Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Thoughts on the new Unity Port Update?

Just now, The Strife Commando said:

The Xbox 360 version is still available, which doesn't have the censorship.

And? you do realize that we already have 2 console generations that came after the 360 right?

my point still stands.

18 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

And? you do realize that we already have 2 console generations that came after the 360 right?

my point still stands.

Backwards compatibility. Anyway, someday the Wolfenstein maps will be in their former glory.

Just purchased the new console version for the sake of it. I play on Crispy Doom, but this is pretty nice to have as backup in case something happens to my computer.

Impressive considering how many shit ports there have been of the game over the years. Nice to have a decent one on modern systems.

My only gripe would be the soundfornt they use. Sounds naff, even when compared to SC-55-like soundfonts on a computer, and certainly disappointing compared to a real Sound Canvas, which I own.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Well there are mods that remove censorship, so no problem.

But why is that so important for you?

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

my point still stands.

No Jazz, you literally have to spell every single variable out, or it will get mentioned otherwise.

Which is kind of ironic considering that same train of thought isn't applied on oneself.

54 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Backwards compatibility. Anyway, someday the Wolfenstein maps will be in their former glory.

Please realize that you are consistently grasping for straws here when you have an entire grassy field you could lay down upon.

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Again, and?

This version wont remain backwards compatible for forever.

Point still stands buddy.

Gotta raise that post count i guess *Shrug*

4 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

The Xbox 360 version is still available, which doesn't have the censorship.

The 360 port got delisted after the unity port was released, there's no way to buy it anymore.

Wolf 3D was censored on Xbox 360.. Go to E3L10 and you won’t be seeing the Pac-Man ghosts. Oh, and the medkits have red hearts on them instead of red crosses. Where’s TSC’s outrage for that? 

Edited by Gerolf

3 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

The 360 port got delisted after the unity port was released, there's no way to buy it anymore.

I still have the game on Xbox Live though.

Does the Unity port have No Rest For The Living?

6 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Does the Unity port have No Rest For The Living?

It has No Rest For The Living, both Final Doom, Sigil, Double Impact, No End in Sight, Deathless, BTSX I, BTSX II, REKKR, and Doom Zero.

And no, new players can't play the version you have, and so, this new Doomnity port is the best way to introduce new players to Doom.

Note that "1 extra version" is actually "6 extra builds" since we'd have to do a German/Worldwide release on all 6 platforms, bringing the total builds I'd have to manage from an already ludicrous 12, to 18. Given that the 2 secret levels are now 1.9 compatible, and the wall textures aren't blanked anymore, I don't particularly give much credence to complaints of censorship anymore.

Odd that some people are ok with censorship now. In the past, people got mad over censorship in games. Duke Nukem 64 for example.

Meh, you should learn what censorship actually is.

I mean, sure, technically changing some textures in an Easter egg area can be considered as censorship, but really it changes nothing meaningful. Because the Wolfenstein levels in Doom II had nothing to say except "hey look, remember our previous game?" and editing the textures to get rid of Hitler's mustache does not change that.

If the Nazi imagery was actually meaningful in its use in Doom II, it would be different. But it wasn't. It was there just to look like a remake of two Wolfenstein levels in the new engine, and changing some textures and one sound effect does not change that.

26 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Odd that some people are ok with censorship now. In the past, people got mad over censorship in games. Duke Nukem 64 for example.

get over it, this was discussed long before you brought it, and like a million times even before that.

Even if there is some censorship, the unmodified wads are still there, so where is the damage?

Do you even realice that some nazi people could be affected that some of their patriots get killed in a game?

We are now more inclusive!

Id Software was removing Nazi symbols from Doom all the way back in 1994, and nobody seems to complain about that being censorship (at least anymore, any complaints didn't seem to make it out of the early 90's). Why is it only now and only Doom2 you are complaining about, @The Strife Commando

Gamers cry censorship for the silly of things.

image.png.61f0ecb992a25e646315c9863088fd0a.png

There's are reasons for censor, and not censor, and he have a lot of proof of was what needed in Doom.

Maybe if was a game where it's the central point, yeah, it's understable to figth, but when it's something trivial, it's just don't bother and change it, it's not like it's something that is the soul of the game.

49 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Trying to tie the moralistic anti-sex-and-violence censorship of the 80's and 90's to the modern desire to remove Nazi iconography from pop culture under the same "censorship" umbrella is really reductive.  They come from two completely different trains of thought, and it's possible for somebody to want one while not wanting the other.

I think you’re misunderstanding wanting censorship (which I don’t think anyone truly wants wolfenstein to be censored) vs doing it because it’s necessary to keep from having to make multiple versions of the same game and because in some places it’s the law that must be followed in order for something to be sold in those places, TSC.

I think most people who played Wolfenstein, including Germans,  didn’t turn into nazis because they saw a swastika and mustache, so yes, the reasons behind the censorship laws are silly when you really think about it, but for some people it’s the only way they'll be able to legally purchase the game in their countries is through this type of censorship. I don’t really see the problem with that. It’s better than just not giving them anything, more productive than making 6 or more variants of the same program, and... it’s two SECRET levels anyways. It’s not a major part of the game. 

At this point, you’re going to keep hearing the same shit over and over and I really hope you decide to just move on from this conversation if you refuse to understand. 

Edited by Gerolf

1 minute ago, Gerolf said:

At this point, you’re going to keep hearing the same shit over and over and I really hope you decide to just move on from this conversation if you refuse to understand.  

I actually think his reaction is totally understandable.

People going to bat for fascist iconography is not an accident - it's by design.  At this point people have more of a reaction to the removal of Nazi symbols than the red crosses on the medkits at this point, and that's saying something.

Strong reactions to its removal by people like TSC is not only emblematic of its attraction to people, but a perfect example of why it must be removed from popular culture in the first place.

Also you have to consider that the Wolfenstein levels in Doom II were already heavily censored because they removed the dogs. What, you can't shoot animals anymore? They have to be replaced with demons? It's censorship!!!! And the treasure items were removed! We used to be able to pick up crowns and crucifixes to gain points, and now we can't anymore? This is censorship that will offend Christians and Monarchists! Censorship, censorship everywhere!

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Also you have to consider that the Wolfenstein levels in Doom II were already heavily censored because they removed the dogs. What, you can't shoot animals anymore? They have to be replaced with demons? It's censorship!!!! And the treasure items were removed! We used to be able to pick up crowns and crucifixes to gain points, and now we can't anymore? This is censorship that will offend Christians and Monarchists! Censorship, censorship everywhere!

your comment merits a censorship!

How could you put crown and crucifixes, and Christians and Monarchists on the same sentence?

Blasphemy!

I was just saying. Don't think I went crazy over it. As P41 said, the original wads are there. End of this discussion. Now back to the main topic because I made a fool of myself.

Edited by The Strife Commando

Leaving aside the bikeshedding discussion...

15 hours ago, Gerolf said:

Personally, I’d love to see Romero and/or Petersen make two new maps for Doom II to replace those levels, because they really aren’t that great.

Whilst this is extremely unlikely to happen at this stage, it would be really cool and nice, indeed.

12 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Port. It didn't say source port.

There's no distinction. "Source port" is just a little-bit-silly term by the community reflecting fan-made ports after the source code was released. They're still ports regardless.

Heck, id Software is even using mostly the same source code for this port. :)

10 hours ago, braders1986 said:

My only gripe would be the soundfornt they use. Sounds naff, even when compared to SC-55-like soundfonts on a computer, and certainly disappointing compared to a real Sound Canvas, which I own.

The IWAD music plays off of recordings from an actual SC-55.

2 hours ago, chungy said:

The IWAD music plays off of recordings from an actual SC-55.

Sounds nothing like my SC-55 MKII. Chance they could have used another Sound Canvas. Maybe an 88 or similar ?

It really doesn't sound close to the 55.

39 minutes ago, braders1986 said:

Sounds nothing like my SC-55 MKII. Chance they could have used another Sound Canvas. Maybe an 88 or similar ?

It really doesn't sound close to the 55.

No chance at all. We know exactly how it was recorded, it's indisputable that the IWAD music came off an SC-55. Here's a video of the process: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MKdwQgY7y/

We also as a community generally know what an SC-55 sounds like. And aside from anything else, it's soundfont was used for the Windows software MIDI synth, their similarity isn't a coincidence.

That is indeed the SC-55 I used to record the IWAD music. Add-ons will use the GUS soundfont since we obviously can't ship Roland sound samples.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No chance at all. We know exactly how it was recorded, it's indisputable that the IWAD music came off an SC-55. Here's a video of the process: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MKdwQgY7y/

I'm curious about seeing the video. is there a version that isn't behind a login wall?

1 hour ago, chungy said:

I'm curious about seeing the video. is there a version that isn't behind a login wall?

What login wall? I most certainly don't have an Instagram account. If your web browser is playing silly buggers, I did some scraping of the HTML and this direct link might work.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No chance at all.

no worries..  Aside from losing a little audio quality, that's pretty much how I remember it.