Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HQDefault

Issues with sound scripting

Question

So I'm trying to do some basic ACS audio scripting, but it's being really finicky about not wanting to play, to the point that I think it might just be my GZDoom settings.

This is the basic script:

Script 6 (void)
{
    ActivatorSound("INTRO_SPOOK", 1);
}

This is the sound declaration in SND_INFO:

INTRO_SPOOK D_SPOOK

D_SPOOK is a Ogg file, 249.14kb in size

The script is activated through the player walking over (I've tried it via picking up an item as well)

The reason I think it might be my GZDoom settings is because I tested it with the example map here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/PlaySound, and it still didn't work despite changing nothing. I dunno what's happening.

EDIT: I found a temporary solution. I just tied it to an ambient sound entity, and enabled it and disabled it at the correct time. It's clunky, but it'll get the job done for now. (I would still prefer to know the proper way to do this tho)

Edited by HQDefault

4 answers to this question

See what happens if you make D_SPOOK a Wav file instead of an Ogg/Vorbis file.

P.S. the lump should be SNDINFO not SND_INFO.

12 hours ago, andrewj said:

See what happens if you make D_SPOOK a Wav file instead of an Ogg/Vorbis file.

P.S. the lump should be SNDINFO not SND_INFO.

Unfortunately this didn't wield any luck.

(Also I did have the correct lumpname in the actual file, I just wrote it wrong in the thread for some reason)

It probably is playing, only at a volume that's practically inaudible. As the volume range for ActivatorSound is 0-127, the volume of your sound effect is so low that it only seems like it isn't working when it actually is. Try setting the volume (second argument of the function) to 127 and see what happens.

16 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

It probably is playing, only at a volume that's practically inaudible. As the volume range for ActivatorSound is 0-127, the volume of your sound effect is so low that it only seems like it isn't working when it actually is. Try setting the volume (second argument of the function) to 127 and see what happens.

I actually already did have it set to 127 and it didn't work- although I had not remembered to fix it before testing the WAV file rather than the Ogg