Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Redneckerz

The weird world of Russian J2ME shooters

As requested by @InDOOMnesia and @P41R47 and essentially a rehash of this April 8 post.

Introduction:

J2ME is a platform for older mobile phone games, say till 2007 or so. Through an API, developers could make use of 3D graphics (MediaCapsule and others) to deliver PSX-like visuals at similar framerates. Fast forward to today. Russians still create new games for this platform, using the Left2Die engine, a 3D renderer for which they have a PC editor. Currently, their work is with Quantum, a more advanced engine that does some pretty amazing stuff in software, like bloom, multitexturing, even an attempt at reflections and refractions. It also has an accelerated PowerVR version.

This all runs on any phone that has J2ME MSR support and sufficient RAM. My old Sony K800i can run the vast majority of them, in 240x320 resolution. You can also run them on Android if you use the app J2ME Loader. However, they aren't easy to find and mostly found on Russian sites.

Screenshots of Quantum Engine (Taken in J2ME loader at 570x760): Demonstrating reflections, fake bloom, multitexturing.

Spoiler

jjF39ov.png

f7eFVZx.png

uosgMuw.png

p6Zy2GX.png

7RtEu2z.png

wjsmSOZ.png

Video of a J2ME demo:

A list of J2ME shooters that i know, both official and unofficial:

Spoiler
  • Elite 1
  • Elite 2
  • Dungeon Warrior 3D - 2005, one of the first J2ME fps.
  • Elite: Visual Shock
  • Stalker Mobile (Official)
  • Shadow Of Egypt 3D - Net Lizard, shadows, full 3D, 3D models, looks like a Playstation or NDS title
  • Alien Shooter 3D - Net Lizard
  • Shiver 3D - Net Lizard - 3D Engine 2.0,
  • Saboteur 3D - Net Lizard - 3D Engine 2.0
  • Army Rangers 3D: Operation Arctic - Net Lizard
  • Contr Terrorism 3D: Episode 1 - Net Lizard
  • Contr Terrorism 3D: Episode 2 - Net Lizard
  • Contr Terrorism 3D: Episode 3 - Net Lizard
  • Clone 3D - Net Lizard - 3D Engine 3.0.
  • The Overtaker 3D - J2ME - Gameleons, scales really well, almost OpenGL like, Alien like title
  • Break Shock - J2ME
  • Robot Alliance - J2ME
  • Covert Ops: 1943 - J2ME - 2.5D engine, Doom like meets Outlaws, dynamic lights, by Micazook
  • Project Beta - Quantum Engine
  • Silent Evil 3D - Quantum Engine, third person
  • Metro 2033: Kiev 3D/Mole War 3D - Quantum Engine, has cutscenes
  • Chorna Valka 3D - Quantum Engine - Elder Scrolls like RPG
  • Repressor 3D - Quantum Engine, Duke 3D levels, open world, cars, Cutscenes, known as Niberator/Naberator 3D, appears as Nagibator 3D
  • Meat2Eat
  • Death Night - J2ME - Meat2Eat Engine - Dynamic lighting, ala Doom, by Netsoftware
  • Meat2Eat: Pavlov Alive - J2ME - Left2Die Engine/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels, like Shadowman Reborn - Unoffical sequel to Meat2Eat by Netsoftware
  • Nosferatu: The Wrath Of Malachi - J2ME - Left2Die Engine/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels, like Shadowman Reborn
  • The Hogwarts: Imps Attack - J2ME - Left2Die Engine/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels, like Shadowman Reborn
  • Shadowman Reborn - J2ME - Left2Die/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels, Falcon Mobile.
  • Shadowman 3D - J2ME - Left2Die/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels,
  • Alone In The Dark: Carnage - J2ME - Left2Die/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels,
  • Hard - J2ME - Left2Die/L2D Engine - Completely new game, new textures, levels, A bit like Tekwar, by Pliev.
  • Lock N Load 2 - J2ME, PPC - Completely new game, new textures, levels, like Shadowman Reborn

Download:

Here is a download with several of the unique games made with the Left 4 Die and Quantum Engine's. I have chosen to include these ones since the Netlizard/Gameleons games are likely copyrighted titles. Included are:

Spoiler
  • Quantum 3.0 tech demos
  • Project Beta
  • Metro 2033: Kiev 3D/Mole War 3D
  • Chorna Valka 3D
  • Stalker HD
  • Repressor 3D
  • Nosferatu: The Wrath Of Malachi
  • The Hogwarts: Imps Attack
  • Shadowman Reborn
  • Shadowman 3D
  • Alone In The Dark: Carnage
  • Hard
  • Lock N Load 2

Edited by Redneckerz : Accidentially made a premature thread, now filled in.

Not something you see everyday! While I don't see myself playing these I would be curious to read more into the subject. Do you have somewhere you keep up to date with these developements?

19 hours ago, P41R47 said:

You are the best @Redneckerz!

Now i have some new games to dive into, and a complete scene of forgotten games to research ;)

Be sure to also check out the Netlizard games, Overtaker 3D and Covert Ops 1943. Its very much like the Build and Doom engines what these later two games show, and its equally impressive to see it running in J2ME.

3 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

Not something you see everyday! While I don't see myself playing these I would be curious to read more into the subject. Do you have somewhere you keep up to date with these developements?

Well, most of these files are hosted on AE-Mods.ru - But developments perse are difficult to track down. There is very little to be found on the Left 2 Die editor for PC but there are screenshots and a link to it on VK, or the Russian Facebook. Problem is, i have seen the screenshot of the editor itself, but the link to it not so much.

Another problem is that everything is in Russian. There are documents for the Quantum engine (I have not packaged those with the link), but its all in Russian. In general these Russian games aren't really that documented well, and as for the other J2ME games, there is only one English resource i know of that i recently came across that listed them (Along with practically every DOS shooter released in the history).|

So hence why the thread. When someone would look this up on Google, chances are this thread will pop out :)

Wow, that's nostalgic seeing some of these titles there. I used to play some of these a lot on my old phone.

I can help you with Russian sites and/or translation if required.

3 minutes ago, gotsu said:

Wow, that's nostalgic seeing some of these titles there. I used to play some of these a lot on my old phone.

I can help you with Russian sites and/or translation if required.

Haha, great to hear! I'd love to know more about the new games Russians have developed. Perhaps you know more titles than the ones mentioned before? I'd be looking forward to hear about it ^^