Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dranyan

Eleven Zero - 32 Maps Megawad (WIP) V1.5

27 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Nope. Happens in Woof too.

A mystery then. The "pit"appears to be sector 472. I cannot see why that would happen, and I just did a quick playthrough using Risen3D, while paying attention to the

area in question, and did not experience this issue.

That being said, I noticed that the teleport in sectors were 36x36. If Dranyan makes then 30x30, or smaller, then that should fix the

issue.

I played through all three maps of v1.4, and they were fun. UV difficulty was challenging, but not too hard. Maybe just a little reliant on surprise chaingunners, but they're not so bad that it felt unfair. I did find myself eating a revenant missile and dying pretty often because I ran into a map obstacle (like mushrooms and grass), so that was a bit annoying. I don't know if that was intentional. But other than that I had a good time and I'd play the rest of the levels when they're done.

Here's some small things I noticed along the way that I screenshotted. I don't remember which images are from which maps but I'm sure you'll recognize them.

- Some weird texture here:

Spoiler

p3AFnbe.png

- You can walk into this alcove (I thought it was a secret at first)

Spoiler

kiOvoHi.png

- The pillar on the left here doesn't go down like the others

Spoiler

v7sp8VG.png

- I killed myself here because my rocket hit the invisible wall I didn't know was there. Maybe there's a clearer way to do this. There's setups like this in Sunlust for example, except with the enemies facing you, so you could immediately tell there's an invisible wall.

Spoiler

GzoOKsk.png

- This switch was very hard to see (and this is after I hit it so the eyes are glowing). The torches and lighting suggest there's something there but I still passed by it several times before I finally found it.

Spoiler

sjB4SL6.png

On 9/6/2020 at 11:02 PM, adamadam said:

In map 1, in one area, monsters, and doomguy too, can fall into an inescapable pit that i'm not sure if it was meant to be (hell knight is below ground level):

Hide contents

On 9/7/2020 at 7:45 AM, maxmanium said:

Nope. Happens in Woof too.

I didn't put any pit at all there. Well, weird enough i actually have encountered this kind of problem several times before. I assume my UDB is buggy or something. Also weird enough, this kind of problem usually get fixed randomly as i constantly make change to the map.

4 hours ago, SCF said:

Here's some small things I noticed along the way that I screenshotted. I don't remember which images are from which maps but I'm sure you'll recognize them.

- Some weird texture here:

Reveal hidden contents

p3AFnbe.png

- You can walk into this alcove (I thought it was a secret at first)

Reveal hidden contents

kiOvoHi.png

- The pillar on the left here doesn't go down like the others

Reveal hidden contents

v7sp8VG.png

- I killed myself here because my rocket hit the invisible wall I didn't know was there. Maybe there's a clearer way to do this. There's setups like this in Sunlust for example, except with the enemies facing you, so you could immediately tell there's an invisible wall.

Reveal hidden contents

GzoOKsk.png

- This switch was very hard to see (and this is after I hit it so the eyes are glowing). The torches and lighting suggest there's something there but I still passed by it several times before I finally found it.

Reveal hidden contents

sjB4SL6.png

Ah, thank you for the report.

- Kinda weird, pretty sure i've aligned that particular texture before. I assume it got messed up after i accidentally pressed auto align button (it happens sometimes).

- That alcove isn't a secret. I guess i simply need to add impassable flag there so no one will be able to go through it

- Ah yeah, that pillar-- i'm pretty sure i removed the tag by accident when i was trying to remove damage effect from the sector.

- Well, i already expected someone will get killed because of that invisible wall. Good idea, maybe i'll make those monster face the player in the beginning.

- Several people have pointed that out before, i'm already planning to redesign the room, don't worry.

However i won't fix those problems for a while. I'm actually already tired of releasing patches way too often, so i think it's a good idea to just wait a little bit longer, wait for people to point more problems, and fix them all together once for all.

Giving this a try. Definitely deserves some more attention.

Also, I know this bug has been reported before, but still.

Spoiler

1479267764_11-0revenantbug.png.91d99f62e4dc1ee60bff29b183e88b8e.png

2 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Giving this a try. Definitely deserves some more attention.

Also, I know this bug has been reported before, but still.

Reveal hidden contents

1479267764_11-0revenantbug.png.91d99f62e4dc1ee60bff29b183e88b8e.png

Thank you!

Yeah, that particular bug annoys me as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it. I also find it weird how it occurs only on certain sourceports

1 hour ago, Dranyan said:

Thank you!

Yeah, that particular bug annoys me as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it. I also find it weird how it occurs only on certain sourceports

I can only think of two possible reasons, and maybe the two are linked. Something to do with the nodesbuild or those teleport sectors being 36x36 pixels. I suggest making them 30x30 instead, or even triangular.

Version 1.5 has been released. Oh jeez... I'm tired of releasing a new patch every few days. But certain problems need to be fixed as soon as possible, so whatever---

Changelog :

Spoiler

Version 1.5
- Improved visuals in MAP01
- Fixed the bug which makes player/monsters may get stuck inside a floor in MAP01
- Improved visuals in MAP02
- Removed several monsters on easy and medium difficulty in MAP02
- Realigned some textures in MAP02
- Fixed several bugs (there are many of them, i don't wanna list them all here) in MAP02
- Improved visuals in MAP03
- Changed several monsters angle in MAP03
- Fixed the bug which makes the decoration clips through the wall in MAP03
- Fixed the bug which makes the pillar doesn't get lowered in MAP03
- Fixed the bug which makes monsters can walk through fences

- And more...

Download here :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/18k1l8ovpd6u7wu/Eleven+Zero+v1.5.rar/file

Hey Dranyan, i really like the concept of this project, but for some reason I think that your description of the back story could be a really good introductory map. Like being in a uac facility, seeing all the scientists and soldiers, and then all hell break loose and you are sent through the time machine. Maybe not even an introductory map, maybe just a section separate from the first map that works as an introduction. I think it could be a really great way to start a megawad and make the back story part of the game, too.
Kinda like what skillsaw do for ancient aliens map01, but maybe better.

Edited by P41R47

I've played your wad. Good job, keep going. Here are my thoughts(This is only my opinion of course):

1. I kind of felt, that chaingunners drop clips change is unnecessary. Although it might be used somehow in the future maps.

2. There is wrong texture in linedef 6447 Map 03. Because in Boom/MBF keycards and skull keys can open different doors and activate different switches, maybe it would be better to use skull key textures in map 03.

3.I agree with @P41R47 , but with different reason. Map01 has this second map of a megawad feeling, that there should be a map before it.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, hawkwind said:
On 9/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dranyan said:

Thank you!

I can only think of two possible reasons, and maybe the two are linked. Something to do with the nodesbuild or those teleport sectors being 36x36 pixels. I suggest making them 30x30 instead, or even triangular.

I think this might be related to nodebuilder. I've encountered similar problems with my own wad(AFAIK Risen3D has its own nodebuilder). Although I don't have any proof to back it up.

10 hours ago, Kain D. said:

I think this might be related to nodebuilder. I've encountered similar problems with my own wad(AFAIK Risen3D has its own nodebuilder). Although I don't have any proof to back it up.

It is nodebuilder related. This has been discussed with the OP. Risen3D uses a modified version of Glbsp by default, but can use ZDBSP if invoked.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, P41R47 said:

I think that your description of the back story could be a really good introductory map. Like being in a uac facility, seeing all the scientists and soldiers, and then all hell break loose and you are sent through the time machine.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, Kain D. said:

.I agree with @P41R47 , but with different reason. Map01 has this second map of a megawad feeling, that there should be a map before it.

First of all, thank you for testing my wad and giving it a feedback :D

Actually-- I have already tried to make an introductory map before releasing the wad. However, i failed, the map somehow looks dull and boring, i feel i'm not good enough at creating tech-based theme map. So in the end, i decided not to include it for now. But, i will to remake it and include it to the wad. 

I kind of felt, that chaingunners drop clips change is unnecessary. Although it might be used somehow in the future maps

I simply don't want players to get chaingun way too early. I would rather put one in the each map somewhere and make players look for it.

There is wrong texture in linedef 6447 Map 03. Because in Boom/MBF keycards and skull keys can open different doors and activate different switches, maybe it would be better to use skull key textures in map 03.

Hmmmm... Okay, noted. Gonna fix it in the next update :)

I think this might be related to nodebuilder

Yep. @hawkwind investigated it further for me and he confirmed that the nodebuilder is the problem. I had been using ZenNode this whole time, and planning to change it to a better one. Hopefully there will be no bugs like this anymore.

3 hours ago, Dranyan said:

Actually-- I have already tried to make an introductory map before releasing the wad. However, i failed, the map somehow looks dull and boring, i feel i'm not good enough at creating tech-based theme map. So in the end, i decided not to include it for now. But, i will to remake it and include it to the wad. 

I am also not good with tech-base theme. Maybe you can bypass it by combining base theme with other theme.

Yep. @hawkwind investigated it further for me and he confirmed that the nodebuilder is the problem. I had been using ZenNode this whole time, and planning to change it to a better one. Hopefully there will be no bugs like this anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. This problem is very rare to occur and easy to fix, but you had this luck to happen in your first map. BTW I'm using DeepBSP and it also happens there.

I've tested on LZDoom 3.86a. It runs very well despite some visual flaws using OpenGL renderer (the skybox, for example). Only has problems running with gameplay mods like ZRift; not so serious, but it affects monsters' position, performance and objects' appearance (can make them invisible). 

On 9/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, Kachakeño said:

I've tested on LZDoom 3.86a. It runs very well despite some visual flaws using OpenGL renderer (the skybox, for example). Only has problems running with gameplay mods like ZRift; not so serious, but it affects monsters' position, performance and objects' appearance (can make them invisible). 

Regarding the skybox getting messed up by OpenGL, there is nothing i can do about it unfortunately. At least according to what Dragonfly has told me, OpenGL renderer messes sky texture with offsets different from the default, and otex sky textures (which i use in these maps) require more offset to render properly (i meant if i make them use default offests, they are also going to get messed up anyway).

Regarding ZRift mod thingy, i don't think i'm the one who shoud fix those problems, i meant-- if using a mod somehow messes completely fine maps then i think the problem is the mod itself, not the maps.

But anyway, thank you for trying it!

You're welcome. 

BTW: I understand if you can't fix some issues I mentioned; as a game tester, however, I have to mention things like that not only because I hope a fix, but because that way those who want to play map mods along with gameplay mods can take those flaws in mind if they don't want to test or experiment them. 

Hello guys, i'm sorry for bumping this thread. But i just want to make an announcement, considering several people (mostly on Discord) have asked me about what happened to this project.

Oh yeah. Firstly, i would like to thank The Doom Master Wadazine for having this wad in their #5 edition. This project gained more attention thanks to it.

1. What happened to Eleven Zero ?

> Eleven Zero is not dead, it's just progressing really slow. I'm seriously busy with real life (and it stresses me out, to be honest). But don't worry, i still constantly work on the megawad. Roughly estimated-- the next update will be released in four months. (Yeah... Sorry for that)

2. What will be added/changed in the next update ?

- Adding new maps MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, and MAP07 (Note : MAP06 and MAP07 will take place in Episode 2, so the theme will be about Ice Age)

- Adding an intro area in the beginning of MAP01

- Adding custom pistol sprites (replacing the default ones)

- Adding custom monsters

- Changing main menu soundtrack

- Changing main menu graphics (because the current ones suck lmao)

- Adding custom fonts

- Improving MAP01, MAP02, and MAP03 (the main focus is MAP02, because it's the worst among the first three maps.)

- Fixing several known bugs

- And more...

By the way, i'm trying to make this megawad as hard as Sunlust (or maybe just a little bit easier than it). So yeah-- good luck playing it :P 

I currently don't need any kind of contribution at this moment. But if you wish to help this project in any way, you can just let me know :)

11 hours ago, Dranyan said:

I currently don't need any kind of contribution at this moment. But if you wish to help this project in any way, you can just let me know :)

I'm always down to help with DEHACKED work if needed, or DECORATE\EDF stuff for cross-port compatibility.

Edited by maxmanium

10 hours ago, Dranyan said:

By the way, i'm trying to make this megawad as hard as Sunlust (or maybe just a little bit easier than it). So yeah-- good luck playing it :P

OR... maybe focus on balancing and flow of combat encounters to make sure they're satisfying and not just difficult? "Good luck playing it" really sent up a red flag for me; that mindset indicates a very slippery slope. I really liked the first three maps on HMP, but I am not a fan of difficulty for difficulty's sake. So I would ask you don't try to grade your level progression on an arbitrary "as hard as X" curve. Don't be cruel to the player just to seem more "hardcore".

2 hours ago, maxmanium said:

I'm always down to help with DEHACKED work if needed, or DECORATE\EDF stuff for cross-port compatibility.

Thanks. But i could do the DEHACKED myself, i think i understand it enough. I don't know with DECORATE/EDF though, but-- isn't DEHACKED compatible with eternity and zdoom-based sourceports anyway, therefore DECORATE/EDF isn't really necessarily ? (correct me if i wrong...)

2 hours ago, 666shooter said:

So I would ask you don't try to grade your level progression on an arbitrary "as hard as X" curve. Don't be cruel to the player just to seem more "hardcore".

Alright, good point. I will be also focused on other aspects, and put difficulty matter aside.

I also think it would be a great idea to make a huge distinction between easy, medium, and hard difficulty, so there will be flexibility for players to suit themselves based on their own skill.

But yeah-- anyway, i'm happy to hear you enjoyed the first three maps :) Hope you're looking forward for the next maps.

9 minutes ago, Dranyan said:

Alright, good point. I will be also focused on other aspects, and put difficulty matter aside.

I also think it would be a great idea to make a huge distinction between easy, medium, and hard difficulty, so there will be flexibility for players to suit themselves based on their own skill.

But yeah-- anyway, i'm happy to hear you enjoyed the first three maps :) Hope you're looking forward for the next maps.

I definitely am. I really loved the theme of this Wad, with the time travel and the level design thus far has been enjoyable. Can't wait to see the pirate levels!

Thanks. But i could do the DEHACKED myself, i think i understand it enough. I don't know with DECORATE/EDF though, but-- isn't DEHACKED compatible with eternity and zdoom-based sourceports anyway, therefore DECORATE/EDF isn't really necessarily ? (correct me if i wrong...)

IIRC both ports have different DeHackEd compatibilities, though both do indeed support it to a large extent. A DECORATE/EDF addition would be good, but the decision is up yours.

There will be features that won't be compatible with prboom plus like the episode menu selection of Eviternity or something like that? 

Edited by thearcaalex

18 hours ago, Dranyan said:

DEHACKED support in those ports is quite solid, but sometimes it just doesn't work. For example, I made an interactive decoration (a hanging marine you can kill) that replaces the Dead Lost Soul slot, which doesn't work properly in GZDoom for some reason. So sometimes it's just little things like that.

These are some illegally good-looking maps. Tested with GZDooM (4.4.2).

Some issues I encountered:

MAP03: I lost quite a bit of time finding this switch:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201026_150739.png_compressed.jpg.4e68042280178fce06d0bf5bc7c01f2d.jpg

MAP03: This sector does damage even though it's not lava:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201026_150958.png_compressed.jpg.f982f7e5b7f7b890369715b7c79daa30.jpg

MAP03: I pressed this switch and it teleported me like it's supposed to do, but when I came back to the switch and tried to press it again I got this message:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201026_151539.png_compressed.jpg.613fd1c6bcd9900d31de0ced5f8eb35f.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 4:25 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

IIRC both ports have different DeHackEd compatibilities, though both do indeed support it to a large extent. A DECORATE/EDF addition would be good, but the decision is up yours.

On 10/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, thearcaalex said:

There will be features that won't be compatible with prboom plus like the episode menu selection of Eviternity or something like that? 

Ah yeah... Like snowfall effect in Eviternity which is an extra feature for zdoom ports or something like that ? For now, episode menu selection is the only zdoom-required feature that i would add to the wad. I currently have no plan to add any other features which aren't compatible with prboom+

On 10/26/2020 at 7:47 PM, maxmanium said:

DEHACKED support in those ports is quite solid, but sometimes it just doesn't work. For example, I made an interactive decoration (a hanging marine you can kill) that replaces the Dead Lost Soul slot, which doesn't work properly in GZDoom for some reason. So sometimes it's just little things like that.

I see. I will make sure to ask for your help if i really want to use DECORATE/EDF stuff. But for now i'm fine. Thanks for the offer, i appreciate it.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, SP_FACE1 said:

These are some illegally good-looking maps. Tested with GZDooM (4.4.2).

Some issues I encountered:

Noted. I'll fix them in the next update, though i have no idea how the third issue could occurred. But don't worry, i'll figure it out eventually :) Thank you for reporting it.