Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Repugnus

[NEW UPDATE - v1.6] 2048 Units of /vr/ - Boom Megawad for Doom II

I love 200 and 300 minutes of /vr/, so this is a rocking hard boner maker for me!

Gonna check this asap! Gothic is a feel that i crave for on maps.

And dehacked guns, yeah! you hitted all the good tropes.

EDIT: @Repugnus i played through the first 6 maps and they are really good and really fun so far.

But about the guns, its just me or the shotgun is a bit slower than vanilla and the ssg faster?
I like the pistol shooting faster and the tweak made to the chaingun.

RL and PG seems to be mostly the same save for the visual enhancement.

and no gothic BFG and chainsaw? not even a beta unmaker edit that works like the original BFG?
That would fit the aesthetic of the project and add more charm to it ;)

Edited by P41R47

@P41R47 The author of 2048Guns just mentioned that he's working on an update which will fix some things and add a new BFG. I'll be sure to keep the download links updated.

I enjoyed all the process of making my map, getting feedback, fixing errors and playing other submissions. Great job fellow anons, the project came out great.

I've been on the periphery of the community for a very long time, first discovering Doom over 20 years ago, lurking for more than half that time. This contains my first published material, I've tinkered with a lot of this, and a lot of that, including level design, though I think that this is the first I've made which I can call good. I received a lot of very harsh criticism for most of my first drafts, but this criticism was also very fair, and very real, and I must very much credit my critics teaching me what I was doing right, and what I was doing wrong (such as only playtesting in GzDoom, a typical newbie mistake). Without my critics, my levels would have remained unplayable garbage.

I think that I've learned a lot from this venture, and I already have ideas for more levels.

I hope that you'll enjoy this megawad. A new version of 2048GUNS will be ready soon, for those who like GzDoom eyecandy, and an update to the DeHacked version for Boom players should follow soon after.

25 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

and an update to the DeHacked version for Boom players should follow soon after.

@ChopBlock223 Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I created the dehacked version of the weapons and I'm not sure there's much else I could cut from the decorations at this point. It really depends on what you happen to add, but you've gotta keep me updated about this sort of stuff! Unless you were planning to update it yourself, I mean.

Someone said the Shotgun was being a little slow, and the Super Shotgun was a little fast (on the Decorate end I've addressed that). For the BFG, you should be able to straight up leave it alone as just some replacement frames.

@ChopBlock223 Sorry, I just assumed they were talking about your version since they didn't specify. I'm pretty sure mine are consistent, though the sounds timings slightly altered, the action of firing and refirng should be identical to doom original. I would encourage anyone having doubts to test 100 shells with a stopwatch and compare it to vanilla, it's certainly the same rate. Moreover, I'm not even sure if I want to update it unless there's a real demand. The community project is done, I was hoping to be too.

Fair enough. I really have zero experience with doing DeHacked, would it be trouble to just replace the existing BFG frames, without changing its behavior at all?

1 minute ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Fair enough. I really have zero experience with doing DeHacked, would it be trouble to just replace the existing BFG frames, without changing its behavior at all?

As long as you pay attention to the states' "duration" values, the weapon behavior should be more or less the same.

If it's just replacing sprites then It should be easy enough to implement, I wouldn't even need to edit the dehacked, just the graphics in the wad. I'll be willing to do it, just make sure to keep me up do date on the latest version. I'm curious if what you intend to do to the chainsaw, if anything.

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

But about the guns, its just me or the shotgun is a bit slower than vanilla and the ssg faster?
I like the pistol shooting faster and the tweak made to the chaingun.

RL and PG seems to be mostly the same save for the visual enhancement.

and no gothic BFG and chainsaw? not even a beta unmaker edit that works like the original BFG?
That would fit the aesthetic of the project and add more charm to it ;)

i was talking about the dehacked work.

@P41R47 Okay, I just tested it again. It takes my Super shotgun 1:11 to fire 100 shells, It takes vanilla 1:11 too. It takes my normal shotgun 1:44 to fire 100 shells, same as vanilla. Both my shotguns have 3 frames of windup before firing, same as vanilla. As for the bfg and chainsaw, sorry but I don't make the sprites, I just wanted to adapt the original decorate mod. I'll try and be thorough as I gradually add the other weapons once chopblock223 finishes the sprites, but right now I'm as certain as I can be about the timings.

7 hours ago, hackfraud said:

@P41R47 Okay, I just tested it again. It takes my Super shotgun 1:11 to fire 100 shells, It takes vanilla 1:11 too. It takes my normal shotgun 1:44 to fire 100 shells, same as vanilla. Both my shotguns have 3 frames of windup before firing, same as vanilla. As for the bfg and chainsaw, sorry but I don't make the sprites, I just wanted to adapt the original decorate mod. I'll try and be thorough as I gradually add the other weapons once chopblock223 finishes the sprites, but right now I'm as certain as I can be about the timings.

Alright, that's great to hear. I don't have anything readily available as a chainsaw, so the original one with some smoother offsets/animations will have to do. The BFG should be done soon.

EDIT: Yes, @Khodoque, if you can throw the Zandro compat version together quickly, that'll be great.

Edited by ChopBlock223 : Quick response.

8 hours ago, hackfraud said:

Oh, well, it might be the smooth reload that made me feel it slower for the SG and faster for the SSG.

Thanks for taking the time to checking it.

Quick note, playing the wad with the DeHackEd version of 2048 might screw up some scripted sequences, making it impossible to get 100% kills in a few maps. I haven't played every map with complevel 11 enabled, but I noticed in MAP05 - Arrogance & Contempt that a trap with an enemy doesn't open towards the end because of a specific generalized door. Everything still works A-OK in complevel 9 though, just thought I would bring it up.

This is the first megawad I've been playing doing pistol starts only and it's been great so far. Only complaint I would have would be MAP21's hell knight segment, which was just not fun to go through. It's a fine map otherwise.

I've also been playing with the dehacked weapons pack on -complevel 9 and noticed the chaingun replacement's ammo can dip into the negatives if you fire with less than 4 bullets left. Dunno what could be done about that, if anything.

Edited by Trueblade

@Trueblade You sent me in a bit of a panic there, because I assumed you meant complevel 11. Sorry, but the DeHackEd weapons mod will not work properly in complevel 9, like it says in the op post and in the about file, It's fundamentally built around MBF. It seems like it can run in complevel 9 on prboom, but you'll experience problems like the negative ammo, and no trails on the plasma and rocket projectiles. The only way you can fix these issues is if you run in complevel 11, I'm kind of surprised it works at all on complevel 9.

I've spent a while testing all 32 levels and 6 extra levels of the megawad to make sure it works on complevel 11. I can say that all levels should be winnable with 100% kills and secrets on complevel 11, Except:

Level 05 has a single enemy that won't reveal. Seems to be due to a fast conveyor belt.

Level 07 has a 3 key switch, which only sometimes works for people on complevel 11. Mbf has known issues with 3key doors, but people are reporting different things, play at your own risk.

There are some others that are unrelated to complevel, they happen with both 9 and 11, l that I came across while testing. On maps 11 and 21.

These problems may be remedied in future updates, but if not just know that they are the only problems.

Edited by hackfraud

I've already sent Repugnus a fixed version of Map 07. The lock setup now isn't even close to as elegant, but it should work.

Echoing what others said, I had a great time contributing to this project and I feel we made something we can all be proud of, even if a few little issues remain.

Also, thanks to @Tarnsman for the stream - I'd only seen my maps played from pistol start before, and it's interesting to see a different approach that you can't really prepare for in a collaborative project. For example, I'd intended the horde of archviles in MAP31 to be an unwinnable punishment for going to the wrong square on the tic-tac-toe board, like the swarm of archviles in MAP07 of Valiant. But with a carried over BFG, it's not such a big deal.

Also, I disagree that MAP15 is Doom 64's The Spiral but a square: mine has longer side bits as well - totally different. Club Boom is obviously PS1 Doom's Club Doom but showing off Boom engine features. "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso Washing Machine Enthusiasts.

16 hours ago, hackfraud said:

@Trueblade You sent me in a bit of a panic there, because I assumed you meant complevel 11. Sorry, but the DeHackEd weapons mod will not work properly in complevel 9, like it says in the op post and in the about file, It's fundamentally built around MBF. It seems like it can run in complevel 9 on prboom, but you'll experience problems like the negative ammo, and no trails on the plasma and rocket projectiles. The only way you can fix these issues is if you run in complevel 11, I'm kind of surprised it works at all on complevel 9.

My bad. I should've specified it was in response to using -complevel 9 as a workaround for the levels with broken triggers on -complevel 11.

Very good community project overall, a bit mixed in quality but I guess that's fine in these kind of projects and nothing was really terrible (apart that one map in the extra wad). Usually I'm not a big fan of limitations but 2048x2048 it's allright and certainly better than going for 1024x1024. I think that the level progression and difficulty curve was done well, episode 3 delivers some nasty tough maps. I also thought it was quite interesting that few were used the shootable evil eyes like in Sigil. Here are some comments for the maps that I liked the most:

MAP05 a bit low on detail but the ambiance was good and there's and interesting tech machine in the church. It's rather trippy how the outer scenery at the start changes after you come back

MAP08 and MAP11 very fun and with good visuals and details

MAP13 basic gameplay but it's quite remarkable the little journey on the boats

MAP14 again the gameplay is basic but the theme is quite imaginative

MAP21 it could look a bit better but it's fine anyway. Difficult moment when the hell knights start teleporting. There's a bleeding midtexture at the exit

MAP22 cool classic look and I loved the layout with its verticality

MAP25 and MAP26 these were hard and very fun to play, I almost thought they were from the same author

MAP37 (MAP05 of the extra wad) I was enjoying this a lot despite I wasn't able to finish it. The PR trap with revs and the arch-vile is very trial and error. Not sure what went wrong when I picked the BSK

Have a pack of fdas recorded with prboom+ with cl9 2048vr_gaspe_fdas.zip

Edited by gaspe

I thoroughly enjoyed both participating and playing. I want to commend the mappers and to apologize for my map not being too up there in terms of quality. I hope I do better next time.

Had a fun time playing this!

On 9/7/2020 at 2:07 AM, EnragedEggplant said:

I thoroughly enjoyed both participating and playing. I want to commend the mappers and to apologize for my map not being too up there in terms of quality. I hope I do better next time.

Your's was Map05, right? I thought it was pretty neat! Two nice big cathedral fights and I liked the 

Spoiler

secret switch to get the plasma gun and the soulsphere hidden behind a glass pane with a dead marine on an altar, those were neat little details.

The wad has now been updated to v1.2! Here's a quick changelog for those who are curious:
-Softlock in MAP03 taken care of
-MAP05 & MAP07 slightly edited to work in MBF compatibilty (for the DeHackEd Guns)
-MAP21 Hell Knight encounter altered, scratched walls fixed
-MAP11 Hell Knights now teleport in when plasma secret is triggered
-Fixed an inescapable death pit in MAP24
-Fixed a softlock in EX02
-Stuck Pinkies in EX04 are now free
-BFG added to both 2048 Guns wads

Thanks to @hackfraud and @ChopBlock223 for the edits and the guns!