Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Samuel Slayer

Hyperdeath v2 - Play my first ever demo, please! Playtesters needed!

First of all, hello everyone! I'm a fairly new mapper, starting around late 2018. Have done various wads since then and 2020, but nothing I've been confident showcasing in Doomworld. Until now. I've compiled a 2-level demo wad that I recently posted in Henry Korver's & Austinado's threads. They gave me feedback on what's wrong with the levels and I took a couple days to fix those issues & balancing the level to make them more accessible, challenging, more exciting. And so now I'm uploading Hyperdeath v2 and if you're reading this, it's your turn to give your two cents on it. Please, play them & give feedback. What did you like, what didn't you like, etc. I need these levels tested. Record and post a video if you want! :)

As Henry & Austinado pointed out, there were too much items and health on the levels. There was no challenge and the levels felt grindy. That feedback has been heard and changed.

For the Slaughterwad veterans out there: These levels are traditional exploration focused as seen in Doom 1&2. The levels are meant to be somewhat accessible to everyone. And the episode is still heavily WIP. Featuring only Maps 1 & 5 repurposed into Maps01-02. If you think these levels are too easy, that is why. Hopefully ppl find some challenge in the new Hyper-Violence difficulty setting found in the menus. Adding fast-monsters. Thank you!

=====================================================================

Changes in V2:

MAP01:

-Added Chaingunners

-Put a Super Shotgun in the secret altar on a pool of lava.

-Added Chaingunner reveal inside the techbunker. Kill him to claim the Chaingun!.

-Reduced amount of monsters.

-Reduced amount of items and health.

-Blue armor now found in the secret lava alley.

-Added new optional room leading to blue armor secret - two rooms in total.

-Added new Caco surprise in the house ;)!

MAP02:

-Metal gates can now be accessed manually.

-Added 2 rocket launchers near the gates.

-Reduced amount of items and health.

-Severely reduced BFG ammo and rocket ammo.

-BFG & Rocket ammo rebalance.

-Monster placements and encounters altered.

-Removed switch texture from secret berserk switch.

-More Arch-viles and Revenants to increase challenge.

-More cover in the courtyard.

-Archies, Revvies, Barons, Chainbros & a Pain-elemental .etc mobs now teleport to the courtyard.

-4 new monster teleport closets to the courtyard.

-Arch-vile spawns in the furnace base after acquiring a certain key...

-More Hell Knights teleport into the red skull key cave room.

-Revenant teleport squad added.

-Altered monster encounters near the exit. 

=====================================================================

Overview:

This wad file includes reasonably sized short-to-medium -length hell levels for an episode I'm working on. No freelook or jumping required. Lava pits have obstacle decorations as teleport markers to get out of harm's way fast. Use it to mitigate health lost if you fall in. The gameplay's vanilla, old-school made for GZDoom in mind, customized pistol with faster tics & modified difficulty settings, read difficulty descriptions in the main menu to find out what they do. Compatibility used in editor is Doom format for GZDoom: Doom2. Let me know if there's some hiccups and I'll see if I can fix them. I tried my best to make the experience fair but shortly increasing in challenge is also the point. If you choose the insane difficulties, the challenge is quite instant. My maps are made for Smooth Doom (faster pistols won't work with Smooth Doom) in mind for the optimal experience, but do what feels good for you.

Wad info:

PWAD: Hyperdeath

IWAD: Doom 2

Maps: Two levels. Short to medium length.

Source Port Tested on: GZDoom

Music: Killswitch Engage - In The Unblind & Trivium - Ember To Inferno in midi 

Difficulty: Medium to Hard

Gameplay time: 10-12 mins & 15-20 mins

Custom Sky: Yes.

Compatibility: GZDoom. 

Gameplay: Continuous, level design supports pistol starts. No Freelook, No Jumping, No Crouching required.

Additional info: Set in Hell. Hyperdeath is a demo that experiments in my attemps at things like custom CWILV letters on menus, MAPINFO editing and modified weapon tics for the pistol to fire faster. The levels are small to medium, taking inspiration from Id Software's IWAD level scale. There will be lots of monsters for more epic  fights & will span the game time a little bit. There's also light puzzles with switches and keys that need to be found to progress. Other than that, the levels are meant to be sorta short and sweet that expands in length and ramps up in difficulty. 

Demo features:

- Modified difficulties.

- Deadly lava, dealing -20 damage

- Bright red magma rocks that deal minor damage

- Damaging hell cracks for minor damage.

- Faster pistol

- Switches and keys

- Secrets

- Custom textures

- Ambushing monsters from teleport closets and rising from the ground

- Custom fist sounds

- White teleporters will not teleport you anywhere, but they will behave as a teleport marker where the player will be teleported to when needed, the white color differentiates them from the red ones, that does teleport the player normally.

- Doom 1 intermission menu music

- BFG9000 (secret)

HHB01.png

HHB02.png

OFTE01.png

OFTE02.png

Updated Download:

Sam_HellDemo_HyperDeath_v2.rar

Edited by Samuel Slayer : editing text

Hotfix Update: There was a small problem with the midvine texture not appearing correctly in the wad. I've updated the patchtable and it should work correctly now. If you are experiencing problems with the midvine in the caves of MAP01, download this updated wad file:

Apologies for any inconvenience. This was my bad.

Sam_HellDemo_HyperDeath_v2.rar

Edited by Samuel Slayer

I play that and that was Fuuuuuuun experience

+

Good detailed design

Some memorization

Not too big

Not boring

-

At easy mode this wad is JUST TOO EASY

Too much ammo

Overall 8\10 (its just my opinion)