Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hodapp87

Am I the only one that plays Doom in the dark?

Just as a point of curiosity, does anyone else play Doom in an otherwise really dark room? The walls of the room light up with whatever's happening on the screen . . . so, essentially, your physical surroundings take on the the color of what's shown on the screen, such to the point that your entire room flickers with a gunshot or fireball, and everything glows red when you get hit really hard.

Not dark but dim, as in lowering the shutters during daytime. But at night I keep a light on, but it's not close. I prefer to be able to see the keyboard just in case.

I play all PC games in the dark... but being forced to use headphones makes it much less frightening. Doom 64 on the other hand had a few frightening moments. You had to have the lights off to see the screen, and the ambience really helped bring you into the game. Very good stuff.

I can only play doom without the light and when the sun goes down - lucky me, the computer is in the one room with 8 windows - oh, and its a small room too. Fun, fun. Like Lizardcommando said, that glare is horrid.

OOOOH...sounds sexy...

I used to do that when i was a kid with SNES doom. It scared the crap out of me. Somehow (it must be the fact that monsters always face you) SNES doom is really creepy...plus they did a fantastic job porting the music

I can play when it's light, but that takes the ambience and the atmosphere. I really like playing at night, when there's no glare on the screen and no one much is around.

lol.. I turned off the lights last week and it was too scary for me :(

I preffer it when there's some comedy on tv or something so I'm not scared :(

For me, playing games in the dark is a neccessity. There is nothing thats gets you more into a game than a nice dark room with head phones on for PC games. Or a dark room with the volume up load in the case of when I play the ps2.

I never played DooM with lights on, so if anyone says doom won't work when in bright light, I'd believe it:P

-- ADDED so not to corrupt my postcount:P

Reading (or DooMing) in the dark make your eyes go tired and can cause headaches, not much more.

I don't like if the room is completely dark because you can't see the keyboard but generally it is darker = better for me. Darkness is the only better thing in winter comparing to summer IMO. I hate it when I can't see a think because of the sun.

DooMer 4ever said:

I don't like if the room is completely dark because you can't see the keyboard but generally it is darker = better for me. Darkness is the only better thing in winter comparing to summer IMO. I hate it when I can't see a think because of the sun.

Yeah that glare on the screen is so annoying, makes you feel like a Vampire don't it?

As long as I can see the screen, I don't mind: bright, dim, whatever. If I play in total darkness though, I am quickly reminded that I am not quite a touch-typist - I need at least a little visual feedback from the keyboard.

Reading? "Reading really does suck ass!" - Officer Barbrady. No offence intended to anyone who lives in the beautiful town of Reading, of course.

ravage said:

Blame my parents. I blame them for everything. So should you. :P

OK. I blame ravage's parents for the chronic underfunding of the British public transport system over the last forty years. And for all those ass-hats who say Doom sucks.

Grazza said:

OK. I blame ravage's parents for the chronic underfunding of the British public transport system over the last forty years. And for all those ass-hats who say Doom sucks.

Ok, now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves there, neon archie. :P

magikal said:

It says 'reading does damage sight', right, that's the last time I do any of that then.

How are you planning to continue posting on these forums then? :P

DooMer 4ever said:

You don't need to be literate to post on the forums...i figured that one out a loooong time ago :P

DooMBoy said:

You know, top to bottom, left to right?

Hey, whatever boats your float. :P

DooMer 4ever said:

Doh. I don't know, I haven't figured that one out yet.:(

I always play in the dark, with just a little light coming from the open door to the landing. Absolutely essential for colour and atmospheric purposes.

When I go home for christmas, I am going to play doom64 in the dark with my stereo hooked up. that will be fun.
I usually play in the dark, and then it hurts my eyes when I get hit with a fireball (when I do) because of the brightness.. ouch