Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Give Me Ya Pretzels

is there a way I can have no PLAYPAL

ezgif-7-ad9520ba74d8.gifis there a way i can have no PLAYPAL for my playable charecters. I use png images for mine and with the default PLAYPAL my characters don't look right. if there was no PLAYPAL the sprites would look much better. if this is not possible, can someone help me make a better one? to anyone who can help: thank you. 

Have you tried the truecolor renderer?
I may be mistaken but I think using that ignores the playpal for png images.

in slade I always convert my pngs into true color pngs. I thought the same thing but apparently player sprites don't ignore PLAYPAL, but enemies that use true color pngs seem to not be effected by PLAYPAL. that is weird. maybe that GZdoom programmer who is a chicken needs to do an update. or maybe I am doing something wrong and he can help me, IDK.

2 minutes ago, Give Me Ya Pretzels said:

apparently player sprites don't ignore PLAYPAL

This is likely because of the way Doom handles multiplayer; differently-coloured player sprites are just the main sprite recoloured, and so I guess they need a certain palette range to recolour or something like that?

There might be a way around it, by using a different image format than PNG, or editing the Player Class, but I don't know for sure.

6 minutes ago, plums said:

and so I guess they need a certain palette range to recolour

Yes.

You'll need to define a custom player class and give it the DONTTRANSLATE flag to prevent palettization of the sprites. It can be as simple as

Actor TrueColorPlayer : DoomPlayer { +DONTTRANSLATE }

if you don't want to change anything else. But you'll need to set it up in MAPINFO, too. See explanations here.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yes.

You'll need to define a custom player class and give it the DONTTRANSLATE flag to prevent palettization of the sprites. It can be as simple as

Actor TrueColorPlayer : DoomPlayer { +DONTTRANSLATE }

if you don't want to change anything else. But you'll need to set it up in MAPINFO, too. See explanations here.

thank you, it worked! thank you very much. I will try to remember this!