Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChileanDoomer

Need help modding doom 3

Hey, lately i had an urge to replay doom 3 but halfway through it i said to myself "this could be better" and stopped playing, i have some ideas which seem simple on paper but i have no idea where to start, what i want to do is:

- port the resurrection of evil super shotgun to the vanilla doom 3 campaign, and make it spawn inside both martian buddy lockers as a bonus, replacing the extra chaingun and BFG respectively

- reduce both the normal shotgun and the super shotgun spread to half their original values (22>11 regular sg, 28>14 ssg), also reduce damage per pellet from 14 to 10 in order to compensate for the increased accuracy (i tested this myself with the regular sg, but i don't know how to edit the ssg spread value and i also dont know how edit the maps to make it spawn inside the martian buddy lockers

- make armor reduce 60% damage instead of 30%, which is the value used in multiplayer (armor is useless in the SP campaign), also limit armor to 100 instead of 125

- remove all "health stations" from the game, doom 3 has enough supplies lying around and health stations make the game stupidly easy even on veteran

- reduce max ammo carried by the player to the following values (magazine * 5): pistol bullets 360>60, shotgun shells 320>40, chaingun bullets 600>300, grenades 50>5 (this one is ridiculous), plasma gun cells 500>250, BFG cells 32>20, rockets 96>25 (also ridiculous)

- reduce the time it takes to spawn demons when they teleport in, which is making it way too easy to prepare and one shot everything right now, i'd make it short enough just not to make the animation look bad (maybe the animation can be sped up too?), also make that one enemy that teleports in and out move and teleport faster too.

- make the cyborg sarge boss take way more damage before dying (too easy right now)

These changes would make the game way more exciting and challenging IMO, and seem easy to do, but i need directions.

Apart from that i would also like to experiment with the following changes:

- replace lost soul graphic for the one used in resurrection of evil, save for the first one the player meets in order not to make it a weird transition after the cutscene

- port the resurrection of evil artifact with the time slow power only to the vanilla doom 3 campaign, and replace the soul cube with it, (meaning i would also have to replace or remove some specific audio logs and emails, plus editing the hell guardian cutscene which i think is not pre-rendered to include the artifact graphic on it), also make the artifact use demon kills as ammo instead of human corpses, and give it a single charge for every 5 kills (instead of 1 charge per corpse of the original).

- modify the last boss battle: 

- make the cyberdemon vulnerable to regular damage

- remove the soul cube killing the cyberdemon cutscene

- make a teleporter appear after killing the cyberdemon (with a betruger taunt audio included)

- make that teleporter take you to the maledict boss fight

- replace the resurrection of evil marine with the doom 3 marine within both the cutscene before and after the fight

- remove the woman's voice after the screen turns white, and shove the cutscene where the marine is rescued after it

- cut that part where the maledict appears flying in hell (he's dead now) and just make the credits & music start

- modify nightmare difficulty so you are given the aforementioned custom artifact instead of the soul cube

My reasons for modifying all this are that i find the whole soul cube mechanic boring and overpowered, it's also mildly infuriating how you are required to kill the last boss of the game with some magic-one-shot weapon, instead of guns, IN A GAME ABOUT SHOOTING DEMONS, overall the cyberdemon battle is easy, boring, and an anti-climatic way to end an otherwise mostly-exciting game, the maledict fight is not much better but it's serviceable, and gives a satisfying conclusion to the game without forcing the player to play a poorly made expansion pack with a nonsense plot even by doom standards.

I will most likely read some tutorials and watch videos about doom 3 editing but it'd be much easier and faster if someone who already knows how to mod it gives me instructions.

thanks in advance!!