Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat Grazza Demos Month

We're going back to the old school format of these demo months and focusing on one player again. This time we'll be beating runs by pacifist aficionado and frequent demo month contributor @Grazza. :) With over 1200 demos to choose from, from 306 WADs, across eighteen years of speedrunning, there should be plenty to choose from! DSDA page: https://www.dsdarchive.com/players/grazza.

Rules:

• 1 point for being the first to beat a run from DSDA
  • If someone subsequently beats your run, they steal your point!
  • Only beating existing records from Grazza is eligible for points.
  • Demos beaten by just tics are not accepted.
  • Demos must be on the proper compatibility for the WAD. This applies even if the previous run was not run that way, i.e., it was run in Legacy or a bugged PrBoom.
    • The exception here is if the run explicitly relies on the compatibility it's on for some strategy exclusive to that compatibility. This is usually mentioned either as a demo note or in the textfile (e.g., a demo in Legacy abusing Legacy behavior)
  • Demos on Other categories accepted
  • NM-Speed and NM100 Pacifist demos MUST be beaten pacifist to qualify for points.
    • This applies even if DSDA does not mention that the previous run is pacifist, so please make sure to watch the prior run to double check.

There's an additional special set of points available for beating a set of demos with difficulties assigned by Grazza. His demos and comments are available below:

Spoiler

Not optimal (clearly possible to take some time off, but might be vexing):

• builnp15 (maybe this way madness lies...) on build.wad
  • dc04p004 and dc04n004 (darkcvnt.wad - I've done a low 4, so 3 must be feasible)
  • drunn047 (deadrun1.wad)
  • 4d05p020 (fa4d.wad)
  • kp13-010 (ksutra.wad) - heh
  • ic10n004 (icarus.wad)
  • ic22p020 (icarus.wad)
  • newci132 (newcity.wad)
  • nl05p006 (nitelife.wad)
  • nl06s035 (nitelife.wad)
  • r2c0p025 (r2wolfd2.wad)
  • ram2n014 (ramhits.wad)
  • rige-126 (rigel1.wad - old Legacy demo, but probably no big time difference due to that)
  • s572p015 (sector57.wad)
  • mp28p011 (smfsp8.wad - evil to include this, but there is clearly a time-loss)
  • ssbap023 (ssbase.wad)
  • trydp034 (trydent.wad)
  • tv10-036 (tvr.wad)

Tough pacifists (tough to get an exit at all, though probably plenty of time can be saved):

• 6l01np59 (6lev.wad)
  • c209p255 (cchest2.wad)
  • dg06p947 (doomgirl.wad)
  • en03p245 (enigma.wad)
  • m1e1p138 (megawad.wad)
  • mom1p758 (momser.wad)
  • nl02p046 (nitelife.wad)
  • nl06p137 (nitelife.wad)
  • r2c6p124 (r2wolfd2.wad)

Beating any in the first set will net you one bonus point in addition to the regular point received for beating it that will not get stolen! For the second set, this is upped to three bonus points! Good luck!

Update: there's an additional 32 demos from Grazza that qualify for additional points! Two bonus points will be awarded per demo from the new list below, resulting in a total of 64 new bonus points available that will not be stolen. Keep the demos comin'! :)

Spoiler
  • sv05n422 on aboosysv (NM Speed) - tough NM
  • ang6p016 on angel (UV Pacifist)
  • aw10-116 on awad2 (UV Tyson) - crushers
  • clifn012 on cliffs11 (NM Speed)
  • cal3-042 on callisto (UV Speed) - 80s muzak!
  • cw01np34 on caswar3 (NM Pacifist) - should have shot him at home
  • c209r124 on cchest2 (UV Respawn)
  • c232p030 on cchest2 (UV Pacifist)
  • colon017 on coloseum (NM Speed) - try the backward stroller too!
  • coygf658 on coyg (UV Fast) - Choke on Your Guts as They Spill from Your Mouth!
  • deep-158 on deepatak (UV Speed)
  • el05p021 on elegy (UV Speed/Pacifist) - cute and lots of wallrunning
  • en04p112 on enigma (UV Pacifist) - nicer route than the Speed and NM
  • equ1p020 on equino-x (UV Pacifist)
  • hx12-247 on hacx (use hacx.wad and hacx.deh) - Hacx needs more love [Legacy demo, but the same route should work with cl2]
    • 4shockblast note: use Hacx 1.1 with the standard HACX.DEH for running this
  • hr01s019 on hr (UV Stroller)
  • ic04p012 on icarus (UV Pacifist) - hadn't included this earlier, but since I did 0:10 on NM...
  • ks23s029 on ksutra (UV Stroller)
  • le06p131 on lastep1 (UV Pacifist)
  • n_mar639 on n_mariko (UV Max) - sanity test
  • pool1915 on poolpty2 (UV Max) - not a challenge to beat the time, but throwing a bone to you Maxers :)
  • r2c5t300 on r2wolfd2 (UV Tyson)
  • ra38p425 on rage20 (UV Pacifist) - tricky pacifist
  • rv16-018 on revenger (UV Speed)
  • rw17p021 on rw (UV Pacifist)
  • r210p108 on rw2 (UV Pacifist) - boss brain pacifist
  • mp31ps30 on smfsp8 (UV Pacifist, Secret Exit)
  • sq32p238 on squadron (UV Pacifist) - boss brain pacifist
  • tlo6p039 on thelord (UV Pacifist)
  • thun-058 on thunder2 (UV Speed) - timing
  • too1p026 on too1337 (UV Pacifist) - bugs ahoy!
  • zoo2-917 on zoo (UV Max) - low ammo Max

Reward: private chess lesson from Grazza 

Demos must be posted by end of day September 12th.

Point standings:

Player            Demo count            Points
  GrumpyCat         95                    135
  4shockblast       88                    130
  vdgg              58                    70
  Veinen            30                    32
  Dubzzz            12                    11
  wakecold          5                     9
  Andromeda         7                     6
  Keyboard_Doomer   6                     6
  Kyle McAwesome    6                     3
  Pleymo            4                     4
  Kraflab           2                     4
  depr4vity         3                     3
  Aquasa            1                     2
  Revved            2                     2
  Ancalagon         2                     2
  Grazza            1                     1
  PartyCrasher04    1                     1
  Pseudonaut        1                     0

Demos up to https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2187114 have been verified.

Previous thread: May Movie Madness (Beat/Fill Movie Demos Month)

Old threads:

Edited by 4shockblast : update leaderboard

Reward:

private chess lesson from Grazza

LOL. Maybe a free book.

Small correction (to my error): the first one in the first list should be builnp15.lmp - but you could probably work that out. It will be interesting how much time can be taken off some of these.

Regarding the ancient Legacy demos, I don't think there was deliberate abuse of Legacy features, but inadvertent abuse might have happened.

The record view table is useful, but it doesn't include NM Pacifists when there is a faster NM Speed.

18 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Small correction (to my error): the first one in the first list should be builnp15.lmp - but you could probably work that out. It will be interesting how much time can be taken off some of these.

Regarding the ancient Legacy demos, I don't think there was deliberate abuse of Legacy features, but inadvertent abuse might have happened.

The record view table is useful, but it doesn't include NM Pacifists when there is a faster NM Speed.

Fixed the error. Good point on the NM pacifist note; there's no easy way to find NM pacifists that may not be marked on DSDA and aren't records for NM, but if someone finds one and beats it pacifist, that's also acceptable.

For the compat stuff, I mostly recall https://www.dsdarchive.com/wads/gather2, but I guess there's a faster regular UV-Speed, so not sure if I'd accept a run with the abuse of the AV behavior. There's another wad I vaguely recalled when writing up that rule and did some digging to find just now that was in cl9 on a WAD with ZDoomisms, but I guess the WAD was intended for Boom too based on its textfile, so I guess that's not necessarily abuse as much as the author messing up an intended compat. :P So, maybe that rule doesn't really apply to anything, but I'll leave it in just in case.

sadhusct

MAP01 Pacifist in 0:09.83
MAP02 Pacifist in 0:12.97
MAP05 Pacifist in 0:05.46
MAP06 Pacifist in 0:06.23

I hope you'll forgive me for already taking all the prestigious runs.
MAP02 demo recorded back in February when I discovered this life-changing wad thanks to another Grazza's demo that was part of Beat 1000 Demos Month.

sad01p983.zip

sad02p012.zip

sad05p546.zip

sad06p623.zip

12 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

For the compat stuff, I mostly recall https://www.dsdarchive.com/wads/gather2, but I guess there's a faster regular UV-Speed

Ah, that one. I only realized afterwards that I had benefitted greatly from Legacy's lack of ghost monsters, and that soon led to me abandoning Legacy in favour of the very imperfect form of Prboom that existed at the time. As you say, the faster demo despite the swarm of ghost imps renders the point moot from the point of view of this contest. :) Deliberate abuse demos that I should note: the cl8 on Weklesse is just me being a dick, while cl0 on E1M7 of Kneedeep makes a huge difference, but is arguably more legitimate (discussed in the .txt). As far as I know/recall, cl0 made no real difference in the small number of other demos where I used it.

Edit: a complevel history lesson may be in order, in case anyone is baffled by some of the comments in older txts referring to "-complevel 1", "-complevel 5" and stuff which by current norms look like very rarely used non-standard settings. In January 2006, a new release of Prboom+ (2.2.6.25) changed all the numerical complevels. Previously "-complevel 1" just meant "1.9", with Prboom tweaking the precise behaviour (Registered/Doom2, Ultimate, or Final Doom) according to the iwad used. The expansion of this into complevels 2-4, and the additional of some other new ones, bumped Boom 2.02 from "-complevel 5" to "-complevel 9", etc. So assume unless stated otherwise that the old demos use the standard complevels for the particular pwad/iwad, even if the number given looks odd.

Edited by Grazza

Are we allowed to use marsw301 instead of marswar? Not counting MAP11 which is different on UV.

Edit: in that case, MAP05 UV Max, and a few others, is not a record.

@Dimon12321  fixed

@4shockblast: Sorry for messing with your OP, but apart from what Dimon said, the "previous thread" was leading to Beat 1000 demos month, so I corrected that as well

7 hours ago, vdgg said:

@Dimon12321  fixed

@4shockblast: Sorry for messing with your OP, but apart from what Dimon said, the "previous thread" was leading to Beat 1000 demos month, so I corrected that as well

Cool, no worries, thanks for fixing the link! WRT to Marswar vs marsw301, if the maps didn't change between the versions, using marsw301 is fine. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the differences between both wads; is just map 11 different? And yeah, if the same map was done faster in the new version, that doesn't qualify as a record. I suppose that point applies across the board; e.g., old versions of AV, Scythe 2 if they were recorded on, or stuff that is also in WADPAK or something.

OK so here's marswar breakdown:

The following are still records

map04 uv max
map05 uv speed
map09 uv fast
map19 uv max
map23 uv fast
map32 uv max

I would rather use marsw301, the maps are identical. They only have nodes rebuilt.

Plus:

map11 UV Speed
map11 UV Max

MAP11 (marswar) has BFG replaced with plasma in marsw301. It is the only map with a significant change (besides 15,20,25 which have no Grazza runs). In this case use marswar.wad. BTW I did max in marsw301 but my demo is slower for obvious reasons.