Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

a glitch?!

i'm posting this thread for anyone who wants to throw on random incidents they had with DOOM/DOOM II/FINAL DOOM. now for mine

the incident occured in DOOM II Map28: Monster Condo. I went into the library-style area and killed a spectre. an archvile came along, and as i was plugging away at him he resurected the spectre. this is fine, as archviles are supposed to do that, right? well, the spectre was literally a ghost from then on out. he could attack and hurt me, but everytime i shot him, it went right through, as if he wasn't there. even worse, he could travel through walls. i used idclip and he followed me right on outside of the map area. it also happened in one of the karthik82 levels i download (i don't remember which one). this happen to anybody else? anyone know why this happened?

This happens all the time. If a monster is killed and then crushed (by a door or whatever) and then resurrected, it's a ghost. You can only kill them with rocket/barrel splash damage or close-range attacks of other monsters. It can happen in any level with Arch-Viles. Some wads even use this on PURPOSE, even though it's really annoying.

monochrome said:

the incident occured in DOOM II Map28: Monster Condo.

...Ahem...

What monochrome really meant to say is:
the incident occured in DOOM II Map27: Monster Condo.

;)

...there are also many threads around here talking about ghosts iirc.

Insomniac said:

BTW, what are some of the wads that have that purposeful ghost feture?

Here is a list of ones that spring to mind:
Requiem map23
Hell Revealed map26
Icarus map24
Eternal map25
Wtrfront.wad
Seej.wad
Archie.wad
The Gathering II map05
Please feel free to add to this list!

Regarding the site that BBG linked to, a small amendment: there can be ghost pain elementals, but it is exceptionally rare: the Archie needs to resurrect it with perfect timing.

Well, that would sure explain a lot... I was playing a custom wad some years ago (can't remember the name), and after the archviles came, four demons were running around as if with IDCLIP on. At first I thought it was some weird bug, but was even more puzzled after I found out the demo I was making recorded that as well!

Now for something else. I can imagine this is well-known, but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere, so I ask here. Anyone ever noticed that when you're in a corridor with at least one long wall without interruptions, and you go stand on one side of the corridor, against the wall but facing the other side, so the wall is parallel to your eyesight, and you start running to the other side, you accellerate rapidly (more that when you run in a straight line, NOT touching a wall)... If you don't know what I'm talking about and/or don't believe it, I probably can make a demo and put it in there, it's not too hard to do.

Wall-running: a very standard technique in speedrunning. The effect can even work without a wall as long as there is some sort of row of objects to run next to - the best example of this is probably the "barrel-run jump" in Doom2 map23.

I don't think the oddities thread is old... This should be merged, probably.

My first experience with those ghosts was whilst making my level Ancient, a million and one years ago. At the time I thought it was some weird bug in the level, but after reading about "ghosts" in doom2 on a forum later on, I was glad to discover that it wasn`t my level that was the problem :)

johnatone is sorry about the level number mistake, johnatone is slipping in his old age (and johnatone is only 15. if that's old, uh oh...). johnatone is glad the ghost issue is cleared up, and he thanks all who helped.

johnatone is speaking in the third person from here on out.

scorpion said:

Now for something else. I can imagine this is well-known, but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere, so I ask here. Anyone ever noticed that when you're in a corridor with at least one long wall without interruptions, and you go stand on one side of the corridor, against the wall but facing the other side, so the wall is parallel to your eyesight, and you start running to the other side, you accellerate rapidly (more that when you run in a straight line, NOT touching a wall)... If you don't know what I'm talking about and/or don't believe it, I probably can make a demo and put it in there, it's not too hard to do.

yeah, thats wall-running....
There is also the silent bfg bug, if you press the wall with your usekey, the same time as you fire your bfg, you will not hear the bfg firing sound, but the "mmph" sound... :)

A other one is the plasmagun platform on map01, when you play dm...
In doom2.exe you can hit this one from the ground, instead of use the lift, but it does't seems to work in the ports, I have seen it is working in legacy, but not zdoom, zdaemon, etc...
(well, you can if you it from the edge of the platform)

Wall-running is probably a consequence of some weird property of the code in the function P_SlideMove, which is called on certain objects when they're sliding against a wall. I would guess that in that case, some surrogate code is being used to avoid what would otherwise be a division by zero, and that this surrogate case gives you more momentum than you'd have when sliding in any other direction.

Note I think this because wall-running works only along perfectly straight walls running along ONE of the axes, and not the other, although thing running seems to work in any direction, because it uses different code for one thing, I believe.

Anyways wall running is cool. I use it whenever I can :P

I don't know exactly where he found it, but Randy Heit has nailed down the bit of code that causes wall-running, and it's now a compatability option in Zdoom.

I was playing Doom 1 and on E2M2, I went to the area where there was one baron of hell mixed in with the imps, dog demons and zombies -- when I killed off the lesser enemies, I took the baron of hell to a place nearby where there was a barrel, hoping to kill him with it, since I was low on ammo. So I did that and as soon as it exploded on him, he faced where the barrel used to be and started scratching at the empty air. After a few minutes of scratching and pain noises, he died. Really weird. It worked on the consoles too...especially the Jaguar version.

Quasar said:

Note I think this because wall-running works only along perfectly straight walls running along ONE of the axes, and not the other, although thing running seems to work in any direction, because it uses different code for one thing, I believe.

On the page I linked to above, Adam Hegyi wrote: "Oddly enough, the barrels are west-east in direction, not south-north as wallrunning requires. There is an explanation on this which is rather complicated, but if you're interested, send a mail and I'll try to explain."