Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomkid's Mega! [Episode 1 Finalized]

21 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Just finished watching it, very helpful. Reinforces my idea that a touch more ammo is needed, especially on map01. It's going to be a megawad anyway, so the ball-busting should at least have the courtesy to wait until map02 - map01 should be more about just getting a feel for the vibe the set is going for. I also have a few secrets that are either too obvious or too subtle that I'll readjust slightly. Thanks for playing what's there so far!

No problem I had fun playing. yeah I had a really weird experience with this one in terms of difficulty. The first map was the hardest. I seem to have an easier time as the maps went on. That last map had way too many soul spheres haha

Keeping that dream alive, Doomkid. I know I’m always guaranteed some fast, classic, run-and-gun action with your releases, and of course this was no exception. I’m really looking forward to the rest of this set.

Loved the small, looping techbase setups, and some of these were genuinely more challenging than I was expecting! Especially the opening map which I desperately think could use at least a Green Armour (perhaps in that early chaingun secret). Otherwise, the gameplay seemed pretty polished across the board, with the Red Key setup in MAP04 probably being responsible for the majority of my deaths (that was giving me some Plutonia vibes, in all the right ways). It was a bit of a shame that the last few levels didn’t have much in the way of secrets – I was having a blast hunting for those in the early maps – but with so many of the Soulspheres, armor, and ammo caches being out in the open and part of progression later on, perhaps those levels don’t really need secrets.

MAP06 was probably my favorite level, gameplay-wise. That opening was really exciting! MAP07 also really stood out visually, with that striking green and black combo outside.

I always enjoy your dehacked arsenal, and you stayed relatively true to your proven formula here. A competent pistol/rifle capable of clearing most low-tier stuff, a very satisfying and effective chaingun, and a totally badass chainsaw. These aren’t huge changes, but they add just the right amount of “something extra” to the combat overall. As far as the dehacked enemies, it was really nice to see such a variety given to the low-tier fodder, and definitely added some spice to the classic “techbase crawling with imps and former humans” style. It left me with a little to be desired the further I got into the set, hoping to see some of your dehacked magic reaching the mid and high-tier monsters, but perhaps you’re saving that for future levels. Or, perhaps you’ve run out of frames to utilize! Not a deal breaker, in the end, obviously.

Oh and, as always, loved the midi selection. Zeppelin is always a fine choice.

Only noticed one issue. These stairs in MAP06 are pain sectors --

Spoiler

GqJMvXOl.png

I feel like there are not enough rockets all over the place. Also, too many hazards. That's fine with poisons, but all the regular blood pools deal damage as well for some reason. Make it look like lava then?

Here is my walkthrough:

YouTube really scolds me for using authorized music, but I don't give a damn about monetization of bloody ads.

Edited by Dimon12321

I've cleaned up this old wad, you can download it here!

https://doomshack.org/uploads/DKMEGA1.ZIP

I still do plan to develop this into a full megawad some day.. Just not right now. In the mean time, I wanted to get Episode 1 cleaned up and ready for a proper idgames release.

Also, I forgot to include it in the textfile which is already on it's way to idgames.. but the music tracks are as follows:

01: Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin

02: Heartbreaker / Livin' Lovin' Maid by Led Zeppelin

03: Dazed And Confused by Led Zeppelin

04: Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin

05: The Rover by Led Zeppelin

06: For Your Life by Led Zeppelin

07: When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin

08: Kashmir by Led Zeppelin

Title: Sofa No. 1 by Frank Zappa

Inter: Sleep Dirt by Frank Zappa

Story: Cucamonga by Frank Zappa

EDIT: lol, since I left 10 months in between feedback, I forgot a few things that were mentioned to me in this thread x_x

Oh well, nothing too major thankfully!

Edited by Doomkid

I've started playing through this and it's action packed, loving it! The secrets are really cool as well.

Heartbreaker is so rockin' to play Doom to!

I forgot to report something back then, whoops. So, I very briefly checked this back when it was newborn, and then the newest update later. I quite enjoyed the gameplay a lot more this time than before, probably because it took me a bit to come to terms with the high hitscan volume that prevailed in most every room I explored, but as I found the health and armor on the generous side, secrets aplenty, in favor of adopting aggressiveness, my perspective changed. The speedy chainsaw and general weapon upgrades, coupled with the slightly goofy sprites (the gray soldier), the old-school vanilla appeal, while also keeping an overall fresh and modern vibe, all contributed to good times, so I'm eager to see your future episodes once you have them ready!

And the lone issue(s) were minor, definitely nothing that'd urge an update asap but to keep in mind. This step was damaging and this misaligned tex in the last room both in map 06. 

Thank you for the review and for reminding me of those issues! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. I think the initial build was a lot rougher in the gameplay department - I decided to be less stingy with ammo while updating the maps and the result was something far more fun and fair generally.

Just tried a few maps on this wad right now. A very good start, and I really look forward to the continuation. The secrets are interesting to find and most of them are pretty rewarding. The traps are mean, but fair, especially the double whammy with both a revenant and an arch vile at the end of map 3, and then the double revenant and teleport in the next map.

Yea, I enjoyed the maps so far (just finished map 03) and I really liked the additions, even though I'm not particularly a fan of hit scan lol

Thanks for the comments! Glad you've liked what you've played so far, I'll try to make any future episodes better too.

Your maps have a unique quality and aesthetic down to the HUD. The statusbar, music, sprites, and visuals all add up to something memorable and identifiable as a Doomkid map. All of them are loyal to the fun factor of the original DOOM games while also feeling new and also more consistent.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Thanks to all 3 of you for the positive comments, definitely encourages me to keep at it!