• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

The Ancient Gods - Trailer and Release Date

16 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

This could be Doomguy's back

Spoiler

Problem is that when using the Sentinel skin DoomGuy's back doesn't have the mark of the Slayer so i believe that:

1. the devs didn't thought about that detail when creating the skin

2. maybe it's some kind of flashback

3. he gets the mark on his back during a point in the story

Don't read if you don't want possible spoilers

2 hours ago, TenenteZashu said:
  Hide contents

Problem is that when using the Sentinel skin DoomGuy's back doesn't have the mark of the Slayer so i believe that:

1. the devs didn't thought about that detail when creating the skin

2. maybe it's some kind of flashback

3. he gets the mark on his back during a point in the story

Don't read if you don't want possible spoilers

I'm pretty sure that skin is based on his Argent battles before the Slayer Ritual and posterior capture in the sarcophagus.

It's extremely intense so far. I had to turn it down a notch because I am very rusty and they throw a hell of a lot more dicey situations at you. I'm loving it so far. Nothing in vanilla Eternal really measures up to some of the encounters here.

I knew the DLC would be really tough, but I'm not quite sure I expected this.  The first level is just as hard as anything Eternal ever threw at you, even taking into account the Slayer gates.  It's fucking insane.

I'm honestly not quite sure what they were thinking making this a stand-alone expansion.  It's far too difficult and complex for a newcomer to just dive right into without having first gone through the base game and learned the mechanics one at a time.  It doesn't even make the slightest effort to "re-explain" any of the mechanics, either, or ease you in.  It just starts throwing some of the toughest enemies at you from the first battle onwards.  The first level is surprisingly long, too.  According to Steam it took me over 2 hours to beat (granted I explored and found all the secrets/did all the side stuff, but still).

Question:

What is the point of fast travel if it doesn't let you go everywhere?

Spoiler

In the underwater facility, make damn sure you grab the 2up before you go down the corridor into the central chamber, otherwise you WON'T be able to get them again.

On another note, this is basically Slayer Gates: The Game.

This DLC is really amazing so far and I'm digging the story a bit more, set pieces look even better than they did in Eternal.

That said I'm towards the end of the second level and

Spoiler

That 3rd phase of the "punchable-crate-boss" is proving to be fucking impossible no matter what runes I'm using.  The Icon of Sin is a joke compared to this boss...

This game will take awhile.  Eternal was a warmup in comparison to this

3 hours ago, Chubzdoomer said:

Ultra-Violence so far.  I can't even imagine how punishing Nightmare is!

Been playing on nightmare so far after doing a nightmare run last night to prepare.  Been lasting well up until my last comment.

42 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Question:

Hide contents

In the underwater facility, make damn sure you grab the 2up before you go down the corridor into the central chamber, otherwise you WON'T be able to get them again.

Same exact thing happened to me.  Incredibly annoying!

Whoo, just beat it!  According to Steam it took me ~6 hours, so about 2 hours per level.  I got absolutely annihilated in the final battle.  I bet I died at least half a dozen times before I finally came up with a pattern that (mostly) worked.

Overall, I thought it was a solid--if sadistically tough--DLC.

As difficult as it was, I'm not sure I'll ever bother playing through it again.  I think the base campaign's difficulty struck the perfect balance, whereas The Ancient Gods tended to be a little more frustrating than fun in several spots.

I enjoyed fighting the new Turret and angelic enemies--those were really well executed--but I thought the Spirits were a real sore spot.  I like the concept of killing a demon and latching onto its spirit Ghostbusters-style before it finds another host, but I'm just not sure turning already-tough demons into absurd bullet sponges was a great decision.

The new soundtrack was surprisingly... unsurprising?  I figured since Mick Gordon got kicked to the curb we'd end up with something quite different, but the OST was startlingly similar to all of Mick's previous work, at least to me.  There weren't any tracks that stood out, but it got the job done by making battles extra intense and setting the mood, so I can't complain at all.

It'll be interesting to see how Part 2 turns out!

Holy...shit....

I just got to the Blood Swamps (and currently stuck at that buff totem in a cage with a Marauder....) and...wow, they really dialed things up. That first level got a bit long in the tooth by the end, but DAMN. The number of enemies has shot up big time! The scale of the fighting is really starting to feel like old-school Doom in some ways here, IMO. Especially the use of imps and zombie troops, who honestly can be a legit threat now thanks to their numbers. 

My only issue so far is that the Marauder is being over used. Not about to dive into a "Marauder is good/ no he sucks" thing, just saying they maybe got a little too excited with using them as often as they are.  

LOVING the soundtrack. Fits right at home with the Doom 2016/ Eternal base OST's, while still doing its own thing. 

All in all, good start here!

8 hours ago, scalliano said:

Question:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, that one thing is pretty much the big reason why I’ve already decided to just go ahead and delete my first save and just start fresh (especially since I was playing UV with Extra Lives mode since I want to knock out as many milestones in as few attempts as possible).

That and I didn’t even receive the rewards for having completing that level so I’m guessing it’s a bug.

Honestly, I think my frequent playthroughs on Nightmare without any cheats have significantly helped, especially since even during the massive difficulty spikes, I haven’t died once during my initial playthrough of the first level (granted, it was on UV difficulty).

And yeah, I can easily say that this is already Plutonia-tier judging by not just by those aforementioned difficulty spikes, but also judging by how at certain points, you end up fighting literally hundreds of demons at a few points (and that’s not even an exaggeration).

I don’t know, I guess I just feel frustrated with literally everything right now, and I probably won’t be as lucky the next time around.

Finally finished it on Nightmare about an hour ago...the last fight took well over 30 mins and I should have probably turned the difficulty down.  Overall it was a blast, though I didn't play any of the slayer gates.  How do those play out?

3 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

currently stuck at that buff totem in a cage with a Marauder

I lost two lives there, stupidly. Much harder fights I've come through better. Disappointed I let myself get cornered.

2 hours ago, STILES said:

I didn't play any of the slayer gates.  How do those play out?

Only done one so far, but it's was easier than expected. The campaign is harder. Didn't die on the Slayer Gate, but have died A LOT in the campaign.

completed all the secret encounters and slayer gates, finished the DLC on UV; ill give a disjointed collection of my thoughts.

It's overall a very good experience, although a lot harder than anything present in the base game; never too frustrating except for some of the spirit fights later on; and the spirit enemy as a whole. really slows down the pace of the game when you absolutely have to have a laser beam up this ghost summoners ass for 3 seconds or else it'll go and possess another full health baddy.

the arenas are a bit more complex than in the base, still no real implementation of the parkour setpieces into arenas other than monkeybars, unfortunately. 

story: 

Spoiler

the pacing is terrible; samuel hayden is revealed to be Samur in about 5 seconds, then in the next cutscene he's complaining about transfiguration, which itself is giving an incredibly brief explanation. the reveal of the dark lord taking the form of "a doom slayer from another world(dimension?)" is stupid, and boring. why is samur is a bad guy? what is his motive? is he actually samuel hayden? why does samuel not object to the destruction of Urdak at all until he's in Samur's body. its like his whole personality changes.

the other new enemy, the blood makyr, is also pretty obnoxious sometimes (especially at the end of the campaign) being an enemy thats totally invincible until a specific she uses two specific attacks, both of which make her vulnerable to insta-kill headshots. she might sound easy to counter but the game places her with other demons who will be occupying your attention and theres no cue for when she leaves her invulnerable state; and her strong attacks slow you down considerably, meaning not focusing her will usually result in a slayer that moves at a snails pace.

overall i really enjoyed this DLC and while im not to big a fan of the new enemies the overall experience was good. i really do hope they add more parkour shit to the arenas though 

Alrighty so I decided to give it another try but on regular Nightmare, and hoo boy is it a whole different beast than simply UV.

I’ll post my thoughts here of what I’ve gone through so far and things that stuck out to me:

Spoiler
  • …yeah, that possessed Baron encounter was a major bitch to deal with, but it’s honestly nothing that requires some extraneous tactic or anything; just use the entire arena to your advantage and pummel him with as much firepower as you can muster (basically just keep barraging him with rockets and other assorted explosives). And then make absolute sure that the Spirit goes down as soon as possible otherwise the other Baron will make sure you’re in for a world of hurt.
  • So far, the value of not just the microwave beam but also mods like the energy shield and the sticky bombs are very much shown here due to how much you will need them to clear out hordes.
  • If there was at least one section where I was constantly getting my shit kicked in, it was that “guide dog” section of the Blood Swamps, or more specifically, the Marauder portion of that section. Hell, not even the buffed Marauder was all that difficult compared to this (and nor were things like the invisible Whiplashes, the literal fog of war in that other section, the giant tentacles, or the big arena battles that would mark the end of each trial). 
  • Most likely due to the drastically-increased monster counts, a lot of demons will tend to bunch up together (namely fodder demons sprinkled in with a few heavy demons here and there). What I do in this case is flame belch as much of the immediate vicinity and then follow up with a frag grenade to get back armor 

So far, TOG1 has a very Final Doom-esque feel to it, which I suppose is fitting given that TOG2 is apparently supposed to be the end of the arc that started in D2016.

Plus, while I have yet to get past the second level, UAC Atlantica Facility feels very much like a TNT tribute and the Blood Swamps feels very much like an homage to Plutonia complete with the “otherworldly jungle” aesthetic.

Additionally, I’d like to paraphrase something from Civvie when he did Sigil: “there is a very distinct difference between incompetent design and deliberate treachery, and the latter is especially devious when it’s inspired by the hubris of the many”. And yeah, that pretty much sums up TOG so far.

6 hours ago, scalliano said:

I want my Heat Blast back.

They never took it from you? I kept using it I just switched for the Spirit fights?

2 hours ago, Liquid Ink said:

They never took it from you? I kept using it I just switched for the Spirit fights?

I need the ammo for the Microwave Beam. Problem is that once the Spirit is introduced, you're pretty much guaranteed that she's gonna show up in every single arena from then on.

In fact, every new enemy type seems to have been explicitly designed to counter any and all combat tactics that were even remotely effective in the OG campaign. I get that it's a mission pack and it's supposed to be tougher than the main game, but some of the design choices are, to put it as mildly as I can, FUCKING OBNOXIOUS. Ironically, the dual Marauder fight was shit-easy, but once I hit the Blood Swamps there wasn't a single encounter that wasn't cheap, infuriating and anti-fun. The game gives you all of the upgrades from the start and spends the rest of the expansion regretting it as places you in situations that either discourage or flat-out deny the use of certain abilities, such as, oh I dunno... the ability to actually move. I almost quit outright when I saw a Buff Totem inside a cage in a room lined with those pustule things only for a Marauder to teleport in. The toxic fog started out as an interesting gimmick, but massively outstayed its welcome. The boss fight with the cubes cemented my disdain - constantly dealing with Pinkies and Hell Knights while hoping that you're facing the right direction to get a shot off when the cubes open up, and when they do their projectiles not only have splash damage, but slow you down to less than a crawl for what feels like several eternities and dashing doesn't cancel it out. Then you have to deal with two of them at once. Get fucked, game. Seriously.

I haven't even started the Holt yet and I'm reluctant to put myself through it because I don't think it's worth risking a blood clot. They really overstepped the mark this time. I've beaten Cuphead several times and this blows it out of the water in terms of bullshit. As such, I fear for Part 2. They even got rid of the Prowler armour fountain exploit FFS.

Ok, so I finished the rest of the way through, and let’s just say that the entirety of the Holt is where I started to see red (though the final trial of Maligog pretty much acted as a prelude for the pain that was to follow since I already got my ass kicked dozens of times there):

• First off, the Blood Maykrs. I mean, what if a Maykr Drone and a Marauder decided to have a baby that was spawned out of hate-fucking, and said baby was somehow even more hateful? And not only that, it seems like only the Precision Bolt or the Sticky Bomb seem to do the headshot trick, as I tried to do the SSG headshot trick that usually works on Maykr Drones only for that to backfire hilariously. Not only that, I’ve come to seriously think that the only reason they’re classed as Heavy Demons and not Super Heavy Demons is so that you’ll basically have to fight like 9-10 of them in a combat encounter (if not at the exact same time). Just to illustrate this in one point, I literally died dozens if not about a hundred times in that Slayer Gate encounter because the Blood Maykr/Maykr Drone tag-team combo ensured that I wasn’t getting out of there with my dignity (or my sanity) intact.
  • Ok, so the whole Spirit thing isn’t quite as bad as most people are making it out to be, and no, you don’t necessarily have to sacrifice Heat Blast either. It’s more of a matter of knowing ahead of time when you’re about to fight a possessed demon and strategizing on how best to eliminate all potential possession targets before going in for the kill. Besides, the whole thing beyond the Microwave Beam is maintaining a line of light so as long as you’re fixed on the target, you’re still free to dash around however you please. That being said, the Spirit phases of the Samur fight and the possessed Tyrant were beyond fucking infuriating and I was about this close to lowering the difficulty because of the sheer treachery involved (to the point where I seriously now have a hard time understanding just how people are able to finish UNM with all that involved considering how it would be next to impossible). And keep in mind, not only I was playing on Nightmare, I got through about 80-90% of the Blood Swamps without much difficulty as well as go through entire swaths of the base game without even so much as getting hit (in Nightmare difficulty).
  • Speaking of Samur, let’s just say that he makes the Khan Maykr, the Icon of Sin, and even the Gladiator all look like a bunch of chumps. Barring the Spirit phases, he can tank heavy missile barrages like the Icon or Gladiator while being even harder to hit than the Khan Maykr due to his sheer speed.

So yeah, I think we’ve officially reached Beyond Plutonia Hours of sheer difficulty the minute you offer your blood sacrifice to Maligog (whereas the base game might reach the point of Real Plutonia Hours at a few points).

Anyone who said that Doom Eternal is too hard is going to be crying like a baby when they get to this.

Civvie said that playing Plutonia is like being trapped inside a wicker man, but The Ancient Gods Part 1 is like being a victim of the blood eagle execution method and being left out in the hot sun to die a slow and agonizing death.

EDIT: Is it just me, or was David Levy the actual first choice to replace Mick? I ask because it seems like Andrew Hulshult seems to like make it into like about one track and feels more like a guest composer more than anything, whereas David’s music is the one doing all the heavy lifting.

Edited by Man of Doom