Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP! Final Version RELEASED, now on idgames!

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks for finding these spots Horus, definitely going to have them ironed out by the end. I'll also make sure those monsters release properly in 22.

Ha I knew I forgot to mention something in my post!

45 minutes ago, JXC said:

The Wad crashes on the Bethesda port

Yeah, unfortunately from what I'm hearing that port doesn't have the power to handle Rudy. It doesn't support renaming sprites, in other words :[ Maybe I'll bite the bullet and convert every ol' thing to using the DEUSF format, but I always hated forcing the player to inflate the wad.. Not that it will matter for 99.9% of players. So maybe it's worth it.

Or you could wait a few months, I think sponge is likely to fix this eventually.

@Horus

thanks for playing my map!

i was certain i had a version lying around with the misaligments fixed but i dont. so it will be a few days before i can fix those and submit a fixed map.

11 hours ago, Gez said:

Or you could wait a few months, I think sponge is likely to fix this eventually.

Didn't realize that was on the cards, but it makes sense since several old TCs and PCs I can think of use this method. Looking forward to it!

Really happy to see it out, as always, your use of DEHACKED made it the most unique. Good challenge, had a blast playing it, enemies and weapons feel so fresh too. My feedback is: Your best as of yet!

Replayed it once again on Hurt Me Plenty. For some reason, I still didn't get bored of it like I usually do after playing a custom WAD for a couple of hours, let alone playtesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing it on idgames! 

On 9/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, Dimon12321 said:

Replayed it once again on Hurt Me Plenty. For some reason, I still didn't get bored of it like I usually do after playing a custom WAD for a couple of hours, let alone playtesting.

I'm so glad to hear that Dimon! I'm thinking it should be on idgames in about 2 weeks (with very little different, so you've still got the right picture if you've already played it a couple times :)

Playing in DosBox on HMP. Very clever and intuitive map design, without being either obvious or cryptic. I'm not a tester by any means so I haven't knowingly encountered any issues, but everything so far feels like Saturday Morning Cartoon: the game. Not sure if that means anything if outside the US, but the array of enemy space marines combined with the jungle tech aesthetic and music feels like an alternate GI Joe universe. Very fun atmosphere and action with a good indoor/outdoor balance, and HMP is challenging but still lets me run around like a hero. No complaints from me, I'm excited to play through it again once it's released on idgames!

I'm editing rather than bumping to update my experience so far, as I'm sure someone is bound to read it eventually: I'm up to map 16 and it's just as fun as when I started. It does get pretty tough (for me) on HMP, but I've noticed that around certain areas near keys or important switches, if I don't fire, the insane hordes of monsters don't spawn in, and I sort of like that. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it's welcome. The weapons are top notch, the berserk fists are the most fun I've had in a while with Dehacked edits. The vending machine secrets are really fun to encounter, and hearing a Gwar MIDI rendition in the story screen is most welcome. The song choices seem well thought out overall. The fact that all this works in vanilla Doom is probably the best part.

Edited by Lippeth

Hi there! Just beat the main campaign and am going through the extra two maps.

I honestly loved this wad to the bone, the new weapons and enemies deliver a fresh and fast paced experience that's just boatloads of fun.

Highly memorable maps, especially the latter half of the pack, map18 in specific kicked my ass and it was great.

There's a little sour grape in the pack though and it saddens me to point it out, but Map20 straight out ruined the wad for me and left a bitter taste.

It's not because it's a slaughtermap, technically Map19 was a slaughtermap as well and it was plenty of fun.

Map20 relies on ammo stravation on top of slaughter and brutal fights, has ammo stashes behind monster filled closets so you have to lure them out, Archviles included, just to grab some ammo while you get yourself cornered.

As it stands right now, for pistol start at least, the map is extremely unbalanced and needs further improvements to be on par with the rest of the pack.

Other than that one I honestly had a blast and I hope to see Rowdy Rudy kick some more ass in the future!

Thanks so much for the review, Terminus! I’ll ask darkmaster if he minds adding a handful of extra supplies. I enjoyed the map, but I can definitely picture it being divisive. I’m always seeking more opinions so this is very helpful. I’m glad you had a good time with the wad overall!

Originally, every fight had more supplies, but it was cut down because I thought it was too easy to win by camping, and I didn't want to constantly lock doors or spam arch vile/PE to push the player forwards. Perhaps I could do the latter and add more rockets, or bring HNTR closer to parity with UV, only with more pickups.

Hey, not sure if the WAD is open to any last minute changes, sorry it took so long, but I got a couple very minor changes to map09 and map10 based on some feedback. HERE

• Brightened up the area around the RL on map09
  • Brightened up the BFG secret switch on map10
  • Changed player spawn orientation on map10, looks weird not facing the door
  • moved the cyberdemon in front of the exit bars on map10, changed the sector heights/time to accomodate for some cyber fighting.
  • added a soulsphere and a light amp instead of the blursphere to medium and easy respectively, on map 10.

I modified the maps based on the current RC, should be fine.

Great, thanks DFF! I don't mind that it's a tad late, the idgames submission is probably about two weeks off yet.

Noticed you put Unknown for map 22's music. Thats actually an exclusive midi I created for my level DK. I titled it Jungle Assault just like the level.

Hey DK, did some quick updates to map14 based on a few playthroughs. The big one was HAK's discovery that (at least in Crispy Doom, but I'm assuming any port), the entire finale could be skipped by simply hitting the exit switch from below the platform. Whoops! Just glad this was caught before the idgames upload!

RJD_map14_fix.zip

On 10/7/2020 at 3:10 AM, MikeyScoots said:

Noticed you put Unknown for map 22's music. Thats actually an exclusive midi I created for my level DK. I titled it Jungle Assault just like the level.

Oh man, I didn't even realize. That MIDI is killer, a total ear worm. Well done! I'll get that credit fixed up before upload.

57 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hey DK, did some quick updates to map14 based on a few playthroughs. The big one was HAK's discovery that (at least in Crispy Doom, but I'm assuming any port), the entire finale could be skipped by simply hitting the exit switch from below the platform. Whoops! Just glad this was caught before the idgames upload!

RJD_map14_fix.zip

This is exactly why I wanted to wait until Henry finished his playthrough before uploading, lol! Plus FrancisT18 has been doing some helpful feedback as well, in a few weeks I think it will have been thoroughly playtested enough to upload comfortably. (I probably just jinxed it by saying that!)

@RonnieJamesDiner, I expected nobody would notice that and I would show that insane shortcut in my future speedrun after the WAD is out =))

Nevertheless, I respect the designed gaming without all those cunning tricks and I apologize for not telling you about it.

When I discovered it, I was confused about the pillars between the switch. Like you knew that, but decided to disguise it a little.

Edited by Dimon12321

5 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

I expected nobody would notice that and I would show that insane shortcut in my future speedrun after the WAD is out =))

Nevertheless, I respect the designed gaming without all those cunning tricks and I apologize for not telling you about it.

Hah, no problem. I briefly considered leaving it as a speedrunning trick (and actually, HAK even mentioned something about that in his demo). But... I just couldn't. Had to spoil the fun :P

Yeeeeeaaaah, this is so 90's... I'm not gonna shoot them between the eyes... I 'm gonna shoot them between the BALLS!!

Hey fellas, just popping RC2 here with all of the fixed up to this point! Just in case anyone wants to do some last minute tweaks, please use this RC2 as a base.

(old link)

Edited by Doomkid

Just load them after you load the base wad in PrBoom+ or a ZDoom-based port, so -file rudy2rc2.wad rudy2ext.wad should do it. Some ports, for whatever bizarre reason, might want them loaded back to front. If Map21 says "The end!" on the automap, load them the other way around. I'll definitely include instructions or maybe even a batch file before final release..

EDIT: Also, @Doom_Dude would you mind if I added a small handful of extra monsters to your map on UV? I won't add any to the starting cave area since I think it's cool and kind of lonely, but a few areas felt a bit sparse. Would that be okay? Also @Philnemba would you be opposed to the idea of a second cyberdemon for Cyber Factory? I think it would make that final battle just a bit more interesting, before diving into xdarkmasterx's finale. Let me know what you guys think.

Your map is still Boom at the moment, but that's okay because MikeyScoots' map is also Boom, and the bonus wad being 2 Boom maps feels like a proper little expansion. If you want to do a vanilla conversion you can, but I think it's totally fine as it is.

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Your map is still Boom at the moment, but that's okay because MikeyScoots' map is also Boom, and the bonus wad being 2 Boom maps feels like a proper little expansion. If you want to do a vanilla conversion you can, but I think it's totally fine as it is.

I'm fixing textures misaligments currently but it's probably better if it stays boom because of the added work of trying to make it fit into the main campaign.