Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daerik

dsda-doom guide [Usage, recording demos, and some extra info]

3 hours ago, HitelbeVettBor said:

How big the map

To be honest, it's not about the size of the map. Just think about a small map with a very annoying teleporter that sometimes one monster will be stuck inside. This is the situation that the kill count really helps. Anyway, right now, it's allowed in the rules, so you can freely choose whether using it or not.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, GarrettChan said:

Anyway, right now, it's allowed in the rules, so you can freely choose whether using it or not.

Thanks. :) Just one more question. Should I avoid the "max totals" option when using it?

1 minute ago, HitelbeVettBor said:

Thanks. :) Just one more question. Should I avoid the "max totals" option when using it?

I don't think you need to turn it off as DSDA-Doom fixed the monster resurrection problem already, unless you like to see the K & M version of it depending on your taste. You can safely assume that when it shows all the kills, you have all the kills.

The only exception could be that extra spawns in MBF maps after loading a game due to that's not a thing in the savefile (though, could be fixed already as I'm still using an old one), but for doing runs, save is not allowed, so that's not a real problem.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:11 AM, Mr. Kong said:

And, as for the sound, I think that has to do with complevels, so it's not a real issue. It was just me being dumb.

Kinda unrelated to the topic but I'm having this sound issue as well. Not sure it has anything to do with complevels, since it also happens on default comp. Don't really have this issue with -complevel 2 in other source ports so this one is a bit of a headscratcher (or I'm just being dumb, that is also a possibility).

Edited by Mike Stu

I have a question. I've never recorded a demo before and was wondering what am I doing wrong in this picture? When ever I load it up I warp to MAP09 of Doom 2 but not the PWAD I want to play. 

helpe.png

When I post a demo normally can I add a video with english commentary in it? It would be neat if a play button on the DSDA site would lead to a YT video with such a commentary when I do runs in the future. :)

Ok, I'm obviously missing something very dumb, but I've downloaded the dsda-doom-0.24.1 zip file and extracted the contents into a folder. Where is the .exe such as prboom-plus? I have no idea how to progress. 

For context: I usually use a DOS Command Prompt to type things such as 'prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file...'

26 minutes ago, MathsDevil said:

Ok, I'm obviously missing something very dumb, but I've downloaded the dsda-doom-0.24.1 zip file and extracted the contents into a folder. Where is the .exe such as prboom-plus? I have no idea how to progress. 

For context: I usually use a DOS Command Prompt to type things such as 'prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file...'

The .exe file is called dsda-doom

2 hours ago, Andromeda said:

The .exe file is called dsda-doom

Ok, that's what I would expect, so why can I not see it in the folder? Have I downloaded the wrong folder?

I can only see:

Folders called '.github', 'docs', 'patch_notes', prboom2, soundfont, spec and some files called 'gitattributes' 'gitignore' '.rspec' and 'readme.md'. 

Thanks, Shepardus. I've got it working now! 

I have noticed one strange bug though. When I am capturing video footage using XBox Game Bar in Windows 10 while playing back a demo in camera mode, the camera cannot be controlled very well once I start video capturing (but I can move the camera around absolutely fine before that). So it seems that XBox Game Bar is interacting in some way. I have resorted to going back to PrBoom+ to capture camera footage, because the bug does not occur then. 

I think I'm missing something with the demo script. I'm trying to run sigil and i'm putting the map in as E5M1 but it keeps starting me in Hangar. I tried experimenting with other maps but found that more often than not it still put me in Hangar. I think ExMy format for the map ID doesn't read properly? Am I doing something wrong?

7 hours ago, ragerat said:

I think I'm missing something with the demo script. I'm trying to run sigil and i'm putting the map in as E5M1 but it keeps starting me in Hangar. I tried experimenting with other maps but found that more often than not it still put me in Hangar. I think ExMy format for the map ID doesn't read properly? Am I doing something wrong?

The -warp parameter for Ultimate Doom levels should look like "-warp 3 1" for E3M1, with a space between the episode and map number and no "E" or "M."

I saw a speedrunner using a crosshair which can be turned on in the HUD settings of DSDA-Doom. Does this make my run a TAS if I use it for my advantage?

23 minutes ago, HitelbeVettBor said:

I saw a speedrunner using a crosshair which can be turned on in the HUD settings of DSDA-Doom. Does this make my run a TAS if I use it for my advantage?

No, crosshairs are all allowed (except for the TAS setting that puts the crosshair on top of what the autoaim is pointing towards).

Hello,

I believe I read that you could use a custom status hud in your demos as long as they are in Doom Pallet, but I want to double check just in case before I do it. (I just want a little more spice while I'm running the maps over and over) The last thing I want is to have a good run and it gets denied because I was silly and didn't double check the rules. 

8 hours ago, LordHydra said:

believe I read that you could use a custom status hud in your demos as long as they are in Doom Pallet, but I want to double check just in case before I do it. (I just want a little more spice while I'm running the maps over and over) The last thing I want is to have a good run and it gets denied because I was silly and didn't double check the rules. 

Currently not allowed. Not just custom status bar HUDs, but also anything that isn't distributed with the specific wad you're running.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, Daerik said:

Extra information;

Vertical mouse movement toggling

Glides require vertical mouse movement to execute, but leaving it turned on all the time can be difficult for regular play.

dsda-doom has some support for toggling it on and off.

Under keybindings, assign 'no vertical mouse' to a button, this will toggle it on and off.

Under options > mouse sensitivity, move the vertical slider to atleast 1.

Viddumping

Viddumping is used to convert demo files to video files, which you can then do normal video file things to, such as uploading to youtube.

Grab this, it has a .bat file and ffmpeg.exe, and extract them both into your dsda-doom folder. Additionally make sure you have your iwad and any pwads included. Drag your demo file onto viddump.bat, and it'll play the demo back (sometimes faster, sometimes slower), and when it finishes it'll make a .mp4 file named the same as the demo name.

It'll use your game settings so keep that in mind if you don't want things like the extended hud showing up on the recording, or if you want the music on.

Some video players may also have issues playing back the output file. In my experience VLC and the latest version of MPC-HC work fine.

Dude, how come the demo play back will be sometimes faster and sometimes slower ?

The default settings are viddumping in H.264/AVC video codec and Opus audio codec with .mp4 file as the container.

The encoding speed of the H.264 video codec is mainly dependent on the -preset values and the processor capabilites. Other things like resolution, CRF value, bitrate also determine the encoding speed, but its mainly dependent on the two factors mentioned above.

The valid presets are ultrafast, superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow, and placebo.

Default preset is medium. So, imo, if one is using the default settings, the user should get almost consistent speed for viddumping every time the video is viddumped. I get a consistent 6.0 to 6.5 fps viddumping speed when encoding with these settings.

Didn't mean to oppose you tho.

Edited by Classic SSG Enjoyer

Got a question here about the weapon slots. I cannot figure out which one the super shotgun is. I've re-done my preferred weapon arrangement a few times now, first trying 3, 6, 4, 7, 5, 2, 1 (meaning, Super Shotgun/Shotgun, Plasma, Chaingun, BFG, Rocket Launcher, Pistol, Chainsaw/Fist) thinking this would be like the standard buttons for weapons as Doom had it. But it doesn't seem to be arranged like that, with 1 through 7. When I ran out of ammo on the chaingun, it switched me to regular shotgun when I had super shotgun available. So what is the full 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 weapon slots as the way DSDA Doom defines it?

I'm trying to set mine up as such:

When out of ammo I like it to primarily switch to my SSG if I have it, then Plasma, then Chaingun, BFG, then finally rockets since it's a chance to face rocket myself when it auto switches. Thus I have it so far back in the arrangement. Finally, the worthless weapons like pistol and chainsaw.

6 minutes ago, Sirius104x said:

Got a question here about the weapon slots. I cannot figure out which one the super shotgun is. I've re-done my preferred weapon arrangement a few times now, first trying 3, 6, 4, 7, 5, 2, 1 (meaning, Super Shotgun/Shotgun, Plasma, Chaingun, BFG, Rocket Launcher, Pistol, Chainsaw/Fist) thinking this would be like the standard buttons for weapons as Doom had it. But it doesn't seem to be arranged like that, with 1 through 7. When I ran out of ammo on the chaingun, it switched me to regular shotgun when I had super shotgun available. So what is the full 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 weapon slots as the way DSDA Doom defines it?

I'm trying to set mine up as such:

When out of ammo I like it to primarily switch to my SSG if I have it, then Plasma, then Chaingun, BFG, then finally rockets since it's a chance to face rocket myself when it auto switches. Thus I have it so far back in the arrangement. Finally, the worthless weapons like pistol and chainsaw.

In terms of weapon numbers, 8 is chainsaw, 9 is SSG. These don't exactly correspond to keys pressed where 3 and 1 do double-duty.

Thanks plums. I did wonder if SSG was a completely different slot. I actually had the thought that perhaps it was arranged like this: 1 fist, 2 chainsaw, 3 pistol, 4 shotgun, 5 ssg, 6 chaingun, and so on. For the weapon switch order. But turns out its 1-7 and then 8, 9 added. Thank you. Now I'll get it set right.

One other tiny, tiny thing which bugs me and I don't think there's a solution to it. But if I bind 3 to SSG, it switches to SSG but then pressing 3 again does not switch to Shotgun. However when I bind 3 to shotgun, then it will switch to SSG but it will always start on Shotgun first when pressing 3 even if SSG is available. It's very minor. Maybe there is a way to get it to toggle SSG first, and then Shotgun, with key 3.

Edit: never mind, somehow I got the behavior to stop. I re-assigned my weapon keys and assigned Shotgun to 3 and now when I press 3 it goes to SSG first if it's available. Not sure if re binding my keys did it or re-arranging the weapon preference slots. But everything is set now.

Edited by Sirius104x

Query that I cannot find in the search. If I have say hundreds of demos in a folder for the same map, how do I locate my personal best? I know the time but not the file as they are all demo001, demo002 etc.

12 hours ago, ChaingunChaCha said:

Query that I cannot find in the search. If I have say hundreds of demos in a folder for the same map, how do I locate my personal best? I know the time but not the file as they are all demo001, demo002 etc.

This won't help for demos you've already recorded, but if you add a "$" at the end of the -record parameter, dsda-doom will automatically rename your completed runs with the time (see v0.25 patch notes). For the demos you already have, I'm not sure there's any better way than just approximating how large the demo file should be from the time that you know, sorting your demos by size to find possible candidates, and -fastdemo -levelstat each of them to see if it's the right one.

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

if you add a "$" at the end of the -record parameter, dsda-doom will automatically rename your completed runs with the time

Thanks for this. It will help a lot in future maps.

Fortunately, I've found the file I needed for this map through some educated guesses.

How can I make the batch file use a specific IWAD, PWADS, and Game configuration file? I want it to use the file I have for 320x240 resolution