Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

Bridgeburner's Playtesting Series (currently closed)

On 8/14/2020 at 9:37 PM, DragonsForLunch said:

Here's my wad: TTTS - The Thing That Slithers. I already got a lot of feedback on the first 3 maps but the update with 4 extra maps kind of went unnoticed. I'd love to get your feedback and thought on it. I guess I'm mostly interested in Fun Factor: Is it fun to play? But any feedback specific thoughts on level layout, monster placement, use of textures is also very much welcome.

Hey, I tried to play your map last night and something has gone horribly wrong
Screenshot_Doom_20200825_200240.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200825_200242.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200825_200246.png

I had a look at the beginning of biodegradeable's playthrough and it was fine for them so not sure what has happened. Can you check and confirm that the download is all fine? I ran it on GZDoom 4.4.2.

4 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Hey, I tried to play your map last night and something has gone horribly wrong

I had a look at the beginning of biodegradeable's playthrough and it was fine for them so not sure what has happened. Can you check and confirm that the download is all fine? I ran it on GZDoom 4.4.2.

Hey. Not sure what's going on. I just checked the link and ran the wad and everything looked fine. This is just good ol' Doom 2 format so I don't know what's gone wrong. Is it only map 1? If so, you could start it from map2

Sorry for the trouble.

One thing I forgot to mention, in case it wasn't obvious: Hell Frontier maps are balanced around pistol starting and not continuous play (Although the latter shouldn't make THAT much of a difference)

Horus recommended that I let you play my map Bloodfalls 2, so here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FK7KvLgkErTLapM_7E_sMnUkwQQmFy1q/view?usp=sharing

If you want to get 100% kills you need to use freelook. I would recommend it anyway, otherwise you will have a lot of enemies above your viewheight.

Zolgia108 didn't like the map, so don't expect too much, the actual combat is rather mindless.

I'm still hoping for some honest feedback and hope that you at least kinda enjoy your time.

The wad's topic:

@C3ntralPr0cessing m8 don't base the description over my thought, it's just my thought! Many people don't like my maps but that doesn't mean they are "bad", noone can tell you that a map is bad unless it is objectively horrible. Your map was totally fine i said it wasn't up my personal expectations, now i feel bad :(

Everything is fine! If I would only consider one opinion, I wouldn't ask for more feedback. I wrote that "mindless" thingy, because I don't want to raise wrong expectations. I'm actually very glad that you're being honest with your feedback :)

Playtesting Tuesday. Playing HSS9 late submissions, MiniSlaughter Community Project Maps and Criticality by Scotty (will be back to the list next stream)

Hey, I would like to subject you to my small mapset that I've created.

I'm always up for different perspective & honest feedback.

2 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Ended up playing wads by @DragonsForLunch, @Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur and @Night Falls

DragonsForLunch, your map still had the weird node builder issues but it wasn't bad enough to stop me playing through the set. Really not sure what is causing that

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729945695

awesome! Im glad you seemed to have enjoyed my goofy tribute to Sandy Peterson

5 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Ended up playing wads by @DragonsForLunch, @Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur and @Night Falls

DragonsForLunch, your map still had the weird node builder issues but it wasn't bad enough to stop me playing through the set. Really not sure what is causing that

I slept through it. Time zones suck.

Edit: just watched it. I actually never tested it on hard difficulty, haha. That might have contributed to the combat issues. You managed pretty well though, and without any familiarity with the game

Edited by Night Falls

12 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Thanks for playing man! Really enjoyed watching the playthrough and I really like the very concrete feedback at some of the encounters. I'm gonna try and focus more on creating encounters that are not "door-camping". Texture alignment and variety I will also work on. Alignment isn't my favourite task, i admit.

Also, These maps were (almost) the first maps I ever finished for doom and they are made in the progression they are played in so I'm happy that you and the other people on the stream seemed to appreciate that they improved throughout the wad. 

PS. I'm not veteran enough in the doom community to understand the joke about fireblu, but i'm glad you enjoyed it :)

More Tricks and Traps Than You Require

A MAP 08 Replacement for Doom 2 built mostly around the theme of, well, tricks and traps. GZDoom format, limit-removing.

- Can be completed on UV with no secrets found (although one sector labeled secret is given freely as a sort of tutorial)

- Finding all 8 numbered secrets will be advantageous for continuous play... but MAP 09 isn't started, so it doesn't matter much.

- Playtested by multiple people, and feedback has been incorporated into this latest version.

- Map Length is 30-60 minutes for full completion, about 600-ish enemies, but only one large group.

- Should be compatible with co-op, but not tested in co-op. Any areas which lock a player in won't lock a co-op player out.

- Keys can be acquired in any order.

- Rooms from the hub can be entered in any order and completed, although encounter difficulty may vary depending on current weapon loadout.

13 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

awesome! Im glad you seemed to have enjoyed my goofy tribute to Sandy Peterson

'Enjoyed' :D
I was definitely entertained

11 hours ago, Night Falls said:

I slept through it. Time zones suck.

Edit: just watched it. I actually never tested it on hard difficulty, haha. That might have contributed to the combat issues. You managed pretty well though, and without any familiarity with the game

Lol, something to work on in the future. Even discounting the difficulty setting, the gameplay 'feedback' felt like the thing that needs the most work at the moment. Everything else felt very polished though.
Definitely keeping an eye on your project for sure. Very nicely put together and visually on point. 

3 hours ago, DragonsForLunch said:

Thanks for playing man! Really enjoyed watching the playthrough and I really like the very concrete feedback at some of the encounters. I'm gonna try and focus more on creating encounters that are not "door-camping". Texture alignment and variety I will also work on. Alignment isn't my favourite task, i admit.

Also, These maps were (almost) the first maps I ever finished for doom and they are made in the progression they are played in so I'm happy that you and the other people on the stream seemed to appreciate that they improved throughout the wad. 

PS. I'm not veteran enough in the doom community to understand the joke about fireblu, but i'm glad you enjoyed it :)

I did think these were maps made early in a career but I was impressed by the variety throughout the wad (as I said in the playthrough). Keen to see what you make next. Things like mastering the texture alignment tools in UDB you'll get as you map more. Although in udmf it's as easy as mashing ctrl - a every few minutes ;p

The first rule of firelbu jokes is we don't talk about fireblu jokes

Added @C3ntralPr0cessing @EmptyCell and @Stabbey to the list. Might get some more playtesting in tomorrow after the Saturday mapping stream

If you want to give it a shot:

PWAD: Hyperdeath

IWAD: Doom 2

Maps: Two levels. Short to medium length.

Source Port Tested on: GZDoom

Music: Killswitch Engage - In The Unblind & Trivium - Ember To Inferno in midi 

Difficulty: Medium to Hard

Gameplay time: 10-12 mins & 15-20 mins

Custom Sky: Yes.

Compatibility: GZDoom. 

Gameplay: Continuous, level design supports pistol starts. No Freelook, No Jumping, No Crouching required.

Hey Bridge, I made a small map for a change!

Please take it for a spin when you have time. Your opinion is extremely valid : )

(edit: I tweaked a few details for a final edit, so there's a new link on the thread) :

Edited by PeterMoro

21 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Alright, list is now up to date with the latest requests and after a break last week we are getting into things now.

Maps by @el_inf and @Zolgia108 plus others depending on time
https://www.twitch.tv/bridgeburner56

thank you m8 for playing :) i watched the video now, thankfully the things that you said were wrong on map 8/9 were already fixed on last update, then you gave me some nice advices for the last fixes before the release :)

please download latest version before moving on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zornokws9ktl6vq/Happy 32 0.1.wad?dl=1

i really appreciate this, advices from a serious mapper are exactly what i need at the moment!

see you next time

Edited by Zolgia108

I guess you could play this bad boy. It's unfinished, 13 maps so far (Map14 is halfway done). Gameplay can be slaughtery and difficult at times, and the maps were balanced for pistol start. It uses the doom 2 iwad and each map contains a rather quirky easter egg secret towards my favorite band Genesis. Pace yourself, as the maps can be quite long.

No jumping or crouching. Freelook is fine as long as you don't use it to shoot switches.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deqjlgmxm3rxjka/boomhouse.zip?dl=0

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Playtesting stream tonight (about 11 hours from now) with maps by @ViolentBeetle and more of @Zolgia108's Happy. Might have time for a couple others

Oh man, in case please download nrw version! Thanks

22 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Playtesting stream tonight (about 11 hours from now) with maps by @ViolentBeetle and more of @Zolgia108's Happy. Might have time for a couple others

Thank you for playing my wad, there's some advice I think I can adopt and take into account on the future maps. Probably won't be anything too drastic at this point but still. Shame copyright system ate some parts.

@ViolentBeetle It was a fun wad. Did you make the maps in the order that they are in the wad? It definitely felt like the maps improved as I went on. Much better use of space, better enemy compositions and more varied encounters (the first few maps suffered more from cramped level design, similar enemy compositions and over usage of doors). 
I'd definitely agree that applying things you've learned to future maps is the way to go. You can easily get trapped in an endless loop of improving old maps and there wasn't anything in Hell Frontier that I'd say must be changed/fixed. Park it as a solid set and start something new.

Looking forward to more :D