Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Tall (over 128 units) Textures?

Quick question, folks: is there a port out there that supports textures taller than 128 units? Maybe all of them, do I don't know -- but I can't recall if I have seen any tall textures.

To all you engine-coders: this is a feature I'm sure I could take advantage of (especially when used in conjunction with self-referencing sectors).

Thanks. A follow-up: are there any available .WADS that take advantage of this?

Not only does Zdoom allow tall textures, it also allows scaling of textures so you can create hi-res textures from your tall graphics (xtheater has some of these too). This is not done in the same way as some 3d accelerated ports do it, but by a simple addition to the data stored in the texture1 lump, without ruining compatibility with existing texture1 lump modifications.

Cool. Oh, the things one can learn on the glorious Doomworld forum -- high textures, texture scaling, wavelength is a moron...it's an incredible melding of minds (but not in a sissy Star Trek way).

Where might I find this xTheater wad? (I assume it's somewhere on the archives, but dammit, I'm a busy man with no time to browse around...) Anybody have a link?

If I'm not mistaken it is a tech demo WAD for DeepSea, found at the editor's site (sbsoftware.)

Yeah, you can get it from the DeePsea home page ( http://www.sbsoftware.com/ ) in the downloads section. Make sure you read the texts. It requires Zdoom b33 or later (as it says on the DL page) and you will probably need to increase the heapsize too. There are some really pretty large textures in there.

And XTheater's not a bad piece of mapping either. Nicely portrays a real-life movie theater.