Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dylux

Should TC's be eligible for Cacowards?

Should TC's be eligible for Cacowards? 

Many TC's or partial TC's have won a Cacoward (e.g., Avactor). And I don't support that. Don't get me wrong, some TC's are great games but I feel once the weapons or monsters are altered in any way via a Total Conversion, it ceases to become Doom, therefore disqualifying it to be eligible for a Doom Cacoward. The TC may have the same parameters as Doom, but that's about it. The graphics have changed, thus so has the Doom game.

For example, if an author incorporates Duke Nukem switches in a Doom WAD, the WAD now becomes partially Duke Nukem with Doom parameters, or "rules." Perhaps the Cacowards should have a TC catagory on its own.

Just because you wrap a papaya in banana peel doesn't make it a banana.

Agree or disagree?

2 minutes ago, dylux said:

Just because you wrap a papaya in banana peel doesn't make it a banana.

I think TCs are the other way around : you place a papaya peel around a banana and as such it still is a banana (because they run on the same game engine as doom, deep down it's still doom)

and yes, I do think TCs should be eligible.

The most recent Cacowards seem to only consider TCs that are sufficiently similar to Doom's normal gameplay for the main awards, which seems fine to me. Technically a lot of mapsets which only add a new enemy or two or simply use source port features would end up counting as partial conversions as you described it.

Didn't Action Doom 2 already win some? That's pretty much past-precedent there.

To me, there's plenty of space for "Damn, this mapset is amazing with how it stretches the limits of traditional Doom gameplay" along with "Damn, this TC is amazing with how it stretches the limits of the Doom Engine."

Both are enjoyable and worthy, they're simply different flavors. Perhaps split it into separate categories (i.e; "Best TC"/"Best Traditional Mapset") so that we're not comparing apples to oranges and so that there's still space for traditional Doom content, but other than that I see no reason to make TCs/advanced mods ineligible.

I also disagree. Saying that someone's hard work is ineligible for recognition because they changed it too much seems absurd to me.

10 minutes ago, Gez said:

Besides what's next? You mention Duke 3D switches; those are just textures. Are textures "rules"? Does that mean you wouldn't want levels with custom textures to win awards either? I suppose custom music should be banned too, and obviously any sort of source port requirement is out of question. And, really, if you think about it -- isn't replacing the levels also altering the purity of the game? If I start E1M1 and there isn't a recessed pit of blue carpet in front of me and a bartisan with a green armor on the left, it ceases to be Doom and therefore should be disqualified from the Cacowards.

Very solid argument. Best so far. Thanks for your input! :)

Strongly disagree from the deep bottom of my rotting soul!

Using the Doom engine to make something far different than Doom is the foremost reason moding started.

Its like @kalaeth said, if you are still using the doom engine its doom in its core.

Also by saying that TC are inelegible you are forgotten about Doom 64, prerty much a partial conversion.

have you tried REKKR? if not, please try it.

Its soo different but still so Doom in its core that you can't simply ignore it. All the aknowledge through all these years reunited on a single project, showing what can be done with patience and passion.

Its the high pinacle of Doom mapping and moding.

Yes, they should be eligible.

Not liking partial/total conversion mods is not the same thing as conversion mods not deserving recognition in the same arena as everything else. The Cacoward team probably has enough trouble picking a handful of winners out of dozens (if not hundreds) of releases every year, without saddling them with having to define the weird abstraction of "What Is Doom(?)" (though I'm sure they fight over this in their own way). Cacowards go to Doom mods; it's clean and simple and it works.

As an alternative, you're more than welcome to start an annual "IWAD Resources Only" award, if you're genuinely passionate about highlighting those kinds of releases. I'm sure the thread(s) would gain traction and popularity, if done well.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Hm... perhaps it would be good to visibly note somehow whenever wads use heavily modified things, so that people know right off the bat that it uses new weapons or enemies.

A lot of people do look to the cacowards to find good wads... but you know, not everyone is really looking for a zany nuanced TC that makes all imps into recolored Hexen monsters or something. Maybe that would be more reasonable than making TCs ineligible for awards. *shrugs* Just for discussion's sake.

The cacowards articles are pretty clear about that. They even come with screenshots!

1 hour ago, Hellektronic said:

Hm... perhaps it would be good to visibly note somehow whenever wads use heavily modified things, so that people know right off the bat that it uses new weapons or enemies.

As far as I'm concerned, that's solely on the WAD author and how they choose to advertise their project, and what information they do/do not include in the text file. It's not really the Cacowards' job. I get where you're coming from, but again, I don't think the Cacoward write-up is supposed to act in place of the forum post/text file.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

I believe that TCs should get Cacowards, since they're just Doom, but in a different style, still having the core features of Doom. Also, I recently played Army of Darkness TC, and I think it needs a genuine Cacoward, even if it's like... 23 years old.

Obvious disagree. TC's are practically new games in terms of atmosphere, but megawads, in a way, can be considered new games aswell, just that they appear in the Doom universe. Atleast that's how i view a megawad. As a completely unofficial side game in the Doom universe.

Standalone mods, TC's, new mapping tricks: Cacowards celebrates a many thing.

Honestly, I feel TCs should remain eligible. I don't mind the idea of them getting their own category, but to say they can't be eligible seems a bit unfair to me. I think it's amazing how far Doom has come, and what can be done with it. So things like TCs or partial TCs definitely deserve their spot in the sun, after all, they're really cool!

TC is very faithful to original : Why not just play the original game?!

TC modifies shit instead of being a port over : The fuck you ruined it. Why do modders always think they are better than ReAl devs?

TC does fuck all and doesn't deserve downloading : All TCs are garbage.

If it's a .wad or .pk3 file and runs in an engine made to run Doom, it's eligible for a Cacoward in my book.

5 hours ago, kalaeth said:

I think TCs are the other way around : you place a papaya peel around a banana and as such it still is a banana (because they run on the same game engine as doom, deep down it's still doom)

and yes, I do think TCs should be eligible.

it's a babaya.

and as long as it runs on the doom engine, it's doom. or should one count how many graphics were replaced? are tcs with up to 10 replaced graphics (sprites, flats, textures, whatever) more eligible than tcs with 20 or more graphics replaced? that's making it confusing when it's not. avactor for example is still easy to recognize as a doom mod.

Making new assets, programming new mechanics and designing new maps with those assets and mechanics in mind for a TC is something that requires a ton more appreciation and dedication to Doom than the vast majority of people who make custom content for Doom have. To say that kind of effort and dedication should be disqualifying in and of itself is a slap in the face to anybody with any kind of sense.

Edited by Marn

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Strongly disagree from the deep bottom of my rotting soul!

have you tried REKKR? if not, please try it.

Its soo different but still so Doom in its core that you can't simply ignore it. All the aknowledge through all these years reunited on a single project, showing what can be done with patience and passion.

Its the high pinacle of Doom mapping and moding.

LMAO!! @ "Strongly disagree from the deep bottom of my rotting soul!"

I have not tried REKKR but it is on my to do list.

Some people are under the impression that I do not like TC's and that I think TC's are trash. That is soooo not the case. I DO like some TC's as long as they are not "jokester" WADS. Avactor is a sensational WAD and both BTSX's are my absolute faves. And I agree that some TC's are and can be an improvement over the "normal" or mainstream Doom WAD. I also agree that an author's imagination is endless in his or her design.

The consensus appears to be that as long as you utilize the Doom engine, then everything is fair game.

I'm just saying that once you change the textures, modify the weapons, add new monsters, etc., then the TC no longer is DOOM. It's a conversion. Even says so in the "TC" name.

If you convert a priest into a warrior in a role playing game (assuming the priest loses all his spells), for example, is he still a priest even though he's human like the warrior? No he's not. He's been converted... 

Evidently, I am alone in this. LOL!!

Thanks for keeping the name calling out of this. I have posted threads before where immature people would call me names just because they disagree. We're all adults here and forums are for fun discussion and information.

I appreciate everyone's input. Keep them coming!! You guys make very valid points.

Edited by dylux

Maybe have a section of the Cacowards that are exclusively for TCs would be good since then people that make regular WADs would still be rewarded for their efforts and vice-versa.

Yeah I think this is a very strange question since TCs have been eligible for fame ever since Doomworld was a thing and there's no real reason to stop it.