Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Ferret

Which is harder, Wolfenstein 3D or Doom?

I'll go with Wolf3D. I have played it though I gave up like half way in E2 where I couldn't find the key and I just got sick of dying to mutants.

Wolf 3D is harder because every enemy is hitscan. Imagine if the entirety of Doom 2 was made up of Zombiemen, SS soldiers from secret levels, chaingunners, pinkies but with like half health and for boss encounters, Spider Masterminds and they were immune to infighting and damage from each other's attacks. Now imagine the only weapons you had to deal with them were the pistol, the chain gun, the fist and a faster firing chaingun like the one from Valiant. You'll find that Doom 2 suddenly became a nightmare to get through. That is still easier than Wolf 3D

On 5/20/2021 at 1:27 AM, Pegg said:

Wolf3D by a long shot. Doom is more fair to the player than that hellscan hell. And everything blends together after a while in that mazey hell. Not to mention Doom was balanced around pistol starting. Wolf3D is balanced around throwing your monitor out of the window. Your ears will also bleed after a while from the sound effects..

MEIN LEBEN! SPION! AIEEEEEE!

Seriously though I don't mind the sounds in Wolfenstein 3D, I've never found them to be that ear grating even after them repeating.

Edited by Avoozl

Health management is much difficult in Wolf 3D. I remember a regular soldier can take off 64 hp in a single shot. But there are sections when there are plenty of health kits all around the map.

30 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Health management is much difficult in Wolf 3D. I remember a regular soldier can take off 64 hp in a single shot. But there are sections when there are plenty of health kits all around the map.

Have to be within 2 blocks.

Wolf3D is more into the cover shooter, so it's kind of different in game if you wanted to dig deep.

Maybe i'm biased since i never even completed wolf3d... So i'll cheat and just say Blood is harder than both lol

Every time I play Wolf3d, I get lost and give up. Walking around rooms that look identical while getting hitscanned isn't my idea of fun. Not to mention the irritating music, sound effects, wallhumping, art design, movement, pointless collectibles and scoring system, etc.

Oh, and the New Wolfenstein games fucking suck too. 'Stein 09 and RtCW>>>>>>anything else.

15 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

'Stein 09 and RtCW>>>>>>anything else.

Totally agreed. Wolfenstein 2009 is my favourite game in the whole series.

Wolfenstein 3D is better at keeping things tense because you're never too far from dying or running out of ammo. And I know that's a good thing, cause that seems like a part of the appeal of slaughtermaps. In both wolf3d and slaughtermaps, you have to focus on surviving from moment to moment, instead of backtracking down a hallway and killing 10 cacodemons with the SSG because you want to have 300 cells just in case, but it'll take you two more maps to gather this many. But once you're totally stacked, then it's only revenants and archviles that pose an immediate threat...

Well. It's got its pros and cons. I guess I'll have to make some maps for my Bite-Sized Threat mod, and see how that changes up the doom gameplay.

Nightmare aside (and only considering U. Doom and Doom II) Id say Wolfenstein 3D. You're much more squishy in Wolf3d and almost every enemy hitscans.

Enemies like the mutants hit hard and fast with little to no time to react and with no infighting its easy to get overwhelmed. Ammo is also frequently an issue in Wolf3d - 99 bullets, all bullet weapons and no backpacks in the original. You're more easily placed into disadvantageous positions. 

Wolfenstein 3D on IADA is harder than Doom on UV because:

• Jankier controls.
  • Almost all enemies are hitscan.
  • Enemies can shoot through each other. So you can't use enemies as meat shield. It also means no infighting.
  • Enemies move faster and are surprisingly better at navigating environments than the enemies in Doom.
  • BJ is much more squishy than Doomguy.
  • Very limited ammo capacity. Only 99 bullets ammo vs the Doomguy's 400/100/100/600 ammo of bullets, shells, rockets and cell.
  • A lot of ammo/health is hidden being secret pushwalls. So you better be good at finding them, else you will have a bad time.
  • The level design is much more BS.
  • No automap makes navigation harder (as if the wolf3D's mazes aren't already hard to navigate).

15 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Every time I play Wolf3d, I get lost and give up. Walking around rooms that look identical while getting hitscanned isn't my idea of fun.

Understandable heh

I know I'm on the minority, but that's something I really like on Wolf-3D games (I see it as some sort of puzzle-solving between the action). A good tip to not getting lost is paying attention to these three marks: wall decorations, sprite decorations and the shape of the room. The more generic wall textures are not effective to identify single areas, but can be used to spot big chunks of the level and tell you something about your position on the map. I would say the Episode 1 is the blandest and most easy to get lost, but it gets a bit better on E2 and E3 and then highly improves on E4 E5 E6. It gets a lot better on Spear of Destiny as well.

Anyway, not trying to convert you or anything - I just though it would be fun to chat about it XD

Edited by Noiser

It's like Super Mario Bros. but with more levels, it gets more bullshit over the time.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:12 AM, Avoozl said:

In Wolf 3D enemies can shoot through other enemies without hurting them or causing any kind of infighting.

Wolf3D's enemies can also shoot through pillars if they see you.

Wolf 3D is definitely more vicious. I'm just glad you only have to deal with Mutants in the second episode (secret levels notwithstanding), but then there's Spear of Destiny to integrate them more into the rest of the game, so... owie.

Also, glad to see some Wolf '09 love. I call the game "Ravenstein" to distinguish it from the others. One of the best FPS games of the seventh gen and it got an unfairly raw deal, dammit.

5 minutes ago, Master O said:

Wolf3D's enemies can also shoot through pillars if they see you.

That's because the pillars in Wolf3D are decorations like the trees in Doom are.

15 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

Wolf 3D is definitely more vicious. I'm just glad you only have to deal with Mutants in the second episode (secret levels notwithstanding), but then there's Spear of Destiny to integrate them more into the rest of the game, so... owie.

You forgot Spear of Destiny's two additional mission packs, where the mutants are replaced with bats.

Just now, Master O said:

You forgot Spear of Destiny's two additional mission packs, where the mutants are replaced with bats.

You know, I never got around to playing those. I only remember them as "those questionable mission packs where your guns look like toys and are extremely blue," haha.

3 hours ago, Sotenga said:

You know, I never got around to playing those. I only remember them as "those questionable mission packs where your guns look like toys and are extremely blue," haha.

https://youtu.be/DxU7kBEcIzQ?t=229

You'll never look at bats the same way again.

2020 already did that for me.

How is that even a mission pack, how have I not heard of it before?