Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

Dynamic Lightning or Sector Lighting

Question

I've started using UDMF format recently and I'm not sure on what kind of lightning I should use I guess I could use both but still I'm just wondering. 

4 answers to this question

It depends entirely on the kind of look you want to go for.  Both have their pros and cons. Sector lights look a lot more classic, and do ambient lightning far better than dyn-lights (not to mention zero FPS hit), but ultimately they're tied to your sectors.

Dyn-lights are vastly more customizable in terms of color, range, shape, movement fall-off etc. etc., but because they are entirely directional if you don't want pitch-black walls scattered about you either need to back them with sector lighting or be ready to have multiple lights hitting every direction.  For ambient areas like outdoor lighting they don't work well at all - much better to use them for situations where you have a specific light-source.

I would recommend exploring how best to make use of both of them for different situations.  

17 hours ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

.... what kind of lightning I should use .....

You can set lightning in MAPINFO.

But I guess you mean lighting in both cases. :)

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

You can set lightning in MAPINFO.

But I guess you mean lighting in both cases. :)

Yeah I meant lighting haha. 

I find a good balanced combination of both is the best bet. Setting the sector lighting to 100 and then using a couple of dynamic spotlights directionally can offer some really lovely lighting and visual effects. Experiment with both and see what combinations you come up with. Be aware though, dynamic lights on masse can really effect your FPS while sector lighting doesn't affect it all. It's all about getting the right balance for how your want to present your map.