Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GGRR

any wads that get little to no attention that you think deserve better?

Not too long ago, I found an E1M1 replacement styled after Doom 3 from 2011. It was the first map of a now abandoned E1 replacement project to turn it into a Doom 3 map pack for Doom1, essentially. This WAD is fantastic and I wish the developer hadn't of given up on the idea despite his old thread on the ZDoom forum being largely ignored and he grew disheartened over it. Oh what could've been. Doh well, play the WAD it's awesome! 

5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Bloodstain

That one almost got a cacoward, so it's not exactly overlooked. Plus it really wouldn't have deserved to get one just because of the hell levels - they're some of the most grindy maps I've ever played, with the difficulty being really high, but in a very cheap way.

A large single level map called Corrupt Priest is pretty good. Though looking at the recent-ish reviews, it breaks on later versions of GZDoom. 

** edit **

Seems to play fine in GZDoom 4.3.

Edited by smeghammer : tested HOM

1 minute ago, smeghammer said:

A large single level map called Corrupt Priest is pretty good. Though looking at the recent-ish reviews, it breaks on later versions of GZDoom. 

I also liked the prequel map, Sacrifice in Blood. They're both a little rough, but very cool for their time.

dark encounters

good morning phobos

alfonzone

those come to mind.

Edited by Bryan T

4 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

-Fragport, in the same vein of Eternal Doom and TNT: Evilution. Pretty good exploration maps.

-Interception, save for a little bug on map19, this megawad is a blast. Hope that now the sequel is getting release, someone fix it.

-Atonement, really good mapset, hope @Moustachio return to it after completing Interception 2.

-The Invasion, by Paul Fleschute. Really good complete megawad for Ultimate Doom. Some really fun maps here. Last episode feels rushed.

-Baculus and Sinergy by @Crunchynut44, both are awesome mapsets vanilla style. Hope Baculus get out of RC.
-Czechbox, already mentioned, but this mapset is awesome fun.
-Doom II: RELOADED, pretty much what would be if Doom 2 was made by teamTNT. Awesome mapset!
-Doom 404 by Capellan, the epitome of hard map without being an slaughterfest, and reduced to its minimun space. Marvelous and hard as hell.
-Mars War, take all that is bad about doom mapping and make something good with that. Fun and beautiful.
-Tangerine Nightmare, awesome medieval style with a new palette that gives it a peculiar and outstanding look.
-The Journey, limit removing mapset made by one man. Fun and really good. Needs more love!
-Three is a Crowd, this is the most imaginative and experimental project that come out for vanilla mapping in a long time. Love it!
-Urania, hate Plutonia Experiment? well, you didn't tried his longer, harder, and badass big brother. Perfectly mixes TNT with Plutonia and make something awesome.
-Doom: Damnation & Perdition, a match made in hell that makes Ultimate Doom fun again.

-Realm of Chaos, this is on par with the original Memento Mori, if not better.

This are my favorite, for sure.

I'm not the OP, yet I wanna especially thank P41R47 for giving me my next dose of WADs so I can fuel my addiction.

three is a crowd looks AMAZING! Although, it gets little attention. It seems like it could compare to WADs like BTSX or Scythe. It looks beautiful. I haven't played it, but the trailer looks amazing. Sad that it gets little recognition. 

For the sheer creativity on display, I always thought Confinement 256 should be more well known, but I rarely see it mentioned alongside the more well-known space-limited wads like Congestion 1024 and the various 2048x2048 mapsets.

Obligatory mention for end1.wad ("The Beginning of the End: Part 1"), and also its sequel that I don't rep nearly enough. Good oldschool awesomeness.

While on the topic of NT, his Awakening is one of the greatest single-map releases of all time, IMO.

34 minutes ago, Bauul said:

For the sheer creativity on display, I always thought Confinement 256 should be more well known, but I rarely see it mentioned alongside the more well-known space-limited wads like Congestion 1024 and the various 2048x2048 mapsets.

And while we're at it, the psuedo-sequel which is a -complevel 11, fully-realized big brother to my original mapset and idea!

47 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Obligatory mention for end1.wad ("The Beginning of the End: Part 1"), and also its sequel that I don't rep nearly enough. Good oldschool awesomeness.

While on the topic of NT, his Awakening is one of the greatest single-map releases of all time, IMO.

I have them on my folder of favourites, why i oversight them? Don't know.

Seriously! Those mapsets are pure gold. No End In Sight shows the maturity of NT mapping, and Awakening shows that there is a lot to come with even more technical progress.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

three is a crowd looks AMAZING! Although, it gets little attention. It seems like it could compare to WADs like BTSX or Scythe. It looks beautiful. I haven't played it, but the trailer looks amazing. Sad that it gets little recognition. 

Can confirm, it's the most unique (without being outright gimmicky) vanilla megawad i've played, maybe even the most fun. A lot of people seem to know about it here, it just doesn't seem to get talked about much outside of these forums sadly.

37 minutes ago, MattFright said:

it just doesn't seem to get talked about much outside of these forums sadly.

Its Reddit topic has no comments. I think it should be the next WAD to the Bethesda Console Port.

The “my first wad” threads always seem to be a dice roll - some get a few comments and reviews, but some get completely ignored - not even intentionally but just because wads only stage on page 1 of this section for a few hours before getting pushed back. (Arbitrary suggestion that “wad releases” and “works in progress” should be two different subforums goes here)

Every time I see a newbie wad thread go unresponded to, I die a little because I remember being that newbie. Sometimes I’ll give a cursory response to such threads like “hey, looks cool!” even if I’m in the middle of something else, just to try and subtly encourage others to acknowledge it as well. Even a vapid encouragement does way more for motivation than radio silence.

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

Custom title checks out.

(This joke has probably been made 99 times, but here’s 100 dammit)

Fragport is an oldie but a goldie, Always liked those maps for their duke3d/Ksutra sort of doom cute designs. These might just be old and maybe forgotten but good WADs but whatevs.

I personally have always like New World 2 and 1, while short and not full megaWADS (however is 23 maps together) I've always liked the designs of these maps, with some cool building and natural layouts for the time. Simple designs, but fun designs. These of course were predecessors to NeoDoom which is fine more or less.

For 2005, Suspended in Dusk by Espi is a fun one. Very interesting design and detail for a 15 year old WAD.

Hell ground is another older WAD I forgot about, but has some pretty impressive maps and visuals for being a Boom Wad, somewhat Eternal Doom esque as I think its the same author. One cool thing from this WAD is map06 features a switch related combo lock, something I had made myself a little while earlier, interesting to see it was used in another WAD as I never recalled seeing any examples like that, this one is setup pretty clean.

In some mood of Old 1994 Wads (:

Sweet - By James Bearden.

Viper - By Ash.

Techbase - By Brandon Reinhart.

Ultima 1 - By Jon Charlson (Chaff)

Hades' House of Horrors (Part 1) - By Robert Zubek.

Under Sea - By Brian Plumb.

The Deimos Subway - By Neal Ziring.

Pure Evil - By Doug Ryerson.

Xenomorph 'The complex' - By Daniel Griffiths.

Pie - By James Ojaste.

OrigWad - By Jeffrey Bird (The first Wad ever!).

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Abcess, six sprawling oldschool style levels filled to the brim with hitscanners, very fun!

Do you know if this is vanilla/chocolate compat? Looks right up my alley!

18 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The “my first wad” threads always seem to be a dice roll - some get a few comments and reviews, but some get completely ignored - not even intentionally but just because wads only stage on page 1 of this section for a few hours before getting pushed back. (Arbitrary suggestion that “wad releases” and “works in progress” should be two different subforums goes here)

Every time I see a newbie wad thread go unresponded to, I die a little because I remember being that newbie. Sometimes I’ll give a cursory response to such threads like “hey, looks cool!” even if I’m in the middle of something else, just to try and subtly encourage others to acknowledge it as well. Even a vapid encouragement does way more for motivation than radio silence.

I feel this in my bones.

The annoying part, arguably, is that I see all these new WADs coming in and want to playtest them, mostly because they appeal to me but also because of a sense of solidarity with fellow new mappers. But then I have to juggle that with work and all my other projects!

Speaking of something that flew under the radar, there's my own first map from last year, which I'm now about to get onto idgames. I'm glad to have received some good feedback then, but it wouldn't hurt to have more while I labor over newer maps.

Recent plays I'm fond of but haven't seen much talk about:

• Dominion of Madness by Mechadon (an early speedmap, lots of cool bits)
  • Uplink by Katamori (really cool use of CC4 textures, a cyberspace theme that deserves a revisit)
  • Hydrogen by Jacek Nowak (excellent KDitD-inspired Doom II blasty fun)
Edited by PasokonDeacon

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Do you know if this is vanilla/chocolate compat? Looks right up my alley!

It used to be. ;) It's been a long time since I've been through it, even though I need to upload v1.2 that I did months ago to correct some minor errors. I would say that probably most of it is still vanilla compat, but there's a few VPOs here and there thanks to added detail and long sight lines. Ergo, limit-removing.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, P41R47 said:

-Fragport, in the same vein of Eternal Doom and TNT: Evilution. Pretty good exploration maps.

-Interception, save for a little bug on map19, this megawad is a blast. Hope that now the sequel is getting release, someone fix it.

-Atonement, really good mapset, hope @Moustachio return to it after completing Interception 2.

-The Invasion, by Paul Fleschute. Really good complete megawad for Ultimate Doom. Some really fun maps here. Last episode feels rushed.

-Baculus and Sinergy by @Crunchynut44, both are awesome mapsets vanilla style. Hope Baculus get out of RC.
-Czechbox, already mentioned, but this mapset is awesome fun.
-Doom II: RELOADED, pretty much what would be if Doom 2 was made by teamTNT. Awesome mapset!
-Doom 404 by Capellan, the epitome of hard map without being an slaughterfest, and reduced to its minimun space. Marvelous and hard as hell.
-Mars War, take all that is bad about doom mapping and make something good with that. Fun and beautiful.
-Tangerine Nightmare, awesome medieval style with a new palette that gives it a peculiar and outstanding look.
-The Journey, limit removing mapset made by one man. Fun and really good. Needs more love!
-Three is a Crowd, this is the most imaginative and experimental project that come out for vanilla mapping in a long time. Love it!
-Urania, hate Plutonia Experiment? well, you didn't tried his longer, harder, and badass big brother. Perfectly mixes TNT with Plutonia and make something awesome.
-Doom: Damnation & Perdition, a match made in hell that makes Ultimate Doom fun again.

-Realm of Chaos, this is on par with the original Memento Mori, if not better.

This are my favorite, for sure.

Good call on Doom 404! I've been playing it the last couple if days and enjoying it a lot.