Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpaceTrash

Teleport Traps without Joined Sectors?

Question

I'm fairly sure this is possible, as I've seen it on sets like Eviternity, but I can't find any information on it. Basically I want to alert a mob in a monster closet so they walk through a teleporter but without having a messy sound connecting sectors.

I've tried using a noise alert triggered by walking over a like but that didn't seem to work. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by OrbitalSpaceGarbage

4 answers to this question

One way is to make a very small tunnel that connects to the closet from inside the map. If you don't want sound to travel right away, put a tiny door in there that opens when you want it to.

A single sector need not be contiguous, you can have two or more pieces with void or other sectors in between.

Sound propagation does not "know" that a sector has separate pieces, you could say that a sound which enters any piece is really entering all pieces at the same time.

14 hours ago, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

I've tried using a noise alert triggered by walking over a like but that didn't seem to work. 

Make sure that the monsters don't have the ambush flag set. Otherwise they will be alerted, but still not move unless the player walks into their line of sight (which will never happend in a monster teleport closet).

2 hours ago, andrewj said:

A single sector need not be contiguous, you can have two or more pieces with void or other sectors in between.

Sound propagation does not "know" that a sector has separate pieces, you could say that a sound which enters any piece is really entering all pieces at the same time.

This seems to have been the answer, used the join command (J) to join the closet sectors to the main map. Works like a charm now.