Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpammerMike

Weapon system in Doom 3

Some of you may have (or better have) played Halo already. The weapon system in there allows for one sidearm and one other gun plus a couple varieties of grenades to be carred at a 4 count limit. Should Doom 3 have a similar weapon system where you have to sacrifice one gun for another in a given situation? It would make the game more challenging to say the least and would also lend some creedence to it's realistic nature.

Yes it would make it more difficult but personally i dont think that doom is that type of a game even since they are going for realisum. From what I know Doom 3 is not like that.

Two words: No way!
That kinda weapons system is just not fun - I want to be able to have several weapons at my disposal at once and I don't give a shit if it's not realistic.

Games are not meant to be realistic, they're supposed to be fun above everything else.

Games are not meant to be realistic, they're supposed to be fun above everything else.

Indeed - if you want realism, try the thing called "real life". Perfect realism. Not very fun or thrilling though.

I shouldn't go around saying such heretical things without stating why. My reasoning for doing something like that is to make a stronger coop version of Doom 3. If you are limited in your armament, it'll require a more squad based type of gameplay that can still carry the Doom style but be a bit...different. Imagine. You've got a guy with a light assault rifle (or it's equivalent) and a pistol who plays point. You've got another all purpose guy and maybe someone who's carrying the rocket launcher and the BFG. I'm not suggesting a TFC type gameplay...not at all. The way Doom 3 has been made, gameplay and atmosphere-wise would not allow for this to be the same bland flavor of squad-based game. And there should be a squad version of the game you can play in single player implementing bots. Of course, they should, for those who enjoy the concept of solitary gameplay, leave a version of the single player game that is untouched. That's the method to my madness.

Here's the thing: HALO was an awesome game, it I liked it so much that it was hard to point out anything bad in it. And I actually loved that weapons system. However, it worked for that game because it was an all out war. If you ran out of ammo you looked for another weapon on the ground. Doom isn't like that. In Halo, you picked up whatever gun served your purpose, and it when it ran out you looked for the next best gun. In Doom, you've got your guns and you decide what ammo to expend in what situation. What I'm trying to say is that Halo had a good system, but it just wouldn't work in Doom's genre.

Fredrik said:

Indeed - if you want realism, try the thing called "real life". Perfect realism. Not very fun or thrilling though.

I think this says it all.