Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

If you had a time machine to go back in time, what would you change in the original DOOM?

Horizontally they can be at least up to 1024. Vertically they can't be taller than 128.

I should have said taller not higher.

35 minutes ago, HitBoi64 said:

Textures can be up to 512, Not 128.

R_Drawcolumn is hardcoded to repeat all textures vertically every 128 pixels.

Masked columns are a different story because they can be made of multiple posts at different offsets (Example, the shotgun reloading sprite)

2 hours ago, Gerolf said:

I get what you mean, but there’s something you should know in case you don’t already... Duke Nukem copied the same basic formula for guns from Doom. All the basic styles of weapons are also present in DN3D.

I meant "Some of" and not "Every", For an example i said that i can implement a Unmaker that replaces the BFG in Doom 1. But the Weapon needs its own attack, [Besides the BFG attack], (And depending on Weapon's Design/Similarity-Awareness(?)). So, It should use the Duke Nukem 3d's Flamethrower attack.

And also, Isn't many Games have Similarities?

Dosen't Sans from UnderTale look Simlar to Ness from EarthBound,

Dosen't Blood Borne and Hollow Knight share the same Atmosphere/Gameplaywise (If you have played them)?

Edited by HitBoi64

6 hours ago, Maes said:

They already are, at least in term of HP. Did you mean something else here?

In my perspective. Pains spit Lost souls a lot, Archies can resurrect Monsters, And burn Players. And i Don't see that Archies are That Strong.

And if you compare 2 Pains to 4 Archies in a single square room (With Covers);

You'll notice that they share the same hardness Level, And the Archies are more than the Pains!

Edited by HitBoi64 : Bad Grammar, Opps ):

2 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

Yes, but there wasn't anything like Doom, in terms of weaponry, before Doom (Wolf 3D may be an FPS but it is not really like Doom, especially in the weapon design). Duke Nukem 3D took inspiration from Doom's weapon roster, and Doom still wasn't that old at that point yet (and DN3D development began in 94), and this was during the time that "FPS" was still commonly known as "Doom Clone" which didn't seem to stop until right around Duke 3D and Quake's releases. Doom's impact from 1993 still can be seen in modern games with the weapon types they use. Sure, we can argue that it's just because there's different weapons in real life, but it can't just be coincidence that there's usually always weapons that fit the categories I described earlier. I think you may have misunderstood me. Basically: Doom set a foundation down for FPS weapon design in 1993, and people still use that foundation to this day because it is a very effective way at creating a roster of interesting weaponry. They may do so these days without even realizing it, but it all started with Doom. 

34 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

<quote>

Stop giving me stuff that i know, Im not against you.

I'd just reduce mancubus health a little bit to get rid of the worst of the 3/4 rocket nonsense. The RNG system itself is basically fine by me, but come on now.

15 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

In my perspective. Pains spit Lost souls a lot, Archies can resurrect Monsters, And burn Players. And i Don't see that Archies are That Strong.

You'll notice that they share the same hardness Level, And the Archies are more than the Pains!

20 Lost Souls per map limit (at least on vanilla), lack of another ranged attack, lack of a melee attack (you can just sit right before them and prevent them from spawning Lost Souls at any time), ability to infight with other monsters (yes, they can, although with a catch) and lower pain chance. You're welcome ;-)

Curiously though, how you'd propose to balance them? Making them have half their normal HP (400 -> 200), below even that of a Rev (300) to the point that even single SSG shots would kill them nearly every time?

Edited by Maes

Double the plasma ammo count so I can fire 1200 plasma shots in pure plasma rifle glory. @w@

Seperate the chaingun and pistol ammo types as well as BFG and plasma rifle so you're not forced to use one or the other.

More or better frames (don't know much about frames) on the movement of the Revenant.  I grown used to it now though and it would probably be bad to change it. 

22 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

6 hours ago, Maes said:

20 Lost Souls per map limit (at least on vanilla), lack of another ranged attack, lack of a melee attack (you can just sit right before them and prevent them from spawning Lost Souls at any time), ability to infight with other monsters (yes, they can, although with a catch) and lower pain chance. You're welcome ;-)

Curiously though, how you'd propose to balance them? Making them have half their normal HP (400 -> 200), below even that of a Rev (300) to the point that even single SSG shots would kill them nearly every time?

Yeah I gotta agree with Maes here. I always play on Zandronum so I don't have the advantage of the 20 Lost soul limit. Even so, I don't see how you think 2 Pains is as strong as 4 Archies. If you have the right weapons and enough movement space, 2 Pain Elementals are no where near as difficult to deal with as 4 Archies. Even 3 archies I would say is harder than 2 Pain Elementals. The reason being you have multiple options to deal with PE's easily. You can hit them a few times with the SSG at close range to drop them. I think 2-4 blasts should do the trick. One PE with no other monsters are criminally easy to deal with thanks to being able to get right in their face to stop them from spawning any Lost souls at all. If you have the Chaingun, you can stun-lock them and dispatch them with ease. If you have the BFG and enough ammo, 2 PE's are a joke where as 4 Archies, you still need to be careful.

On an unrelated note, I remembered one big change I would make to Doom: I would have the Plasma Rifle use separate ammo from the BFG. The Plasma Gun is my favorite weapon from Doom and it becomes kinda obsolete when you pick up the BFG except for some very niche cases. 

I would put some minimal 3D collisions, because monsters with infinite height, in a game that is made to have different heights does not work. In wolfenstein3D this is fine, because everything is at the same height, but in DooM many times it happens to me that I want to go through a door but I can't because there is a cacodemon next to me but three thousand kilometers high.
And another thing that I would put are action specials with arguments, that is, having a special line for each type of trigger is very ugly, besides everything they are all out of order.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, URROVA said:

And another thing that I would put are action specials with arguments, that is, having a special line for each type of trigger is very ugly, besides everything they are all out of order.

Too old, Half-Life invented that: HF's Scripted Sequences.

Edit: Oh Crap, I was wrong. They're just made for Cutscenes ):

And also (As far as i know) they're not out of order.

There's a salary list of them in any Doom Map Editors.

Edited by HitBoi64

On 8/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, HitBoi64 said:

I meant "Some of" and not "Every", For an example i said that i can implement a Unmaker that replaces the BFG in Doom 1. But the Weapon needs its own attack, [Besides the BFG attack], (And depending on Weapon's Design/Similarity-Awareness(?)). So, It should use the Duke Nukem 3d's Flamethrower attack.

Dosen't Sans from UnderTale look Simlar to Ness from EarthBound,

Dosen't Blood Borne and Hollow Knight share the same Atmosphere/Gameplaywise (If you have played them)?

eh, i dont think sans looks at all like ness.

Sans has a jacket, ness has a t-shirt

They both have shorts.

Sans is a skeleton, ness is a human.

Ness is skinny/ a little chubby, sans is one fat mofo.

Sans has a voice, ness pretty much doesnt.

Im not trying to fight you on this but im just pointing stuff out.

I'd be really nice if the Doom engine had polyobjects, not only would they significantly increase the amount of possibilities for what ID's level designers like Romero could make and do, along with what the community can make, but it probably wouldn't be TOO demanding on the commercially available early 90s hardware Doom was made for.

Add ACS or something similar to it to Doom, having a full scripting language would make the possibilities of what you can make and do pretty much endless, it would mean that a lot less stuff had to be hardcoded into the engine (Such as the MAP07 behaviour where once every Mancubus in MAP07 is dead, every sector with a tag of 666 is lowered.). This should also be doable on early 90s hardware.

Just make stuff far less hardcoded in general, for example as some other people here have already said it would've been really useful if Doom had something like MAPINFO from the get-go so you could define custom properties for each level without it being hardcoded it into the engine itself , such as being able to define a different sky for each map instead of every episode being hardcoded to use a single sky texture, having custom par times, level names etc. This would definitely be doable while still being able to run on early 90s computers.

Fix the actor collision so actors don't have infinitely tall hitboxes that lead to really stupid scenarios such as not being able to jump over/off a tall sector because a monster or decoration happens to be right below, even though it's DOZENS OF METERS BELOW. This is also something I see no reason for why it couldn't be done back then.

Once the aforementioned infinitely tall hitboxes are fixed, try adding the ability for rooms to have some kind of Room-over-Room like with 3D floors, like polyobjects this would give far more possibilities for what ID's own designers and modders could do with their level design. I'm not sure how feasible this would be to do in 1993 and with still being able to run on computers of that time though.

To compliment the 3D floors (And to be able to even place stuff on top of them.), add a Z coordinate for actors to use so they can be spawned on top of said 3D floors.

Remove or at least raise the static limits of the engine such as by raising the visplane and vissprite limit to something like 1024 instead of 128, while at it also raise the maximum amount of RAM that can be allocated to 16 or even 32 MB instead of just 6 MB, for a bit of future proofing.

Add all the optimizations that FastDoom implements to the engine, except for the -flatsurfaces flags and the like and stuff like potato mode, basically just don't also add the stuff that requires way too much sacrifice to do. Adding these optimizations should hopefully offset at least some of the extra hardware requirements all the above features would demand

Those are all the ideas I can think of for now.

Would bring a modern computer back with me loaded up with the new Dooms and other games for Carmack to reverse-engineer and having gaming technology leap forward by 25 years, thus causing a time paradox that causes me to never go back and not alter the timeline, which alters the timeline again to back to normal which means I'm going back again...and on and on forever stuck in a multi-dimensional temporal loop probably destroying the fabric of space-time causing nothing to exist, or have ever existed.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:51 PM, Wagi said:

Deathmatch but with weapons stay AND respawning items.

Items actually do respawn in Vanilla DOOM, but you'd just have to put in the parameter "altdeath".  There's a reason there's item respawn sprites in the OG files along with the corresponding sound.  I wonder how many people remember/know this?

Video example below:

• Boom namespace fixes so sprites/flats/etc. are easy to replace without weird workarounds.
  • Get rid of PNAMES! TEXTUREx lumps reference patches by name instead of by number.
  • Direct support for standard MIDI files, no MUS format at all! Death to MUS!
  • Externalize to the IWAD several of the predefined tables, notably animations and switches like Boom did (ANIMATION/SWITCHES), but also the mobjinfo and states tables, so that they can be extended easily.
  • Fix Doom II texture definitions so they don't conflict with Ultimate Doom texture definitions.

Those are all realistic changes (in so far as the time travel scenario is accepted as realistic anyway) because they'd have no impact on performances and no drastic changes to how the engine works, and include no fancy features that would require a lot more logic to be added.

If I deviate from that guideline, then I'd add true-3D collision checks (instead of separating the horizontal and vertical components), adding the Heretic/Hexen enhancements (scrolling floors, polyobjects, ACS, various text lumps like MAPINFO, ANIMDEFS, SNDINFO, etc.) as well as many Boom features and various bugfixes but changing the Hexen map format so that parameters are on two bytes instead of one. To compensate for the performance impact of that new stuff, optimizations from FastDoom and similar attempts. And a dozen or so new monsters.

15 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

Items actually do respawn in Vanilla DOOM, but you'd just have to put in the parameter "altdeath".  There's a reason there's item respawn sprites in the OG files along with the corresponding sound.  I wonder how many people remember/know this?

Video example below:

You can have weapons stay (-deatmatch), you can have items respawn (-altdeath) but it won't let you have both.

Implement something similar to MAPINFO, like a text lump containing level names, par times etc.

It's so much annoying that these things are hardcoded in game, and every megawad needs to have exactly 30 maps + 2 secret levels located exactly after level 15. Native support for modifying level names and level flow would make custom mappacks much more flexible.

I would second all the familiar "fix blood colors, nerf lost soul health, etc." no-brainer tweaks. The only truly sacrilegious thing I would do would be to increase the spread of the SSG so that it's less objectively perfect, and more of a reckless high-risk, high-reward weapon (like a melee-range Quake 3 railgun). Never really sat right with me how it dominates the entire Doom 2 arsenal.