Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kool Belzero

Other doom forums

I know that there are other doom forums like the zdoom and zandronum forums. but I’m curious about forums back in the day that were somewhat major but has since been dead/very inactive, so if you knew people or was in these forums I would like see what they were like and how different they were from modern doomworld, and how they became less major/died. 

Have you ever heard about The New Doom Forums?

The Forum was famous back in the days. I remember being there...

The site ended on November, 21, 2019.

As far is i know with my knowledge, DoomWorld uses the same Software that New Doom uses.

Also in the fact that: The New Doom has very small number of Topics, And Forums.

Here are the list of the Forums:

• Rants & Raves
  • DOOM Series
  • Editing
  • Other Games
  • Movies, Music & More
  • Tech Support
  • Artwork & Fiction
  • Showcase
  • Forums Testing
  • Map Reviews
  • Doomsday
  • Doom Legacy
  • Other Source Ports.

NewDoom ended over 5 years ago, did it not? Is this early onset Alzheimer’s?! Every attempt to visit NewDoom has brought me to the RavenSoft Facebook page for many years now, Hell, probably closer to 10 years at this point!

Edit: Whew, ok, that was an archive.org link. I haven’t lost all of my marbles yet.

The old Skulltag forums, which Zandronum was born from, were closed down right after the split. Everything from about 2010 and later was saved in this archive, and for that I’m glad, but everything interesting in ST’s history happened between 2004 and 2009 (on the community side that is, not the development side) - https://x1.rfc1337.net/stforum/

There’s also the old Doom Connector forums which IIRC almost no one used, since simply using a source port forum made more sense for project releases and whatnot.

Edit: There were countless clan forums back in the 00’s but no one cared about those other than the clan members themselves (usually like 5-10 people)

Edited by Doomkid

Post Hell was part of Doomworld but for crappy topics. It ended a couple of years ago. I think you can find it somewhere on Archive. 

Heh, Post Hell is well and truly closed. Even archive.org only has a tiny smattering of old PH threads. Post Hell was the last vestige of a bygone era in the community. It was about time to move on, plus hate hives are numerous online these days in a way they weren’t back in the 00’s, so it went from being a unique and amusing feature to being “just another e-shithole”.

In terms of dead forums, I know there are at least a handful i’m forgetting. AltDeath is the only other one I can remember at the moment..

Not that many Doom forums, I can think of:

• ZDoom
  • Realm667
  • Doomer Boards
  • Slayer Club (Bethesda one)

And probably Mod DB, not as a forumlike, but still has some interesting stuff forum-related.

As for websites, theres quite an interesting bunch that you may find very cool: Doomwiki Websites List

Also, Discord, despite not being true forums, theres a very active Doom community over there that you should check out.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, HitBoi64 said:

Have you ever heard about The New Doom Forums?

The Forum was famous back in the days. I remember being there...

The site ended on November, 21, 2019.

As far is i know with my knowledge, DoomWorld uses the same Software that New Doom uses.

Also in the fact that: The New Doom has very small number of Topics, And Forums.

Here are the list of the Forums:

• Rants & Raves
  • DOOM Series
  • Editing
  • Other Games
  • Movies, Music & More
  • Tech Support
  • Artwork & Fiction
  • Showcase
  • Forums Testing
  • Map Reviews
  • Doomsday
  • Doom Legacy
  • Other Source Ports.

The site ended in 2019? That's completely wrong. The forum was started in 2000. I was a moderator on there and It was shut down in 2014 if my memory is correct. Also what is considered as a small number of topics? I don't see 20,000 + threads as being small, but then again I don't have a clue what other similar forums have as topic #'s.  The forum used vBulletin forum software as you can see on the archived pages at the bottom. I know one thing for sure, 14 years of forum posts going to hell and all you have left is a few waybackmachine scraps, is annoying. Can't even look up something you know existed but now it's gone.

Newdoom also had a post hell but only mods and the admin could see it. I think it wasn't implemented until after the forums were hacked by idiots. I forget what it was called... something Bin. I guess I didn't look at it too often and it was mostly full of spam bot threads.

Doomer Boards is probably the biggest one besides our dear Doomworld.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:59 PM, DSC said:

Doomer Boards is probably the biggest one besides our dear Doomworld.

Lol, yeah. It's filled with people who have been banned from here, DoomWorld. 

1 hour ago, Dranyan said:

Lol, yeah. It's filled with people who have been banned from here, DoomWorld. 

Yeah, that kinda gave the site a very bad reputation... Altough I've never been there, so I can't say anything. 

12 hours ago, DSC said:

Yeah, that kinda gave the site a very bad reputation... Altough I've never been there, so I can't say anything. 

I read some topics there from time to time. They are pretty interesting. Don't think that there are only users banned on DW.

13 hours ago, DSC said:

Doomer likely will also have banned members from Zandronum or ZDoom Forums aswell.

And @Doomkid is there, but the question should rather be: ''On which Doom-related forum is DoomKid not around?''

But yeah NewDoom... it sucks that its not fully archived sadly, despite archive.org efforts.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

the question should rather be: ''On which Doom-related forum is DoomKid not around?''

If it has something to do with Doom, you can bet the Kid will be there with bells on.

My first exposure to the Doom Community was the CompuServe Action Games forum, which I believe predates Doomworld by a good five years.

It shut down in 2000, and I believe the entire contents of it have been lost. Not only does this include all the posts, but you could also upload wads there and there are several which were never uploaded to IDGames - particularly WIPs of projects that ended up being abandoned.

Having said that, I do have several mid-90s UK PC games magazine CDs with various Doom wads on them, and I'm sure at least a couple of them may include downloads from CAG. I really need to get around to looking through them :)

I think this was the original Doomworld. It wasn't a forum, just something odd made by Ling and Dukrous. I found it while doing research for the who created doomworld thread. apparently it was supposed to be a total conversion Doom 2 WAD. more info I found here

There was also a place called Planet Doom, Doom Planet, or something.

And now I've said that I remember I was on forums like that when I was still a teen. I'm now 33.

I rather liked the New Doom forums back in the day. Ironically it was so named with the announcement of Doom 3, but that game took so long to come out that by the time it did, NewDoom.com was primarily a classic Doom website. 

For Doom 3, Doom3world.org was the go-to website. I had some very fond memories of spending a few years on there, especially the effort done to discover the various possibilities the engine offered. Fun times. 

On 8/18/2020 at 5:29 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

I think this was the original Doomworld.

The founders all had their own sites, at the time dedicated to their own projects. ID4Doom was Linguica's. 

There was also a DoomCenter I think. And I think it had similar color scheme to Doomworld. This was back when I was a kid just googling cheat codes and secrets so I wasn’t really aware of the community aspects. I’m now also wondering if it was Doom Planet I’m thinking of. Is Doom Planet from that Gamespy network of sites?

edit: here’s a great throwback link lol https://web.archive.org/web/20010413032730/http://www.doomcenter.com/oldschool/amihotornot/index.phtml

Man i miss old forums. I was in a gaming community back in 2006 I think. There was an entire world there: News, forums topics, technology, paranormal (+18 of course) and of course: videogames. There was a novelty in communities, there were people making signatures upon requests, forums birthdays, tournaments inside the forums, best posts of each year and of course a lot of random things that now could be labeled as "shitpost". People just posted for the sake of increasing their posts count. People from the Brood War subforum would throw shit to the Dota community, Lineage 2 to MU and things like that lol. The most important thing is that you were anonymous. Well, at least the most of us. There were some more "famous" users than even uploaded their own photos.

What happened to that? I left my favorite forum in 2011 but it was pretty much dead. Never saw another thing like that again except for doomworld and nomutantsallowed and the sites all of you posted before. The only thing closer to old forums are Facebook groups and imageboards. You could think that now that even more people play videogames forums communities would be getting bigger and bigger. Please correct me if i'm wrong or uninformed.

I'd never heard of Doomer Boards until reading this thread and as it's supposed to be full of people banned from Doomworld I thought it'd be a laugh to have a look and true enough there's even a "banned from Doomworld" thread.

It seems very hostile over there.

Well, the reason I haven’t mentioned ZDoom, Doomer Boards, Zandronum, iddqd.ru, or even those (horrible) Doom pages on Facebook and Reddit is because they’re nowhere near dead. I do think it’s more useful to list forums that are still active though.

Also, I can’t believe I forgot to link to these ancient gems!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.games.doom

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.computer.doom.misc

You can find all kinds of cool history (and moronic history) from 1994 and on here

The Czech Doom forum Wilou is talking about is liquiddoom.net.

I did a brief dig into Cezch Doom history, and it turns there was once a thriving Czech Doom community centered around speedrunning and multiplayer in the 2000s. Seems nearly all trace of them has disappeared, unless you go to the internet archive, of course. Some links for the curious: idoom.cz, doom5.cz.

Someone more knowledgeable can shed some more light into this.

Sorry for the bump!

Even if it's pretty unused (or just rare that someone write here), but there's this place for Doom Italian community:

https://forum.spaziogames.it/forum/32-doom-italia-horror-paradise/

There was also Doom Universe, but it's pretty abandoned from 2 years:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thedoomuniverse/

Also in italy back in the 90s we had a BBS group called Doom Club BBS, the only evidence I have is some advertising to join the site and some pics that shows the BBS in all its ASCII glory inside the manual of a shovelware discs in my possession called "Doom scenari" and "Doom 2 scenari". When I have time, I'll find them and post some photos of it.

I posted on the zdoom forms but those people aren't as friendly or nice to interact with for my personal experience

You guys over here all right 😁