Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

Heelbain, Atmospheric UDMF project (with resources v6)

2 hours ago, EmptyCell said:

Must say, that you made me curious about what you'll make with this project. Unfortunately, I didn't find this opener much atmospheric, rather thematically intriguing.

My thoughts:

1) Very simplistic building architecture

As this is still work in progress, I assume this will be changed. But making buildings into square-ish shapes are kind of meh.

2) Very loud fly sound

The sound of flies flying around the corpses at the beginning of the opener are very loud. Would be great, if you would mix the volume down of the sound file or put the sound origin further from the player.

3) Very well lit environment

Since this is based around atmosphere, I thought it could do some good if you would lower the brightness in well lit areas. Also, you could use point lights to your advantage.

4) Too short

I understand that this is supposed to be an intro of kind, but feels a tad bit bland for an opening level.

5) Main menu track issue

Main menu track just continues playing itself, when starting the map.

This is an issue with your MAPINFO lump, since you've written that MAP01 should look for a file called "none".

If you don't want to play any music as the map starts then just put 2 quotation marks with nothing in between them (i.e.: music = "").

Anyway, wish you good luck with your project.

Thanks for the detailed review. I especially agree about the buildings being too simplistic.

Off to a good start Obake! Feels very different from anything I've played before and I enjoy it for that.
Notes
- Fly noise is rather hard on the ears
- Level feels a bit short. Might help to have it go on a little while longer and fight another ~10 monsters.
- Can't figure out how to unlock 2nd secret despite 1st one being very easy. I know where it is (flew around) but zero clue on how I would get there in-game.

9 hours ago, Captain Caleb said:

Off to a good start Obake! Feels very different from anything I've played before and I enjoy it for that.
Notes
- Fly noise is rather hard on the ears
- Level feels a bit short. Might help to have it go on a little while longer and fight another ~10 monsters.
- Can't figure out how to unlock 2nd secret despite 1st one being very easy. I know where it is (flew around) but zero clue on how I would get there in-game.

9 hours ago, Kachakeño said:

It's very short (for now) so it works on LZDoom 3.86a with no noticeable fps drops.

Thanks for playing!

As for the second secret, there is a switch inside the area you have to crouch to get through. The switch will lower the floor with the Berserk. As for the fly noise, it can certainly be made quieter. Major also said she might help with combat, adding a bit more to the map. Thanks again for the reviews! :)

13 hours ago, PRIMEVAL said:

This is looking very nice!

Thanks very much PRIMEVAL. :)

5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

An absolute banger of an update here.

seeing and hearing your reactions was fantastic! thanks for the kind words :D

The updated resource file:

Here.

Version 1 of the newest map, Map 04: The Meatlocker Experiment

Note this is still a rough sketch of the map, though it is fully beatable. Also note that not all maps will have a public release before Heelbain is compiled and finished.

I can't wait to see what you all think! I want you to pay close attention to the atmosphere. Have fun, and God bless. :)

Screenshot_Doom_20200902_130640.jpg

On 9/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, Taylor1321 said:

Anybody have a link to version 1?

I'd love to see the differences 

Do you mean version 1 of map 01? I can provide a link: here.

The newest version of the resources: Version 5

Version 2 of The Meatlocker Experiment

I have taken advice on improving the CyberBarons. They now attack a little more frequently. There is also a new PSX chain decoration.

I have also added a lot more detail (and even a new secret) to the map.

Also, I forgot to give credit to the music's composer, NatureWorld 1986. This is his track "Underground"

screenmeta.jpg

Version 6 of the resource pack is here.

Added are a few hanging light decorations, and fixes to the hanging corpse decorations so they now work properly. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Quick update: Maps are coming along nicely. Some won't be released until the final compilation. With that said, it would be nice to have some more platytesters. If anyone is interested, let me know!