Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

DOOM Unity port WAD Suggestion thread

9 hours ago, Chip said:

Does anybody know if there are any other Vanilla Total Conversions that don't inflict on copyright other than REKKR?

HACX is a perfect choice. Especially since its part of Doom's history.

46 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

A lot of images I’ve seen seem to really on ZDoom features such as floor over floor - if that’s not the case I’m not sure how the moving train or this tree were achieved.

The train on map08 doesn't move, it's just a trick with animated textures. And the trees are made of mid-textures.

6 hours ago, Noiser said:

Harmony is almost vanilla compatible, except for the hi-def sprites and music. The music could be replaced with the Jimmy version, but the sprites would need to be recreated on 320x200.

Not even the sprites have to be replaced.

dLYmx7z.jpg

See how the cyberdemons in the background are smaller than the cyberdemon in the foreground? That's because the vanilla engine is perfectly capable of scaling down sprites and textures. That's how it handles distance. All Harmony support needs is to add a scale property to the mobj_t struct (default value 1) and read it from Harmony's DEHACKED lump, and then plug that value in the already-existing scaling function.

6 hours ago, Devalaous said:

HACX is a perfect choice. Especially since its part of Doom's history.

Yeah, but it incomplete state kinda plays against it :/
If only a community project that replaces the hasty made maps and then complete the other ones that are missing existed, it would be perfect.
That give me a good idea! :D

Edited by P41R47

6 hours ago, Noiser said:

The train on map08 doesn't move, it's just a trick with animated textures. And the trees are made of mid-textures.

Wow, that’s extremely impressive.

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Yeah, but it incomplete state kinda plays against it :/
If only a community project that replaces the hasty made maps and then complete the other ones that are missing existed, it would be perfect.
That give me a good idea! :D

Hacx 2.0 has been in development for a very long time, and is currently on hold. The 1.2 release should be fine though. 

39 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Hacx 2.0 has been in development for a very long time, and is currently on hold.

2.0 unfortunatelly its only compatible with zdoom base ports by now, at least the last demo out there.

1.2 is fine, but is incomplete with just 21 maps and a most of the second episode full of filler maps that are deathmatch arenas modified for single player.

HACX totally deserves more love and maybe a community project for it with new dehacked tweaks.

I would second Doomkid, Borgdm wasn't just the best set of deathmatch maps this year (as far as I know) and if there are any better it's not vanilla.  But it's easily in my top 10 wads from this year.  I played the whole thing in coop in one sitting with a friend and he really enjoyed the wad.  Other than when the server started to freak out at the end we had an excellent time.  I've also had an great time using it as a set of DM maps so they don't disappoint in that regard. 

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Many words

Wow, this is an impassioned post if I ever saw one. I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in, of course I'm happy to change anything that's needed, but the Megawad Club also seemed to enjoy the wad, and Wadazine also had a great feature. Whether or not it actually gets onto the Unity Port, I am happy to see the reception regardless, and hope people keep enjoying the wad no matter how they decide to play it.

19 minutes ago, El juancho said:

I can't believe we still don't have alien vendetta in the unity port.

Better believe it. Between using assets from other games and the unfortunate passing of Kim André Malde, this one is very unlikely to get added anytime soon.

I know @Andy Johnsen and @Szymanski entertained the possibility of making a cleaned-up version for the port, but I don’t know how much if any work was ever done on it.

Edit: I know I’ve voiced my support for Bourgeois Deathmatch before, but man, what an awesome set of levels. The rerelease ports are severely lacking in the Deathmatch area, and this really would be a brilliant addon to rectify that.

11 minutes ago, El juancho said:

I can't believe we still don't have alien vendetta in the unity port.

There are a lot of reasons for why Alien Vendetta could not be included nowdays.

-First, there are some unreacheable members, like the late Kim André Malde and other just are not in contact at all with the community.

-Second, there are a lot of resources from other games, like textures and midis from Heretic, midi from Carmageddon and Descent, and a lot more of textures ripped from other sources. And thats a big no, as the unity port doesn't have the license from the respective owners to allow that content.

-Third, even when Alien Vendetta is one of the mos beloved mapset of all the time, the team behind the unity port prefer mapset from the last decade to these days. So its the same with other great mapsets of the old time.

-Fourth, the number of authors in the megawad is pretty big, and the unity port team seek megawad made by a low number of members as possible.

-Fifth, there are contracts to be made for every member, so its easier to seek projects of the members that already have a contract.

And maybe there are more reasons, but i don't want to think anymore.
:P

Hope that answer your question.

Sounds and textures can be replaced or remade, it's extra work but not much of a problem. Obviously Kim can't consent or dissent to any changes, I'm not sure if that's an issue. If a team member did object it may be possible to work around (map substitution, remake etc). As far as I'm aware nobody from id has shown any interest in AV so there's no incentive to put any effort in. 

99.9% chance it won't happen, I've asked but received no response.

Edited by Szymanski : new info

@Doomkid can confirm I enjoyed the WAD :)

I can't see any reason it shouldn't be able to become an official add-on for the unity port? Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, Szymanski said:

99.9% chance it won't happen, I've asked but received no response.

It's been discussed, but Kim's passing puts AV out of reach. Bethesda's legal would have to sort things out with his estate, which probably means his closest family, but that quickly becomes a thorny, uncomfortable issue, so they're likely to avoid such options.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:36 AM, P41R47 said:

And maybe there are more reasons, but i don't want to think anymore.
:P

Hope that answer your question.

Hopefully somebody can make a Unity friendly texture pack for Alien Vendetta by replacing all the Heretic & Hexen textures with new original ones.

7 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Hopefully somebody can make a Unity friendly texture pack for Alien Vendetta by replacing all the Heretic & Hexen textures with new original ones.

As discussed in literally the post before yours, there are greater hurdles than the Heretic and Hexen textures. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

when a mapper passes away, that's a massive roadblock on getting permissions. textures are second concern.

What i'd like to see is PSX Doom maps and sound effects for the unity port. Of course it can't do everything PSX Doom does but at least the mapset would be nice, maybe split between the 2 releases. Also a separate option for PSX Doom sound effects for all mapsets would be much appreciated! 

51 minutes ago, Muusi said:

What i'd like to see is PSX Doom maps and sound effects for the unity port. Of course it can't do everything PSX Doom does but at least the mapset would be nice, maybe split between the 2 releases. Also a separate option for PSX Doom sound effects for all mapsets would be much appreciated! 

i may be wrong, but i think the sound FX are property of Midway or Aubrey Hodges, so i don't think that would be doable :/

The dark, the especial light effect, the new sounds and the music, all combined, made PSX Doom what it is.

Strip all that and Leave just the maps, and you will have a downgraded version of the PC maps with lots of monotexturing.
And since they are slighty different to the PC maps, they are probably property of Midway, too.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

i may be wrong, but i think the sound FX are property of Midway or Aubrey Hodges, so i don't think that would be doable :/

The dark, the especial light effect, the new sounds and the music, all combined, made PSX Doom what it is.

Strip all that and Leave just the maps, and you will have a downgraded version of the PC maps with lots of monotexturing.
And since they are slighty different to the PC maps, they are probably property of Midway, too.

But the Doom 64 rerelease happened too! Maybe in a magical fairytale land it could be possible. 

Consoledoom.wad has PSX Doom maps that are vanilla compatible and i think they look kinda good, even without PSX Doom's superior features. Might be a niche but still :P

1 minute ago, Muusi said:

But the Doom 64 rerelease happened too! Maybe in a magical fairytale land it could be possible. 

yeah, maybe on a separate project, just like Doom 64 Remastered, a PSX Doom remastered could be interesting

But as a project candidate to be included on this re-release new users friendly port, i don't think it has much use, especially since the Doomnity port is not able to replicate all the things that made PSX Doom interesting. :/

We definitely need to create a group of "Remod" artists to develop "Remod" packs for older MegaWADs made during the 1990s to 2000s to replace every texture and every midi file from other games with original music and textures. So therefore, a Remod group for Doom PWADs similar to those Half-Life 1 "Remods" that we are getting today.

13 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

We definitely need to create a group of "Remod" artists to develop "Remod" packs for older MegaWADs made during the 1990s to 2000s to replace every texture and every midi file from other games with original music and textures. So therefore, a Remod group for Doom PWADs similar to those Half-Life 1 "Remods" that we are getting today.

I’ve thought about that too. It would be cool if a small team could do a remake/update of the Memento Mori trilogy aimed at the Unity port, for exampling - selecting the best levels and set pieces from those older maps and remaking them from scratch with more modern gameplay sensibilities.

49 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

What do you hope to accomplish with this? The Unity ports still won't be able to use anything from such work, given the mod author permissions would not be sufficient. The old mods aren't licensed under creative commons.

This has, in effect, already been explained to you on this very page. 

Edited by Edward850

On 7/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, omalefico32x said:

we need DM wads in there too it is a huge part of doom that i think got lost with time hell im still mad at it not being on doom eternal because they "didnt want to chase trends" with makes no sense since doom created dm

Pursuit, Eternal DM, or any of the other TNT Deathmatch wads wpuld be nice to see.

Also my beloved GothicDM1 and 2. 

However, I really don't see wads without a single player element making it into this port. There isn't any server system and splistscreen sadly isn't as common as it used to be. In my case, my singling just don't want to play Doom with me. So for cases like that, iD / Nerve probably doesn't want add something a majority can't get much out of.

Not speaking for myself though, I love playing DM and wandering around empty maps. 

Oh and EXEC.WAD would be an amazing addition. 

1 minute ago, Muusi said:

Green War would be awesome to see since there's really no deathmatch stuff in the port. 

According to WadArchive that would need a Boom-compatible port, which the official port is not.