Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Your opinion on sound pitching?

This short note on the random sound pitching from General Roasterock's old video about the busted Unity ports pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

(Timestamped for your convenience)

It just sounds annoying to me, personally.

It's fine. I can see some people not liking it though, and to be fair, it was removed in later versions of the game.

That said, some sounds are definitely more cut out for it than others.

Like many tools in an artist's palette, it can add depth to the world, if used with a careful hand and subtle touch.

@Rainne
I was about to upload that until found out you already did. Underrated comedy gold, indeed.

Weapon sounds: No
Monster & player sounds: if it was tweaked to like 25%-10% of it's current range, then that would be neat.

It is funny. Even through I have added an option in my source port to disable it, I still keeping it on

I like it, particularly with mods which have higher quality sounds, thus they don't suffer as much downgrade from downpitching.

Vanilla and Chocolate Doom have disturbing sound pitch, but Eternity Engine have correctly working one and i always have it on. Crushers sound much cooler for example.

I'm not a big fan of blanket sound pitching. I'd dig if I could have it on only for specific sounds though, for example enemy pain and death sounds which can be pretty hilarious when awkwardly warbling at weird pitches. I with mankubus when it comes to preferring Duke 3D's out-of-the-box sound pitching.

Yes I do, personally I prefer GZDoom's pitch shifting with Perkristian's HD Doom sfx.

Most people I've talked to don't prefer pitch shifting however.

I know many people dislike it, but I appreciate the variety it brings to the game's sound scape. A cacophony of pitch shifted Revenant screams is always just that bit more interesting than them all being identical. 

Pitch shifting can be a valuable way to add variety to a soundscape, and it's still used today, but on its own it's pretty artificial sounding to my modern ears. I prefer it off.

On 5/19/2015 at 11:53 AM, Doomkid said:

My main gripe with the shifting is when they pitch upward and sound like squeakey little smurfs. A smaller pitch variation, and only being able to go down say, a semitone at most would have sounded much better but still offered the variety that pitch shifting introduces.

I'm way too used to having it off. Furthermore, I feel the range of the pitch shifting is a bit too much. Other games like Heretic, Hexen, Duke 3D, and Serious Sam tend to reign it in better, but Doom's is just silly sounding to me.

I like it for the enemies as it adds variation but i don't really like it for the weapon sounds. Since it affects both at the same time i leave it off.

I actually like these 'weird' settings, like sound pitching. I call it the 'voice-crack option' :D.