Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.M.

GOTTAGOFAST [Now on idgames!]

i completed it around 1 hour and 30+ minutes, it was fantastic! i played all the levels and is fun from the start to end! had alot of fun playing! i totally loved! ^.=.^ * the level design never makes you lost and is very straight forward, is linear but not in the bad way, is in the VERY good way! and yes, maps take around 5 minutes to complete! you made a really good and fun wad, 5/5! ^.=.^

and the story is 10/10, can't top that!

Just finished it, a lot of really fun maps in this. I love these short little romps, you can definitely see the Scythe influence in it. I do have a few criticisms, however. First of all, the first few maps rely a bit too much on teleporting groups of monsters into the same room you are in. While I do like the tight combat in the wad, this gets a bit tiring early on, thankfully, later, its not as bad. My least favorite map is easily the map07 replacement. It doesn't do the WAD any service, and in my opinion, no wad released in (current year) should have such a dry rehash of a map made twenty-six years ago. Honestly, I would cut that map completely and replace it with something more original. My favorite maps are "Cybersphincter," "Scoot the Burbs," and "Cyberpipes." Cybersphincter partakes in a trope I really like (the cyberdemon in the center you can't kill until the end trope). Scoot the Burbs is a good taste of mild slaughter, nothing extreme at all, but a lot of fun. Finally, Cyberpipes was a really simple concept that turned out to be really fun, in certain moments, I felt like me and the cyberdemons had joined forces, firing rockets to the cacos and revenants above (couldn't really get the first cybie to infight with the imps). That element alone made the final map worth it. I also found the last room hilarious, the square startan room just filled with monsters, it had my smiling like an idiot. Anyhow, those are my thoughts, hope you find my feedback useful.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:51 AM, Egg Boy said:

Just finished it, a lot of really fun maps in this. I love these short little romps, you can definitely see the Scythe influence in it. I do have a few criticisms, however. First of all, the first few maps rely a bit too much on teleporting groups of monsters into the same room you are in. While I do like the tight combat in the wad, this gets a bit tiring early on, thankfully, later, its not as bad. My least favorite map is easily the map07 replacement. It doesn't do the WAD any service, and in my opinion, no wad released in (current year) should have such a dry rehash of a map made twenty-six years ago. Honestly, I would cut that map completely and replace it with something more original. My favorite maps are "Cybersphincter," "Scoot the Burbs," and "Cyberpipes." Cybersphincter partakes in a trope I really like (the cyberdemon in the center you can't kill until the end trope). Scoot the Burbs is a good taste of mild slaughter, nothing extreme at all, but a lot of fun. Finally, Cyberpipes was a really simple concept that turned out to be really fun, in certain moments, I felt like me and the cyberdemons had joined forces, firing rockets to the cacos and revenants above (couldn't really get the first cybie to infight with the imps). That element alone made the final map worth it. I also found the last room hilarious, the square startan room just filled with monsters, it had my smiling like an idiot. Anyhow, those are my thoughts, hope you find my feedback useful.

Thanks for the feedback. When it comes to MAP07, I guess I just felt an obligation to use the Dead Simple mechanics. I'm working on making the map feel more like an actual map instead of that same "mancubi then arachnotrons" arena that's been done countless times. I apologize for not responding to you earlier. I was busy working on new maps for the wad. Here's a sneak peek.

Screenshot_Doom_20200818_225615.png.710001eac8c2c177d5002ecc048035ed.png

It's high time I stop procrastinating and post the latest update. Here it is.

GOTTAGOFAST_BETA_V02.zip

Maps 21 to 26 have been added. I also revamped MAP07.

New level descriptions and screenshots:

Spoiler

DOOM0039.png.f3c2cb519c501469a5ecf976d3a9b2c9.png

MAP21 - Underworld

This level is mostly an homage to the various Hell levels in Scythe. It's short, but still a challenge.

DOOM0040.png.687eb725ff85a7e5995937ceef78ff78.png

MAP22 - Fireproof Wood

For this one I decided to make an Episode 4-inspired level. I always thought it was strange how Hell was full of wood that never caught on fire, hence the name.

DOOM0041.png.a6241be00c9c2ebbb960ac8004514282.png

MAP23 - Kablamo!

This is, without a doubt, the most evil map in the entire wad. This also just might be the most evil map I've made to date. It combines Doom II's MAP23 with Scythe's MAP28. You have exactly 28 seconds to beat the level. If you don't, then an off-screen crusher will blow up a bunch of barrels that will gib a voodoo doll and thus kill you. It's possible to UV MAX this map, but it's really hard.

DOOM0042.png.de488b9e62757337e646ccf1e380d12e.png

MAP24 - Flesh Mall

The name of this level is a reference to a Paul Blart meme. It takes place in a mall made of flesh. The top floor is guarded by Mancubi mall cops and the shoppers are hostile. You then go inside the stomach of the mall demon and fight a cyberdemon in a small arena. It's pretty typical except for all of the imps that are teleporting in and blocking you. The fight is fast and chaotic but still beatable.

DOOM0043.png.37a87f12ea76c46ae2863382b35b6fa1.png

MAP25 - Sweet Sweet Fluids

"I want your sweet sweet fluids!" For this map I decided to make an homage to E4M1. It was also for this reason that I made the map really hard. Some of these traps are downright cruel. I came dangerously close to getting visplane overflows on this map, so if certain parts look underdetailed, that's why.

DOOM0044.png.d74ee59752b1b092bd70b08f4d0c1de5.png

MAP26 - Super Sanic

It's slaughter time! My goal with this level was to create a slaughter map that was fun to play. The design isn't all that fancy. It just focuses entirely on the slaughter. Not only that, but the only weapon it gives you is the BFG. That tells you everything you need to know.

Edited by E.M.

Alright! I've played the new crop of maps as well as the new map07 and here are my thoughts! Since there aren't a ton of new maps, I'll break down my thoughts on each.

Map07 - Hitscanner hell. Better than the original map07 for sure, it was kind of like a segmented arena rather than a straight rehash of dead simple. I would have liked areas overlooking the rooms, maybe some side areas, but what's here isn't bad.

Map21 - I liked this one, pretty fun and definitely reminded quite a bit of Scythe's first Hell map, didn't really get any overt homages to scythe's other e3 maps, especially in terms of difficulty. This map was not very hard, but that's alright. On another note, the music choice was pretty goofy, and I appreciate that.

Map22 - I imagine if Sandy Petersen had made a map for E4, this is what it would have been like. A fun map with a few mean traps, especially the imps and the hell knights in that tiny room. One thing I wasn't a fan of was that caco encounter with the rocket launcher. Its pretty much ripped directly out of map17 of Doom 2. I think something should be added to modify it a bit, like revenant snipers or something.

Map23 - A bit of a rip off of Run From It from Scythe, but nothing offensive. Not much to say here besides that part at the end where you have to wait getting me twice because I thought I had less time than I did.

Map24 - Felt like a map someone may have made in the 90s trying to create something approximate to a real place. Well, if their local mall had flesh escalators I suppose. It was a cute and short map. I particularly like the chaingunner store filled with what I can only assume are happy customers. The cyberdemon fight at the end was a bit tight, but nothing circle strafing can't handle, even if I'm getting caught on imps every few seconds.

Map25 - Did I say Map07 was hitscanner hell? Well this map is basically e4m1 but replace the shotgunners with chaingunners. I thought the instapop in the room before the "slayer" room was a bit excessive. There were a few brutal teleport traps that were a bit entertaining, but I avoided all of them by running out of the room and finding a nice big corner to camp around.

Map26 - A basic slaughter map. Nothing too crazy, but I didn't really hate it. Besids that room at the end, very cheesy.

Gave this a shot because I like these kind of short and sweet maps, and overall it's quite good. Visually it's very tidy, with clean vanilla detailing that I like, though maybe it's a bit square in parts. You can feel the Scythe influence in the early maps, being short and sweet techbases with few higher tier monsters, but after around map 4 or so your individual style becomes a lot more prominent (which is also good). The new map 7 is quite difficult and maybe packed a little too densely with hitscanners. I was able to beat map 26 on HMP but not UV because I ran out of ammo. 

I completed the last few maps a few days ago, but once again, I spaced it off, so I guess I'll post it now before I start on my NaNoWadMo project. It now includes a DEHACKED file which includes the changed map names as well as changed intermission text. Since the wad doesn't have anything resembling a story, I just filled it up with jokes pertaining to the Sonic fandom.

More info: 

Spoiler

MAP27 - Monster Condom

You probably already knew this joke was coming. This level is like Doom 2's Monster Condo, but way harder. Punch the Cyberdemon in the butt to get the red key. Claustrophobic fights occur after that.

MAP28 - Detroit

This is probably the hardest level in the entire wad. As soon as you press that switch at the beginning, you're gonna be faced with a bunch of monsters. You'll have to be quick on your feet if you want to survive. Once you get over the initial onslaught, the rest of the map isn't as difficult, but it's still a challenge. It used to be harder, but I put a megasphere at the beginning to make the experience less frustrating.

MAP29 - Heck On Earth

My main source of inspiration for this map was Plutonia's MAP29. It's a city level whose streets are packed full of monsters. The rocket launcher is your best friend here. There's also a secret BFG and invulnerability in the Archvile House. There's a reason why it's called the Archvile House.

MAP30 - Zap to the Extreme

Here it is, the final level. It's loosely based on Hell Revealed's MAP24. It has 666 enemies on UV. Haha, one of the edgy numbers. The exit is right in front of you, but you need all three keys which are at the ends of three branching paths. You can complete the paths in any order you want, although some orders are easier than others.

(No pictures this time because I reached the filesize cap for this thread.)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4i0zds4mgy9y3ik/GOTTAGOFAST_BETA_V03.zip/file

(Had to use Mediafire instead of uploading to Doomworld directly due to filesize limits.)

Finally got around to these last few maps! Here's some feedback as usual, and like last time, they will be by map since there are so few.

Map27:

Spoiler

image.png.d270f1e0d0051f8cdaf6a5815cbf2ad4.png

I'm going to assume you are intended to punch the cyberdemon. Its a bit boring, but he doesn't take long to kill, might be nicer if you did damage to him with barrels or something prior to the player entering that area so that it isn't such a dull 30 seconds, haha. The part with all the lowering walls coming down, layer after layer, to reveal stronger monsters was really cute, reminded me of something Sandy Petersen might do in monster condo, which, again, was probably intentional because of the name. The ending of the map is also an obvious homage to monster condo. I've noticed a trend with these later maps being extremely referential. Honestly, its not a huge deal to me, but it does seem like ideas are getting a bit harder to come by, this late in the game.

Map28:

A slaughter-lite map. Kind of feels like a blown up Dead Simple with the focus on arachnotrons and mancubuses. A will say, I felt like the first and last cyberdemons were the only ones that mattered, the rest were just kind of there, not particularly threatening since they are behind a ton of meatshields. For the most part, though, I enjoyed the map, my favorite part was the pinch you get into when the two archviles are revealed, and there are like 40 mancubuses behind you, a nasty trap for sure!

Map29:

And as precedent was set by Plutonia and Scythe, the second to last map must be a city map! This one felt like Scoot the Burbs but turned up to 11. Lots of fun, the BFG secret is hilarious, as well. One of my favorites in the set for sure, very simple, but very fun. One problem I have with it is that its kind of anticlimactic. Everything after the blue key is a breeze, and even the mancubus that spawn in before it aren't much trouble. Still, its a fun arena map.

Map30: 

Honestly, this one's not for me. It just felt too grindy, even with the BFG secret in mind. I only got 81% of the kills because I didn't bother killing the archvile sniper horde, the caco horde and the mancubus sniper horde. I cleaned out the first room, then basically used it as a safe space whenever I didn't feel like fighting whatever was around me, since all teleporters take you there. 

Really cool mapset. The Sonic memery made me think this was going to be a joke wad of some sort but it's far from it; really fun, Scythe/TVR! -esque short maps. I like how each map has a distinct theme or an idea that the map is centered around, often direct homages to classic maps in Scythe / Doom 2 / Plutonia etc. But while the homages or parodies are very obvious, you make something of your own out of them so nothing feels like a complete rip-off of the original map. Obviously a big part of the charm here are all the small jokes you've thrown in into the maps & map names and I genuinely cracked a laugh a couple of times (The Inmost Diner, Slayer tag, monster closets in Monster Condom to name a few). Your have a pretty classic mapping style wrt visuals, simplistic but clean and polished. 

I was a bit worried that the set would be a bit too easy overall since I seemed to breeze through the maps, but difficulty and intensity definitely ramped up a bit in the last third. The final few maps turned mildly slaughtery but nothing too tough. In true Scythe fashion map30 is considerably longer and meatier than the rest of the set, didn't help that I found the BFG very late. Some might call the map a bit grindy but I didn't mind.

So yeah, really good shit and a couple of evenings well spent with this. I recorded UV pistol start FDAs for all maps (with glboom+), which can be found in the attachment if you are interested.

FDA_GGF_01-32.zip

Somehow missed this til now, really glad to see a new vanilla wad. Gonna play this soon and leave some feedback.

Just played through to map06 - really liking it so far, pure vanilla goodness right here. The only issue I've encountered so far while playing in DOSBox is that the MIDI used on map04 causes a crash. This is excellent stuff! Will update this post more as I get further through.

Edited by Doomkid

@Egg Boy I openly admit that MAP27 was sort of an experimental map similar to the ones that Sandy Petersen made. I knew that not everyone would be a fan of it, but I went through with it anyway just to see what the reaction would be. Oh well. It's better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. I'm glad you liked MAP29. My goal with that one was to make a map where you just plowed through hordes of enemies with the rocket launcher.

@Doomkid Well that's strange. I got that MIDI off Tom Mustaine's official website and it worked with Chocolate Doom. I went ahead and replaced it with the MUS file from Perdition's Gate. Hopefully that works. Let me know if you find any other gamebreaking bugs.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xvb7vq4xs4kpizr/GOTTAGOFAST_BETA_V04.zip/file

Has anyone found any other game-breaking bugs or glitches? If not, I'll go ahead and upload this to idgames after one final round of playtesting to make sure everything works. By the way, I also made an ENDOOM using the ENDEDIT tool @jval made. It's just another one of those "teehee funny" things the wad is full of.

DvrseIp.png

That’s an excellent Endoom right there. I haven’t beaten the entire thing, but I played through most of this and really liked it, didn’t find any bugs or anything either. I’ll have to finish the last stretch soon here just to be sure nothing plays up.

Cool can’t wait to see it, hope you use some different textures and craft some unique themes. May I suggest 32in24-15 Tex?

4 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Cool can’t wait to see it, hope you use some different textures and craft some unique themes. May I suggest 32in24-15 Tex?

I'm definitely gonna be using custom textures. Vanilla textures are fine and good, but now I'm at the point where I want more variety.

I just completed this mapset.

Really enjoyable and really fun.

One of the best vanilla mapsets of the year for sure.

Only maps that give me a little problem, that is just dying a few times, were map20 and map28.

The rest offer a really fair and fun challenge.
Short and ultra challenging maps are not something that come around much, so this one goes into my favourites ;)

The Sonic's songs and the art surelly helped me to want to complete it.
I even searched for a custom mugshot of Sonic to use while playing this hahaha :P