Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daerik

dsda-doom guide [Usage, recording demos, and some extra info]

I have a question regarding demo compatibility and walking under infinitely high things.

PrBoom has the option to enable "walk under solid hanging bodies" (options/general/last page). When I enable this and use the -complevel option (3 for Ultimate Doom in my case), I can still walk under bodies that would otherwise have blocked me. Does this break demo compatibility? What is the recommended value of this setting for creating valid speedrun demos?

Complevels have priority over compatibility options from the menu. Complevel 3 should behave exactly like Ultimate Doom (so it does not break demo compatibility). If you feel like these hanging bodies would block you, can you show it somehow? Which WAD, map, area?

@vdgg No particular map in question. I created a test map out of curiosity, but now see that when recording a demo PrBoom automatically disables this option. Whereas specifying complevel (without recording) does not. So that answers my question.

It might be a silly question but what does the extended demo format do in PRBoom plus? I ask this because I disabled it when I recorded a demo which is now on DSDA.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, beast said:

PrBoom has the option to enable "walk under solid hanging bodies" (options/general/last page). When I enable this and use the -complevel option (3 for Ultimate Doom in my case), I can still walk under bodies that would otherwise have blocked me.

Set the "Default Compatibility Level" to the one you want ("Ultimate Doom" in this case) in the in-game menu and and then restart the program. Using a -complevel in the command line is sufficient when recording a demo, but may not be when just playing normally.

And yes, using extended format for demos is completely safe, has no downsides* and is extremely convenient for yourself and anyone who watches your demos.

* Well, unless you have renamed your wad files, but why would anyone do that?

out of boredom I tried the latest version, and I'm quite happy of all the changes i've noticed so far.

but I cant put back the original status bar with our loved doomguy face anymore. was the hotkey changed? I switched on HUD with F5 as usual, but the default key "^" is no longer showing the basic bar anymore. how to?

I'm used to the original bar to have an idea any moment of all the ammonition I can count on. thats the only real lack in the other hud settings in my opinion

Edited by blob1024

28 minutes ago, Starduster said:

@blob1024 just use the key for changing the screen size, either + or -.

that was exactly what I was missing, and couldnt find

browsing all menus once more, I found the + / - but only the "minus" actualyl works for me. nonethless, that was what I was looking for, thank you

still, in v 2514 both reducing and enlarging were avaiable, so for example, to switch from HUD and normal bar I got to pass through all hud settings all over every time somehow

for how much time i got now, its enough, ill solve the headache some other time :)

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me, I used viddump on my prboom-plus, it recorded my demo perfectly, but the video had no music, is that normal?

Edited by :[Lol 6]:

On 1/2/2021 at 12:23 AM, Shepardus said:

SDL and Portmidi do not work with viddump. Try Fluidsynth.

will this be fixed? I like portmidi sound much more.

2 hours ago, blob1024 said:

will this be fixed? I like portmidi sound much more.

I wouldn't count on it, I'm guessing it's a limitation of how PrB+ needs to capture the audio and put it in the video file. But with the right soundfont you can get Fluidsynth to sound very similar to Portmidi (on Windows). I'm using one called "Scc1t2.sf2" that works quite well in my experience, though there are others that may work just as well or even better. There's a line in the PrB+ config file that lets you specify what soundfont to use, surrounded by some other Fluidsynth configs.

I've got a write up of better midi settings in this guide. It'd be a better discussion to have in the source port subforum though.

Do any of you folks know where I can get the most recent version of GLBoom plus? I can only seem to find PrBoom, and not the gl version.

@Adamast0r, it depends on the version of PrBoom+. There is a glboom-plus.exe in the same folder as prboom-plus.exe in all elder versions, including 2.5.1.4, 2.5.1.5 and some builds of UMAPINFO 2.5.1.7, but in the recent versions of DSDA-Doom and PrBoom-Plus 2.6um, there is no glboom-plus.exe. Instead, you need to go to Settings -> General and change the option 'Video Mode' to OpenGL.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:01 PM, Dimon12321 said:

@Adamast0r, it depends on the version of PrBoom+. There is a glboom-plus.exe in the same folder as prboom-plus.exe in all elder versions, including 2.5.1.4, 2.5.1.5 and some builds of UMAPINFO 2.5.1.7, but in the recent versions of DSDA-Doom and PrBoom-Plus 2.6um, there is no glboom-plus.exe. Instead, you need to go to Settings -> General and change the option 'Video Mode' to OpenGL.

I found this useful to me as well. Apparently, the same is true for the Linux version of PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5, which I was using.

I'm somewhat new to PrBoom, which I've recently started to focus on, being more familiar with Chocolate or Crispy. Therefore, I have three more noob-like questions:

What is cndoom's mouse movement option exactly?
How do I enable the advanced hud with all it's features, as seen in the screenshot above as, when I cycle between screen sizes it only shows the minimalist hud?

And I'm having issues with the sound, mainly it getting cut off and not playing in full length. For example, killing a shotgunner and immediately picking up an object, such as his shotgun, will nullify the player's firing sound. I've tried to change the sound channels and midi emulation options, to no avail.
I know this is a lot but, if anyone in this thread has some pointers to give, I'd really appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, Adamast0r said:

I'm somewhat new to PrBoom, which I've recently started to focus on, being more familiar with Chocolate or Crispy. Therefore, I have three more noob-like questions:

What is cndoom's mouse movement option exactly?
How do I enable the advanced hud with all it's features, as seen in the screenshot above as, when I cycle between screen sizes it only shows the minimalist hud?

And I'm having issues with the sound, mainly it getting cut off and not playing in full length. For example, killing a shotgunner and immediately picking up an object, such as his shotgun, will nullify the player's firing sound. I've tried to change the sound channels and midi emulation options, to no avail.
I know this is a lot but, if anyone in this thread has some pointers to give, I'd really appreciate it. 

1. I think it's called "Carry fractional tics", you can find it on the third page of Options->General. Basically it makes mouse movement feel smoother, not sure on specifics.
  2. Once you're at the minimalist hud, press F5 repeatedly until you get the HUD to your liking.
  3. If I'm not mistaken you're describing vanilla, hence expected behaviour. No way to change that as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for enlightening me Andromeda.

And, as for the sound, I think that has to do with complevels, so it's not a real issue. It was just me being dumb.

On another note, I have a new question. That version of Pr on the original post has that cndoom's mouse option, which is a great adiition however, it lacks a couple of options that GLBoom + has, such as a textured map display and find remaining monsters.
I was just wondering if there's a way I can either add the cndoom mouse movement to my "regular" version of GLBoom +, or if it's possible to add the few missing features to this fork of PrBoom +, as it already contains the option of running on OpenGL.

Edited by Adamast0r : New question.

Hey,

I am kinda a noob about those stuff so I have a question. My pwads does not work. I download dsda-doom, unzip it to a new folder then I put my iwad and pwad in it. When I try to open a pwad (say sunlust), it only opens doom 2. I drag the pwad onto the dsda-doom.exe to open, just as I do while using prboom+. Is there anything I am doing wrong or missing? On the former version, I couldn't even save my game so maybe this is an compatibility issue with my PC.

2 hours ago, Shotfun said:

Hey,

I am kinda a noob about those stuff so I have a question. My pwads does not work. I download dsda-doom, unzip it to a new folder then I put my iwad and pwad in it. When I try to open a pwad (say sunlust), it only opens doom 2. I drag the pwad onto the dsda-doom.exe to open, just as I do while using prboom+. Is there anything I am doing wrong or missing? On the former version, I couldn't even save my game so maybe this is an compatibility issue with my PC.

Just create a textfile in that folder with this:

dsda-doom.exe -iwad DOOM2.wad -file sunlust.wad

And save it as: Sunlust.bat
After that, you should be all set.

6 hours ago, Adamast0r said:

Just create a textfile in that folder with this:

dsda-doom.exe -iwad DOOM2.wad -file sunlust.wad

And save it as: Sunlust.bat
After that, you should be all set.

That did work! But unfortunately custom skies are not loading this time. I dunno man, this is ridicilous... Thank you for your help anyways!

EDIT: -complevel issues, I solved it.

Edited by Shotfun

5 hours ago, HitelbeVettBor said:

I like the new DSDA-Doom port but I have a question about it. Does the new extended HUD with the Max Totals make an UVmax run TAS?

No. There is an advantage to using it (especially for UV Respawn runs where it's often impossible to accurately tell whether you've reached 100% without counters), but it's generally accepted as non-TAS. Quoting from https://dsdarchive.com/intro:

Advanced HUD - available in many ports, an advanced HUD is usually capable of showing things like monster counts (kills and how many are alive) and the in-game-time. For a regular speedrun this doesn't provide a huge advantage, and is more often used as a convenient way to see what the time is. For max runs (and associated categories) it can give an advantage varying from small to huge. In these cases, it is recommended to include that information in your text file ("Uses advanced HUD").

15 hours ago, Shepardus said:

No. There is an advantage to using it (especially for UV Respawn runs where it's often impossible to accurately tell whether you've reached 100% without counters), but it's generally accepted as non-TAS. Quoting from https://dsdarchive.com/intro:

Thank you. :) I wonder about the specifics. How big the map should be to be considered as way too much advantage?