Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gyroaeg

Which is better? Doom or Quake?

In terms of Quake felt Quake 1's expansions did a better job than the base game at least with Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity had poor weapon balancing.

Edited by Avoozl

Unpopular opinion but I don’t like Quake much at all :-P

For me I think it is mainly the colour pallet... 256 shades of brown XD

Also kinda feels like two completely different games smooshed together (which it kinda was due the the internal issues at Id at the time). Some parts of the resulting mix are pretty cool but others just fall flat for me :-P

21 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Also kinda feels like two completely different games smooshed together

Yeah, you're gonna notice its weird mish-mash aesthetic thanks to its hellish and unfocused development history. Quake's a bit of a mess in that regard, but still a ton of fun. A beautifully misshapen eldritch horror that has won many hearts regardless.

Quake is cool for the variety of traps and platforms, etc. you can make with actual moving level-geometry that has stop points, movement speed, etc. and for having actual 3D elements like water and 3d architecture that left OG Doom in the dust. The sound, engine capabilities and atmosphere make it especially nice for Gothic-feeling levels and desolate castles.

The weapons are abysmal though: I can only think of one, the Perforator, that doesn't feel totally impotent next to its Doom counterparts. Unlike Doom, the weapons mostly deprecate at you get the more powerful versions: why would you EVER use the plain Nailgun when you have the Perforator? Sure Doom's pistol does the same, but it's a pistol you start with! Don't get me started on that "shotgun" you start out with in Quake...you can't even kill a damn dog with a single shot! Thankfully I've never had to shoot a dog IRL, but I'm pretty confident a point-blank shotgun blast typically ends the way Old Yeller did. They should've made the shotgun more powerful and only started you out with the axe instead of what it ended up as: a grey coloured-pencil whose shots sound like a filing cabinet closing and hits about as hard. Yuck. Also, that Lightning Gun is totally bizarre in that it's the only weapon to use Cells as its ammo and will fugg you up if you use it underwater...which is pretty cool TBH, but it's not an ULTIMATE WEAPON the way a BFG is. They should've given it some basic homing/arcing ability

Some of the enemies really kick ass--specifically the Fiend and Shambler which are total nightmare-fuel--but others like the knights, the Vore and those Spawns have obnoxious AI and look and feel ridiculous in almost every context. Like DooM Bear said, the hard line between "techy" and "medieval" themes is a real mess too...Doom was cohesive and just got the atmosphere right. I also feel Quake's monsters are an absolute H.P.Lovecraft jerkfest right down to the crappy bosses...they're trying to channel this sense of a nigh-incomprehensible cosmic horror, but I find it has the opposite effect when it's ultimately just a bunch of shit you're blasting. "If it bleeds we can kill it" isn't a rule I'd expect to apply to some kind of Dimensional Shambler, it's just lame. Also, a chainsaw-wielding, grenade-launching Ogre sounds awesome in itself, but how does it fit in with anything else? Like I said, it's just a mess conceptually. 

Edited by THT

YES. Haven't heard this question for at least three month.
But it is easy: DOOM and QUAKE are better.
Maybe one of them is more better then the other,
but that depends and I am not sure regarding this point.

Edited by DoomGater

11 hours ago, gyroaeg said:

What if you only need to choose one? 

12 hours ago, gyroaeg said:

For me, I can't really compare them at all

I don't really consider the two so different, to be honest- Quake in a lot of ways is just a 3D tech upgrade of Doom with a different plot and monsters. But for how barebones the story is in oldschool id Software games, that's not a huge crime... you mess with teleports and evil stuff comes out. Although I love HP Lovecraft and the monster designs are awesome in Quake.

But overall, I think Doom was more comfortable graphically. The jump to 3D games was a huge and clumsy step, and it usually looked like shit in most examples. Quake did pretty good, but it still wasn't as... "native" graphically as Doom. But that still isn't to suggest I think Doom is superior. I actually kind of liked how the weapons did less damage to enemies too, though I think it could've used some revising.

If you were asking instead "Doom or Wolfenstein" or "Doom or Rage" or "Doom or Commander Keen", lol, the answer would be outrageously obvious. But Quake and Doom are like siblings of the same school of thought, I don't like to debate it.

1 hour ago, THT said:

Like I said, it's just a mess conceptually. 

That's because it is literally a design mess and it's the result of such... it started off as a entirely different concept where a straight FPS was retrofitted in much later and towards the end of development. 

It was never meant to be a DOOM-style FPS, and they had to take all the characters, maps, lore designed for a different genre/style and make it work as such.

Simiarily, it was on track to meet the same fate Ion Storm's later game Daikatana suffered with bigger & better dreams of a different type of game (with Daikatana being victim of mismanagement, hype, marketing, inept development, excessive production time and technical limitations of the era made it the mess that it was), but fortunately for Quake they realized what a mess a bigger Mideval RPG-themed ambition was becoming relatively quickly, and by some luck, it just so happen to be passable with a hackjob scifi story shift and a few extra elements to make it a mindless FPS. As far as the single-play experience goes, anywho.

Oh, and everyone had a raging Reznor hard-on back then, so I'm sure the NIN aspect boosted sales, too.

Edited by Buckshot

I definitely think Doom looks prettier out of the two. It has colours other than brown, green, and brownish-green. I also don't have much if any nostalgia for that low-poly 3D model look.

13 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

If quake had the enemies Desing of Doom would win. 

Quake have a more great level Desing that Doom, and those crafted QuadDamage are good. 

In doom every enemie except mid tier to high can be dealt in seconds, so for difficult spike there can be a plentiful. In Quake there is lower tier that can't be dealt as fast and Doom, and they not overextended on the Quatity of them for 3D reasons.  So a win for Doom

In weapons stills won doom, as their SSG and BFG can't compare to their SSG and Lighting gun, only with QD. 

Graphics wins Quake, as can be more flexible than Doom on the rigth wads  And 3D is pretty. 

I can't understand half of this.

Quake's atmosphere is way better. I really love its satanic imagery and monster design. These scary and lovecraftian beasts are more impressive and scream "Hell" a lot louder than the cyberpunk-ish monsters you find in Doom II (Mancubus, Arachnotron, Revenant, Spider Mastermind even).

Still, Doom's gameplay is superior. Doom II offers a wide array of interesting styles and battle scenarios that Quake has trouble emulating.
In the end, I stuck with Doom, but I still replay Quake from time to time (mostly to check out new mapsets posted on func_msgboard).

I played Quake before I played Doom, and even with that it is impossible for me to choose one over the other. They're two completely different games, and when people say Quake is just a 3D Doom reskin, I tend to believe they suck at Quake and needed to look for an excuse to not play it. Whether that is the case or not.. I disagree with the idea that Quake is just another Doom, and I find those types of statements to stem from ignorance. 

So I second what Edward said, "Why can't we have both?". 

since I just wrote a massive post on quake I'm gonna post here too:

the answer is Doom

but quake rules too! I didn't like it all that much originally but it's really grown on me over the past few years. now I'm old and bitter and hateful the only fps I really like is doom, and quake is like doom but different enough that I can enjoy it when I've been playing doom too much and need a palette cleanser.

some general thoughts:

weapons: disagree with @THT, the weapons mostly aren't upgrades with the exception of the super nailgun (or perforator if we're to believe the manual). The SSG sucks at sniping and the GL fires quite a bit faster than the RL and can be lobbed over things so those do have discrete roles. Agree the LG's a bit disappointing as ultimate weapon but it's still neato due to it's damage output.

monsters: awesome art design, esp. on the fiends. Fuck I was terrified of those things as a kid, one of the few fps monsters to inspire a genuine fear reaction in me. now I'm older I find them a bit easy to cheese but that's hard won wisdom I guess. Also: only one hitscanner monster. I just wanna run around in circles like a big hooting moron and quake enables that like no other game, even doom.

levels: episode 4 is the best. Name a more fucked-up inhuman feeling set of levels from any game -- you can't. There's a remake of E4M3 floating around that cleans up the geo and makes it more detailed and stuff but it loses the ineffable feeling of "I'm not welcome here" that the original exudes. The weird ugliness of Sandy's levels is a real virtue here, unlike in eg. Doom 2 where I wish they'd gotten someone else to do a visual update on em. Episode 3 has the coolest theme though.

complexity: p simple due to lower enemy and weapon variety = less interesting interactions. There isn't really an equivalent to the RL vs. painie dilemma in quack.

gameplay: huah huah huah huah

Edited by dmdr

On 8/20/2020 at 5:29 AM, gyroaeg said:

I've been playing Doom and it is really good. I also tried Quake but there is something that feels really off (maybe because everything is in 3d lol. I'm so used to Doom's 2d sprites). Doom is still better for me in terms of the feel of the game. In terms of level design, I can't really compare them since i haven't played for that long. But i wanna also hear other opinions about this. I know it's useless to post this in a Doom forum because obviously everyone will choose doom but as i written earlier i wanna hear other's opinions. 

So in terms of Level Design, Complexity, Graphics, Weapons, Variety of Enemies, and overall Gameplay, Which do you think is better? 

For me, I can't really compare them at all because im still not that far at Quake, but in terms of Graphics and Gameplay, Doom wins for me.

Heretic!.. hex.. ehh.. doom of course

:-D

On 8/20/2020 at 9:31 PM, WH-Wilou84 said:

Quake's atmosphere is way better. I really love its satanic imagery and monster design. These scary and lovecraftian beasts are more impressive and scream "Hell" a lot louder than the cyberpunk-ish monsters you find in Doom II (Mancubus, Arachnotron, Revenant, Spider Mastermind even).

Still, Doom's gameplay is superior. Doom II offers a wide array of interesting styles and battle scenarios that Quake has trouble emulating.
In the end, I stuck with Doom, but I still replay Quake from time to time (mostly to check out new mapsets posted on func_msgboard).

all those things you love from quake can also be had in doom with mods

@dmdr: mods could replace all hitscan enemies with ones that use projectiles