Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

RAVEN MIDI Pack II - Breathing Life Into "Deathkings"

1 hour ago, Darman Macray said:

Are you proposing a midi pack to redo the doom 1 & 2 soundtracks?

If I understand correctly, he’s proposing one to replace the duplicated tracks in the Doom 1 & 2 (and why not TNT? It probably needs it most of all) soundtracks. So your E1M1 music will still be safe (in fact, ALL of E1’s music will be safe) but you won’t have to listen to Waltz of the Demons three times before you finish the game.

Also, gonna throw out there how much I support this idea haha.

21 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

If I understand correctly, he’s proposing one to replace the duplicated tracks in the Doom 1 & 2 (and why not TNT? It probably needs it most of all) soundtracks. So your E1M1 music will still be safe (in fact, ALL of E1’s music will be safe) but you won’t have to listen to Waltz of the Demons three times before you finish the game.

Ah! That sounds like a fun idea!

Posted (edited)

Not redo. Fill the gaps, like here. Doom the Way Bobby Did (tm). They did a lot of song recycling in both Doom games.

An idea for Abbatoir. As always I'll fine tune it once I sit with it for a while, and feedback is welcome.

You're Made Out Of Meat01.zip

If Ruined Village is now open, would anyone like to collaborate on it? I don't necessarily want to claim it, but I like the idea of it being a group effort as long as the vision stays in tact. While I don't have a clear idea for it, I would approach it with a similar vibe as Bright Crucible from the first Hexen, but a little darker and more heroic sounding.

Also I'm open to collaborate on anything with anyone, I've never done a MIDI song with someone else and I think it would be a fun experience!

3 hours ago, Lippeth said:

If Ruined Village is now open, would anyone like to collaborate on it?

I was working on this but ran out of ideas and had other projects to work on so I dropped out, here's what I had if you're interested:

Doom

If not, I was gonna try and finish it off myself at some point whether for Ruined Village or the unused pile but I'm not fussy either way.

Its because I said 'no pressure' isnt it

(I totally like that idea of filling out music for Doom, doom 2, and TNT after this project, even a mini one for No Rest for the Living would be neat.)

I must say, I'm looking forward to this. I haven't played Deathkings in at least 15 years and I love the thought of original music for it. But since the point of the project is to get people to play Deathkings with the new music, I need to point something out for those who have never played it before. The original MAP54:Nave could never be legally finished. Two of the gear placement linedefs are tagged "Player Uses Line". The other two are tagged "Player Crosses Line", so you can't place the gears to open the exit. I kept waiting for Raven to fix this, but they never did. ZDoom and GZDoom addressed this with a compatibility fix, but I don't know about other ports. I doubt Chocolate Hexen would, and AFAIK, the Steam release is version 1.0. I don't know anything about the Unity port. So I think that limits playability to ZDoom and GZDoom. Does anyone know more?

A musical question: I looked through the thread and didn't see it, but this is the perfect place for it, so I have to ask: has anyone written a song for this yet called "Even in the Quietus Moments"?

@Jimmy I don't know if you have another project lined up after this, but I was playing the first Community Chest wad and noticed there are only eight pieces of music in it. I don't know if any of them are original.

7 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The other two are tagged "Player Crosses Line", so you can't place the gears to open the exit.

Actually, you can place them there, if you manually use puzzle items on lines with that special, it'll ignore whatever activation method it has and properly use the item in question regardless.

Also, update on the musical side:

Mutually Assured Squishage - V2.zip

I've made a very small change at most, I think I'll feel done with it now. I'd made this change quite a while ago, but I never sent it because I was a bit focused on doing other things.

There's still the midi for ice hold left for me. Hope I can get something for it to actually surface, I'm not confident in what I have nor where I want it to go.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:16 AM, Alper002 said:

Actually, you can place them there, if you manually use puzzle items on lines with that special, it'll ignore whatever activation method it has and properly use the item in question regardless.

The first time I played through Deathkings was the vanilla 1.1 version in a DOS window in Win95 or 98 and I couldn't place them. When I played it again, maybe 10 years later using ZDoom, I could place them. That's when I checked and found that ZDoom had added a compatibility fix. I was just pointing out that I don't know if other ports did the same thing.

46 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The first time I played through Deathkings was the vanilla 1.1 version in a DOS window in Win95 or 98 and I couldn't place them. When I played it again, maybe 10 years later using ZDoom, I could place them. That's when I checked and found that ZDoom had added a compatibility fix. I was just pointing out that I don't know if other ports did the same thing.

I wasn't referring to being able to do it in zdoom, I've beaten deathkings in chocolate-hexen, which definitely did not fix the issue you mentioned. I couldn't place in the gears when normally pressing use, and had to use the correct puzzle item manually from my inventory to actually place them.

The expansion is beatable no matter what version you play, it's just slightly less obtuse on zdoom I suppose.

I feel like I'm struggling with ideas for my song, it just feels restricting so I'll free up my slot.