Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Should I get Blood?

15 hours ago, Jello said:

And yes, you should.

Not trying to sound like an egotistical jerk, but I was actually wondering when I read the thread's title if I was going to get mentioned... Thanks for doing absolutely that, BTW!

And to answer the OP's question, I did indeed follow the advice and started playing Blood. I did not regret it.

It's an alright game- I like it personally, but it's pretty different than Doom, although it has direct references to Doom and Duke Nukem. Perhaps a bit clumsy in some places like the voice work, the cultists sound pretty awful considering they're meant to be like mutated demon worshippers, it's become something of a joke how bad they sound and how they scream.

The monsters are cool. The levels are cool. The guns are cool, if not trying too hard to be different at times. You play as an undead evil guy who generally enjoys being evil, just less evil than the rest of the cult he was a part of I suppose, lol. Kinda apocalyptic, like the world is almost comically going to Hell, ya know. It's a very strange game as far as shooters go.

If you're looking for something like Doom, it's actually more like Heretic or Duke Nukem in my opinion.

20 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

I heard about this game called Blood, some sort of "Doom clone".

Blood is as much a Doom clone as Last Rites is a Quake clone.

In other words, not quite. Blood definitely is its own thing but i can see why you would say that.

16 hours ago, dmdr said:

since a contrary opinion is always useful,

Except in this case its not :P

And you are kinda giving yourself away by saying ''it sucks''. Trust me, there are far, FAR worse DOS shooters than Blood

4 hours ago, seed said:

Erhm, I think that guy is a troll, just a thought.

Wanted to say something earlier but then I realized that's probably bait. Can also reach that conclusion by reading their post history.

To be fair i have that impression with not just that user. I thought trolling only works when a troll is clever. A see-thru troll is not a troll, but just blissful.

2 hours ago, DSC said:

Not trying to sound like an egotistical jerk, but I was actually wondering when I read the thread's title if I was going to get mentioned... Thanks for doing absolutely that, BTW!

And to answer the OP's question, I did indeed follow the advice and started playing Blood. I did not regret it.

Well, we just had virtually the same thread; which had quite a bit of good information in it. I saw no reason not to mention it.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And you are kinda giving yourself away by saying ''it sucks''. Trust me, there are far, FAR worse DOS shooters than Blood

Giving myself away how? that I don't enjoy Blood? GUILTY AS SIN!

btw whataboutism is p dumb: having your nuts chainsawed off sucks more that being punched in the face, one assumes, but I go out of my way to have neither happen to me -- and I'm sure you do too.

15 hours ago, hybridial said:

The fix for all that is to play it on an easier difficulty.

Alright then, let me rephrase: Blood makes itself unfun to play on higher difficulties, which is a sure sign of a lack of testing and general slapped-togetherness. Now I like it even less.

Not gonna argue with @Jello because we just disagree.

Alright, I got Blood: Fresh Supply, which is a pretty good port for me. It's incredibly good, although pretty hard. The weapons and enemies are very cool too.

10/10, gettin gud has never been so rewarding. Also, use the flare gun's secondary on the zombies in that trap in the pre-finale level for E1.

4 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Alright, I got Blood: Fresh Supply, which is a pretty good port for me. It's incredibly good, although pretty hard. The weapons and enemies are very cool too.

10/10, gettin gud has never been so rewarding. Also, use the flare gun's secondary on the zombies in that trap in the pre-finale level for E1.

Wonderful.

Blood is not for everyone, its Difficult as hell but very rewarding once you get good enough at it.

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Blood is not for everyone, its Difficult as hell but very rewarding once you get good enough at it.

^ .

Blood is very well balanced (ignore Extra Crispy though, that's for co-op), so you have no-one else to blame for getting your ass handed back to you. Lower the difficulty and stop whining.

4 hours ago, dmdr said:

Giving myself away how? that I don't enjoy Blood? GUILTY AS SIN!

Sin's also a good game.

But to answer your question, you would need to compare Blood to other DOS shooters of the time. Saying ''It sucks'' is rather meaningless when there are numerous games that objectively come closer to sucking than Blood.

The game might not be for you, but on a objective scale, the game has been recieved well near-universally.

4 hours ago, dmdr said:

btw whataboutism is p dumb: having your nuts chainsawed off sucks more that being punched in the face, one assumes, but I go out of my way to have neither happen to me -- and I'm sure you do too.

I was saying it in jest that a contrary opinion is not always useful. 

4 hours ago, dmdr said:

Alright then, let me rephrase: Blood makes itself unfun to play on higher difficulties, which is a sure sign of a lack of testing and general slapped-togetherness. Now I like it even less.

The first bolded part does not sound very detailed. ''Lack of testing'', what is implied here? Because that comes rather close to using the lazy dev rhetoric.

The latter bolded part makes even less sense to me. So because of this lack of testing and general slapped-togetherness (Whatever that means), you like the game even less? What?

BTW, if you are looking for other FPS games from the just-post-Doom era, then Unreal was a major one that might have just flown under your radar (slightly less well known than Q2 and HL, I suppose), even if the MP games it spawned were dominant in their day. Unreal was a beautiful game with amazing visuals, music, and even an implicit story that didn't suck. Some people felt the weapons were weak, but they seemed decent to me.

(Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.)

Yes, you won't be disappointed. Blood has alot to offer: a dark atmosphere with humor added to it, what more could you ask for?

8 hours ago, dmdr said:

I definitely do think the intent with Blood was to make a rather hard game, as Civvie 11 put it in one of his videos that its easier difficulties are more like the normal skills in most other games. And Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, are not as brutal but similarly they set out to be challenging. By the time those games came out people had played the ever loving hell out of Doom for over 4 years so in each case I think that was the motivating factor.

Different difficulties are generally to provide different skill ceilings, and typically I play on medium where I can, but I admit I'm not good enough at Blood to really play it on Lightly Broiled. If I was absolutely determined to do so, I could probably do it. Don't see too much reason though yet, maybe if I eventually get too good at the difficulties below it. But my general point is I have a really fun time with the game on the difficulty I play on. You're argument it somehow makes the game worse is not particularly logical, and lacks in any evidence your assertions have any merit at all. 

@Redneckerz I don't really want to get into some sort of stupid quotespam discussion with you because all I wanted to do is explain why someone, ie. me, might not like Blood since everybody else was singing it's praises, so this will be my last post on the matter. That said:

1. 'sucks' is not an objective term. When I, or anybody else, say 'X sucks' it means I, or they, don't like X. That's it. It is therefore not necessary to play every piece of shit churned out me-too sub-Wolf3D orthogonal walls 90s shooter (as I was a yoot in the 90s I have played a few games like that; they sucked) to know I don't like Blood, or, if you prefer, think it sucks.

2. The chainsaw/nuts vs. being punched in the face thing was not a response to your opinion of my opinion, which is why I didn't quote that part of your post (I really have no idea why you bought that up). Rather, it was an example of something that, without experiencing it, obviously sucks even worse than another thing that also sucks, ie. it was there to provide an example of why your 'you must play these other games to have an opinion' logic is, um, not good.

An analogy: Witchhaven is akin to getting chainsawed, Blood is getting punched. Fortunately, it's possible to play Doom instead.

3. My 'like it even less' comment was facetious; I like it exactly the same as I did before, ie. I don't. The 'lack of testing' thing was somewhat less so: the testing process is there to identify things that suck. Game modes that aren't fun, in this case the higher difficulty levels, should be changed until they are, or simply purged. Hence, I assert they can't have tested it all that much, or they would have noticed how annoying it is -- or maybe the devs are just lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! On that note, please do explain what the 'lazy dev rhetoric' is, even though (as mentioned) I'm not going to reply.

(FWIW I don't remember what difficulty level I used when I attempted a playthrough many years ago. I do remember not really liking it)

@hybridial we're talking about our opinions, ie. neither 'logic' nor 'evidence' is really relevant. I could dislike Blood for entirely frivolous reasons (it has mimes in it!) and that would be still be valid. Likewise, your opinion is worth no more or less than mine (or Redneckerz or anybody elses, whether you or I agree with them or not). NB. if you ever catch me saying stuff along the lines 'your opinion is wrong' to anybody else, be aware that I'm being facetious; I know that's a stupid thing to say.

I will maintain, however, that it's quite reasonable to think that having unfun things in a game makes it worse, because the point of games is for them to be fun.

man I spent way too long on this dumb post. ps Blood sucks

6 minutes ago, dmdr said:

Yeah and I think Half Life and Dark Souls sucks and people still give me grief for that :p 

I know I said I wouldn't reply again but: Half Life was p cool the first time I played it, considerably less so the second, and Dark Souls was only OK, so it's nice we can more or less agree about something.

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

@Redneckerz I don't really want to get into some sort of stupid quotespam discussion with you because all I wanted to do is explain why someone, ie. me, might not like Blood since everybody else was singing it's praises, so this will be my last post on the matter.

So you are contrarian just for the sake of it but you do not want to drive your point home with something more in-depth that actually constitutes a point of merit.

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

That said:

1. 'sucks' is not an objective term. When I, or anybody else, say 'X sucks' it means I, or they, don't like X. That's it. It is therefore not necessary to play every piece of shit churned out me-too sub-Wolf3D orthogonal walls 90s shooter (as I was a yoot in the 90s I have played a few games like that; they sucked) to know I don't like Blood, or, if you prefer, think it sucks.

And that's why i would want you to drive your point home with something in-depth about the game that is geniunely bad or flawed. The overall consensus is that Blood is a cult hit for a variety of reasons. Obviously, you may disagree, but atleast carry that across :)

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

3. My 'like it even less' comment was facetious; I like it exactly the same as I did before, ie. I don't. The 'lack of testing' thing was somewhat less so: the testing process is there to identify things that suck. Game modes that aren't fun, in this case the higher difficulty levels, should be changed until they are, or simply purged. Hence, I assert they can't have tested it all that much, or they would have noticed how annoying it is -- or maybe the devs are just lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most likely the developers either didn't consider it an annoying trait, perhaps it was an oversight, it can be a personal issue, or otherwise. Being cynical (or facetious) about it does not establish a stronger point: It merely weakens what point you were carrying by postulating it in a more ironic (and less serious manner). FWIW, i am trying to have a serious debate with you, not an ironic one.

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

On that note, please do explain what the 'lazy dev rhetoric' is, even though (as mentioned) I'm not going to reply.

Then you obviously do not want the explanation in the first place, no? By asserting that due to the difficulty spike, it must be because of lack of testing or general sloppiness, well, that sounds awfully close to that rhetoric.

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

The bolded is obviously you being facetious aswell when, to me atleast, it comes across as mockingly. But hey.

5 hours ago, dmdr said:

Or maybe the devs are just lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The good old "i dont like it there for the devs are lazy because they didnt make it the way i want"

if there is one thing lazy here its the player who's bad at the game and is to lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(your punctuation usage not mine) To learn the game.

15 hours ago, dmdr said:

We're talking about our opinions, ie. neither 'logic' nor 'evidence' is really relevant.

The general consensus is that you should atleast know what your are talking about or have something to back it up for people to actually take you seriously or end up looking like a edgy contrarian just looking for attention.

Edited by jazzmaster9

Use Blood: Fresh Supply's game files to play the game through NBlood (or BuildGDX, but NBlood is comfier). The Fresh Supply port is permanently fucked because Atari will never update it again.

I personally vastly prefer GOG's One Unit Whole Blood through DOSBox over BloodGDX or NBlood, but you can't buy that version anymore (get it? you can't BUY it anymore? wink wink nudge nudge). I figured out how to stop the CD music from playing so that it plays the MIDIs through Sound Blaster. You can also use NBlood to play the Roland SC-55 music packs ( http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom ) by disabling CD audio (RedBook audio in the menus IIRC) and placing the .zip file of the FLAC pack in your autoload folder and enabling autoload.

1587496173489.gif.1c32b931e4fa26b4cb6cd64fe3cc56f3.gif

>CRUDUX CRUO!

edit: I totally forgot about BuildGDX's custom difficulty settings, which allow you to have the same numbers of monsters as the maximum difficulty without the insane damage increase; Blood is notorious for frustrating hitscanner enemies that murder you as soon as you turn a corner. Curiously, there is a bug in the DOS version that also lets you reduce enemy damage

Edited by RonnieColeman

Blood is phenomenal and easily my favorite of the 3 main Build games. Yeah, it's insanely difficult, but I actually like its challenge and like that you can get around the enemies' brutality with either a sneak-attack/ambush approach or a variation of guns ablaze. Enemies are too aggressive? Balanced by the tricked-out arsenal you have at your disposal. I can't even begin to get into the weapons; how many uses each one has, their strengths against certain enemies and situations, etc. One of my favorite parts about Blood is how nicely the combat is structured by the enemies and the weapons to use on them.

The atmosphere is unbelievably great. The visuals, ambience, music all work together really well. Caleb is a badass with awesome voice work, and the tone of the game not being a straight-up horror setting, it all just works.