Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Your opinion on ZDaemon 1.02

What do you think of ZDaemon 1.02?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of ZDaemon 1.02?

• It is AWESOME!
    • Ugh, it is buggy as hell!
    • Meh, I do not play ZDaemon that much to care
    • ZDaemon? Wtf?

so far only lag is an issue for me. will post any other gripes later.

::edit:: I forgot one thing that almost killed me. in a regular doom2 dm falling damage was set. when I fell from a height I got hurt a little and the screen just went nuts. it was flashing red in a strobe like effect. not good for me, or anyone else who has to deal with stroboscopic epilepsy. I still have a headache.

Trasher][ said:
Oh, and let's not forget the lack of a "No BFG" Dmflag for those Dwango5Map01 servers.

No BFG would 1) be hard to do and 2) be gayer than Richard Simmons and Christopher Lowell's child.

I already said on another thread that it should have been called a "public beta" for a couple of weeks. Just to keep people from saying it sucks because of any bugs, and to encourage them to report them. Hmm, that reminds me to check if Raider has listed the bugs I've seen...

Anyone finding any bugs should check http://zdaemon.org to see if the bug or problem is listed, and mail about it if not.

Trasher][ said:
Oh, and let's not forget the lack of a "No BFG" Dmflag for those Dwango5Map01 servers.

That's a silly request, but if that's what you really want, make a simple DEH patch that makes the BFG invisible and an item that can't be picked up (changing the bit values only.) It's not up to the coder to mess with the game removing its features. Adding options is one thing, but clipping off main parts of the game?

I'd do that, except

1.) I don't run those Dwango5Map01 servers
2.) I can't use Dehacked and I'm sure many serverops have this problem too.

So, yeah. And BBG, trust me. It's no fun when someone's just abusing the game to his gain. Or perhaps... what's your Zdaemon level?

Trasher][ said:
I'd do that, except

1.) I don't run those Dwango5Map01 servers
2.) I can't use Dehacked and I'm sure many serverops have this problem too.

So, yeah. And BBG, trust me. It's no fun when someone's just abusing the game to his gain. Or perhaps... what's your Zdaemon level?

Pfft, dude, I can dodge the BFG easy. Remember, corners and walls are your friend. Any kind of cover = no pain. Then rush the SOB with your double barrel and frag him before he can get another shot off.

I have come to a conclusion.

The BFG is a great gun, quite powerful, yet unpredictable, which evens it up a little. However, there are certain maps where it's way too easy to abuse it in ways that ruin everyone else's fun. One way to offset BFG spam is to run maps that are less likely to suffer from BFG spam.

EDIT: go to Zdaemon forums to see the image.

GOD!, why not learn how to dodge the bfg?...
Well, I use bfg alot, I know, but I also use the other weapons...

And btw, Zdaemon is cool... but it lag a little bit too much sometimes and there is some errors back. :/
But when they are fixed, god come down from heaven and start playing Doom, heh :)

I just tried to log in, but it seems my account's password was changed, so...
Guess I'll have to sign up again.

It seems to have quite a few connection problems, but I am behind a
firewall that seems to affect that. It works, and I love playing on it.

VolteFace, lots of people are getting that problem now.

Trasher][ said:

heh. didn't that flame war already happened on the zdaemon forums? personally I don't care if a map has a bfg or not. I rarely use it anyway cuz I'm not that good with it.

Well if it wasnt so god damn laggy! EVERY server is lagged up baaaaaaad. Get it fcking sorted. Im in UK, but even so, on old zdaemon i had no lag. The pings shown are bollocks, i ping as 170 and it feels like im pinging 400 plus, and the plasma is stuttery and lagged up with a second or so fire delay. The damage inflicted on you doesnt seem as it did before, yu seem to take more damage easily. Some players move so fast they pop up from nowhere in front of you when they were miles behind. Its pissed up in my opinion. Get it bloody sorted. And before anyone says, its not my connection, cause on old zdaemon my games were smooth as a babys bum with no lag/slowdown.Go back to CSdoom and i get a decent game.

Anyone else having error message trying to run old zdaemon? Or is that cos servers only supporting the new version?

So, for me, zdaemon 1.2 disappointing so far. Get the abysmally lagged up servers sorted, then ill be happy. And some UK servers would be appreciated.

Fluffy Tedster said:

Anyone else having error message trying to run old zdaemon? Or is that cos servers only supporting the new version?

Master server is set for the new zdaemon. Kiss the old zdaemon goodbye!

Zdaemon 1.02, 1.03 need some bugs fixed. Actually, I don't know if they are bugs or intentional programming choices. We planned to use it at yesterday's LAN party but found some weapon behavior alteration or bug that some of us didn't like at all. Specifically, most of us play with mlook on, and in my case I have a key to toggle it on in selected circumstances. I've always especially liked using rockets and with zdoom, mlook allows a player to fire rockets up or down into areas where an opponent is not directly visible but can take splash damage. What a disppointment to find that, although zdaemon does allow mlook, the weapons don't shoot where the crosshair points, they only shoot straight ahead. Yes, I know that this is original doom/doom2 behavior, and some prefer it, but we still want the option to use mlook properly to aim our weapons in certain conditions.

The answer was at hand for the party, simply use the latest zdoom 2.0 p27. It was perfect, not one consistency failure between 6 players over four hours. Some machines were Win 98, some were XP.

That's not entirely our experience, Erik. With increasing number of players at a LAN and the usual bit of disorganization and a computer glitch here and there, it's a great backup to have one or two zdaemon servers operating so players can jump in and out of the games as they wish. Timelimits, fraglimits and map rotations keep the action going. With the low ping everyone has on a LAN, we can't tell much difference between zdaemon and zdoom.