• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Endless's WAD Reviews - DBP22: Biotech is Godzilla

Good Morning Phobos (2017)

By @sincity2100

ix42qVH.jpg

One-man-megawad works are something of a legend status now a days. Requiring both a load of patience as well as some really solid skills to make it work with the current standards for Doom mapping, meaning that either you know what you’re getting into or else you’ll have quite the tumultuous road. Is no secret that making a megawad is hard, yet, even harder if you’re doing it alone. Even so, every once in a while, some mad mapper decides that he’s or she’s going to get into such mission and manages to successfully deliver more than 30 maps of a solid gameplay and fantastic design. Well, @sincity2100 released this beast back in 2015 and fully uploaded a finished version to /idgames on 2017. So, it got the numbers, but does it have the skills? We’re about to find out.

Creating 33 full fledged maps is no easy task, specially if you’re aiming at putting them all together in a single megawad, which means that are going to need consistency, relevancy and a settled design philosophy that synergizes well alongside your entire design. Good Morning Phobos manages just that with quite the extra sweet touches. Visually, each single map is very, very good, like seriously good and quite fascinating from beginning to end. A solid level design plus some impressive visuals make the entirety of this megawad a worthy contender for modern standards. It is quite deliberate when showcasing its inspirations, that being the well-known TNT: Evilution (With a Ty Halderman tribute on MAP32) and some bits and pieces of both the original Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, with one secret map that breaths Plutonia, arch-viles and chaingunners included. As for texture work, overall presentation and even MIDI usage, this megawad gets it right with high regards.

I have to highlight two things that made this more enjoyable than I was expecting: First, some maps are huge, quite big if I may say, yet in their gigantic dimensions there’s always variety, diversity in each encounter and fascinating consistency that lies upon the great texture usage and detail attention. Second, the great progression, and that one is very important for someone like me that gets extremely frustrated if I get stuck for more than 1 single minute. No map feels lost and every single road takes you to somewhere that’s essential for reaching the exit. Even in big maps where there’s as many rooms and paths as demons, still is very hard to actually get lost and not find the way to reach victory. While this may sound like the maps are linear in design (the early ones are), these maps have mor depth and make use of a fascinating layout that excels at pathfinding and encourages exploration.

mbPRIhv.pnghKjwwuv.pngJ0SJtfF.png

While making as much maps as you can may sound cool on paper, there’s quite the dangers that one must tackle before approaching this enterprise. One of those issues is the fact that the longer a megawad is, the more frustrating it may get. If you’ve read reviews about Scythe 2, you may find that most negative points about it tend to fall on the fact that it gets extremely hard and frustrating by the last levels. A valid, fair point. Well, Good Morning Phobos follows a similar but not exactly equal path. Following a very defined difficulty curve, the first ten or so maps are equally matched when it comes to their difficulty. Definitely way superior than the original IWADs and probably on a level of TNT: Evilution difficulty. Yet, the more we progress the difficulty also keeps scaling even more and reaches quite the high spikes. While the challenge on itself is not the issue, is the way that it’s introduced that tingles my back a little bit. Not in a good way. A big spam of heavy tier enemies and specially the annoying kind. This been: Revenants (I may be a bit biased since I naturally hate them), Lost Souls and Pain-Elementals. While these enemies are not bad on their own, heck, no Doom demon is truly bad in that sense, it’s the over usage of a massive quantity that makes the progression feel like a sludge at times. Monster-closets that evolve Revs in closed spaces, more than three Pain-Elemental spawning way too much Lost Souls. My main issue itself is not the difficulty, which is, yes, quite hard, but it’s the unnecessary spam of a single type of enemy during certain encounters that make it feel artificial and not very fun to go through, which is a pity because this starts to become quite noticeable the later the maps, which are probably the best maps in their general design.

Yet, while it is quite the negative point, it doesn’t truly hurt much the overall opinion that I have about this great work. Heck, some people love getting blasted time and time again to Revs rockets. Well, here you’ll find more than enough and some truly tough fights that are going to test your ultimate skills. Ranging from an average of 200 monsters per map to a max of up to 1000 demons. There’re quite the beefy battles in here.

U57KXd7.pngzbjXzVZ.pngtMz2xq7.png

Good Morning Phobos is an incredibly solid effort of a megawad, a successful effort that is. 33 total maps that range from your simple tech-base styled theme to some more unique and abstract layouts that are as expansive as brutal. Probably my biggest highlight goes towards MAP:32, one of the secret maps and one of the coolest maps I have ever played in my short career. In one way or another, @sincity2100 nailed it.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

DBP12: Into the Storm (2019)

By the Doomer Boards Community

7Pj4PyE.jpg

Oh boy, we’re back in the business and the Doomer Boards Project are here. The monthly mapping event keeps amazing me every single time and this is no exception; a beautiful, blue-ish map set that delivers some really well-done and awesome looking gothic styled levels that range as much in layout as in style. Into the Storm is the perfect name for something that evokes an overall feeling of fantasy, new worlds and darkness above us, or in this case, blue.

sL9d3Tn.pngInto the Storm brings a gothic themed style into the table that reminds me of the previous Coffin Curse, but with a slightly different twist that makes it look like a smurf version of Heretic with that extra piece of Doom demonization to help the overall feel. Levels are blue, black and quite lovely from one point to the other, yet don’t let the theme create the idea that everything is going to be either gothic or blue, this is just the base of a cake that’s deliciously good with many flavors to taste. As you might expect, this project packs some really good mappers that shine graciously with their fabulous versality and design philosophies. I, for one, welcome @Big Ol Billy with his single, solid contribution ala Castlevania/Unreal and also @SuperCupcakeTactics into my list of favorite mappers ever; special shoutout to the last one for his magnificent work at MAP07, a beautifully complex yet tight map that fits right into my heart, just the kind of map I love. @Walter confetti starts this nice map set with a great and simple map that showcases perfectly well all the main quirks and themes that we are about to find. @DoomCureDave, a new one to my eyes, manages to create the biggest map in the set, one that is not only big but diverse enough to feel dynamic and fun. @glenzinho makes his presence known thanks to an abstract and quite violently blue map. @Mantistoboggan aka  @Jaxxoon R shares his fair share of talent by introducing a more traditional yet mixed map of interiors and exteriors that uphold high that gothic style. Things won’t stop there of course, @Chaingunner is here to prove that by making one cool (quite chilly) and extra short map that breaths Scythe style, brutally awesome. @Xyzzy01 creates one abstract map that drools blue colors and surrealist design choices. MAP09 by @SuperCupcakeTactics is probably both the most original and most silly map in the entire set, one that will make you tilt your head in confusion or laugh out loud in joy. And finally, to end this blue journey, comes the mapper @joe-ilya, taking everything from the overall theme and putting all in a single kitchen room full of demons up to the ceiling; quite the slaughter party for our last dance.

Into the Storm is as diverse as it’s unique, just like any other DBP map set. Full of some seriously solid maps with fascinating and extra fun layouts that shine thanks to the gothic/blue mix into some extra quirks that make up some well-balanced maps.

zIQg2GG.pngv4FIl2z.png7yesfh0.png

As with previous project, difficulty is one thing to take into account. These are not easy maps but aren’t necessarily extreme; as a matter of fact, they achieve the right balance with great precision and a well-done design philosophy that allows for a more liberal gameplay style that welcomes both newbie and veteran alike. No map is boring, slow or just tedious, not even the hard ones like the first map or the last map, the first one being on the likes of Thy Flesh Consumed and the last one just going full slaughter. I’m not a fan of that last style yet I still found myself having lots of fun with it.

While a completely thorough review also calls for the negative points, I really don’t have major complaints about any of the maps, until, well, comparisons start to draw. While having a very solid level design and a diversity that’s dense enough to offer some good dynamic variations, the map set on itself is a little bit behind compared to other projects. Which, let’s be honest, is not a truly bad point since we are talking about a proper map set that carries its own weight with good measure. While not my favorite (Funny enough, MAP07 is probably one of my favorites of the entire series), I did enjoy the gameplay and design quite a lot in every single map and didn’t found anything that truly made me scratch my head or clench my butt.

And so, the story goes on; The Doomer Boards Project exists and I smile big. No project so far has left any bad taste in my mouth, on the contrary, I feel like each single one of them is a truly exotic and delicious meal that deserves its own plate. Into the Storm is one blue-tinted gothic-flavored work that while carrying some simplicity along its complete panorama, still achieves some great qualities be just being good fun and good work. Into the Storm of the entire DBP series, I welcome thy thunder.

» Full review «

I have to admit, I don't remember DBP12 at all. Looking at those screenshots, I'm not even certain I played it... Still, nice to see the krew get another glowing review in another of it's many configurations!

Well this is quite the surprise! Thanks for the short-and-sweet review for my short-and-sweet map, Endless!

Fun fact for those who don't already know or didn't peruse Doomer Boards at the time of this entry's development, my map was designed primarily for the Nightmare! skill level, a "pilot episode" of sorts to long-abandoned project of mine. The actual UV is HMP c:

And thinking that my map wasn't really that highly appreciated at the time iirc because it was too gimmicky (it's all based upon the No Health restriction, with only a secret health in easy skill!) Thanks for the review, is a very good mapset indeed! I really enjoyed the Good Morning Phobos review too, i played it until... MAP15, maybe, but is a very solid megawad.

8 hours ago, Phobus said:

I have to admit, I don't remember DBP12 at all. Looking at those screenshots, I'm not even certain I played it... Still, nice to see the krew get another glowing review in another of it's many configurations!

It does seem to fall into the category of more ''obscure and underrated'' works. But! As usual, it's pretty goood.

8 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Well this is quite the surprise! Thanks for the short-and-sweet review for my short-and-sweet map, Endless!

Fun fact for those who don't already know or didn't peruse Doomer Boards at the time of this entry's development, my map was designed primarily for the Nightmare! skill level, a "pilot episode" of sorts to long-abandoned project of mine. The actual UV is HMP c:

I had some feeling that some kind of special balance had been put on the map, after all the fast design and the low amount of enemies seem to approach Nightmare! A good surprise knowing that now.

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

And thinking that my map wasn't really that highly appreciated at the time iirc because it was too gimmicky (it's all based upon the No Health restriction, with only a secret health in easy skill!) Thanks for the review, is a very good mapset indeed! I really enjoyed the Good Morning Phobos review too, i played it until... MAP15, maybe, but is a very solid megawad.

Really? While I do gotta admit it's quite the punch for a first level, I did found myself enjoying it quite a lot, mostly because of the nice introduction to the visuals and the general, blue-gothic theme.

And thanks for that! Glad you liked my GMP review! I think it is a somewhat underrated and unknown megawad, which despite being somewhat hard-ish in the late levels, presents an interesting set of factors, especially taking into account that it was made by a person.

DBP13: Alien Bastards! (2019)

ZJRxuAO.jpg

Do you know those old, very old sci-if movies from back in the day? Way back in the day during the 50s or even 60s, heck, some even reached the 70s. Yeah, I’m talking about those goofy sci-fi flicks where everything looked either too colorful or too comedic. If one movie managed to parody the entire art style of that era, that movie is Spaceballs, and if you’ve seen Spaceballs then I can tell you that you already have a good idea about the overall visual theme of this awesome project. Laser guns, aliens dressed as humans, goofy looking one-eyed monsters and some other sweets for our enjoyment.

By this point, the DBP’s have demonstrated with great quality how they can just re-create already existing concepts into Doom by taking inspiration from different sources of well-known pop-culture or even some more obscure sources. Heck, even some original concepts too. Now, Alien Bastards! Is pretty damn bold when it comes to its presentation; simple and more than colorful enough, you’re now entering a forgotten era of sci-fi clichés and some really funny stuff for all the family. For starters, Doomguy skin is now replaced with an Aliens marine, making us look both cool yet pretty damn iconic. Some other interesting stuff we’ll find is the various new re-skins for the demons, as well as some cool new monsters; a flying jetpack alien that shoots with about half the speed of a chaingunner but can snipe us from afar; or a new re-iteration of the Cacodemon, but now as a static demon that constantly shoots Lost Souls at us, which, by the way, now look like flying meatballs with a big mouth. Just lovely stuff.

With 8 total maps and 2 extra maps that serve as bonus goodies, this project has bFFpdMV.pnga decent size but rewards it with excellent enjoyment and diversity thanks to its simple but attractive visual theme. Once again, as expected, @Big Ol Billy returns to lead the project and delivers several new maps with solid consistency. MAP01 and MAP02, both created by the leader, work as a good example of the ones we will find and small adventures that prepare us for the rest of the map-set. The first map has a somewhat claustrophobic style which I feel combines quite well with the general visual style, evoking an almost Alien-like atmosphere. The second map expands to show us a little more action and good adventure. @Walter confetti MAP03 takes us to a darker, tighter side of this adventure, delivering a style reminiscent of hellish corruption through the use of spaceship textures combined with Giger-style textures, in all their alien glory. Following this, MAP04 is again delivered by the project leader! Such consistency in numbers is rare to find. An interesting map with a hub style where we have to take 3 different teleporters to 3 different combat areas to finally get the victory. MAP05 is co-authored by both @Big Ol Billy and @DoomCureDave, the new kid in the block, both creating a map that feels so consistent that we wouldn't even know it was two heads working on it. @joe-ilya gives us MAP06, a short and quick map but with enough intensity to offer good moments and never be boring; this map works more like an intermission to the beast that follows. MAP07 by @Thundercunt (lol that name) is a majestic beast as big as it is impressive. With a step-by-step layout that feels like climbing a mountain, this map pulls everything on us while changing the subject to something darker and scarier. Definitely the most outstanding map of the project thanks to its amazing visuals and considerable challenge. Finally, we end up with MAP08 by @glenzinho, a large map that takes us through different areas in different rooms and corridors where rescuing human life can be a challenge as balanced as it is fun. While I think this is a fun map with a dynamic progress, I still think the finisher should have been MAP07, but still, more than satisfied with all the authors and their fantastic creations.

mpEVxH5.pngrTwyfQv.pngY8gWUml.png

Of course, these are the formal maps of the project, but we also have two extra maps that work as the closing clip. MAP09 is a short but sweet map-credits where we can explore the authors of the team. MAP30 works as a gallery where we can find all the new assets used in Alien Bastards! Just great.

One of the new additions to the project's progression system is the inclusion of a ''rescue'' system, where we have to rescue different humans taken prisoner several times; this system replaces on some maps the collection of keys, while on others they complement each other to create a new form of gameplay that is unique and full of personality, helping to give this remarkable identity to Alien Bastards! Whoever came up with the idea, it's great. Maybe it's been done before? Anyway, I liked it.

This project is played with hot butter. Simple, modest in terms of the number of enemies it throws at us (kinda) but always offering a challenge that will not let us sleep and can entertain us for a long time. Most of the maps are finished quickly and each one is memorable, entertaining and with a different style to each one, delivering as much personality as originality. The new texture set, as colorful as it is morbid, gives us a fascinating new look to what we are already used to, offering a new journey through a fast adventure rollercoaster.

Dc8ssI6.pngAlthough the addition of new assets is as much fun as it is welcome, a bit of inconsistency in the textures makes it a bit difficult to find the buttons from time to time. I had several encounters where I got stuck, not because of the level layout, but because I couldn't see the textures of the buttons many times. This is, honestly, a minor problem that is really just an itch rather than a real complaint, because after that I have nothing bad to say about this map-set. It's fun, it's original, it's simple and it's sci-fi, what more do we want? Well, I know what I want: More DBP, baby!

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

8 hours ago, Endless said:

If one movie managed to parody the entire art style of that era, that movie is Spaceballs

Spaceballs? A much better example is Tim Burton's Mars Attack! or Evolution with David Duchovny... Even Indipendence Day is a better homage than Spaceballs for 50s / 60s sci-fi b-movies lol

Anyway, charming review for a charming mapset as always even if you don't find all the tributes this mapset have.

For starters the wacky "Aliens" Marine that replaces the doomguy is the main Character from the Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry game as well as the rest of the mapset is inspired by that game and 90s DOS platform in general. My map is heavily inspired by Duke Nukem 3D Incubator level, my most favorite level from that game

Thanks so much for reviewing Good Morning Phobos. One-man megawads are endlessly fascinating to me and somehow I'd never heard of that one. I'm currently on MAP08 and enjoying it immensely.

6 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Spaceballs? A much better example is Tim Burton's Mars Attack! or Evolution with David Duchovny... Even Indipendence Day is a better homage than Spaceballs for 50s / 60s sci-fi b-movies lol

Anyway, charming review for a charming mapset as always even if you don't find all the tributes this mapset have.

For starters the wacky "Aliens" Marine that replaces the doomguy is the main Character from the Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry game as well as the rest of the mapset is inspired by that game and 90s DOS platform in general. My map is heavily inspired by Duke Nukem 3D Incubator level, my most favorite level from that game

I haven't watched Mars Attack nor Evolution :( Looks like I got a lot of movie-catching-up. Thanks for the fun facts! I really enjoyed the overall art style of this map-set, and if somebody catches all the references then I'm pretty sure that person is going to have an even better time.

6 hours ago, Krenium said:

Thanks so much for reviewing Good Morning Phobos. One-man megawads are endlessly fascinating to me and somehow I'd never heard of that one. I'm currently on MAP08 and enjoying it immensely.

Thanks to you for reading me. Indeed, one-man megawads are a fascinating subject. Glad you're having fun with it!

DBP14: After the Fall (2019)

uGyabc5.jpg

Yup, my task to finish the entire DBP archive continues!

Hell has won. Demons have overrun us. The lords of fire left us with nothing but an empty carcass, a recollection of long-lost memories. In the mist of battle, only one can stand against the remnants of hell and fight back after the fall. Sounds cool, right? This is the new apocalyptic premise of the 14th Doomer Board Project; a fight for survival amidst the bones of great abandoned cities and corrupted places. As you might expect, you’re in for a special adventure alongside Doomguy.

The visual style and theme of this new projects is one that surprisingly feels more traditional compared to the previous entry, but also showcases some really nice examples of what a simple idea can create with enough tools and artists willing to give it a spin. With a green-ish tint as the overall ambience and the style of almost everything here, along a green, apocalyptic cloudy skybox; most of the maps give this sense that everything has been abandoned and that even the fires of hell have been extinguished by the sheer slow pace of time, leaving nothing but the smoke and bones of what once was a thriving world. A sense of desolation and isolation, like living in a radioactive zone or venturing into the Zone, if you know what I mean. All maps become an amalgamation of nature taking over civilization, but only after humankind got its ass handed by the demons, so yeah, things look quite great and spooky at the same time. There’s something eerie about been in a place that once was full of life and now is full of demons, you know?

Kicking things off, we have @glenzinho , leader of this particular DBP and quite the prolific mapper around here, creating one simple MAP01 yet really unique map that introduces right away or new favorite (and annoying) enemy: The kamikaze, in all it’s Serious Sam glory. Seriously, this thing is great. After that, things get a little bit more cooled down yet embrace size over anything else, @Zedonk introduces a natural-looking MAP02 with some a nice combination of dirt, water and green textures, making something for the eyes of those that love natural landscapes, like me. @xvertigox makes a comeback by creating the first tight, traditional almost tech-base level in MAP04. Not fully tech-base only for the fact that almost everything is either abandoned, shut down or full of moss, which I dig. A lovely and more traditional styled map. @Jaxxoon R uses its forces to deliver the first big city level in MAP04; a big-looking map with a more open-world style and a theme of bricks and demons, just like we all like it. @DoomCureDave and none other than @Big Ol Billy make a fascinating comeback by delivering MAP05, the, uh, last porno shop, which is nothing short of amazing. Please don’t tell my mon I said that. Now, the project leader returns with probably the biggest and most tall map of them all, @glenzinho shows off his urban skills by creating a massive city landscape in MAP06, making it the big daddy of the entire map-set. MAP07 by also @glenzinho would be our final credits map, but it’s all an illusion of false dreams and lost whishes; a beautiful small island in the middle of nowhere, but way to silent… to quiet. Of course, the quiet offends our Doom gods, and the battle starts in the one big final map of this beautiful project; MAP08 is a grotesque recreation of the previous island but now all in red colors and fleshy textures, all while bringing one incredibly tough challenge that is sure to give some good beatings. After that, MAP09 is MAP07 but actually a final credits map. Of course, we can’t forget the secret/bonus map of this map-set; MAP10 by both @Zedonk and @joe-ilya is one big city level with the highest altitude among all. Some good balancing skills and quite the trigger discipline is going to be needed in what’s probably the hardest map along MAP08. One tough challenge I tell you.

KSndPRP.pngxrlJeYU.pngeTjV0As.png

JiBsu65.pngLike pretty much the entire Doomer Boards Projects archive, the quality is all around solid and extremely consistent among every single map. No slow, no ugly or just plain boring maps. Every level brings something different and unique that adds more flavor to the already delicious plate. From small, tight maps with intense combat to some really big exploration adventures among the rubble of a lost civilization. After the Fall is no easy job either; while the maps tend to have their aim towards a grandiose setting, so does the overall difficulty. Heck, MAP01 already kicks things off with quite the good punch thanks to the abuse of kamikazes and some hidden traps. Some maps here can be truly challenging, specially one elevator section in the bonus map where I got killed several times. Nonetheless, if a challenge is what you want, you’ll get it quite good here, if not, just lower a bit the difficulty and things should go sailing smoothly. Mostly.

After the Fall also brings a really good and metal set of MIDI tracks, something that, ironically, is not that common among modern WAD releases. Bands like Metallica, Rammstein, Muse and Tool make an appearance with some rocking tunes to blast demons to the heavens. While an original soundtrack is always welcomed, the usage of legendary metal and rock tracks also helps a lot bring the apocalyptic mood of destruction and desolation to the max.

pahqjZR.pngOnce again, I can just say good things about this beautiful project. By this point everyone that reads me can easily understand that I just love the variation of theme and the originality of each project; always bring something interesting and fresh to the table that makes me gush all over it. I really don’t have any negative points about this fantastic piece. Simple, big and violent. After the Fall is what happens when you get some really good Doom mappers into a more prophet of the end-of-the-world mood and they just start mapping the future, and I love it.

» Full review «

Thanks for the review @Endless , it's greatly appreciated : )

Entertaining and fair is what I was aiming for with my ending to map02 so it's encouraging you used those words : D

Edited by Zedonk

3 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Nice review, but if I recall correctly, DBP14 didn't have difficulty settings implemented. I could be mistaken though. I'll test this later :)

Well, the /idgames .txt says:

''Difficulty Settings: Yes (mostly, but focused on skill 4)''

So that's a big improvement for previous DBP's that don't even have skill balance :P

2 hours ago, Zedonk said:

Thanks for the review @Endless , it's greatly appreciated : )

Entertaining and fair is what I was aiming for with my ending to map02 so it's encouraging you used those words : D

Thanks mate! Glad you've enjoyed my review. I really dig your map, I'm a big fan of ''landscaping'' in Doom WADs ;)

1 hour ago, Endless said:

Well, the /idgames .txt says:

So that's a big improvement for previous DBP's that don't even have skill balance :P

Hm, strange. The discussion page on TDB seems to insinuate they weren't implemented. I'm probably just missing some details.

Maybe the kind @Zedonk can shed some light on this?

Either way, it's one of my favorite DPBs. I absolutely love the aesthetic and art style. Great review :)

EDIT: Okay, I think I understand now. I think it's just that certain individual maps don't have any changes in terms of difficulty settings.

20201126_083808.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Either way, it's one of my favorite DPBs. Great review :)

Glad to hear it : D

Skill settings aren't normally considered essential for the DBPs though I guess most mappers will probably try to implement them if there is enough time (which there wasn't for me.)

Halls of the Goat Child (2020)

By @Remilia Scarlet

FzMmhna.png

Who would have thought that 2020 would also bring none other than the eldritch-horror mapper herself, Remilia, back in action? Things come and go and weird stuff happens all the time, but when it comes to Doom WADs in all beautiful Lovecraft style, no one does it like she does, and here’s one of the reasons why.

Halls of the Goat Child is a single-level WAD that comes in 2 different versions, one for GZDoom and one for Doomsday Engine, its true version. Inspired by the likes of Lovecraftian art style and cosmic horror, bringing some nice GZDoom tricks into the table that elevate every single visual aspect of this WAD into amazing levels of ambient and detail. A wonder since the get go, you’ll probably stay a while just to admire some of the nice areas and rooms that this map offers, all while at the same time some demons tail your every-step until violent combat comes around.

Things kick off with quite the scenic room. A dead corpse right at our feet and a shotgun pointing towards some tempting Imps. One would wonder, what should I do in this situation? Well, there’s only once answer and one answer only. Fight. And there’s quite the fight here. Going on in Ultra-Violence, you should be careful with the enemies you target and how much ammo you spend. While there’s plenty of it around, is not dropping from the sky either. Over 100 demons and some good traps make up for some intense combat in different scenarios. A good level design that manages to combine well-done enemy positioning already deserves a spotlight in my book. After all, the best fun you can have while playing Doom is when the map that you’re playing offers a good, balanced and violent challenge. Halls of the Goat Child has that going, and pretty damn good.

JkbqyIM.pngveY98lE.pngfDKm8hl.png

Visually speaking, what can you expect from the spiritual successor to the previous awesome Lovecraftian inspired WAD, Shadows of the Nightmare Realm? While not a true sequel in that sense, Halls of the Goat Child still shares the same aesthetics and a similar story on its awesome text screen at the beginning of the map. One thing we have to take in mind is that this is a semi-speedmap, with of course, a small size in comparison to other maps by the same author. This shouldn’t be a major concern, because what defines a good map is not size, but a combination of different aspects that make it shine with a beautiful identity of fascinating styles. Halls of the Goat Child delivers more than enough. A foggy atmosphere, dark and hot scenarios, tight rooms with lava falls.

While, admittedly, the GZDoom version loses some of its visual fidelity, coming with some lightning bugs, I still can say with certainty that the true essence of the maps still remains thanks to the primordial settings of its features; lightning still looks great; level design is fantastic; combat is tight and well-balanced and the music sets a perfect ambience for you to enjoy. While the Doomsday version is the ideal one, don’t let that stop you from trying this on GZDoom like I did.

D1w3J1i.pngsHc80yi.png

So, should you play this map? Well, duh. Of course, you should. Coming with a well stylized visual theme that embraces darkness and a moody setting, along a tight and progressive layout that tests your awareness and movement skills, Halls of the Goat child is not only a small, pretty-looking level, but also one very fun and fantastic semi-speedmap that deserves all your time, which shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes, max. My only advice is, don’t mess with eldritch gods and be careful when reaching the ending, there’s quite the surprise.

OmxC37C.png

» Full review «

Edited by Endless : Corrections.

DBP07: The Merry Christmassy Doom Project (2018)

n9IpBKH.jpg

Fun fact: Made this review at 5:00 am. Couln't sleep, yet WADs where there for me!

Oh-oh, the sound of bells tinkles in the living room, snow falls from the sky (if you live up north) and the smell of newly made cookies hijacks all your senses. It is that time of the year again, the time of presents and a wholesome spirit! Well, actually, no. Is almost Xmas, but not quite there, yet here I am, making a review for a project that I played during summer but I can now speak properly about, because what’s December if not the best month to do anything related to Xmas? Even better, Doom Xmas!

As nature of the Doomer Boards Projects, an essential themed was selected for the creation of each single map, and this time around they came up with their first ever Christmas themed project. An instantaneous classic thanks to the simple yet very effective novelty of its map theme. Winter, snow, presents, red lights, red balls, shotguns, demons, rocket launchers and anything else you might wish for Christmas. Even with a very low quantity of only 6 maps, the DBP07 is one solid and fantastical piece of mapping history that definitely deserves to be remembered in those cold, winter mornings that predate the one true Christmas eve.

Doom mapper Rockstar @Big Ol Billy makes the introduction to this map by creating MAP01, the first entry and one solidly fantastical snow show. Here we also get an immediate taste of the new cool looking textures, the new skins for each spoopy demon and some of other cool-looking Xmas assets like items and other things. For MAP02, we got quite the beautifully crafted and well-knitted present by the prolific DBP contributor, @SuperCupcakeTactics. Things don’t slow down and our next contender is @Jaxxoon R , delivering the first true big-chunky map of this set; as violent and snowy as you can expect thanks to a hellish fortress that seems to be making Santa (or Satan?) have some trouble. MAP04 brings the first big combat arena and the biggest size to the table, all thanks to the efforts of @glenzinho and once again, our boy @Jaxxoon R . For the final present of this fine eve, @Big Ol Billy shows true power and violence by delivering a brutalist combat arena that does not forgive but one mistake. Big, circular, fast and really hazardous, this is quite the closer.

As to when it comes to how this WAD looks, we just got to look at the early screenshots and we’ll get a pretty damn good preview as to what’s to come. Expects lots of snow and lots of hats. With as many new assets as possible while still retaining a good vanilla-ish spirit in hand, the Merry Christmassy Doom Project (that’s a long name) looks and feels as good as freshly baked cooky. Add some milk and it’s perfect for a cold, winter night. With visually beautiful yet modest-enough levels and some well-balanced layouts that offer a good non-stop progression, each and every map feels and looks like an excellent Christmas carol, if that makes sense. Anyhow. If you’re looking for something that looks even more Christmassy than the Grinch movie, look no more, here it is.

AqJBhG8.pngEGoW4Zx.png

The 7th DBP, despite being made under the wholesome and sweet spirit of Xmas, is no pushover when it comes to it’s gameplay and difficulty. One of the few faults of the DBPs (the early ones, that is) is the lack of a proper difficulty balance, which might be a bit detrimental when it comes to the wide range of players that the community has. Thus, this project kick ass quite well. So, while the difficulty I played with was the standard HMP, the whole map-set truly felt way above that. Since the first map we’ll notice quickly that there’s not going to be any respite for us, but things do get even harder with the latter maps. While in a way, this also some overexaggerating, I still believe that this is one tough project, even for early DBP standards, with probably one of the hardest closer-maps ever done in a Doomer Board Project. Still, despite the lack of a proper range of skill levels balancing, each map offers more than enough items, enemy positioning and level design synergy to feel properly fair and still manageable. With the exception of the last map, the rest shouldn’t take us that much time or tries. Kindly hard, to say the least.

What we have here is a classic attempt to recreate the Christmas spirit in a game that is the opposite of Christmas. Shocking, I know. But, despite that, thanks to the inclusion of new assets such as textures, skins, items and others, this set of maps manages to fantastically establish a solid ground to deliver 6 great maps, which despite being a little more difficult than the average, they deliver us with enthusiasm a solid hour of pure cold winter Christmas entertainment. Hell freezes over, the party starts. A special shout to the saviors of this project (according to the DB) @Big Ol Billy and @Jaxxoon R. Two mad lads that to this day, I see their names popping up in the DBPs and think to myself: What a time to be alive.

0B9pLdU.png

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

Good timing @Endless! DBP19, the second Christmas project (and a personal fave, btw) is on its way through the idgames approval process and should show up there any day, so there's gonna be a lot of Doomy Christmas cheer happening this month. And of course stay tuned for something new dropping Christmas Eve ;)

3 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Good timing @Endless! DBP19, the second Christmas project (and a personal fave, btw) is on its way through the idgames approval process and should show up there any day, so there's gonna be a lot of Doomy Christmas cheer happening this month. And of course stay tuned for something new dropping Christmas Eve ;)

I have my butt clenched waiting for what you guys will pull out ;) Making my way slowly but surely to get all those sweet projects-sesss!

NiGHTMARE Speedmapping Compilation #1 (2002)

By various authors

KZ7mkKk.jpg

Oh, the early 2000s, a mixture of 90s mapping classic style and the renaissance of modern features and special witchcraft to create fantastic yet still amateurish visual effects and so on. An era that spammed as great WADs as mixed ones, mostly to the fact that it was part of the learning curve that we enjoy so much now. Yet, even in those times, we still have some interesting projects that aren’t as well-known as some others. NiGHTMARE Speedmapping Compilation #1 is probably one of those projects. And obscure and nearly (or clearly) forgotten piece of our community that showcases some interesting yet genuinely charming aspects of the early days. Well, no that early.

The NSC1 is a speedmapping set that brings some names not so-well-known and others much well-known, like Erik Alm himself, a legend that needs no introduction and that did actually start from the ground up until building what is now an immortal legacy. Probably the main reason that I decided to try this WAD out. Other than that, you should come in expecting quite the low standards for two main reasons: Each mapper only had about 100 minutes to make a map and well, it is an early Doom WAD (late early, if that makes sense) so there’s still some classic issues that you may encounter.

9t8Dwry.pngVisually, it is as you might expect; very crude, almost too raw in some cases but it does bring quite the nostalgic effects that do stand out just for the cheer novelty of it. The general theme is that each mapper had to make a snowy map, even if that only means to put a white texture floor on the outsides. Most of the maps are mostly that; a starting exterior area and the rest of it is just tech-bases and so on. Nothing really outstanding that would make you scream in excitement, just plain old vanilla/classic speedmapping in its pure, amateur form.

Surely, something must be good here, right? You may ask. Well, yes there’s some good, but I first have to make the small disclaimer that this is not necessarily a terrible WAD, maybe a bit mediocre from time to time, but it does have its moments and it is quite the interesting historic piece of our community. MAP01 by Nick Baker, who would later become quite the prolific mapper and skilled graphics/texture maker, is probably the best thanks to its simple yet effective layout that conveys a nostalgic feel for the reason that it uses some classic examples of old-school level design and one nicely done area with snow that captured my attention. Some other decent maps are MAP04 by Joseph L. Pallai, a veteran of the days of yore that still contributes with to some community projects from time to time, and MAP05 by none other than Fredrik Johansson, the skilled mapper that brought us the amazing Vrack series and also created the one and only holy Doomwiki. Praised be he. And, of course, we have Erik Alm, making MAP02, which is, surprisingly, not very good. Yet, this map stands out for two reasons: First, it could be said that is a proto-map of what would become Alm’s style, and second, it is hard but in a good, almost balanced way, showcasing some good enemy positioning and precise item provision. Maonth aka Shaviro aka Jacob Kruse, a now Doom 3 modder and one of the lead designers of Doom 3: Phobos, delivers the last map, which starts well but goes on a mixed status later. Fun fact: MAP06 doesn’t really stand out, but his author, Andrew Bassett (AndrewB) was quite the prolific /newstuff reviewer and a skilled DM player that was there during the early days of Doomworld, becoming a Super Moderator and being also judge of the famous 10 Sectors competition.

7e8FdtV.pngiUC5vZp.png

More than a decent to mediocre mapping project, I think this is more than that. It’s the first step that would give rise to the evolution of some great mappers and Doom fans. This, here, is not necessarily a good recommendation, but see it more as a WAD study, a small piece of history that showcases the one and only true fact of everything: The great ones also started small. Mistakes were made, but corrections were done and improvement was achieved. Isn’t that what we would call a romantic story? I think it is.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

DBP08: MINDBLOOD GENESIS (2019)

Trt6I7m.jpg

The lust for blood is strong in this one. A dark spiral going down and down into a world of sheer madness, rust and a bit of violence. This time, the crew brought together something that is truly unique in setting yet more so in presentation. Purposely designed to evoke a feeling of perversion and deterioration, MINDBLOOD GENESIS is as extravagant as fantastically fun as a DBP can get. One of the very first projects to shine quite the violent way, leaving a side for a moment the goofy style and concentrating on something more drastically yet still grounded enough to prosper in a good visual and gameplay balance. This is the genesis of a new mind blood… if that makes sense.

As you might expect, we’ll find some really nice and interesting new niches in this fantastical set of 9 total maps than range from different styles, level designs and difficulty and some new, obscure themes that we really don’t see every day. Describing this set is a little bit harder than expected. You see, it truly shines by quite the unexpected characteristic: It’s ugly. But in a deliberate sense. Each map looks like a mutation upon another map, a corruption or a cancer if you will. Like a flow of flesh and blood that brakes concrete and mutates grass, rusting away all metal and eating all color, leaving behind nothing bus chaos, disruption and entropy. Some maps feel like plowing through a Silent Hill styled concept, challenge included. Other maps follow a more traditional yet always consistent style that manages to create a fantastic flow of sheer fun and perversion. Is just a ride through your day-to-day nightmarish hell. A doomed hell.

Now we get into the true juice; MAP01 is a nicely done submersion into this pit of blood and darkness, legendary @Big Ol Billy is, once again, part of the team and in charge of making this introduction. MAP02, also by him, works as a direct sequel in style to the lovely first map, but this time taking quite the literal jump inside a world of nightmares and an extremely horrific map that successfully recreates a feeling of dread and perdition, ala Silent Hill Otherworld. Both maps give quite the extra punch when it comes to difficulty, offering a nice yet hot challenge for all doomers. MAP03, done by @SuperCupcakeTactics, is one amazingly tight adventure through corridors filled with demons and marked by the pacing of time and archaic designs. Feels like a badly stacked puzzle that somehow manages to look gorgeous and play great. @Big Ol Billy is a mapping machine and delivers quite the frantic and violent circular MAP04, a dark and rocky level that killed more than once. MAP05 by @Xyzzy01 is quite the interesting set. Small yet evolving, with a horde-based combat that will kick your ass nearing the end. MPA06, once again, @Big Ol Billy (Someone, stop this man) delivers probably the difficulty-wise magnum opus of this set. A magnificent, sadistic and exquisite spiral-like map that evolves slowly into a big beast of absolute carnage. All in a single arena of pain and quite the intelligent level design and enemy positioning, creating some awesome gameplay. @SuperCupcakeTactics delivers MAP07, another map that feels on the same level as MAP03, making use of a disjointed design that evokes pure chaos and madness. Who would have thought that entropy looks so good? MAP08, by the same author, on the other hand, is quite the unique yet more traditionally-styled level. A moving/mutable labyrinth designed to feel organic and in constant flow despite the walls. By this point, we’ve pretty much reached the end and MAP09 is, just as per tradition with the DBPs, a credits map that details authors and other cool stuff, but this time there’s a bit of action in this one, which is quite welcoming for a credits map.

PcJuLHG.pngagpaWZi.png

You might be wondering if this map-set also brings the famous challenge that the DBPs are quite known for (apart from the other, more relevant stuff) and the answer to that question is: yes, this map-set is quite hard for even veteran doomers. Some maps truly play like a waltz of death (MAP06, MAP03, MAP08) while others play out in a more tactical yet badass style (MAP09, MAP01, MAP02). Always finding the right balance between enemies, items and the level design, creating a fanciful synergy that delivers some of the best gameplay featured in any of the early DBPs. That’s quite the legacy, may I say.

MINBLOOD GENESIS (yes, with caps) is one the earliest examples of the collective creative mind of the Doomer Boards Krew working together like a beautiful hive-mind to deliver an absolute classic of a hydra map-set. So many heads yet all working together in synergy and balance, like a true beast that deserves its legendary status. The 8th entry in the series is one that shines for this. Achieving such a nicely-done style that actually goes against most of the tradition and norm, yet always retaining absolutely bonkers quality by careful map design, attention to detail and a well-balanced challenge that its as fun as bloody. Bloody hell, it is bloody.

Without a doubt, one of my favorite DBPs for its fantastical visual theme and incredible maps that all share different qualities that make them stand out in a gloriously fun challenge of speed, skill and every once in a while, a bit of luck. No map stalls behind in no moment, and without a doubt, every single minute is absolutely worth its weight in gold. This was the genesis of a new era, one that was marked by the blood of the mind, one that was plastered in legend in the prophecy of a new moon. Like a beautiful nightmare, we can’t just forget this piece of art.

8uWN8gu.png

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

Thank you very much for the review @Endless and for of course experiencing the absolute must-play that is MINDBLOOD GENESIS!

The blood you harvested in your campaign of relentless carnage serves well to fill the concrete valleys that nourish the monolithic tombstones of civilizations damned and forever doomed. The deformed morgues you filled are packed with demonic fuel that endlessly burns contorting beacons of blazing fire. Incubators of fleshy roots grow to follow the will of the bloodthirsty, and attracted they are the skulls of the sacrificed form a buoyant cobblestone path in your wake of glory wherever thou wilt. Your throne of badassery is wherever you want it to be. The bloodstained world reflects in the dawn of the new moon. This is how it was always meant to be. The blood will never cease to flow.

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics : Fly Me to the Moon~

DBP15: Fuck Global Warming… This Is Hell (2019)

fTmxcQj.jpg

The latest news on climate reports have indicated that there’s an increasingly high chances of the Doomer Boards crew teaming up to bring some insanely hot and spicy stuff into the table; scientist claim that the days of yore are now long gone, and a new apocalypse is coming near each day until the global warming fucks all and Earth becomes hell. Well, looks like the predictions and scientist data was right, Fuck Global Warming… This Is Hell, is here!

By this point, we can expect all kind of crazy themes coming from the crew; from simple yet aesthetically pleasing Mars themed maps to some really crazy and unique nightmarish stuff. This rime around, we got something that is also quite unique yet not as exploited as you might guess. While yes, hell on earth is a pretty common mapping theme, what if instead of the supernatural hell invasion we all know, instead, it was just a regular boring global warming induced invasion? Welp, not the coolest thing to have in real life, but in Doom? There things get spicy; it looks and plays great!

The 15th DBP comes with quite the hot, literally hot, themed map-set! This time around making it around the general and well-known hell invasion theme, but giving it a more sardonic twist and adding some spicy irony on top of it. The result? Fuck Global Warming… This Is Hell. A newly 8 map-set full of steam, vapor, lava, fire, weapons and some ugly demons waiting for you arrival, ready to blast you into the warm climate of this new hell.

@NaZa makes quick work of his mapping skills by delivering a punchy, short and intense map that encapsulates quite nicely the effect of hot and hard. That sounds weird. Moving on, we got MAP02 by @joe-ilya , an urban-like map with some lava feeling the place slowly but surely, giving us some really hot times around here. @glenzinho makes this arena-like map with floating structures in a lake of lava, creating a challenging yet fun experience for everyone, unless you don’t like lava. MAP04 by @Grain feels like an adventure through mysterious lands of fire and dirt, filled with some demons here and there and some decent platforming areas. MAP05 by @Redead-ITA falls into a more traditional scheme by creating a demon fortress in the middle of nowhere; some good layout and good enemy positioning work in favor of this map. If you thought that the DBP sage wouldn’t make his appearance, think again! Because @Big Ol Billy brings some heat into the map-set by delivering MAP06, a beautifully crafted and detailed adventure that takes you through lots of different combat areas and some nicely done layouts, finishing with a very satisfying zone that evokes some sense of hope and coolness in this hot, hot world. Up next, we got the heavy weights of this hot map-set, MAP07 by @AnonimVio is one huge battleground where we’ll have to be quick, fast and quite good shooters to survive. A big beast with a little bit of a frustrating combat, but still fun. Final level, MAP08 by both @joe-ilya and @xvertigox is one huge beast full of brutal combat and some nice landscapes. A mixture of traditional difficulty curves with some areas that pack quite the slaughter-ish combat; with over 600+ enemies, you might want to get your trigger finger warmed first. Shocking enough, this time around there’s no credits or resource-showcase map! Now that is quite new to see in a DBP. Not that is a bad thing, but I do like having a credits map at the end of a DBP; it always feels like a good closing point.

RxzEHEp.pngh6ELwu5.png7JWmQQu.png

As usual, we can’t just leave the gameplay part behind. While I’m a big fan of visual-priorities, I also love a well-balanced, fun and interesting gameplay that manages to make me smile. This time around, going along the visual theme of the map-set, the DBP15 also brings a very hot gameplay thanks to the use of some fun gimmicks that combine a traditional playstyle with a more unique and interesting twist. MAP01 is a good example of bringing an interesting gameplay option to the table; a small yet very challenging map that puts the odds against you by limiting your weapons and items, but giving you the edge in movement, positioning and awareness. A small number of demons vs your fist, in a very steamy first map. On the other hand of the spectrum, MAP08 is one massive beast full of demons and lava everywhere, delivering some nicely-done layouts that push you to the limit, all while having fun of course.

Difficulty wise, this map-set is a bit harder than your usual. The DBPs are not easy, that’s for sure, but here things get a bit tricky by delivering a varied yet very ground gameplay system that ranges from Thy Flesh Consumed styled encounters to some really bonkers battlegrounds. Yet, the opportunities are always there for you to take, and with a few exceptions, most of the maps are feasible with having to resort to trail-and-error. All good, all hot, all fun.

As with all DBPs, I just can’t help myself but say that this is just lots of fun, lots of good times and all in a very unique package created with care, love, violence and some madness here and there. A great team of mappers that prove time and time again that consistency is key to a great series. Fuck Global Warming… the DBPs rock!

PS: 15 (actually less) more DBPs to go. Half-way there!

» Full review «

DBP16: Cyb’s Freaky Colonoscopy (2019)

n2M8pek.jpg

There are so many things in the world of Doom that it is impossible to simply go through and select a group of examples of unique features to highlight, since we would need to go for a giant group. Sometimes we have rare and unique projects, as beautiful as they are fantastic; probably one of the first examples of such a creation was the famous Void. After that, with decades of evolution and constant improvement, we have come to have all kinds of things on our tables. Examples as fantastic as extroverted, but if there is something that could be said to be an absolutely absurd idea and at the same time incredible, then, let me tell you what this WAD is just that. Take a Cyberdemon and enter its, uh, interiors, and you'll be on an adventure as unique as it is smelly. This is Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy. One adventure that you probably won’t forget. I’m already reading your mind and I’m pretty sure, bet my ass, your first thought is: What the fuck. Welp, that works well for this map-set!

What we have here is as unique as, frankly, it is grotesque. Maybe it's the morbidity or maybe the simple nobility of bringing such a crazy project to life and making it so good at the same time, but one way or another, DBP15: Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy is a kind of rough diamond that manages to bring the most disgusting style possible and shape it into an adventure as cool as, uh, attractive yet charming by presenting such a crazy visual theme that stands out with absolute bonkers quality.

What better way to start this DBP than with the one and only prolific mapping idol: @Big Ol Billy, giving us quite the substantial set of maps with various contributions here. Starting things off we have MAP01, the perfect introduction to the visual theme of this map-set; a mixture of a UAC base/hospital and then we get right away into the Cyberdemon, uh, hole. MAP02 makes us go venture into the depths of this fantastical and pretty gross world; a combination of tech with some flesh, acid, pus and more weird stuff. MAP03 by @dmdr is an interesting twist in style by throwing us into a more progressive yet intense level. MAP04 is, probably, the puzzle map of the map-set, created by @Walter confetti , this is quite the interestingly modest level that impulses a feeling of wonder. @Big Ol Billy  makes a return with MAP05, delivering the first, truly big battleground alongside some intense combat with some interesting new quirks, like flesh turrets that shoot small Caco plasmaballs. MAP06 by @Jaxxoon R is like the previous entry, but twice the size and twice the challenge. While I did enjoy the layout, I wasn’t a big fan of the turret spam. Things get quite interesting with the timed level that is MAP07 by @xvertigox and @Zedonk. A big map where the main objective is to survive by the simple yet beautiful strategy of gun-and-run.

oCjoe8l.pngMAP08 by @dmdr, again, is quite the fantastical single-road map with an interesting King of the Hill setting. This is what I imagine what MAP30 of the original Doom 2 could have been! A great fight with a very evolving layout. MAP09 by @glenzinho  is a big and high map full of huge architecture and a well-done layout that allows for some very fast gameplay. MAP10 by @hardcore_gamer (new blood to me, or at least I’m not that familiar with) is probably among my favorite maps from this set; a beautifully set elevator level where a great battle awaits us; evolving into different areas with fantastical layouts and quite the interesting yet always explorative zones. Finally, what best way to finish than with one of the best: @Big Ol Billy brings MAP11, the final map and the biggest battle that we’ll find in this colonoscopy. A round arena with hundreds of demons and quite the fantastical challenge. Also introducing a new quirk in which we have to destroy the tumors that are causing or poor Cyb his terrible pain. Once the tumors are erased and the system is cleansed, we reach MAP12, a small credits/closing map where we’ll heal slowly but nicely.

ggqllxw.pngVrfmolu.png

No need for big explanations or lots of insightful analysis; all you need to know is pretty much set in the environmental storytelling pretty nicely. You, dear Doomer, you are inside a Cyberdemon anus. Hopefully that’s part of your dreams and not your nightmares, because one way or another you’re going to be thinking a lot about this special place in the aftermath of your WAD adventure. Welp, after all, what’s a WAD if it doesn’t make us change our point of view in life?

One must wonder, what did @Big Ol Billy smoke to get the idea for this map-set? Or hell, what’s his muse? One way or another, I think we should thank such inspiration to create this super unique, extravagant, disgusting and fun project. Probably one of the most if not the most unique project that doesn’t fall into the category of simple avant-garde bullshit, but actually playable and enjoyable WADs. Now, those are weird to come by! A weird, exotic and magical WAD that still plays, feels and looks good? Heck yeah.

Graciously looking, let’s not forget also about the gameplay! And well, short answers: Is pretty good. The introduction of new skins makes everything look so consistent as unique, as well as the introduction of the new assets that are so disturbing, they are great; a sort of Pinky demon with human facials and a brown looking flesh. I hope that’s not what I think it is. On the other hand, we now have a static enemy that plays more like an invincible turret that shoots mini-Cacodemon plasmas. While I got to admit, I’m no the biggest fan of the usage of static turrets, yet the charm still feels and plays well enough, introducing a bullet-hell style of gameplay that intensifies each encounter.

ChY7KyJ.png

Cyb’s Freaky Colonoscopy is one of the most if not the most unique DBP ever. A fantastical adventure that goes through the insides of our beloved demon boss. Sure, it might sound a bit unpleasant, but let me tell this: Colonoscopies are good for you. Specially if you are the one going inside. Uh.

» Full review «

DBP17: Alone (2019)

npJJEmp.png

By this point, we can all agree that the Doomer Boards Projects really stand out for the originality and creativity. Each month a new map-set with a different visual theme that can be as fun and simple as some well-known trends and also as unique and imaginative as, well, a Cyberdemon colonoscopy. Yet in the very rare occasions, you can find some projects that may look-alike quite a bit. Not a bad thing of course, but it is something that actually brings something interesting that brings some nice retrospective in the general panorama of the entire series. Well, personally, Alone is, I think, that kind of a project and also something more, quite dark, quite… alone.

Alone is one special 10 maps-set with quite the interesting yet already used theme, that being the Alien/HR Giger inspiration for the creation of it and the overall visual theme. Aliens are bound to appear, yet the actual gist of it lies on the simplistic yet enthralling level design and linear layouts that allow for some fast yet tense action. Now, why do I say already used? Well, I believe, and I’m quite sure, the DBP already had one Aliens themed map-set, the DBP04: Xenomorph Base. Which is also part of the original 5, so one of the OG DBPs. Yet, the first one failed a little bit in some points, leaving me with a less favorable but still decent opinion about the overall project. On the other hand, almost a year later, DBP17: Alone is another story, and this one ends quite better.

As you might expect from an Aliens themed project, atmosphere and presentation are on priority list for the general design of the visual style in each single fantastical set, all creating together quite the moody set, and for that we also have to thank MAP01 by @xvertigox, also leader of this project and his leading debut in the DBP! Quite the success. MAP02 by prolific mapper @Phobus is where all the tension breaks down and the action burns up, introducing two new main enemies: The Xenomorph, which you can imagine like a Pinky but more athletic and probably even more dangerous. On the other corner we have the Face Hugger, another classic Alien, uh, alien, that works like a mini-Pinky demon. Notice that I say Pinky because the Pinky is pretty much the only melee-only demon in Doom. Well, now thanks to these fantastic new assets we have two new demons/aliens that are actually very fun to encounter. But alright! Moving on. MAP03 by @Jaws In Space is a more mechanical, almost tech-base like map with some dark encounters and interesting scenery that introduces a well-done presentation. MAP04 by @gaspe takes us into an adventure of interiors and exteriors, along some really solid visuals. Our first true big map comes from the hands of @dmdr in MAP05, a big, tight and dark level that brings a nice challenge. MAP06 by @joe-ilya works as a good intermission allowing for some rest while exploring a simple yet solid map. MAP07 is where things get quite creepy. A fantastical moody map by @hardcore_gamer , delivering quite the darkly alleys of pure alien blood and some humans bodies here and there. @xvertigox comes back again and gift us MAP08, a big, broad and explorative map full of adventure and xenomorphs. Lots of those. Finally, if you think the DBP sage wasn’t going to make and appearance, well think again cause @Big Ol Billy makes a comeback by co-authoring alongside @glenzinho MAP09, the finalizer of this beautiful dark plate. A fully fledged adventure map that follows a complex combat system and quite the deep layout. Beautiful way to end a map-set! Well, of course we also have MAP10, a tiny credits maps that always brings nice feelings to my heart in each single DBP.

15d8a5fb71a19f0307251d4971086424e01505ef.pnge99b37e88389527b6c13050a2087d3dc2b1998a5.png

While Xenomorph Base felt like a good example that seemed to mimic the inspirations of Aliens TC or, obviously, Giger; Alone feels more like a complete tribute to the work of the people who strove to develop the fantastic dark art of Aliens. What we have here is a beautiful example of atmospheric maps that manage to capture a fantastic cinematic essence thanks to a good use of tracking and leadership. The maps are simple, mostly, but each one evokes the feeling of playing an official Alien game. Part of that is due, obviously to the moody level design, but also thanks to the introduction of the new enemies, skins, sounds and a MIDI that kicks ass. Meeting the first Xenomorphs is a fun, intense and exhilarating experience. But we take the rest of the new assets and we have a fantastic work that gives us a solid presentation along about 9 decent to great maps that try to give as much atmosphere as fun. Not only are these maps made simply to have that sci-fi horror movie look of the eighties/seventies, but they are also a clear Doom WAD that is as much fun to play with as it is to admire. A kind of futuristic visualization of what Aliens TC would have been if it was made during modern times, and also a path of redemption for the original DBP04.

The interesting object of the gameplay also lies in the introduction of the two new enemies mentioned above: The Alien (or Xenomorph) and the Face Hugger, or, well, hand-walker-with-strange-colors-and-terrible-appearance, as I like to call it. Seriously, look at him, that comes straight from hell. These two enemies are implemented in a very natural and dynamic way that manages to make a good set with the rest of the Doom's generic offspring (which also bring new skins) creating a good example of adjustment between difficulty and implementation. These new enemies stand out mainly for their method of attack: speed and high damage. Their HP is extremely low, but the high speed can take some time to get used to. They move like Pinkies in NM! which is quite an adrenaline rush. Lovely! Although, I do have to admit, while the overall enemy positioning is simple and solid enough to feel balanced, every once in a while we might get our assess kicked by these guys. These aliens.

65aa2654699e90f2dc350940dacb3868b2c4ff89.png

Overall, all I can say is that Alone feels like a worthy Aliens-inspired themed map-set; the new weapons, the new enemies, the level design, the sound, the atmosphere, the kick-ass combat and the frenetic gameplay. All these factors work together to deliver what is quite the enjoyable experience in this alone adventure.

Kuddos to @xvertigox for the solid debut!

» Full review « PS: I now use Tumblr because Imgur kept failing me everytime I need to upload bulk pictures. So here it is a new way of uploading full reviews, hope you guys like it!

Edited by Endless