Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

Rips from a weird JavaME version of Quake 4

There is a strange version of Quake 4 for mobile phones made in JavaME that there doesn't seem to be any info on. I went ahead and extracted the contents, and it has some nice resources that would work for Doom.

If you use these I would appreciate credit for ripping them, but it is not required.

Q4JMERips.zip

2 hours ago, HeyItsDuke said:

There is a strange version of Quake 4 for mobile phones made in JavaME that there doesn't seem to be any info on.

Au contraire :)

This might be a version of Quake Plus 3D, as i have that Quake 4 game you refer to. M3Gworks is a Russian developer that makes these J2ME engines and games.

They aren't the only one, ofcourse, and Quake Plus 3D is hardly the most impressive of these, though it is a true 3D renderer.

In Russia there are still a ton of old J2ME phones that have limited processing power (ARM based) and no accelerated graphics, so they craft entire new games with custom 3D engines for J2ME. Visually its about PS1 level, which is still quite impressive considering the limited resolutions (240x320).

There are demo's that implement shader like effects on this hardware, which is mighty impressive.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Au contraire :)

This might be a version of Quake Plus 3D, as i have that Quake 4 game you refer to. M3Gworks is a Russian developer that makes these J2ME engines and games.

Oh yeah, Quake Plus 3D lol. I forgot about that. These seem to be two completely different games but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the same developers made it. (Quake Plus 3D is actually a way better game.)

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

They aren't the only one, ofcourse, and Quake Plus 3D is hardly the most impressive of these, though it is a true 3D renderer.

In Russia there are still a ton of old J2ME phones that have limited processing power (ARM based) and no accelerated graphics, so they craft entire new games with custom 3D engines for J2ME. Visually its about PS1 level, which is still quite impressive considering the limited resolutions (240x320).

There are demo's that implement shader like effects on this hardware, which is mighty impressive.

Woah, that sounds awesome! I love looking at J2ME games. The fact that they managed to accomplish that with J2ME is insanely impressive.

27 minutes ago, HeyItsDuke said:

Oh yeah, Quake Plus 3D lol. I forgot about that. These seem to be two completely different games but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the same developers made it. (Quake Plus 3D is actually a way better game.)

As an engine, Quake Plus 3D is fairly impressive given the platform. Gameplay wise i think its rather poor though - The enemies have perfect accuracy and they kill you in seconds.

The framerate is also rather odd. Some implementations have alright performance (say 10-15 fps), others just run on a crawl. Even on a emulator ran on Android and sped up, the gameplay is just mediocre at best.

27 minutes ago, HeyItsDuke said:

Woah, that sounds awesome! I love looking at J2ME games. The fact that they managed to accomplish that with J2ME is insanely impressive.

Truth be told, this is hardly the most impressive thing on J2ME. Russians use the L2D - Left 2 Die Engine - with a PC editor to craft completely new games. Since a few years, that engine has been replaced with a new one, called Quantum.

Quantum is really where the visuals kick in:

• Static shadows
  • Static reflections
  • ''HDR'' support (Just bloom/tonemapping, but the sheer fact this runs in software on a 2005 phone is impressive)
  • Refraction effects, even
  • Lens flares

Its kind of a hidden development scene but its mighty impressive. Other J2ME games feature more Doom like engines or even Build. The most advanced 3D J2ME titles are often reminiscent of 90s FPS titles, just running on any phone that supports the standard.

And new games are still made for it, too. There are multiple shooters based on the Shadowman comic, a Harry Potter magic shooter, even a game that tries to put something like The Elder Scrolls on J2ME in its own Soviet like ideology.

If there is interest i could make a thread about these titles since, like so many else i'd love to document, i have kept track of that scene. Its obscure, but very impressive stuff.

One video however i cannot deny showing, as its a Demoscene ran using the Quantum Engine showcasing some of the effects it has (Also called Iceberg):

13 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

If there is interest i could make a thread about these titles since, like so many else i'd love to document, i have kept track of that scene. Its obscure, but very impressive stuff.

Please proceed. We need that thread. And those games.

15 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Please proceed. We need that thread. And those games.

I mean, they are Russian... :P You are saying i need to assemble a pack?

56 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I mean, they are Russian... :P You are saying i need to assemble a pack?

The whole thing, pal!
That demo is impressive, and Shadowman shooters is something i craved for ages!!!

12 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The whole thing, pal!
That demo is impressive, and Shadowman shooters is something i craved for ages!!!

Ill see what i can do (Probably tomorrow). Not everything though - Some of these games are commercial (and also not Russian)... but ill definitely mention them.

The Shadowman ones are impressive as they have their own inventory systems and they don't use the L2D stock levels, but nevertheless, i have to warn you - Despite using handcrafted levels, they both have an L2D feature - Heaps of enemies that kill you in a instant. I don't know what it is that the vast majority of these underground games keep that in, because it ruins all the gameplay.

But ill make a thread. One of them is a game based on Stalker that uses Quantum - and has a ingame UI system for purchasing things, like Scaleform did for Unreal Engine. Pretty neat shit, i'd say.

Another one is more tech demo like but has those fancy effects (and more) shown in the demo. I have some screencaps on my phone to demonstrate some of these visuals, ill likely include them in the thread for some quick impressions. Its all faked up obviously but it still is hella nice to see faux bloom and reflections this way.

They are .jar files so you will need an emulator.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

They are .jar files so you will need an emulator.

I was searching for one of this for an android cellphone, do you know a good one?

For PC i use the smartest stupidiest thing i ever imagine, i use a PSP Emulator to Emulate the JaVa Emulator... and so i play some neat and only for old cellphone games.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

I was searching for one of this for an android cellphone, do you know a good one?

For PC i use the smartest stupidiest thing i ever imagine, i use a PSP Emulator to Emulate the JaVa Emulator... and so i play some neat and only for old cellphone games.

J2ME Loader is what i use. I can also screencap shots from it.

For PC, KEMulator, i believe.