Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

DOOM Unity port WAD Suggestion thread

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Choco3.0 doesn't load up the internal dehacked lumps, you have to load them with -deh command. Maybe a dev build make it, don't know.

I am referring to the merging process here. Choco doom can do that with -merge.

(also, can you help me with VULD later? i can't seem to run it properly)

For sure. PM me, tell me what its about :)

Then we can ask @sponge how much the parameter were raised to be sure. And also what kind of dehacked the port uses. Regular dehacked or Dehextra.

Doom2p.exe raises the parameter the following way:

limit                                          : old * k = new
-------------------------------------------------------
visplanes[MAXVISPLANES]         : 128 * 8 = 1024
drawsegs[MAXDRAWSEGS]         : 256 * 8 = 2048
SAVEGAMESIZE                         : 180224 * 16 = 2883584
activeplats[MAXPLATS]               : 30 * 256 = 7680
vissprites[MAXVISSPRITE]            : 128 * 8 = 1024
linespeciallist[MAXLINEANIMS]      : 64 * 256 = 16384
openings[MAXOPENINGS]            : 16384 * 4 = 65536

if the raised limit Crispy, Woof! and Prboom+ are far above this numbers.

I doubt the Unity port uses something as newfangled as DEHEXTRA - perhaps it does support parts of it, which would be big news if true, but DEHEXTRA as a standard is a very recent thing, eventhough Retro and Crispy have had it for a while.

Crispy i believe certainly does raise beyond the Doom-plus limits since Crispy extends far beyond most things these days :P

Also don't worry much about the binary based changed. Aliens TC is one of the first TC, made in 1994 and it already had dehacked patches that worked perfectly with it. You can play Aliens TC on chocolate, too.

That's probably the dehacked fix already. When Aliens TC was released, DeHackEd was still on the binary based patch (Till 1.2)* But this is a bold claim i am making here purely from memory when playtesting VULD so it may very well be that Aliens already switched over to a text-based one, but given the timeframe i am leaning towards the opposite.

DEHEXTRA came around about a month too late, and I'm not confident enough about my understanding of that stuff to have risked it on such a short notice, unfortunately.

I went ahead and added the Unity port to DoomWiki's static limit pages. I don't see SAVEGAMESIZE on there but that's raised to 5000000 (and it doesn't use the dang screen backbuffer as scratch storage either)

7 hours ago, maxmanium said:

You can load internal DEHACKED lumps with -dehlump.

WHAT

That's good to know, thanks.

The Unity port isn't limit-removing, it just increases the limits.

IIRC, some levels from some add-on wads had to be removed due to that.

14 minutes ago, Juza said:

The Unity port isn't limit-removing, it just increases the limits.

IIRC, some levels from some add-on wads had to be removed due to that.

Increasing limits meets the community definition of limit removing, and as such it is limit removing.

Only 1 level was removed due to a issue with tall sectors in the original renderer, which is not a static limit but rather an issue with the mathematics of the original renderer itself.

Currently some Misc stuff isn't working in Doom Classic yet.

The creator of Doom2X-treme has posted over on B net Doom 2 forum that a bunch of stuff in this isn't working:

Misc 0
IDKFA Armor = 666
Green Armor Class = 2
Megasphere Health = 666
Max Health = 666
Initial Bullets = 250
IDFA Armor Class = 6
IDFA Armor = 666
Max Soulsphere = 300
BFG Cells/Shot = 2
Max Armor = 666
God Mode Health = 666
Blue Armor Class = 4
IDKFA Armor Class = 6

And in EntryHangar I replicated old Doom v1.2 and older behavior where armor bonuses can take you well past 200 but this doesn't work either.  (Actually exact behavior lets you go over 999 but I didn't want any graphic oddities)

Misc 0
Max Armor = 999

What about Jenesis? Jimmy's worked on enough projects for the Unity Port at this point to be considered an ID member, so he would totally be fine if another one of his WADs were made.

17 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

What about Jenesis? Jimmy's worked on enough projects for the Unity Port at this point to be considered an ID member, so he would totally be fine if another one of his WADs were made.

Unfortunately, Unity port still not support Boom mapping format, and Jenesis is a Boom compatible megawad.
But yes, its pretty good.
The one that i would love to see added to the port is Doom Zero, perfect maps with a really amazing dehacked work.
Another one would be Vile Flesh, but unfortunately, its boom, even when it don't uses any boom feature.
Recently, i think i found a succesor to Vile Flesh that is called CPD. Its a really great megawad that, right now, its on the final balancing phase.
Marvelous experience!

Edited by P41R47

Rekkr was added! That's awesome! I wonder what will be released next?

What about Doom the Way ID did it? They already added NEIS, and now they have DeHackEd for the sequel.

Edited by LiT_gam3r

those are probably licensing nightmares due to the amount of people involved. But if we do get DTWIDD, it better come with Episode 4.

How about Plutonia 2? There's some copyrighted content in there, but it could be replaced (unless you really wanna negotiate with Bobby Prince to license Gutwrench), the question would be if the people involved are all alive and available to ask.

Otherwise, I would VERY enthusiastically support the inclusion of TNT Revilution if possible, and certainly Nihility : Infinite Teeth, which in my opinion is one of the best .wads ever made for the original Doom, and one of the best releases of the 2010s.

Doom 64 For Doom 2 would also be a great candidate, if Bethesda is worried about the branding, maybe rename it as Total Absolution or something.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

How about Plutonia 2? There's some copyrighted content in there, but it could be replaced (unless you really wanna negotiate with Bobby Prince to license Gutwrench), the question would be if the people involved are all alive and available to ask.

Otherwise, I would VERY enthusiastically support the inclusion of TNT Revilution if possible

Unfortunatelly, both Final Doom sequels are pretty much on the same situation, pal!

One of the most important mappers on Plutonia 2, Gusta, from Kama Sutra fame, isn't reacheable right now, as some of the other mappers and musicians and people who made some textures.

Its kinda sad, because they were certainly important projects, and they deserve to be officialized, in some way to show what the community can achieve as a whole, and more to come.

Aside from that, for me the best option for inclusion is Doom Zero right now.

Its maps are on par with REKKR and BTSX, not on the larger or detailed side, but yes on their complex design.

Lunar Catastrophe is a great contender limit removing mapset. It start very Knee Deep in Romero style at first, but then it becomes it own thing with great challenging maps.

Also, CPD comes as a good choice for inclusion. One man megawad with really fun and challenging maps.

They are quite a lot of projects that could be added, Return to Hadron serie, Doom 404, for example, but there are not much mapsets with heavy dehacked work, and i think thats what they are seeking right now.

There are just a few with ton of dehacked work, like Struggle, but it has a lot of Heretic graphics in it.

The other one is CABIN by Undeadryker, amazing wad, a but short, but really fun.

Hope to see something interesting.

Maybe something designed specifically for the new port would be interesting to see.

With heavy DeHacked work, that's exactly why I suggested Nihility, it does a lot with enemies and ambient sound effects.

18 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Maybe something designed specifically for the new port would be interesting to see.

That would be significantly limiting in and out of itself.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

That would be significantly limiting in and out of itself.

Yeah, i know how it sound, but what i mean its a mapset designed in limit removing with a lot of dehacked and in the modern standar of mapping.

Just that.

But i'm curious, why do you say limiting in and out?

The new classic Unity port is now a limit removing port that supports dehacked.

Revae did REKKR on vanilla settings, with static limits far more limiting than the ones on this port.

24 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Yeah, i know how it sound, but what i mean its a mapset designed in limit removing with a lot of dehacked and in the modern standar of mapping.

Just that.

That would be an ambitious project.

But i'm curious, why do you say limiting in and out?

''Maybe something designed specifically for the new port would be interesting to see.'' - As in, exclusively for the Unity port.

The new classic Unity port is now a limit removing port that supports dehacked.

Revae did REKKR on vanilla settings, with static limits far more limiting than the ones on this port.

So it wouldn't be specifically for the Unity port, but any port that is LR and with DEH support (So PrBoom/Woof/Crispy/Doom Retro) if i get your gist right.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

As in, exclusively for the Unity port.

No haha that why i say that it sounded wrong :P

What i tried to say is a mapset designed with what the team behind the Unity port seeks.

Not as it is exclusive to the port.
I worded it really bad

Edited by P41R47

The sprite fix mod is something that should be integrated into the base IWADs and already-featured mods. On its own it doesn't hold much interest since the port is unable to load more than one mod at a time.

Would it be possible to add the capability of loading more than one at a time? Would it be possible to make it a toggle in the options menu somehow, perhaps with a warning that it may not be fully compatible with all mods?

I've been meaning to ask this, and googling answers has turned up fruitless. 

Is there ANY way to load in DeHackEd wads into Unity DOOM?(Yes, that's what I call the new port.)

I remember seeing videos talking about that feature, but they NEVER went into detail about the process. Maybe I'm a DOOM Peasant, I don't know.

Thanks to whoever can answer my question.

The dehacked code needs to be in a DEHACKED lump in the wad.

Loading the wad itself requires packaging it as a custom add-on, i.e. putting it in the proper subfolder.

There's absolutely nothing special about it at all, it's pretty much the same you would do with any other port with support of internal dehacked, but with a built in launcher instead of a command line.

It's just a case of finding your WADs directory, which will either be "\Users\<user name>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs" or "\Users\<user name>\One Drive\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs" or some other variation thereof, it depends on where Windows designates your Saved Games folder to be. Your chosen WAD will then be shown in the addons menu.

Oh wow. I forgot there was once a time when I went by LiT_Gam3r. lol. 

I don't know if they saw Gez's or Edwards posts, so I'll just ping @Hot_Pink_Doomguy

Don't want to fully resurrect this thread, but I would like to point out how cool it is that some people are actually making Wads for the Unity Port, in hopes that it one day may be added for console players. That's pretty neat!

7 hours ago, Chip said:

some people are actually making Wads for the Unity Port, in hopes that it one day may be added for console players. That's pretty neat!

(I haven't given up hope on Bourgeois Megawad..! *crosses fingers*)

Let's add Plutonia 2 and TNT Revilution. Both are unofficial sequels to Plutonia and Evilution, but they rock