Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dokta Whawee

Doom Alpha Maps port?

Is there a way to port the maps from the IdGames Doom v0.2/4/5 Alpha builds? I know that they are just older versions of maps for the most part, but I have always taken an intrest in this kind of content, and would love to know if that is indeed possible to do, or if someone already has. I would love to see it!

Edited by Dokta Whawee

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7onse48r7dsx3g8/0_4resor.zip/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/20ovun34zqgb88n/0_5resor.zip/file

Apart from fixing zero-length lines in maps to make them load properly, these should be as accurate as you can get. I really should get around to removing the random extra weapon sprites and all the sounds I arbitrarily decided to add and strive for accuracy.

Thanks for this, this is neat to play. Not being able to tell what my health and armour is is lame though, as is not be able to fit in some odd spaces, but thats just it was I imagine, being alpha and all that :p

Alpha 0.4 has a non-functional status bar, so that's accurate. As for 0_5resor, it has a non-functional status bar because the aim was to be as vanilla-compatible as possible and I don't believe SBARINFO existed back in 2002 (though my memory is a bit foggy on that). If I was to do a re-release, I'd make it port-enhancable and make a SBARINFO that is as accurate as possible.

As for the height issues, that's simply because the alphas don't check for height. That should be trivial to fix by reducing the player height to something absurd like 16 units.

Finished 0.4, was really neat to see early versions of all those maps from that far back. Had to laugh at the demon-infested showers. Was also neat to see the origin of Xaser's reinterpretation of Map 11, which he reinvented for his Lost Episode. Cracked up at the BFG in that map. Also heh, the Dark Claw.

I'd love to watch full playthroughs of the maps. I understand that some maps aren't in a entirely playable state so maybe someone will take on making edited versions of these early maps.

18 hours ago, deathz0r said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7onse48r7dsx3g8/0_4resor.zip/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/20ovun34zqgb88n/0_5resor.zip/file

Apart from fixing zero-length lines in maps to make them load properly, these should be as accurate as you can get. I really should get around to removing the random extra weapon sprites and all the sounds I arbitrarily decided to add and strive for accuracy.

Thank you so much! I love the work you did! Sadly, the old download links were lost to the sands of time, so I need to thank you so much for this!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

I've made an edited version that's basically just removes most customizations you did (hud, weapons, sounds and most pick up sprites) and leaves plain maps (with some small props still allowed here and there) and was using DoomDelta to play. Where's the ammo on the maps I wonder :).

Spoiler

2020_08.26-00.32_01.png.6f36ff6db22817ff22dd41286c388b6e.png

2020_08.26-00_31.png.806437388d625159c9d37acbf2379e76.png

EDIT:

One thing - unrelated to the wad edit above - that I wonder about is where this "bloody mess" comes from. I noticed it wasn't in the video playthroughs on youtube.

etrn121.png.65a84e914235364f1a54606d9721019b.png

ANOTHER EDIT:

Tried playing through 0.5 and it does have ammo laying around, but I was not able to pass through the doorway to the exit on second level. I.e. the doors opened with a switch but trying to go through fills like bumping into an invisible wall. Was this intended? NEVER MIND - wiki says it was supposed to be impossible to exit.

Edited by ludicrous_peridot