Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Endless's WAD Reviews - DBP22: Biotech is Godzilla

1 hour ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Nice throwback! Vicarious Reality was a weird point of the series, and iirc its development was sort of interrupted or at least completed more hastily than previous entries. My final map with the broken/malfunctioning simulation conveniently—though completely unintentionally—ends up echoing how the series itself sorta fell apart for a minute there towards the end of development.

It's basically the hinge point between the first-era DBPs (consistently led by 40oz, abstract texture-based themes) and the 'modern era' DBPs (rotating leadership, many themes that had custom monsters and/or semi-narrative components). Interestingly, although it's undercooked, it also has all kinds of hints of the DBP Mark II style. The "simulation" bookends and lo-fi original textures + menu graphics suggest something of a more distinct universe, rather than a particular mood within the existing Doom universe, which is what you got from the DBP1-5 run (and which I also still dig).

I don't think of VR as a particularly successful set in itself, but its shortcomings gave me something to build on and develop when I was putting together the themes for LOTHT and Alien Bastards! in particular. In fact, AB! builds on a lot of those menu graphics and sort of functions as a "take 2" on the DBP-as-its-own-cheesy-sci-fi-world thing.

Thanks for sharing Billy! It is very interesting comparing and seeing how far the overall projects have come. I also see it as the last entry of the OG DBP's, finishing and interesting era but leaving the door open for an even better one.

Also totally coincidentally, there's a somewhat distinct DBP era that pretty much lines up with each Cacowards season. Mark II arguably starts with the DBP07 Christmas Project (originally considered more of a one-off), which was released on Christmas day 2018. And the "Tomatoman" era of the DBPs—a somewhat more ambitious and experimental continuation of the modern era, all with hidden secret thematic Tomatomen for... reasons...—began with November 2019's DBP18: Umbral Platinum, which I believe was the first one released after the 2019 Cacowards eligibility cutoff. 

6 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Also totally coincidentally, there's a somewhat distinct DBP era that pretty much lines up with each Cacowards season. Mark II arguably starts with the DBP07 Christmas Project (originally considered more of a one-off), which was released on Christmas day 2018. And the "Tomatoman" era of the DBPs—a somewhat more ambitious and experimental continuation of the modern era, all with hidden secret thematic Tomatomen for... reasons...—began with November 2019's DBP18: Umbral Platinum, which I believe was the first one released after the 2019 Cacowards eligibility cutoff. 

The Merry Christmassy Doom Project definitely marks a big change in the quality and general theme of future projects, ending 2018 with enormous potential for the future (which we already saw how great that potential ended up being). Wow, there's a whole history and even names for DBP eras! An interesting retrospective that changes not only from the outside, but also from the inside with the inclusion of new leaders and authors, and the departure of others. There's some interesting juice here that would make a fascinating DBP article.

Mercury Rain (2016)

By @Jimmy

IXwCmei.png

A fantastic map that makes use of incredible features included in ZDoom and its derivatives. With a beautiful design that gives certain airs of radiation (It’s raining mercury, right?), but at the same time combines a strange natural essence, as if you were in an alien base, outside of Earth, but familiar, like an enchanted forest that feels like home, but on another planet. The map is mainly oriented to offer a high-quality visual factor, as you can tell from the screenshots and my weird-ass descriptions. With sounds of rain, fine drops and even distant thunder, this map creates a perfect environment reminiscent of early 2000s video games, where every effect was used alongside a magnificent art style to create moody levels. Mercury Rain achieves that, along with an excellent gameplay that offers different variables complemented by a design dynamic enough to make it tasty.

GZDoom tends to be a special format that requires some extra work both from the mapper and from the player to get to work properly, yet, let’s not forget the fact that GZDoom format doesn’t necessarily means ''super-hard-effect-format''. You see, there’s some small effects that despite being simple in the normal sense (and practically irrelevant for gaming standards today) can still increase the overall quality of a Doom map by the double. Sometimes I embrace the unorthodox, the surreal and the beauty, here, I embrace the Mercury Rain.

@Jimmy needs no introduction to the Doom community. He’s pretty much pumping quality stuff non-stop since 2008, from his famous MIDI work to his fantastically-done maps, he’s been there doing something. Mercury Rain is a case of a map that kind of slept under everyone’s radars. I mean, why doesn’t it have a Doomwiki page already? Sacrilege… but anyway. This map, I consider, is one of his underappreciated works, I believe this is something that one might expect from extra prolific authors, the fact that every once in a while, some of his works may be uploaded/published in a more quietly way. Yet, here I am to make some noise. *Noise*

Ambient maps are something that doesn’t come quite often on the WAD community. By quite often I mean that you really don’t hear much about them, or at least are not as talked like other projects. When I said ambient map, I mean maps that manage to create and special atmosphere throughout the whole playthrough, making the general design with the purpose to evoke an aura that matches whatever theme the mapper has in mind. In simple words: Mood in mapping. They probably aren’t as common to find and make because let’s face it, Doom format doesn’t allow that much for ambient setting thanks to its limitations, yet, because of the skills of the general community, it is possible, but it does require quite some mapping abilities and some general knowledge about how to recreate that special ambient flavor. Not only you would need to go over the limits of the engine of Doom, but you also need to know very damn well what you are doing unless you just want to make a mess of settings. You see, is not that adding the rain effect makes a map already moody (it does help a lot tho), but you also need to know how to and when to. Those effects and the design of the map must go in hand for them work in the right way. In other words: Synergy. Both the map maker must be sure enough of his skills and also of the work needed to make an ambient map. Mercury Rain achieves this thanks to those factors been taken into account; you have the rain setting, check, special textures with excellent composition and use, checked, a well-done layout that works well within its own personal limitations, checked, neat new trick like mist and laser walls, checked, good enemy positioning, checked and finally, just plain good old level design choices, checked.

Mercury Rain is a fantastic level that embraces ambience and visuals with a graceful touch on simplicity, without, of course, leaving behind or sacrificing gameplay. Is a simple, yet visually pretty map that offers a good challenge without getting super hard nor boring. You’ll find yourself quickly immersed in this green world full with rain and a nicely done MIDI that is surely going to satisfy your WAD cravings. For those that want some Doom escapism, this is quite the good choice.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

Fava Beans (1995)

By Sean Birkel

9ORhwlO.jpg

Ah, the 90s, the golden days of the birth of the first-person-shooter madness in PC's. Doom was launched two years ago and was crowned the best game of the decade. The community was not only beginning its great dawn, but also the map authors were beginning to be born and their true abilities were shining through. A time were things were different and an era was born.

This is the birthplace of the first truly great WADs that could stand their own ground compared to the original IWADs. Fava Beans follows this great path with graceful feet by delivering a respectful, modest and simple Episode 1 replacement that warms my cold heart even after all these years. After all, by 1995, WADs were still in a more newborn status, still forming themselves until finally reveal their truly terrifying and awesome capabilities, showing that not only Doom is great, but so are the community creators.

With a simple style that as we can imagine, follows quite the traditional style of The Ultimate Doom with Tech-Bases and abstract designs that seek more to achieve a point of fun, balanced with good visuals and good gameplay. Fava Beans is a traditional map-set in every sense. From its simple use of stock textures to its simplified and modest style of gameplay; from start to finish these are maps so vanilla that our mouths will be sweetened. Such a term is usually thrown around from time to time with mentions of new maps that try to replicate the vanilla feeling, but in order to replicate it, we as players, first have to understand well what that vanilla feeling was in the first place. Here we can find the best characteristics of such terminology. We will find short maps that should not take us more than 5 minutes in terminals in their majority, each one of them following a fundamentally primitive but essentially attractive style. Bearing in mind that this came out in 1995, I can see with relative ease why it was so well mentioned and is still loved within the community. It has each of the essential factors to be enjoyable, delivering and polishing them to its own standards, following a very good dynamic balance within the very IWAD it uses, The Ultimate Doom.

Visually, this does nothing but make me say: ''Auww, cute. '' After all, this is one truly simple map-set by today standards that despite being extra old, still feels quite good to play even after all this time. This is mostly thanks to the really nice texture work. On my blind playthrough, I didn’t find a single visual bug like a hall of mirrors or misaligned textures, and for 1995 that’s quite something. Not only does the texture work impresses my eye, but also the fact that there’s some small bits and pieces of different themes working together in something much attractive than your common steel and circuits textures.

When it comes to how this episode replacement plays, well, it does so quite well. You see, don’t expect to much from a map-set that was released a long time ago, and especially if it’s an Ultimate Doom map-set, yet, despite those low expectations, this map actually manages to succeed with grace. Is not hard, is actually quite easy, yet it offers such a flow that in no moments does any map feels truly boring. It also helps that each map reaches an average of 5 minutes of duration each, with the longest one being like 10 or 15 max. There’s also lots of secrets and different routes to take, giving each map some replayability value thanks to the dynamic progression. Some maps may fall behind in the overall score, like the secret map and the final map, yet, all maps work together in a very good map-set that’s designed with care and fun taken into account. Your modern Doomer can finish this in over 30 minutes, and those are going to be some fun and delightful 30 minutes.

We are into the second decade of 2000, yet, despite all that time, Doom lives on and I still can’t believe it. It just so awesome, yet the best part about it is actually going through the entire history of the evolution of all these precious WADs. Like small gems incrusted in a golden plate amor. They may get outshined by the bigger more colorful precious stones, yet, they always shine despite that. Years may pass, and I encourage all to play some good old vanilla WADs. Fava Beans is one great starting point, go play it, go see it with your own eyes and relieve this piece of Doom history.

» Fava Beans «

Edited by Endless

Call of the Apostate (2011)

By Stormwalker

fjIFl5S.png

Let's start first with a great disclaimer from me, or rather an author's note, or both: This is the first WAD I've played from Heretic, the first one I've finished at least. Previously I played Curse of D'Sparil, however I didn't manage to advance since I found the wad a bit lost and difficult for my taste. You see, Heretic in its natural state is a much more challenging game than Doom. It has no such thing as enemies respawning or the like, but most enemies are much heavier HP-wise and have more complex attacks. This was one of the factors that stopped me from completing the WAD and wanting to keep playing others, however, soon after I gave the end to the IWADs, I found some fascinating appeal in both its style and playability. Heretic uses the same Doom engine so in a way it felt like playing medieval-fantasy Doom. I loved it.

Call of the Apostate is a relatively recent map-set that manages to meet my requirements quite skillfully. Being a total novice as far as Heretic is concerned, I was looking for a map-set that would be moderate with new players and have a simple progression that is acceptable to novices. This Episode 3 replacement (plus an extra map) is the perfect place to start in this heretic adventure. Thanks to @Not Jabba for making this little list where I managed to find a good place to start on this new journey. I sincerely believe that Heretic needs a little more appreciation and love in the community. Its unique in his own way.

If we are Doom players and we enter Heretic, we may find as many differences as similarities. The clearest similarity is that being part of the Doom engine, we will find certain behaviors and mechanisms that are practically the same as Doom, like the movement system for example, with the difference that Heretic allows mouselook (kinda). However, the clearest difference is the visual one, since even with the IWADs we can find a clear new theme of textures that work as well as those of Doom, I would even dare to say that they are more consistent and feasible than those of Doom. Call of the Apostate shows us how this visual capacity can be brought to an environment that maintains its vanilla essence but increases its design quality. We are faced with different maps that vary in both their layout designs and their texture work. In the author's own words, Stormcaller: ''The episode is laid out so that levels 1-3 are inspired by E1, levels 4, 9, and 5 by E2, and levels 6-8 by E3. Expect a boss fight every 3rd level.'' With this we will have clear that we will find good visual variety through all the entirety of the WAD, helping so much to improve the experience of the players as to help to the general presentation of each one of the maps.

The maps are designed with a clear visual theme, but apart from the work of textures or details, each of the maps has a surprisingly simplistic layout that helps both to be enjoyable and executed in little time, as well as to demonstrate a good attribute to new players that might be a little too anxious to start this new journey. The experts of Heretic may find it to be a fairly simple map-set, but taking it into account from a totally blind spot to what this world is all about, each of the maps are very well designed, taking into account every factor necessary to be balanced and fun. Despite that, I think Call of the Apostate is superior in terms of challenge compared to the original campaign.  It has a clear and well-balanced progression system that goes up slightly, but when it reaches its peaks, it has incredibly tight and hard fights. New players may like to select Skill level 3 (which is equivalent to HMP if I'm not bad) or lower, as some particular battles can be incredibly tense. One point I want to highlight is the fantastic presentation and build-up to each of the boss battles. The bosses here are not used as mere cannon fodder, but as real challenges that we will have to overcome in order to continue our mission. With scenarios that are as massive as they are surprising, these details of magnitude help to double the overall feeling at the time of the final battles, creating an atmosphere that is as tense as it is epic, which I simply cannot help but describe as: Great.

Call of the Apostates works as a perfect entry point for all those players who wish to put in their hands a new (old) type of classic game that follows a clear philosophy of design and balance. With fantastically traditional visuals and a level design that is complex and understandable enough to keep us playing non-stop for as long as it takes to finish. A simple touch that manages to successfully satisfy thanks to the multiple factors previously given. As someone who has never finished a WAD from Heretic, this is an excellent point that makes me quite positive and excited about the future I have playing this game. More WADs to come and more maps to finish, but, where to start? Well here, this is a perfect place to jump into this world of black magic and curses.

Balanced to be played pistol-start (or elvenwand-start) style as well as made to be as attractive to veterans as to newcomers. Ten stylish maps that expand through different visual themes as well as different layout designs. Call of the Apostate is heretically fun. Go try it.

» Full review «

The Darkening Episode 2 (2000)

By various authors

ga1smh4.jpg

Hell, where do I start? The Darkening E2 is an old WAD, no doubt, but it's one that when I finished playing, I realized how relevant and important it is within the great panorama of content made by the community. Starting a year ago with the first episode, which I already played but still have to review, The Darkening started as a modest map-set with simple designs and easy gameplay, delivering satisfying vanilla tastes to anyone who wants to try it, even years later. Having first completed Episode 1, I came with certain expectations already placed on this set of maps. After all, as part of a series, it was expected that a similar theme or style would follow, while improving on the previous aspects and achieving a better overall design compared to the previous one. Well, indeed, that’s exactly what happened with this glorious map-set.

The Darkening E2 follows the same theme as the previous entry. A map-set made of 12 single player maps and 12 deathmatch maps. All these maps are stylized towards a more Quake inspired layout and texture choice. The brown color shines like never before thanks to the fantastic work of @ukiro, probably one of his first works both in the area of maps and in the area of textures. Showing his initial steps into what would end up being a legendary legacy.

Like its predecessor, Episode 2 follows the same formula established on its design philosophy: Maps that follow interconnected paths but are simple to explore. However, Darkening E2 takes it to another level by presenting maps that are simply superb in every respect. Designed with such detail and attention to every single centimeter, they feel like official maps made by the Quake team during the 2000s. We begin with a great example of an excellent starter-map thanks to the efforts of ukiro, which delivers an excellent initial map (and then others just as great) that serves both to warm us up about what kind of style we will find and a pinch of what are the fantastic proto-OTEX textures, the predecessors to the great project that we all now admire with the drool coming out of our mouths.  

In the previous entry of the series, the main author and spotlight was Jan Var der Veken aka @BhadTrip who once again makes an appearance by demonstrating his incredibly efficient design capabilities in each of his unique maps and also his collaborations. This time we don't have the brilliance of just one author but not even two, we have the skills of a great multitude of authors who managed to live together in harmony in the same well-done style. @Capellan and @Afterglow are another of those fantastic mappers who stand out for their fascinating designs and skills to stay relevant over the years. Here we can find one of the first examples of excellent creation and improvement of these mappers. There are two things that I find incredibly surprising; first: This WAD is 20 years old! My goodness! And it feels so great, so smooth, so modern, it's an incredible achievement that shines thanks to the fascinating work of each of the authors. A style as unique as it is distinctive among each of them. Their skills are, without a doubt, unique, taking into account that in 2000 we were still going through the transition between vanilla and modern, because this is a vanilla WAD but with a modern touch, one of the first I've played in that style, capable of feeling as if it were recent. Second: The harmony created between each of the levels. Each map has been designed by different authors and even maps like MAP 09, which was created by three different authors: Jan, ukiro and Anthony Soto aka Swedish Fish or Night Viper. Despite being a level that was designed under the prefect of different minds and abilities, each of them will collaborate in a unique way. Full of synergy and excellent coordination that establishes a great scheme full of excellent details. Thanks to a fascinating organization that gives an almost perfect progression, this map-set feels so smooth that it makes you almost want to suck it. Almost. That is up to you, dear Doomer.

Now, this is probably one of the most fascinating and respectable factors that we can find in this map-set, which notably helps to give it that air of immortality that so fascinated me. The fantastic visual work. As I said, part of this is due to the incredible use of textures created by ukiro, one of the first examples of his work (in my experience) and one of the most brilliant texture works that could have been born taking steps from this place. No doubt they follow a brown palette that is very reminiscent of Quake's design, but once we adapt it to such skilled hands as these authors, we have as a result a set of maps that resonates in eternity. The fascinating textures that are so consistent and relevant do a great favor, but what are textures if they are not used with style and confidence? Well, these map makers really know how to use them. Each level is not only a tech-base fantasy, but also brings with it unique and varied zones that make us want to explore more. We have warehouses with well-designed and textured loading and storage areas, we have ruined bases, where we can find lava roads and destroyed roofs. There are excellent outdoor areas that are incredibly combined with the indoor areas, creating a well-defined fluidity between jumps that encourages us to keep going. It just looks and feels: Great.

This map-set does not come with detours. The gameplay is as vanilla as you would expect, but it is designed to have a clearly designed difficulty curve. The first few maps are simple without much difficulty, but the further you go the hotter things get, especially in UV where items become scarcer. No doubt a great leap in difficulty compared to the modesty of Episode 1, but one that is especially welcome in these modern times where most of the WADs from the 90s or early 2000s can be seen as very simple.

The Darkening Episode 2 is undoubtedly one of the greatest examples of work that lives on. One of my favorites.

» Full review «

Deathless (2018)

By @Jimmy

rNhE9Jc.jpg

Back in 1993, the world was taken by a storm with the release of the greatest game of all time. People would lose their minds into this fantastical world of hell and Mars bases. Heck, I still lose my mind just thinking about it 26 years later. Doom introduced pretty much everything that a current FPS has, but above everything else, Doom also introduced some of the most legendary level designs of all time. Now, have you ever wondered, what if Doom was released with the exact same engine and art style, but with a more fashioned and modern level design? Well, this is Deathless.

A full 4-episode megawad for the good-old Ultimate Doom, following a direct and clear theme that makes complete reference to each of the original episodes. Each episode follows a simple yet quite effective theme: To be as vanilla-styled as possible yet with a better progression of what the original episodes offered. With this I mean that, despite The Ultimate Doom been the OG of everything, it still lacked a little bit of the progression quality, been a little bit lost at certain points. Meanwhile, Deathless is like a full re interpretation of what the original 4 episodes would be but with a much more polished level layout and sweet texturing choice.

In the current stage of modern Doom map making, the recent trend of modern maps could be described as: Extra detailed, superb level design, bombastic combat full of explosive and challenging gameplay. It is, at least in sort of way, a much more common form of mapping since a few years ago. Simplistic and more grounded, easy map-sets are becoming much rare to find, specially those that are actually good and enjoyable. Deathless is one of those. A simple yet super effective Ultimate Doom megawad that follows a very easy scheme of gameplay and progression through each episode that it offers. This megawad is not trying to be anything super expensive or crazy, and that’s where the beauty of it shines. As the saying goes, less is more, mapping doesn’t always have to be a chore. @Jimmy proves that to create a good, well-done and enjoyable WAD, you only have to follow your own rules and your own style.

Deathless follows a very traditional choice of texture use and visual design, making use of the entire Ultimate Doom stock textures and using the original episode layout to follow on its own steps. This is what the Ultimate Doom could have looked like with modern editing tools and a much more grounded path system, while still retaining the same feeling of simplicity and pureness. Episode 1 Lifeless is a perfect rendition of the Tech-base themed maps with some godlike level design for starter maps. Short, fast-paced, balanced gameplay and a remodeling of almost everything the original Knee-deep did but better. Episode 2 Ruthless follows on the same path by presenting a combination of the Shores of Hell with it. Episode 3 Deathless, makes Inferno look more like an evil setting than the original could ever did. Finally, episode 4 Griefless is a pretty and simple Thy Flesh Consumed inspired level that pumps the challenge just for a bit while still remaining as consistent and fluid as ever. From all those episodes, Lifeless is probably my favorite because of what a great starting episode it is and each level introduces some fantastical level design that emphasizes upon short duration and fast-paced combat. Griefless, despite being based upon my favorite original episode, falls a little bit short behind in that regard, so I consider it probably the weakest of all, yet still a very fun and well-done episode. Heck, there’s even a full remake of one of Doom 2 original maps for you to enjoy.

One could argue that Doom 2 is the superior version of Doom for WAD making, yet, let’s not forget the roots and let’s not despise our ancestors, for The Ultimate Doom, despite being much simpler and probably easier, still presents beautiful options for creative gameplay thanks to its limitations, which actually push the boundaries of map making into a much more intelligent and well-thought out design. Deathless is, as expected, a very simple and quite short megawad that perfectly maintains its own set of rules while at the same time offering an experience that could be said, recreates the original Doom like butter. Deathless does this in such a sweet way that I can’t recommend it enough. It is easy, that’s for sure, I would even say easier than the actual original episodes, yet, easy isn’t equal to boring, on the contrary, if done right, an easy ride is the best flow we can try out for some chill and entertaining moments. It is precisely because of this that Deathless would be the best starter megawad for someone that’s looking to get into the world of Doom WADs. Easy to play, pretty to watch, simple to progress and more than enjoyable on each minute of gameplay.

@Jimmy is a masterclass when it comes to mapping, especially since one of his main focuses, in the experience I have gathered, is that he’s looking to make you have a good time. To enjoy the ride and watch the sunset at dawn. Deathless may sound like a violent and gory name, but it is quite peaceful and very, very enjoyable. Not only that, but its very short duration makes it even better for newcomers, and of course, veterans that are open to something much simpler to relax to. In one way or another, Deathless is a must.

» Full review «

Demonfear (2000)

@Capellan

MZ6Dkke.jpg

Demonfear is a fully fledged 2000 megawad for Doom 2 that was featured on the list of top WADs from 1999, despite being uploaded to /idgames on 2000, still, I think it deserves its status quite well. While we all know that the 90s and even early 2000s were a time of experimentation and improvement thanks to mostly very primitive mapping theory and early-build tools, the 90s had a charm that we can’t quite replicate, for good or for worse, it’s an era that shall remain in or memory. Demonfear is like many other WADs from the 90s, pretty damn tribal compared to what we have today, yet despite all its flaws we also have to take into account the context and the date. Once we do that, Demonfear gains a charm that is unmistakable and unique, thanks both to his unique setting and style of gameplay.

@Capellan has been active since forever; a full veteran Doomer that hasn’t stopped mapping since the 90s in all its glory. Showing a clear improvement and dynamic style. Demonfear is one of his most early works, starting way back in 1995, the megawad start fist as an episode/map-set styled WAD, slowly been published up until 1999 and finally getting compiled into one single megawad by 2000. I think we all know that mapping during the 90s was a completely different beast compared to the present, making 90s WAD have a distinct limitation as well as various experimental stages. Demonfer follows on a similar path by offering very, very short maps with a tight combat focused mostly on fast-pace and non-stop action. These maps are vanilla to the hundred, not only made with some of the earliest examples of level editors in the community, but also made following some already grounded and well-know themes or styles. The best example is probably the constant use of cute-Doom architecture during the first 10 or so maps, while the rest get more into a tech-base theme and reaching for the Inferno styled levels, with some comparable to Thy Flesh Consumed. All in all, they’re pretty bland compared to today standards, but that’s the thing that we have to take into consideration. You see, you can’t just compare a 90s level with a level made during the 2010s. If we did that, we all would be calling this levels crap and forget about them, but that’s not the right thing to do. Demonfear is outdated but that doesn’t mean it has lost its charm.

While looking quite simplistic thanks to the usage of vanilla stock textures, the maps are designed with ideas and creativity in mind. You’ll start with some interesting cute-Doom maps that try to recreate departments, houses, hallways, small urban cities and so on, traveling through various maps that try to replicate the same design while still being limited to the original flaws of the Doom engine, thus, producing levels that we could describe as: innovative, or better yet; creative. Sure, they may look funny know but even if time keeps moving on, the original legacy of the megawad endures not only because of its vanilla-esque feeling but also because it is, you guessed, fun.

This megawad is short and that’s an understatement; it is indeed, very, very short. Most maps wont last even two minutes, and the first maps are so short that you could rush them in less than a single minute, making the pace truly frenetic and constant. This is quite the perfect megawad for speedrunners, well, except for the fact that most maps have an insane quantity of doors, seriously, what the hell. Still, that is actually quite a good point of its behalf. Megawads that offer very short yet entertaining maps tend to go better on the long run, mostly because even if you didn’t enjoy it at least you didn’t waste much time, but in case you did enjoy, then in that case it almost feels like a chill way of time traveling.

Yet not all maps are super short. Once you’ve played this megawad, you’ll discover quickly that while the first maps are indeed made in a much more primitive and rushed design, the last maps showcase some very good design choices and interesting architecture that make great use of the stock textures to convey one good visual aspect. Like a mountain, the best views are right at the end of it, on the top.

Demonfear is very simple, not that hard and has some really good moments that while still being on a more childlike state, transmit a good feeling of nostalgia and vanilla emotion. I tend to like vanilla megawads and pretty much early 2000s works, yet is not only because I like the idea of trying out old stuff, but also because I enjoy finding by myself those juvenile works where everything started. Like traveling through time, this is feels almost like watching revolution in just an hour. Our ancestors may look ugly but always respect them, for they took the first steps into a greater path.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

9 hours ago, Capellan said:

Glad you had fun with it!

I did! I've also enjoyed your maps in the Darkening E2. Pretty excited to see what else you got ;)

1 minute ago, Mostcus said:

Great tread man! Thank for showing me Demonfear. Now i wanna play it too :)

Thanks! You can also play this megawad alonsige the DWmegawad club too for some good reads and sharing some opinions.

Return to Hadron Episode 1 (2015)

By Matt Powell aka @cannonball

cf9s4ZJ.jpg

Return to Hadron is a unique case of creation and fantastic remastering. You could say that it is a ''remastered'' of the classic ConC.E.R.N.ed, a WAD that I haven't played yet but in spite of that I can say that it probably gave good bases for this fantastic work, since Return to Hadron is an exceptional case of detail, quality, dynamism and fascinating progression through a challenging but stable episodic replacement for the classic Ultimate Doom. Coming with all the necessary twist for a delightful adventure through toxic industries and advanced tech-bases.

Coming right from the title pic, you can easily start making a guess as to what kind of theme this map set includes. A beautiful low-res rendering of the infamous Large Hadron Collider. Not only does this title pic look cool as heck, but it also works perfectly well to convey the kind of level design that you are about to experience, and oh boy it does not disappoint at all, on the contrary, it’s pretty damn awesome yet simple enough to make your eyes sweat of joy and possible pain. Starting with a very tight yet extra detailed map that shows pretty much the overall quality of what’s to come, Return to Hadron sets the foot straight into consistency and level flow. For the next levels, you shall see some of the best examples of toxic refineries/industries the community has to show. Fantastical levels that proudly showcase some awesome yet simple and very slick texture work plus fascinating layouts that are as intuitive as it can be. The first four maps follow this toxic green color palette filled with demons and multitude of encounters that work extremely well alongside the overall level design. Not everything is pure green and nukage, better yet, there’s a very well-done combination of everyone’s favorite theme: Tech-base. After you exit the toxic industries you are greeted by some really awesome looking and advanced levels that portray Doom’s most beloved purist design. Like a beautiful painting that intertwines two different sets of paintings into one single yet outstandingly pretty landscape. Return to Hadron is, in very simple words, very pretty. A full collage of two very distinct yet capable mapping styles that showcase the best of both worlds thanks to a very dense level design that joins forces along a simple yet very smooth texture work. Like a dance of good and evil, a dichotomy that despite all the differences ends up becoming very similar both in the fantastic quality and the general layout.

@cannonball manages to create a very impressive level set that excels at both looks and general design, yet is not only the looks that shine among the toxic waste and tech-base circuits, but also the excellent and quite intuitive layouts that make most of the maps very frenetic to play and almost non-stop action on higher difficulties. Like a river on constant flow among rocks and rapids, this is a map set that tightens the control and it makes us fly at high speeds through hordes of enemies and blood.

Some of the reviews I read about this map set on the /idgames archive said that this WAD turns itself into a slaughtermap fest by the last maps; while I got to admit that I’m not the biggest fan slaughtermaps, I’m also going to defend this map set by saying: This is not a slaughter wad. Sure, the combat is very tight and quite precarious at certain points, with massive waves of enemies at once, specially cacodemon swarms, yet, what constitutes a slaughtermap in the first place? Sure, number of enemies tends to be the first factor to take into account when talking about this kind of map sets, yet is not only about the numbers but many more factors that will ultimately decide what kind of map set it is. Return to Hadron packs a big punch thanks to a very frenetic and fluid level design that’s full of demons in each corner, yet that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a slaughterfest on every single inch. It is a challenging map set full of difficult yet rewarding encounters that focus on maintaining the player on the constant edge while at the same time giving it more than enough options to blast through the entirety of the maps. This is a hard map set, but is not ridiculously unfair like some actual slaughterwads. Heck, there’s only so much you can do with the small repertoire of demons in Ultimate Doom, and that’s the interesting part. Since a map maker can’t just spam Revenants and Chaingunners on every corner, they have to resort to a more intelligent map design that makes the best use out the limited yet dynamic enemy variations that the OG Doom has. With that out of the way, I would actually compare this WAD to Thy Flesh Consumed in terms of difficulty, but with a proper scaling that is.

Return to Hadron makes a fantastic work out of everything, pretty much, yes. From the fascinating map layouts to the simple yet extra crispy texture work that makes everything looks so pleasing to the eye without becoming unnecessarily cluttered. No doubt is worthy of all recognition and praise it gets. For a first episode, this is definitely one that shows a very expensive quality that shines thanks to both consistency and virtuosity while still retaining a beautiful work-flow that allows for some really sweet and delightful fun. While most maps tend to be on the short to medium size area, every single one of then shines like a diamond among rubble. Toxic waste never looked so delicious, almost makes you want to take a dip into it (don’t) and of course, while we are pretty much saturated to the max with tech-bases, Return to Hadron makes them unique and super fun to play. All this under a beautiful and pure design philosophy that isn’t pretending to be some pretentious over the top work.

While the CERN facilities looks cool as heck, Doom allows us to actually visit it but with a more bloody and hellish twist. Ever wonder how’s the daily life of CERN workers and scientist? Well, look no more, Return to Hadron is here for you to satisfy that peerless thirst for quality maps and some scientific slaughter. Hadrons are about to crash down boy.

» Full review «

16 hours ago, cannonball said:

Cheers for the review and I am glad you enjoyed playing this.

As an aside the name for map05 is a wordplay based off this British sitcom;

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/

It seemed appropriate given the primary computer base theme of the map.

Haha awesome! Gotta admit that IMP Crowd sounds more doomy ;)

A Fistful of Doom (1996)

by Gali

6o2bizF.jpg

As most of you know, Doomworld has a special list before the Cacowards called the Top 100 WADs of all time, which list ten WADs per year until the rise of the all mighty Cacowards. In that big ass list, there’s one special WAD that caught my attention by shining with an interesting a unique name: A Fistful of Doom, part of the Top 10 WADs of 1995 and rightfully so.

Fun fact, while the list states that this is map set is from 1995, the /idgames release was two years later in 1997 and the actual final release was in 1996. Thanks to @Doomkid, now I know that there probably were beta versions as early as 1995 and thus that’s the one that managed to get his way into the list. Three years, three different releases, all the same goodies, all Doom western, all Doom history!

A Fistful of Doom is a special case of Partial Conversion themed around the all mighty famous Spaghetti western movie genre of the golden age of Hollywood, mostly the Leon saga of the Dollar, which the title directly homages. As one might expect of a 90s WAD, there’s some interesting stuff and nice experimentation that while may look outdated by current standards I still have to give credit where credit is due; This map set is pretty damn fun. Simple as hell, with 3 total maps and one of those is just a night version of another one, this map set is indeed quite small but still manages to make his way into quality and consistency. Ful if simple textures that look almost like they were captured straight from the movies, but with enough quality and rough consistency to make it look really good thanks to the well-done layout and general design of each of the levels. Not only does it look pretty good for a 90s Partial Conversion themed around western movies, but it plays damn fine thanks to a high skill ceiling gameplay and a very varied and dynamic level progression that’s full of traps and enemies to fight. It is pretty damn hard for a first timer, especially on UV where will get bodied by dozens of enemies in both tight corner and open fields waiting for a good old duel. Old west style.

The first map starts perfectly well for the general style of the whole map set, almost feeling like it directly whispers to us: Welcome to the Old West, where guns are like hot cakes and coins are worth a man's life; here the quickest trigger only survives against the lone trigger, unless you have Doomguy's skills, then you become the ultimate lone ranger. The first map gives us a perfect instruction to what is to come in this wonderful and nostalgic map set. A small hacienda/ranch with a few detailed buildings designed on the basis of the Old West, specifically the famous Leone movies. This is a pretty square map but fun thanks to a good variation of rooms and well positioned enemies; in fact, it is surprisingly difficult to be a map of the 90s, to the point that most of them may die multiple times in UV. In spite of that, it is pure gold thanks to its historical value and the fact that it is still fun.

MAP02: A Faceful of Tacos (Gosh that name makes me hungry) is where the main challenge shall begin. I have no idea where ''Tacos'' in the title comes from, but it has certainly made me crave for some good food. This is a hot map with lots of action in every way. We are now in a kind of desert village with lots of well-designed houses that offer realistic detail (90s Cute Doom is the ultimate) plus a good layout that promotes speed and combat. Excellent, fun and iconic. Hard as hell, but that's what makes it so much fun in these years. MAP31 is pretty much the same, well, exactly the same but with a night sky and a more somber mood. Love it.

One of my favorite vanilla Partial Conversion map sets, full of good moments and a beautiful charming presentation. Since the get go you’ll find yourself immersed in the simplistic beauty of this WAD thanks to its awesome sound effects and dynamic music based on players proximity, which the Doomwiki states were made by burying an imp underground and replacing its idle sound effect with a music track. Ha! Fantastic and creative. This WAD has all those factors; simple yet lovely, a full adventure that takes us way back in time to the 90s, and then even way back to the Old West, where our guns are now bolt action and only the best of the best gunslingers survive. This is a very fun WAD, sure, it’s old, sure, it’s simple, but hell, like a fine wine, this tastes really good. A must.

» Full review «

2 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

You're a machine, Endless! Keep up being so awesome!

Haha! Aww thanks man, glad you enjoy the effort here and in the Wadazine :)

No End in Sight (2016)

By Emil Brundage aka @NaturalTvventy et al

AVpZhon.jpg

The Ultimate Doom is usually regarded as the less open or less creative form of WAD making, with not so many maps coming in, in comparison to Doom 2, probably by a difference of 9 Doom 2 WADs for each Ultimate Doom WAD, which, to be honest, is kind of right in a way. While Doom 2 offers some neat new tricks and a complete plethora of new enemies, the Ultimate Doom still manages to retain its own charm and lovely essence by just being simple and fun. So, what happens if some skilled, crazy mapper decides to make a megawad that would blow every other common Doom 2 WAD out of the park? Well, No End in Sight is here to accomplish such mission.

Created by @NaturalTvventy with the help of the extra creative (almost extroverted style) mapper @Xaser Acheron and the help of a Christopher Lutz, a classic mapper that focuses heavily on attention to detail. This is quite the trifecta of absolute mad men that have gathered all their skills and knowledge to give rise to this fantastic beast. No End in Sight is a megabeast that tries to recreate the classic mapping style of the Ultimate Doom while at the same time giving it a more modern touch that goes into the extra detailed zone and huge mapping extravaganzas. Like I said before, No End in Sight manages, 100%, to get into the likes of most modern Doom 2 megawads by being both super nice to look at, very deep in nature with extra layers of progression and also being extra hot when it comes to gameplay, emphasis on that last one.

Like the original, this megawad follows the classic scheme of having four full episodes, each one following a different theme alongside a characteristic style of gameplay. Episode 1, called quite nicely 1994 Ways To Die is a great homage the classic style of mapping back in the 90s and the simple yet quite attractive style of the gool old tech-base. This, just like the original episode of classic Doom, plays like smooth butter and has such a nice and simplistic style that it feels good on the heart. Episode 2 The Depths of Doom is our first launch into the great challenge of what’s to come. While still maintaining a simplistic and fairly short layout in each map, this one makes use of more interesting gimmicks and crank up the difficulty by a bit. Episode 3 Woe is our true first touch into the hot fire that this megawad is capable of bursting out in such short amount of time. Things get really hot both on the looks and the gameplay, making it looks twice as great and twice as hard. Finally, Episode 4 Blood Stained Earth, here, oh boy, here is where this megawad truly shines by a big jump. This episode is tangibly fantastic and magically frenetic, full of different variations of Thy Flesh Consumed styled maps that have as much detail as enemies. From beginning to end you’ll face some of the best custom maps that there are for the Ultimate Doom. While, they do look fantastic and are full of creative and nice design ideas, this last episode also comes to the point of becoming a pure nightmare, to the point that multiple times I categorized various maps from this episode as: Sadistic. Heck, they are going to make you bleed a big lot and by this point, E3 and E2 already started the job of leaving us sore. Definitively, the biggest downside to having such extreme, expandable and challenging maps is that despite having a golden quality, really start to become very annoying and troublesome. While I do admit that by this point E4 felt like an absolute pain in the ass, that still doesn’t change my overall opinion about the entire episode and the megawad itself, that being: is pretty good, man.

This megawad does standout for being quite hard in comparison to, well, any other megawad for the Ultimate Doom. With a very stepped difficulty curve and an absolute chad of a last episode, this map set is sure to make you clench your teeth in stress as you blast trough dozens of Barons that stand guard around a buffed pair of Cyberdemons. Yup, and that’s just the first part. All in all, No End in Sight plays like a big adventure through an expansive, new world full of demons in a big deal of variations, and nukage or boiling blood. No map feels the same and no maps stalls in quality, with almost every single one having an identity of itself. @NaturalTvventy did most of the entirety of mapping and you can easily start detecting the styles and quirks of each mapper. @Xaser really shines on this because of his very, uh, extroverted, quirky or simply put, unique style of mapping. While Christopher Lutz doesn’t seem to have made much maps by itself, I supposed it worked as support for the rest of the team.  One thing is for sure, both mappers did an amazing job that delivers both consistency in every single aspect and quite the nice repertoire of variation and bloody combats in all scenarios.

I can easily see why No End in Sight has such a high esteem and respect in the community, plus a Cacoward. Ultimate Doom megawads are not that common, but even better, a good, fascinating and unique megawad for the classic of classics is even weirder now a day. While this megawad does suffer from becoming too spicy by the last episode and quite large with an average duration of seven hours, it still manages to be completely worth it thanks to the masterful level design that goes like a ring to the finger with the general violent style of the gameplay. Like a rewarding journey through hell, nobody said it was going to be easy, but you better be damn sure that is going to be hot, deliciously hot. Bonus, I loved the end screen at the end of episode 4 with that ingenious pun. That’s already worth it, go play it. Go until there’s no end in your sight. Heh.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

4 hours ago, Endless said:

No End in Sight (2016)

By Emil Brundage aka @NaturalTvventy et al

AVpZhon.jpg

The Ultimate Doom is usually regarded as the less open or less creative form of WAD making, with not so many maps coming in, in comparison to Doom 2, probably by a difference or 9 Doom 2 WADs for each Ultimate Doom WAD, which, to be honest, is kind of right in a way. While Doom 2 offers some neat new tricks and a complete plethora of new enemies, the Ultimate Doom still manages to retain its own charm and lovely essence by just being simple and fun. So, what happens if some skilled, crazy mapper decides to make a megawad that would blow every other common Doom 2 WAD out of the park? Well, No End in Sight is here to accomplish such mission.

Created by @NaturalTvventy with the help of the extra creative (almost extroverted style) mapper @Xaser Acheron and the help of a Christopher Lutz, a classic mapper that focuses heavily on attention to detail. This is quite the trifecta of absolute mad men that have gathered all their skills and knowledge to give rise to this fantastic beast. No End in Sight is a megabeast that tries to recreate the classic mapping style of the Ultimate Doom while at the same time giving it a more modern touch that goes into the extra detailed zone and huge mapping extravaganzas. Like I said before, No End in Sight manages, 100%, to get into the likes of most modern Doom 2 megawads by being both super nice to look at, very deep in nature with extra layers of progression and also being extra hot when it comes to gameplay, emphasis on that last one.

Like the original, this megawad follows the classic scheme of having four full episodes, each one following a different theme alongside a characteristic style of gameplay. Episode 1, called quite nicely 1994 Ways To Die is a great homage the classic style of mapping back in the 90s and the simple yet quite attractive style of the gool old tech-base. This, just like the original episode of classic Doom, plays like smooth butter and has such a nice and simplistic style that it feels good on the heart. Episode 2 The Depths of Doom is our first launch into the great challenge of what’s to come. While still maintaining a simplistic and fairly short layout in each map, this one makes use of more interesting gimmicks and crank up the difficulty by a bit. Episode 3 Woe is our true first touch into the hot fire that this megawad is capable of bursting out in such short amount of time. Things get really hot both on the looks and the gameplay, making it looks twice as great and twice as hard. Finally, Episode 4 Blood Stained Earth, here, oh boy, here is where this megawad truly shines by a big jump. This episode is tangibly fantastic and magically frenetic, full of different variations of Thy Flesh Consumed styled maps that have as much detail as enemies. From beginning to end you’ll face some of the best custom maps that there are for the Ultimate Doom. While, they do look fantastic and are full of creative and nice design ideas, this last episode also comes to the point of becoming a pure nightmare, to the point that multiple times I categorized various maps from this episode as: Sadistic. Heck, they are going to make you bleed a big lot and by this point, E3 and E2 already started the job of leaving us sore. Definitively, the biggest downside to having such extreme, expandable and challenging maps is that despite having a golden quality, really start to become very annoying and troublesome. While I do admit that by this point E4 felt like an absolute pain in the ass, that still doesn’t change my overall opinion about the entire episode and the megawad itself, that being: is pretty good, man.

This megawad does standout for being quite hard in comparison to, well, any other megawad for the Ultimate Doom. With a very stepped difficulty curve and an absolute chad of a last episode, this map set is sure to make you clench your teeth in stress as you blast trough dozens of Barons that stand guard around a buffed pair of Cyberdemons. Yup, and that’s just the first part. All in all, No End in Sight plays like a big adventure through an expansive, new world full of demons in a big deal of variations, and nukage or boiling blood. No map feels the same and no maps stalls in quality, with almost every single one having an identity of itself. @NaturalTvventy did most of the entirety of mapping and you can easily start detecting the styles and quirks of each mapper. @Xaser really shines on this because of his very, uh, extroverted, quirky or simply put, unique style of mapping. While Christopher Lutz doesn’t seem to have made much maps by itself, I supposed it worked as support for the rest of the team.  One thing is for sure, both mappers did an amazing job that delivers both consistency in every single aspect and quite the nice repertoire of variation and bloody combats in all scenarios.

I can easily see why No End in Sight has such a high esteem and respect in the community, plus a Cacoward. Ultimate Doom megawads are not that common, but even better, a good, fascinating and unique megawad for the classic of classics is even weirder now a day. While this megawad does suffer from becoming too spicy by the last episode and quite large with an average duration of seven hours, it still manages to be completely worth it thanks to the masterful level design that goes like a ring to the finger with the general violent style of the gameplay. Like a rewarding journey through hell, nobody said it was going to be easy, but you better be damn sure that is going to be hot, deliciously hot. Bonus, I loved the end screen at the end of episode 4 with that ingenious pun. That’s already worth it, go play it. Go until there’s no end in your sight. Heh.

» Full review «

Wow, big review!! Thank you!! This is amazing.

4 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Wow, big review!! Thank you!! This is amazing.

Thanks to you for making this awesome piece of Doom history :)

Punishment (2020)

By @Redead-ITA

gORVrYI.jpg

We can all easily agree that Doom can be extremely hard if we want it to. Some custom maps are extra spicy when it comes to giving us a fairly, doomed challenge, if you wish. But what if we just want to have a good, simple, relaxed time? What if we just want to take a quick match before going to work, college or something else? Well fret no more, Punishment, that despite sounding like a sadistic map set, is here to give you some good minutes of nice, charmful entertainment.

Punishment is an episode 1 replacement for the Ultimate Doom, created by @Redead-ITA, a quite newly discovered mapper with some neat tricks under his leave. With Punishment, he managed to create something entertaining that above all else offers a nicely set that’s full of quality and a very solid understanding of the importance of map layouts. This map set could be described as an actual stroll on the park, minus the flourishing flowers on the roadside and the wind in our air, instead there’s a smell of plasma burnt skin and some roaring demons on the distance. That’s even better if you ask me. But on the same subject, this is a very simple yet effective episode thanks to the deliberate design choice of using a very low count of enemies with extra short maps that follow simplistic layouts. It works wonders specially because of that last one. These maps really have a nice structure. While the difficulty is very doable, is not just a simple: Demon on an empty room and nothing else. On the contrary, each map presents a very palpable layout that has more than enough structural design to have both in-depth positioning and intuitive progression, making each map feel fresh every time while still retaining the original style of both the mapper and the episode influence. This last one meaning that there’s lots of tech-bases and pretty much that, lots of tech-bases. While we all know and love this theme very much, even if it’s oversaturated as fuck, this map set still manages to feel fresh and crispy on every single level. While creativity and some special tricks make a big contribution to that, it is the surprisingly well-designed blueprint of the entire episode that truly make it standout among other newbie tries at this style of mapping. Starting with some really simplistic and fun maps, we also have some nice and spicy gifts along the way that are bound to make you wake up if you start to feel a bit sleepy.

These 9 maps are not only there for the looks, but they also have quite the interesting and different design choice when it comes to general gameplay. While it has become quite common to make fight-intensive and almost exhausting map sets now a days, this map doesn’t pretend nothing more but to be true to its roots and stay in a modest shape as much as it can without just being a simple rail-shooter. This still is Doom, but in a much merciful way. Most maps have a very low enemy count at just a few ten or even twenty, with the highest count being just over a hundred. This means that death is mostly just a long-lost concept, and fun is all that matters. Yet, how can you achieve fun with so little? Well, you’ve heard what the say: Sometimes less is more. It’s all in the level design and smart enemy positioning. While sure, is not the greatest achievement of mankind ever, it is a really decent map set that boast pride in the extra simplistic nature of its blood. Don’t get to comfy still, this still is Doom.

Punishment, I would say, is the perfect entry-level map set for a newcomer to Doom that still lacks the general skills needed to overcome the challenge of UV or beyond. Super-fast, super simple, super well-done. While you could say that the general quality of the complete episode stays on a decent level, each map delivers more than enough on its own limits by having two very important qualities on point: Layout and enemy positioning. I believe that if someone manages to get those two right then the overall quality of the entire WAD is going to greatly improve. Punishment successfully manages to achieve those two. Hence, my final verdict: This is fun.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

9 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

ayy glad to see you like it!

your reviews and wadazine are a nice thing to see man!

Good to hear that, mate! Thanks, glad you like both projects ;)

DBP25: Dead But Dreaming (2020)

By the Doomer Boards Community

vTJbHDg.jpg

Ah, yes. The Doomer Boards Projects, the monthly mapping event where a bunch of crazy mappers gather around to create something as unique as great. Each entry a new theme, each new theme a new adventure, and each new adventure comes with some awesome maps to play. This time around they bring something that’s both unique on its horror theme and also on its gameplay aspect. That last one being the true cake of this party.

Dead But Dreaming, spearheaded by @dmdr, is one truly unique Lovecraftian-inspired hellish adventure that goes through a plethora of amazingly dark-styled horror/creepy looking maps that showcase some really fun and nicely done layouts that are bound to the gameplay style of the whole map set. 11 maps plus 1 unknown (secret) map that all achieve a nice ambience thanks to the obvious use of lightning and new textures that embroil this cosmic themed map set. Some maps have quite the gothic style too, thanks to the use of some really good architecture that recreate both underground mansions and some nice brick castles that go underneath the mantle of shadows and horrors of unknown dimensions. As Lovecraft once said, the greatest kind of fear is the fear to the unknown, and this maps really achieve that feelings thanks to the general style of the playthrough that we are forced to do and the ultimately fantastic design in which we can see some terrific visuals, all thanks to a very tight yet evolving layout that’s cladded in darkness.

These mappers really caught my eye this time for their special contribution to a project that’s specifically done to be played on Nightmare, showcasing both their natural mapping skills and the understanding of skill level balancing. @dmdr, of course, directing the whole map set and also because his maps were by far the hardest ones, offering such challenges that the adrenaline rush was almost constant in every single encounter. @Big Ol Billy , as usual, bringing some amazing quality by delivering the introductory map and a very unique map that stands out for its rounded layout and high level of challenge. @Phobus makes an awesome level that works perfectly well to see the creepy, cosmic mood of the map set. @Jaxxoon R made a map that mixes some really well and quite violent styles. @morpheuskitami made quite the vertical undertaking by creating a very high-risk low-reward level that punishes you if you don’t have the skills or speed necessary to win it. @DooM_RO makes quite the sadistic map that evolves around darkness and lots of well positioned demons. @joe-ilya takes the cake for making me rage quit, eh, one of the biggest levels in the map set and with the most ball-busting ending that will truly test your skills and patience. @xvertigox does not lag behind either, creating a very intense and heavy level that pushes you to the limit, and finally, @Temp Unknow, but all you need to know is… unknown (it’s a cool, little secret map). All in all, everyone did a fantastic job that really shines in the gameplay department. I imagine that it is already quite the challenge to make a Lovecraftian-themed map, but it’s probably even harder to balanced around the most brutal skill level there is. Congratulations for achieving it, everyone.

Now, in one point we have the visuals, which are nice, yeah, but, the actual true juice of this map set is the fact that is meant to be played on NM difficulty; while yes, you can try it on UV, is just not going to work as intended. Personally, this is the first map set that I played that based around Nightmare, and it’s also the only one that I know by name. That’s indeed a very curious point that draw me to this project, apart from the Lovecraftian design choices. So, how exactly can you balance an entire map set around NM? Well, Dead But Dreaming shows you exactly how.

Expansive layouts that are both linear yet at the same time non-linear, all this by creating very detailed but cohesive maps that follow an intuitive blueprint that allows the players to run through, pretty much blindly, and still get to the necessary point to advance the map. As we all now, NM shines because of the monster re spawn, so to make use of this particular factor, the mappers created their maps in a way that everything feels connected, making you go through the same rooms but by different paths that all converge into a single line that should get you to the exit. All these words and all these explanations, but what’s the point? Well, the point, my dear Doomer, is that you are going to put your runner shoes and blast your way through a few dozens of enemies that are as scary-looking as deadly. Talking about enemies, here we have some new additions that are mostly modified versions of already existing demons. Like a mini-cacodemon that’s annoying as hell or a Vulgar, a more buffed-looking version of the Imp. Enemies now have a new coat and look as creepy as the maps themselves. All these factors converge into a single experience that can be summarized as: Berserker-like. All violence, all darkness, all rush. This is quite the heart-pumping map set.

While all these maps have some really nice quality and well-done balancing, it is, indeed, quite challenging. Some maps really take a big toll on your patience and are a true test of skill, specially when it comes to map navigation skills; so, you better have some good internal compasses and quite the masochist, because I’m pretty sure most people will die, like a lot. Still, difficulty is not necessarily a bad thing for an in all general qualification, after all, the DBP25 is an absolute blast. A beautiful nightmare.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless

3 hours ago, Andromeda said:

You tagged the wrong @xvertigox :P

I was wondering about that, but since the original thread just says ''vertigo'' without the X, I was not sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Soundless Mound (2018)

By @Marisa Kirisame

CTHzcou.jpg

Horror is something that has been part of Doom for a long time, probably since its original inception. One could argue that the classic Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 aren’t scary at all, sure, but we cannot deny the simple fact that their entire concept and premise does seem to cater around the concept of dread, terror and violence. Hellish demons fighting against humanity and only one single hero capable of stopping the lord of Hell itself. Terror on the back, action on the front. Yet, every once in a while, some of the awesome members of the community decide to take a turn and instead of making us, the horror, is now making them, the enemies, the true horror. Probably the first ever try at this was with the famous Alien TC, but now a days horror conversions aren’t as common as some other custom stuff from the community, yet, I would dare to say that when it comes to making Doom look scary, the community is absolutely fantastic at doing so; @Marisa Kirisame is one of those special artists that managed to make a game from the 90s be as scary as anything from the 2010s.

Soundless Mound is a horror TC for the lovely Doom 2 that makes the hellish 90s landscape turn into something straight out of early 2000s Japanese horror videogames, and when I say Japanese horror videogames, I mean the all mighty, king of horror, Silent Hill. The name itself is a take on the original title of this horror masterpiece, as you may have noticed just now. Soundless Mound tries to replicate the dread and mood of the original Silent Hill by creating a special eerie world where nightmares and reality collide into a single hellish dimension of madness, pain and lots of rust. Making look like a pretty much remake of the original Silent Hill but on FPS and 90s sprites, this TC truly shows some skill at directing towards the feeling of visual ambience, moody settings and fantastic sound design.

Being a single level, the map plays with the classic style of old school horror games; you’re lost in a big apartment complex with little to no clue as to what exactly you’re doing there, trying to find your way out by exploring each dreadful room that can contain little notes about the background or a useful item that will aid you in your quest for waking up from this nightmare. You’ll find yourself wandering in long corridor and tight, dark rooms with no sign of life but just the distant echo of a lost memory. The feeling of being in a place and at the same time not really being there. This game achieves that thanks to the fantastic crispy visuals that creates by making everything look dark, brown and even a little bit pixelated, PS1 style. Visuals are thing, and they are really important of course, but something that this TC really does extremely well is the use of sound to drive your senses. The original sounds effects from Silent Hill are present in every move; picking up items, your steps, the sound of distant monsters, the all mighty famous sirens and even the lovely sound of saving when you reach a save point. It has all it needs to recreate the feeling of perturbating moods and rusty landscapes that go beyond the bounds of sanity.

With new textures, new enemies, new sounds, new effects, a new gameplay style, new mobility and some really neat effects like loading times that recreate the classic Silent Hill loading or the awesome fact that you can pick up items and even read some notes about the dark story of the apartment, all that together make this experience one that truly immerses you in a very mysterious and fantastical world of darkness and full madness. Walking in abandoned alleys while the squeaking of monsters follows your back, and that awesome effect of the siren warning you of the incoming world of rust and hell. Soundless Mound knows damn well how to recapture the perfect ambience of a dreadful horror game, one that knows that the best way to scare someone is now through jumpscares, but immersion.

qlg1kYt.png  zQjASFm.png  U2ukQuR.png

A perfect match for those that look for something truly unique that gets under your nerves. Eerie, dark, mysterious and fun, this is one TC that shines for its nice direction on every single aspect that’s important when trying to achieve a horror atmosphere. If the PS2 and PS1 have Silent Hill, we can say that in a way, the GZDoom has the Soundless Mound. One that gains my respect for achieving so much in so little; a perfect nightmare.

» Full review «

Edited by Endless