Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasma Slayer

Recommend some Vanilla Doom/Doom 2 Megawads

I’m currently on a Doom binge and am nearing the end of Hell Revealed. I really want some more, vanilla-compatible Doom/Doom 2 megawads to play.

What ones would you recommend? 

Back To Saturn X, no questions. Also, look up Brad Harding's recommended WAD list on the Doom Retro wiki.

Ultimate Doom

• Doom The Way id Did (DTWiD)
  • No End in Sight episodes 1 through 3 + Beginning of the End Part 1/2 
  • Deathless
  • Base Ganymede
  • NJ Doom
  • Lunar Catastrophe (if you haven't finished it, guessing by your post history)
  • 2002: A Doom Odyssey

Doom II

• Doom II The Way id Did
  • Alien Vendetta
  • Interception
  • Back to Saturn X
  • Perdition's Gate
  • Memento Mori (II)
  • Scythe
  • Kama Sutra
  • Reverie
  • Doom Zero
  • Obituary (get the fixed version)
  • TVR (Revolution!)
  • Akeldama
  • Khorus' Speedy Shit
  • Doom 404
  • Vispire
  • The Return
  • Zone 300

Final Doom

• Plutonia 2
  • Plutonia Revisited Community Project
  • TNT: Revilution

Describing all of these succinctly would take a while, but those are the names that quickly come to mind (or at least are easy to flag down in the Cacowards or on ONEMANDOOM).

Looking at the ones I've mostly completed and can uniquely recommend:

• Both DTWiD main releases, and The Lost Levels for both, are really good at channeling much of how the id maps play and feel like while showing a bit of the authors' personal touches where they count. Having Commander Keen-styled secret maps in D2TWiD is also very fun.
  • Back to Saturn X feels like a proper, long-form successor to the detail-crammed, highly varied exploration maps seen in Alien Vendetta, albeit with a lot more polish. It can get repetitive at times if you play the current releases from start to finish; consider alternating between the episodes instead.
  • Perdition's Gate embodies the rough, experimental, pleasantly humble side of commercial Doom packs. It's got decently complex layouts, some good new custom assets, and strong theme-ing that doesn't obstruct a very Doom II-style experience.
  • Both Memento Mori packs have big ups and downs, but are enjoyable for the most part. It's worth skipping the more noodly, arcane levels if you feel bogged down. Obituary does more with DeHackEd changes and has a more manageable playtime overall, reaching about the same level of early mapping goodness.
  • Scythe has had so much praise recently that another set with short but groovy maps, Revolution!, gets continually ignored. I think the WAD gets a little easy and predictable at points, but TVR's got a lot going for it WRT theme, map speed, and design economy.
  • Zone 300 is some darn rootin' tootin' Doom-cute shootin', and it's excellent for testing gameplay mods. The same goes for The Return, which fits in with Scythe and TVR! as a great middle-era vanilla throwback with more polish and confidence in players' skills than before.

Personally I'm looking to play through what I started with Reverie and Kama Sutra, followed by TNT: Revilution and Base Ganymede.

Edited by PasokonDeacon : Added detailed recommendations

So much vanilla flavour you won’t know what to do with yourself! A lot of the unmentioned / forgotten gems are here just waiting to be played.