Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

DOOM Unity port WAD Suggestion thread

2 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

According to WadArchive that would need a Boom-compatible port, which the official port is not.

Oh? All these years I've thought it's all vanilla stuff. 

On 11/29/2021 at 7:07 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Pursuit, Eternal DM, or any of the other TNT Deathmatch wads wpuld be nice to see.

Also my beloved GothicDM1 and 2. 

However, I really don't see wads without a single player element making it into this port. There isn't any server system and splistscreen sadly isn't as common as it used to be. In my case, my singling just don't want to play Doom with me. So for cases like that, iD / Nerve probably doesn't want add something a majority can't get much out of.

Not speaking for myself though, I love playing DM and wandering around empty maps. 

Oh and EXEC.WAD would be an amazing addition. 

I would love to see any of the old TNT project's represented, but with Ty's passing I doubt it.  Same reason we won't get AV or almost any of the classics.  I would say the only clear path forward to get any classic style content in the port would be to emulate the style of the classics because any wad that was actually in that style has no chance.  I have no clue if Gothicdm could even make it in the port but I am uncertain. 

6 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

I would love to see any of the old TNT project's represented, but with Ty's passing I doubt it.  Same reason we won't get AV or almost any of the classics.  I would say the only clear path forward to get any classic style content in the port would be to emulate the style of the classics because any wad that was actually in that style has no chance.  I have no clue if Gothicdm could even make it in the port but I am uncertain. 

Well even if we could get permission for old teams like TNT or the AV Team, the guys that add them said they were looking for more modern stuff. At least the last ten years, I think. As much as I love Alien Vendetta, it's 20 years old now. 

10 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Well even if we could get permission for old teams like TNT or the AV Team, the guys that add them said they were looking for more modern stuff. At least the last ten years, I think. As much as I love Alien Vendetta, it's 20 years old now. 

Yeah, if most popular stuff wasn't boom I think we could have so much more excellent content in the port. 

12 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

Yeah, if most popular stuff wasn't boom I think we could have so much more excellent content in the port. 

Agreed. Raised limits are a lot of fun to map for. People just love Boom, myself included. Overall, I feel like we saw more Boom, EDGE, and ZDoom stuff in the early 2000s. Sure there's plenty of Boom and UDMF stuff still but limit removing and vanilla compat wads seem to be having a comeback lately. Doomkid and the 1000 lines team have put out some great stuff. Adam Windsor released Doom404 not that long ago, etc. 

Heck, Community Trunk is going to be raised limits (I'm testing maps in Doom2+). I wonder if we make sure to add a DMAPINFO if we can talk with the Nerve guys (wait does Nerve add stuff, or Id? Is it Bethesda?) and get it added. Kind of a pipedream. I still think some Doomkid wads need to be added. 

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

(wait does Nerve add stuff, or Id? Is it Bethesda?)

It’s actually just Sponge, an id employee. He’s here on the forums and you can reach out to him if you want to see it added, but as I understand it he pays more attention to Cacoward winners or ones he sees frequently requested on here. He’s also been swamped between this and the new Quake port, which he is also helping with and selecting the future addons for.

20 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

It’s actually just Sponge, an id employee. He’s here on the forums and you can reach out to him if you want to see it added, but as I understand it he pays more attention to Cacoward winners or ones he sees frequently requested on here. He’s also been swamped between this and the new Quake port, which he is also helping with and selecting the future addons for.

Understandable. Thanks for the info. It's not out yet, so it definitely doesn't have a Caco Award.

It's more of a pipe dream, really Doomkid deserves at least three of his most recent wads on there. I know he's been trying with BourgDM.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:37 AM, Muusi said:

Green War would be awesome to see since there's really no deathmatch stuff in the port. 

On 12/1/2021 at 4:39 AM, Faceman2000 said:

According to WadArchive that would need a Boom-compatible port, which the official port is not.

Wad-Archive lists a ton of Vanilla wads as being for Boom, it’s not an accurate indicator. Not only GreenWar, but about half of my own wads are erroneously listed as being in Boom format when no Boom features are used. (The site uses some form of auto-map-format detection, probably based on what lumps are present in the wad, so I’m not that surprised it’s wrong every now and then).

Ah, so GreenWar could happen! It's essential for DM stuff, let's not pretend like Map20 isn't the best DM map ever made😎

1 hour ago, Blackpuppy said:

Would Nuts ever be able to make the list? I know it’s a joke ROM, but it IS a very famous one…

No, BPRD left the community, Bethesda doesn't want to brick consoles, and it's a joke map.

24 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

No, BPRD left the community, Bethesda doesn't want to brick consoles, and it's a joke map.

Legitimately curious how an Xbox Series X would run Nuts . . . .

They about as powerful as a mid range gaming pc. But isn't Nuts a Boom wad?

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Legitimately curious how an Xbox Series X would run Nuts . . . .

They about as powerful as a mid range gaming pc. But isn't Nuts a Boom wad?

A Xbox with developer mode enabled can run custom software, if you have 20 dollars burning a hole in your pocket and a xbox one or series x to test it on it's not a bad deal.  There are worse ways to spend 20 dollars.

41 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

A Xbox with developer mode enabled can run custom software, if you have 20 dollars burning a hole in your pocket and a xbox one or series x to test it on it's not a bad deal.  There are worse ways to spend 20 dollars.

I have a Series X, as I was an Xbox gamer long before I was a PC gamer. I wouldn't know to get it in developer mode though. 

12 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I have a Series X, as I was an Xbox gamer long before I was a PC gamer. I wouldn't know to get it in developer mode though. 

It's actually easy, just download developer mode from the Microsoft store, get a developer account, and from there you can launch apps designed for Developer mode through that (At least one sourceport has to support it) You can freely switch back and forth from retail and Developer mode.

Well if community remod projects aren't going to work, maybe id Software should hire the other ZeniMax studios to remod both Vanilla and Limit-removing PWADs containing assets from Heretic & Hexen and other games (such as Build Engine games like Duke Nukem 3D, Blood & Shadow Warrior for example) and replacing them with their own edits of Doom's textures and using just the stock Doom MIDI music.

These ZeniMax studios include but not limited to:

Alpha Dog Games
Arkane Studios
Arkane Studios Austin
Bethesda Game Studios
Bethesda Game Studios Austin
Bethesda Game Studios Dallas
Bethesda Game Studios Montreal
id Software Frankfurt
MachineGames
RoundHouse Studios
Tango Gameworks
ZeniMax Online Studios

If they can get in contact with the original authors, then we don't need to the remod work, but even then, this might never officially happen, at least officially.

Your continual failure to understand the fundamental reasons this suggestion won’t work is honestly impressive. Ignoring the absurdity of your suggestion that Zenimax should actually pay people to add free content to a nearly thirty year old game, just replacing the offending assets is not enough in most cases. They legally need direct permission in the form of a signed contract from each person who worked on those wads before they can even consider adding them to the port. If this isn’t possible, there’s less than zero chance of it being added. If it is possible, then they can ask the author to simply replace any assets themselves - as they have done with each addon this far - and there is no need for a “remod” team.

To counterpoint, there also newly released .wads that are possible to be run in this Doom Port that plays with the knowdlege of 20+ years of many .wads released before, and are more easy to add that old 15 or 17 years old. 

Give the chance to the new blood, and that will bring more fans to this place.

6 hours ago, Astronomical said:

Also there hasn't been any add-on release so far that was a single map.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

Also there hasn't been any add-on release so far that was a single map.

Yeah all of the wads have been episode length, that’s the last reason to cite for it not being added, if BPRD was still in the community I would love to see Equinox added. I doubt it but it would be cool. 

Sorry for the double post but I don’t believe I can insert quotes on mobile though editing my last post.

21 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

To counterpoint, there also newly released .wads that are possible to be run in this Doom Port that plays with the knowdlege of 20+ years of many .wads released before, and are more easy to add that old 15 or 17 years old. 

Give the chance to the new blood, and that will bring more fans to this place.

But I want to second this idea, we tend to get focused on the wads of old to add but I believe that there are wads beyond BTSX that are also vanilla or limit removing, and also came out within the past 5 years. The obsession with Alien Vendetta being added is weird, it will never happen unless the stars aline, there are many wads that could be added that are just as good if not better that could be added way easier. 

Edited by Astronomical

I've sideloaded nuts on my Switch during development to test and it actually tanks the FPS pretty bad, although I did bump up the amount of sprites being drawn so its a little less broken rendering wise than vanillla.

Not sure how it works on the other consoles. It's possible it still lags because all the game logic and rendering has to happen on a single core. Computers and consoles are fast now, but they're fast because of how many cores and how powerful the GPUs are. It's pretty easy to make a 25 year old game run slow on a modern system if you specifically ignore everything that makes modern systems fast.

3x resolution in 16:9 at 60FPS was already a problem in some of the more complex addon maps we have, it was one of the many reasons we standardized on 2x resolution across all platforms when we added widescreen support.

10 hours ago, sponge said:

I've sideloaded nuts on my Switch during development to test and it actually tanks the FPS pretty bad, although I did bump up the amount of sprites being drawn so its a little less broken rendering wise than vanillla.

So sideloading IS possible?! Now i really want a jailbroken PS4! 

1 hour ago, Muusi said:

So sideloading IS possible?! Now i really want a jailbroken PS4! 

Sponge is the developer, of course he has the power to deploy and test whatever needed. Likewise I ran a version of nuts.wad for Doom64 on the Switch*, but that's because I can compile and launch the build with whatever parameters I like, it's a rather necessary function for the devtools. :P

*Which by the way ran kind of okay, but Doom64 has a little extra legroom due to being GPU rendered and with multithreaded audio.

I don't think jailbreaking your PS4 will give you quite the same control, only the PC and Android versions are designed to sideload content. You'd have to modify the cache storage in very specific ways for the PS4.

Or you need to buy a devkit from Sony. Though you'll have to convince them to sell it to you.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Sponge is the developer, of course he has the power to deploy and test whatever needed. Likewise I ran a version of nuts.wad for Doom64 on the Switch*, but that's because I can compile and launch the build with whatever parameters I like, it's a rather necessary function for the devtools. :P

*Which by the way ran kind of okay, but Doom64 has a little extra legroom due to being GPU rendered and with multithreaded audio.

I don't think jailbreaking your PS4 will give you quite the same control, only the PC and Android versions are designed to sideload content. You'd have to modify the cache storage in very specific ways for the PS4.

My bubble has been savagely burst. I don't even know what a cache storage is🤣

I thought you could just install the game, then navigate to hdd0 and sneakily delete plutonia.wad for example, then transfer consoledoom.wad over the network and rename that into plutonia.wad and load plutonia in-game😅

On 12/1/2021 at 6:39 AM, Faceman2000 said:

The IWAD and source ports listed a generally guesses from different sources but mainly from @MTrop's library https://mtrop.github.io/DoomStruct/index.html (however the one I am using is probably out of date). It should be seen more as 'it should work on this but might work on source ports'. There is no way I am going over 90,000 WADs manually

I do want to mention that this years Cacowards did include many Vanilla-compatible Megawads as both winners and runner ups, including Bourgeois. I know Sponge has been focused on the Quake remaster recently (Which great job with, by the way), though I believe after seeing the many many Vanilla winners this year, there is no need to abandon WAD adding to the Unity Port. 

I haven't personally looked into many of these WADs, though I'm sure at least 1 should pose no difficulty in being added to Unity. 

The list includes:

Cydonia

Doom 2 in Spain Only

URE2020

Arrival

Down the Drain (Which I'm pretty sure is not licenced, though I honestly didn't look into it all that much)

Deadly Standards 3

1000 lines community project 3

Auger;Zenith

The Long Trek Back Home

Uprising 

Zone 400

Tetraptykon

Ray Mohawk 2

and of course, Bourgeois Megawad

That's a lot of content! I hope one of these gets added! Great stuff coming out that's vanilla compatible, and hopefully after seeing how many winners had vanilla WADs this year, it will inspire others to try at it and end up winning Cacowards of their own. 

That's all I wanted to ramble about. 

1 hour ago, Chip said:

That's all I wanted to ramble about. 

Pretty solid list! Sponge has pretty much ruled out Doom 2 in Spain only, saying the joke probably wouldn’t work in a general setting. I’m pretty sure Arrival will get added at some point - I think pretty much everything is stock besides the skies and Pavera has been featured in the addons several times already.

One I would love to see is Alpha Accident by @Wraith777. It’s got a lot of cool Dehacked features and as far as I can tell most of the textures are Wraith’s own. There’s one I recognize from Strain but that’s it. I also would love to see Base Ganymede get added. It’s 100% vanilla besides the songs by Mr Freeze, it has an interesting setup where each individual episode starts in the base and ends in hell, and I’m pretty sure Khorus has even said he’d love to see it included.

my suggestions from this year

Arrival: by one of Syringe's authors and very good. notably, the intense gameplay is the sort that people broadly love (Pavera's able to use archviles amply without people complaining!)

Bourgeois Megawad: quite popular and had a lot of people saying "I don't normally like combat-oriented wads but I enjoyed this"

Cydonia: one of the truest Plutonia homages ever, being often similar in scale. but far from a slavish homage -- it's two authors who were always good at small-scale combat and broad-strokes visual design...happening to stumble on Plutonia and find their strengths well suited to the pattern

No End in Sight 2: Plutonia Edition Doom 2 in Spain Only: humorous D2tWiD wad that is all-around very good and has enough layers to preserve interest even if some things might need changing 

The Long Trek Back Home: sort of a reverse trip through a reimagined Doom 2, which is a hook and concept that a very broad audience can easily understand, but there's also much more to it than that

(for the future, URE2020 + URE2021 + ??? might also be a really good grouping, but I'd probably wait until it could be bundled)