Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teppers05

Changing Doomguy Status Face Sprites For Player Classes?

Question

I'm trying to make a WAD with different playable characters. I've been using the player classes because they were basically what I was looking for. I've seen that you can change the sprites for the player classes but is there a way to change the sprites for the status face?

4 answers to this question

On 8/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, Teppers05 said:

I'm trying to make a WAD with different playable characters. I've been using the player classes because they were basically what I was looking for. I've seen that you can change the sprites for the player classes but is there a way to change the sprites for the status face?

I'm interested too, can I take a look of what are you doing in the decorate, maybe we could help ourselves

Edit: I think I found something: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes         https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

Edit of the Edit: I found a guy that actually made it with Terminator, it's pretty cool Thou, check his Wad and the decorates, he have a Player Pawn for each type of class. Maybe that's the way:

Also, I found this too, it's the quick noob's quick guide for us XD:

I'm still searching how to change the Faces. I saw in the original Wads of Doom that the face sprites is called "STFS" That could be "Status Faces", but I'm still searching how to change it by the class.

I just found until now some like we want. This wad is "Pasta Power, Baby", found it here. I was analizing the file, and have something. There is a image called Mario and another Called Luigi (Just the names with a mario game font) But in the actual game, they displays in their correspondient class. I'm seeking how.

Edited by noigs2015 : Adding some links

2 hours ago, noigs2015 said:

I'm interested too, can I take a look of what are you doing in the decorate, maybe we could help ourselves

Edit: I think I found something: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes         https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

Edit of the Edit: I found a guy that actually made it with Terminator, it's pretty cool Thou, check his Wad and the decorates, he have a Player Pawn for each type of class. Maybe that's the way:

Also, I found this too, it's the quick noob's quick guide for us XD:

I'm still searching how to change the Faces. I saw in the original Wads of Doom that the face sprites is called "STFS" That could be "Status Faces", but I'm still searching how to change it by the class.

I just found until now some like we want. This wad is "Pasta Power, Baby", found it here. I was analizing the file, and have something. There is a image called Mario and another Called Luigi (Just the names with a mario game font) But in the actual game, they displays in their correspondient class. I'm seeking how.

I actually find it there. Is a file that modify the Status Bar, like it own Decorate. Here I left a pic with the example:

Spoiler

Remember the images I mentioned, here they are linked

image.png.6cc94a0d17857cec0b7c3acef9bdded9.png

And by last, here's the Zdoom Wiki entry for more information https://zdoom.org/wiki/SBARINFO

It was very cool investigate it. Generally the ZDoom Wiki have all the answers, but sometimes they are too hidden, right?

Ok, I lost myself trying to do this, so i'll let a little guide.

First, Must have your sprites Named this way: "XXXST00", Where:

Spoiler
  • XXX is the Por- I mean the identification of the group of images, is like a prefix.
  • ST is the status and it change dependind the "State" the player is:
    • ST is the normal one, looking around. (There must be 3 of this per health state, but that's defined by the number.)
    • TL is taking damage from left. (1)
    • TR is taking damage from right. (1)
    • OUCH is the legend taking a lot of damage. (1)
    • EVL is the evil Grin that all we love taking a new weapon. (1)
    • KILL is when you let the trigger pushed until it breaks. (1)
    • GOD is iddqd purposed XD.
    • DEAD is when you surrendered to live.
  • The first 0 is the order the game takes it by health, the first number determines the health state (0 is above 80% / 1 is between 79% and 60% / 2 is 59% until 40% / 3 is 39% until 20% / 4 is 19% until 1%)
  • And the second 0 is the order of them, generally, is just for the ST, where 0 is looking to the right, 1 is center looking and 2 is looking to the left. TL and TR just have "00", and the other states have just a 0 without a second number.

They should be 42 sprites in total, 8 for each health level (40), 1 for god (I readed it could be even 2 but dunno about it), 1 for death, and those two just have a 0 by number and not two numbers (XXXGOD0 / XXXDEAD0).

Now comes the easy part. just set your classes in the MapInfo, Then in Decorate you will give each class this property: Player.Face and just then type in doublequotes "XXX" (Your sprites prefix name), and that's all. The SBARINFO is for determined things, but don't figure what exactly yet.

A thing I would add is that the game "fix" the pics to the bar, like elonging them vertically, so I suggest to see the correct offsets and sizes in the actual game of your sprites before counting the win. Try to do the imgs 33*30px and put the offsets of them in -1 and -2, it'll fit in the face square.

Edited by noigs2015