Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat Grazza Demos Month

3 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

Found another WAD where the demos desync with the DSDA version: https://dsdarchive.com/wads/grendel1. It seems this one is the correct one: https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Terravia-Part-1-Assault-Drop-v3-0-1.

@Grazza, is there any chance you have the original zip that you used for this one? The Wad Archive link only allows to download the file itself.

It was on at least three old shovelware disks; here is one link. Sorry, I didn't notice that it was a later version in the archive.

19 hours ago, Grazza said:

It was on at least three old shovelware disks; here is one link. Sorry, I didn't notice that it was a later version in the archive.

OK, thanks, should be reflected on DSDA now.

Perdition's Gate by Alex Mayberry (not to be confused with 4shockblast's favourite, commercial megawad of the same name).

I may have played it a bit in the past, and I think I wasn't impressed. This time, I also wasn't impressed with maps 1,2,3 (they look fine for 1995, but the gameplay sucks). MAP05 is great, though.

MAP01 UV Speed in :56

MAP01 Tyson in 2:48

MAP01 NM 100 in 1:38

MAP03 UV Speed in 1:57

MAP05 UV Speed in 7:51

pdg1-056.zip

pdg1t248.zip

pdg1s138.zip

pdg3-157.zip

pdg5-751.zip

57 minutes ago, Bdubzzz said:

I believe the rule "Demos must be on the proper compatibility for the WAD." means that the deh should be used. The only reason my old demo fucked up in that respect was because of an ancient bug (no defined translucency for monsters) in Prboom's dehacked support (this demo eventually prompted a fix in Prb+).

4shockblast: I had thought of adding fort5 map04 Max to the "not optimal" list, but wasn't sure. :) I'll click on "like" once you've actually added the attachment.

18 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I believe the rule "Demos must be on the proper compatibility for the WAD." means that the deh should be used. The only reason my old demo fucked up in that respect was because of an ancient bug (no defined translucency for monsters) in Prboom's dehacked support (this demo eventually prompted a fix in Prb+).

4shockblast: I had thought of adding fort5 map04 Max to the "not optimal" list, but wasn't sure. :) I'll click on "like" once you've actually added the attachment.

Oops, that's the second time I did that, I added an attachment.

Hmm, yeah, technically, runs with and without the DEH aren't really comparable, which is why I wasn't sure what exactly to do with this case. Also, the textfile seems to say as if the DEH is actually optional here too, so maybe runs with and without the DEH are both valid anyway. :D

Spoiler

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. UNZIP ALL THIS JISM INTO YOUR DOOM DIRECTORY
2. COPY DOOM2.EXE TO EOB2S.EXE
3. EDIT THE DEHACKED.INI TO PROVIDE ACCURATE PATH STATEMENTS FOR DOOM2.WAD, 
        etc... Be sure to write EOB2S.EXE as the edited exe file.
4. TYPE "dehacked -load eob2s.deh"
5. TYPE "eye2" TO PLAY!

NOTE: If you don't want to use an edited exe file, you don't have to.
        Just run eob2s.wad like any other wad file.
        "doom2 -file eob2s.wad"
        and you're off!

Not sure if that part is to be interpreted as both are "intended" ways to play the maps, or that someone just can skip the DEH, but it's not really what the maps were made for. Right now the DSDA doesn't really have a way of handling optional DEHs either, not sure how commonly that happens and what a good way of displaying that would be.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard Map 24 Stroller in 0:17 (prev: 0:19).

As a side note, I updated a bunch of ZDoom runs on the H2H XMas page to be Other/Incompatible, so there's more records to go through now: https://www.dsdarchive.com/wads/h2h-xmas. :) FYI, this applies across all records, if a run is beaten by the wrong compat, it still counts as a record even if the table doesn't list it that way.

ic24str017.zip

Talking of h2h-xmas, my old map22 demo there desyncs because of a MISSEDBACKSIDE overflow. So to get a correct compatible demo (i.e. one that doesn't desync in vanilla), make sure emulation of that overflow is enabled. And if you want to watch my old demo in prb+, temporarily turn emulation of this overflow off.