Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nname

What's your favorite text-editor/IDE and why?

6 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

VSCode is also quite good! However, I wouldn't call it an IDE it's more of a suped up text-editor/borderline IDE, imo.

Yeah true, it just shows how far removed I’ve become from IDE usage that I consider VS Code an IDE. I actually hear other people complaining a lot from the other direction, coming from JetBrains products or whatever and upset VS Code isn’t as powerful as they are used to. 

I had used various enhanced text editors in a Linux environment for many years, like Kate and GEdit. Now that I'm on Windows again (long story), I've found Notepad++ to be cut from the same cloth, and definitely swear by it for technical work. I'll often write up something for another environment in N++ and copy-and-paste from there, rather than using the other environment's built-in editor.

I still like plain old Notepad for written text (as opposed to technical text like programming); just wish I could change the colors in plain Notepad or at least for it to respect the OS's color scheme settings. They even overhauled Notepad a while back so it supports stuff like Ctrl+Backspace to delete the last word so it's like a real text editor now; but it's still stuck on glaring white. 🙎🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, xzotikk said:

Of course I know you can do this, that's why I said, that you don't have to burn your eyes out with MS Notepad aka Notepad-Not-++.

The way you worded it, it could also be interpreted as "Notepad++'s light theme will burn your eyes out, but MS Notepad's won't," hence me seeking the clarification. :P

UPDATE: I've managed to setup Vim to my liking and it's actually not so bad! Sure, it's completely different from other text-editors, that people use on Windows, but it's something different and quirky and I like that kind of stuff :^).

Here is some Vim goodness:

Spoiler

image.png.e26c5b71caf1ba0fffa915141ec344aa.png

I've used Emacs for years now and have only grown to love it more each passing year.  I originally started to use it when I learned Common Lisp programming, for which Slime is very nice.  There's other editors I've tried, but I never stick with them.

If I'm in a terminal and just need to do some quick edits, I use Zile, which is basically a lightweight clone of Emacs.

I love the idea of emacs, especially as an advocate of functional programming, I just don’t like the reality of it. I used it for a few years at university before switching to vim. 

The logical thing is to build your own emacs in Haskell... With blackjack, and hookers!

On 8/14/2020 at 5:39 PM, xzotikk said:

Are you on Windows? I've been trying to setup syntax highlighting on Nano, but I can't get it to work.

I use it on Slackware, my friend mrcrispy was the one who actually installed it on our server though so unfortunately I’m not actually sure exactly how he set it up. He told me it was trivial though, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I use it on Slackware, my friend mrcrispy was the one who actually installed it on our server though so unfortunately I’m not actually sure exactly how he set it up. He told me it was trivial though, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

Nevermind, I got it working. I just had to make an environment variable pointing to the nano.rc file located in my C:\Users\username directory.

I use Brackets since i work on a web development related job. Initially i used sublime text and it worked fine to get everything done, until one colleague was talking about other IDE editors, mentioned Brackets and after getting curious and trying it out for a few days, i ended up getting used to it and i've been using it ever since despite the fact that everyone else uses sublime in the office

17 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Wait, I'm not the only Slackware user here? :O

It's great for game servers and the website! I was never a Slackware user until about 5 years ago when I got Doomshack up and running, but it's fantastic.