Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goopymonster

How to make a text scroll generation script

So I've been working on some modding and wanted to ask if there is a way to make text scroll across this
TBPU9.png.2db07e7b8a62ae850899d125b305dc40.png
my only problem is that its an object that will be in players view in game.
It's a textbox the companion brings up to say something when player does something cool, or dies, presses a button, etc. this textbox needs to have text scroll on it as I have made 300 lines for the companion to say. Doing 300 seperate textboxes, renaming each, and sorting through them in code would be tedious, so I want a message to show up on it that will go in the parameters of the box. Of course the box goes away a short while after the message is shown. The textbox also needs an option and binded button to be pulled up for a dad joke for the companion to make, and a button to pull it away if it is getting in the way of combat. If anyone can give me some ideas on how to achieve this i'd love that.

I've been thinking.... maybe I just need some videos for z scripting in ZDoom decorate.
I have only the smallest idea of how this works
like maybe each phrase contains typed text, and having a script that generates what you typed in on the text box and aligns it on the text box, and each phrase has a name that can be called out to be used because all of these phrases will have an 1 percent chance of happening.
To explain there is also 3 things it will pop up for
A. A good kill streak
B. Player Death
C. Dad jokes (yes there will be a button just for dad jokes)
Dad jokes and player deaths are things that could be set up by themselves as I only need to bind a key for dad jokes and set up a script to have a phrase show up upon death. So basically I guess we would have a template script that picks 1 of 100 of the quotes meant for the event in question, and we would have a script up top that has all the scripting for what triggers the sequence. Then under after all three of those picking scripts are set up below would be the just seas of phrases that mind you are categorized and below the phrases is text alignment and generation scripts. I know a rough outline of how this will work but I have no idea on how to do the scripting
All I need is A. scripting help, or B. a link to separate thread, video, manual about ZDoom coding

Edited by Goopymonster

I've been having my own frustrations lately with trying to find useful tutorials for GZDoom scripting.  A lot of the resources I find seem to be years old or just not that useful in the first place.  There are very few good compilation posts of tutorials; the ones that I find often haven't been updated in years themselves.  A comprehensive "for dummies" type of manual written by a reasonably good communicator would go a long way towards lowering the entry barrier for this stuff, in much the same way as a tool like Ultimate Doom Builder removes the time sinks surrounding map geometry.

13 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

I've been having my own frustrations lately with trying to find useful tutorials for GZDoom scripting.  A lot of the resources I find seem to be years old or just not that useful in the first place.  There are very few good compilation posts of tutorials; the ones that I find often haven't been updated in years themselves.  A comprehensive "for dummies" type of manual written by a reasonably good communicator would go a long way towards lowering the entry barrier for this stuff, in much the same way as a tool like Ultimate Doom Builder removes the time sinks surrounding map geometry.

Marrub has been keeping documentation for ZScript.

See, that might be an excellent reference resource, but unless I'm missing something, it's not likely to be much use to people who are still at the stage of needing a tutorial.

12 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

See, that might be an excellent reference resource, but unless I'm missing something, it's not likely to be much use to people who are still at the stage of needing a tutorial.

And Kappes's tutorials then?

In the recent years of GZDoom the only real significant change in scripting has been ZScript. Surely DECORATE/ACS tutorials are to be there, no?

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And Kappes's tutorials then?

In the recent years of GZDoom the only real significant change in scripting has been ZScript. Surely DECORATE/ACS tutorials are to be there, no?

@Redneckerzany links, manuals, or tutorials you could find? I don't mind this being in thread since its topic related, but then also anything you have to bring to the table when it comes to executing the code for my idea?

1 hour ago, Goopymonster said:

@Redneckerzany links, manuals, or tutorials you could find? I don't mind this being in thread since its topic related, but then also anything you have to bring to the table when it comes to executing the code for my idea?

You saw this already?

New Users Guide to editing with DECORATE

A quick beginners guide to using ACS

Part of:

ZDoom Tutorials

@Redneckerz Thanks for the guides Im slowly getting an idea of how I will execute the process of all of these lines popping up its just the text generation I need help with, I have no idea how I will align the text nor how to connect the number from the randompick to the lines and the text box. If anyone can help with that it would be awesome. The textboxes may not be integral and may have to move the entire idea of the lines to it being said in the gz console

10 minutes ago, Goopymonster said:

@Redneckerz Thanks for the guides Im slowly getting an idea of how I will execute the process of all of these lines popping up its just the text generation I need help with, I have no idea how I will align the text nor how to connect the number from the randompick to the lines and the text box. If anyone can help with that it would be awesome. The textboxes may not be integral and may have to move the entire idea of the lines to it being said in the gz console

Any forthmore questions are best to be asked on the Zdoom forums :)

On 8/14/2020 at 1:28 PM, Redneckerz said:

Any forthmore questions are best to be asked on the Zdoom forums :)

@Redneckerz no replies on it on zdoom forums

so I guess I need help here cause these forums are much more active

13 minutes ago, Goopymonster said:

@Redneckerz no replies on it on zdoom forums

so I guess I need help here cause these forums are much more active

Can you link to the ZD thread in question?

Tried researching this for you but the closest thing I could find was the "Satisfyer Pro 2 text Generation Air-Pulse Clitoris Stimulator".

Screenshot_20200820-150357_Chrome.jpg

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan