Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP! Final Version RELEASED, now on idgames!

Congratulations on the release, everyone! And thanks for leading the charge Doomkid, this was a great concept and tons of fun to work on. Looking forward to Rudy's next adventure!

hell yeah, this project looks excellent :D I also appreciate that you made a new thread for the release, that makes it a much nicer experience as a reader

Map01, Storming The Bayside Base, by Doomkid

UVMaxed, Zero Deaths

GZDoom

Real fun start to this mapset. Very cool layout. One gripe is that I would have liked to get to that island out in the ocean, but the impassable lines were too close to shore.

I was instantly in love with the assault rifle, and used it a lot, since that was obviously what you wanted us to do, given all the ammo for it. That thing mowed down Psycho Imps with aplomb, and those suckers were no joke. I suffered a couple hits from them and I didn't want any more. The Plasma Guys were also deserving of respect, but I was able to deal with them pretty easily. The Chaingunner was scary, though, and accounted for most of the damage I took.

I noticed some sounds from Osiris -- the cackling of the Jackal Imp and the thumping sound of a closing door. At least I assume they're from Osiris, one of my all-time faves. Just so everyone knows, all the Osiris assets except for the outstanding Jeremy Doyle OST is free to use. Which is a roundabout way of saying I was very happy to encounter the sounds here.

I didn't check the beta thread to see if I posted comments on this map the first time I played it. I hope I enjoyed it as much then as I did now. :)

As for bugs, none found, but there are many misaligned rock textures, too many to take pictures of. Most of them were in tunnels. Here is one example that was easily seen from a distance;

Spoiler

kP1uuR2.png

Some of the misalignments were very close to being correct but were given away by a visible seam.

There was also this bit of shadowing that I really liked but which didn't seem to make sense given the position of the light fixture:

Spoiler

2K25YRU.png

So that's it for the nit-picking. Really minor stuff. Apart from that, this is a good-looking, fun map with a lot of shooting. 

Thanks for your invitation to contribute, and the work you did to finish it all - it’s great to see it come together at last!

Lol, this project is such dumb fun... this feels like a modern interpretation of something like "Doom 2 Extreme Gold" or "All Hell is Breaking Loose"; beefed up & faster weapons, silly new enemies, music tracks taken from pop culture, and maps with a simple, curated appearance without dwelling on perfect monster traps. The only thing missing from this project is...

CHGGA0.png.c7a4603c46616f5e26345df602e8ecf9.png

Map02, Initial Hurdles, by @sluggard

UV, Pistol Start, Max Kills, Zero Secrets, 2 Deaths

GZDoom

The fun continues in this bite-size map. You get a hot start -- I love hot starts! -- and once you survive the initial hitscan-heavy skirmish, your mission is to infiltrate a small mountainside base. I really liked sluggard's work on the stairs and the option to take different paths. I chose the high path first. 

The action is steady throughout, and the threat level is high. I took a blast from a Shotgunner that dropped me to 43%, and was never able to fully tank up after that because there is no armor on this map! Hitscanners + zero armor = "Danger, Will Robinson!" But it's not like you're facing hordes, and as luck would have it, both of my deaths occurred at the Red Key fight, when I decided it was a genius move to jump in the water and fight all those Rocketmen teleporting in when I was at 31% health. I mean, it's what Plato would do. ;D

And of course, on top of those Rocketmen, there were Chaingunners teleporting to the level above. 

Luckily, there was an easy strat for beating this fight, and I took it on my third try.

I was disappointed in myself for missing the secret, when I later found out where it was and saw the subtle clue as to its whereabouts. I had done the exact same thing I've seen people do in my maps; test one or two spots, get no secret, and then pass on checking the rest. Oh, if only players were more thorough! Which just goes to show that when you think you're a badass, Doom has a way of hoisting you on your own petard.

Also worth mentioning is how Map01 led into the start of Map02. I, of course, did the same thing in Shotgun Symphony, and given the sound of the cackling Imp, I wouldn't be surprised if me and Doomkid were both inspired to do this by that all-time classic, Osiris. I look forward now to Map02 leading straight into Map03.

And I can't leave without applauding the use of sound tubes connected to teleport closets. Kicking it oldschool!

Map03, Further Infiltration, by @DavidN

UV, Pistol Start, Max Kills, 4 out of 6 secrets, Zero Deaths

GZDoom

This is a fantastic map, a really fine example of doing modernized oldschool. It looks great, has a sweet, looping layout which is artistically signaled by the repeated use of curved stairways, and has the kind of Swiss-Watch structure where everything meshes together perfectly. Take, for example, the rather intricate Green Armor secret at the beginning that I thoroughly enjoyed, or the very complicated rocket launcher adventure, which could easily qualify as a secret if the sector wasn't already tagged for other purposes. I found this to be a very impressive bit of architecture.

This map starts where Map02 left off, so now I'm confident that each map will lead into the next, which I very much like since it gives a sense of continuity. On the downside, it encourages continuous play, and I'm presuming the gimme Soulsphere at the end is a gift for continuers.

The beginning is much more sedate than that of Map02, but you soon encounter more significant fights. However, the incidental combat offers enough pressure to keep the player alert prior to encountering the bigger traps.

There was only one truly big fight, after you get the Blue Key. That brawl took me down to 4% health, but being a clever boy, I had already found the secret Zerk, but decided to save it in case something like this happened. But woe is me, the door only opened once, and then closed forever! Oh, you dirty bugger, DavidN! ;D Luckily, this map is well stocked with health, though armor is a bit scarce. It's also loaded with ammo, and if there is any room for criticism, perhaps the health and ammo could be somewhat reduced. I left at least 1 or 2 of those 100-bullet items behind, along with probably 3 shell boxes, and being a keyboarder, I tend to be very sloppy with ammo owing to my shaky directional control.

But perhaps that's the mapper's intent, as this comes off as an exploration-focused map with slightly less emphasis on pressing the player, combat-wise, than the first two. The exit battle seemed especially easy and could be defused since the trigger lines for its various monster closets are well-separated, allowing the player to first release Blood Demons and then a couple Revenants, one of which was on a high perch and couldn't support the other. I mention this because I remember the map from my first playthrough months ago, where I seemed to trigger everything at once and had a hard time, maybe even dying, but this time it was a mild stroll. 

If there is a desire on the part of the mapper or team to increase the difficulty of this map, one way would be to add monsters, and make them tougher, for example Chaingunners and Rocketmen, who so far have caused me much more grief than Plasma Guy and Flamethrower Guy, who can't seem to lay a glove on me, though I'm sure their time for glory will come. More Toxicacodemons would be nice as well, since I didn't seem to have enough good targets for my rockets. It's up to you guys, of course. I enjoyed the map all the way through except for the exit fight, which to me was the only disappointing battle, and really, that impression grew after I had completed the map.

All in all, though, this is a superb map, nicely detailed, with excellent progression and good fights. The mapset so far is incredibly fun, though I'm wondering what it's going to be like when the hammer really comes down. Btw, great midi from Donkey Kong Country. I like how it had a sense of menace to it.

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

This is a fantastic map, a really fine example of doing modernized oldschool. It looks great, has a sweet, looping layout which is artistically signaled by the repeated use of curved stairways, and has the kind of Swiss-Watch structure where everything meshes together perfectly.

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

If there is a desire on the part of the mapper or team to increase the difficulty of this map, one way would be to add monsters, and make them tougher, for example Chaingunners and Rocketmen, who so far have caused me much more grief than Plasma Guy and Flamethrower Guy, who can't seem to lay a glove on me, though I'm sure their time for glory will come. More Toxicacodemons would be nice as well, since I didn't seem to have enough good targets for my rockets. It's up to you guys, of course. I enjoyed the map all the way through except for the exit fight, which to me was the only disappointing battle, and really, that impression grew after I had completed the map.

I agree so much with the first part of this quote, I had a similar thought from the moment David submitted it, almost exactly 1 year ago now. As for the second part, a Toxicaco or two dwelling down in those dark slime pits near the RL seems to make perfect sense!

On 9/4/2020 at 7:22 AM, Scuba Steve said:

The only thing missing from this project is...

CHGGA0.png.c7a4603c46616f5e26345df602e8ecf9.png

A little offtopic, but where did you get that image from? I remember I saw the same chainguns in a J2ME shooter, but I don't remember its name.

Not to get too far afield but I’m sure I saw them in 2dmmaps and other ancient ZDaemon wads too.. I’ll have to find the original source at some point, I’ve always loved those Chainguns.

Those chainguns originally came from the 3D Alchemy graphics library by Justin Fisher.

Just played a few maps in.   Right on the title screen got a predator vibe, which was then reinforced.  Loving this nicely detailed map set with changed up enemies and weapons.   Some lift or door sounds and maybe some sounds in music fake me out thinking there's still enemies around heh.   There's just a little eerie subtle similarity to some enemy sounds.   Rocking soundtrack.

@Doomkid

I'll preface this by saying that i've lost interest in doom mapping for the time being.

now, good job on getting this out the door! I can't honestly remember if i did all the changes i wanted to my map. I sure hope so. :-P going to take a look now.

e1 - if it is okay at this point i'll go through the map and see if can remove the boom triggers without requirering a massive overhaul.

Edited by NeedHealth

1 hour ago, Theperson said:

In the first map is the track Covenant Dance from Halo CE or am I insane?

On jeudi 3 septembre 2020 at 2:44 AM, Doomkid said:

Finally, here are the various MIDIs used in this mapset:

Hide contents

Title - Inca Roads by Frank Zappa
Intermission - Intermission MIDI from Dwango20
Story - Jack the World by GWAR
01 - Covenant Dance from Halo
02 - Goin' Down the Fast Way from Rise of the Triad
03 - Nuts n' Bolts from Donkey Kong Country 3
04 - Map12 MIDI from DwangoX
05 - Hooligan Rhapsody from Beavis & Butthead
06 - The Awakening by Les Claypool
07 - Zombie Remix (D_COUNTD).mid by Viscra Maelstrom
08 - Record Skipping from Beavis & Butthead
09 - Fear Factory from Donkey Kong Country
10 - Venus Nickel-Iron Mine from Descent
11 - Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
12 - Cacophony of Asian Donut Shops by AD_79
13 - Mysterious Forest from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
14 - Rumble in the Jungle by AD_79
15 - Upper Brinstar (The Jungle Floor) from Super Metroid
16 - When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin
17 - The Graveyard from Heretic
18 - Deadly Town by Jimmy
19 - Death Wind from F-Zero
20 - Master of Puppets by Metallica
21/Victory screen - Legends of Rock from Beavis & Butthead
21/Bonus 1 - Accelerator by AD_79
22/Bonus 2 - (Not sure)

So yes.

11 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

@Doomkid e1 - if it is okay at this point i'll go through the map and see if can remove the boom triggers without requirering a massive overhaul.

Hey NH, if you want to do that it would be cool, but don't feel pressured - your map is fine as-is if you want to leave it this way. The only ports that can't present play it are Vanilla, Chocolate and Crispy - it seems to work perfectly in everything else, so if it seems to much effort, don't worry about it. It's still a very enjoyable map.

21 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Those chainguns originally came from the 3D Alchemy graphics library by Justin Fisher.

Thanks Gokuma, that explains why they were so common! Also good ear, I was hoping to have the sounds mesh just enough to keep the player on their toes, wondering if it was indeed another monster around the corner.

12 hours ago, Theperson said:

In the first map is the track Covenant Dance from Halo CE or am I insane?

You're right!

5 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Tarnsman streaming Rowdy Rudy 2.

Really glad Tarns seems to be enjoying it for the first 3 maps.

I attempted to pick a suitable name, but if you don't like it Mikey just let me know and I'll change it before the idgames upload!

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I attempted to pick a suitable name, but if you don't like it Mikey just let me know and I'll change it before the idgames upload!

Jungle Assault.

Thanks for the great feedback on MAP03! I've just played through the first few maps myself and I love how you blended them into each other. @Doomkid, if you decide you want to toughen up my map before final release you're welcome to do so, as I tend towards wimpy difficulty in my levels (I also hadn't intended to make the berserk secret a one-time door, but that can stay if it isn't horribly unfair) - though personally I think it sits well as an early map!

In spoiler I have videos for the levels that I missed when I played the earlier beta as they weren't included yet.

Bugs:
Level 21: A switch doesn't animate (17:25 in video)

Level 22: It is possible to get softlocked in the secret (20:50 in video). I deliberately softlocked myself here as a test in the video, but it is feasible that a player could do it accidentally

Spoiler

Thanks for finding these spots Horus, definitely going to have them ironed out by the end. I'll also make sure those monsters release properly in 22.