Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Thoughts on the new Unity Port Update?

Bad compression, pitch changing or something strange is going on then. That, or my Playstation isn't playing back the Unity music correctly. I just spent half hour listing to both unity music, and my SC-55, and it  just isn't the same.

I'm not trying to pull anyone's pisser here, I just honestly can't hear the same thing.

I trust in what you guys are saying, so I'm just really fucking bamboozled lol

Edited by braders1986

@braders1986 perhaps record D_E1M1 on your own SC-55 then so others can compare? There might even be something wrong with yours that could be diagnosed. 

7 hours ago, braders1986 said:

Bad compression, pitch changing or something strange is going on then.

Nope; the music in DOOM Classic Unity sounds as it should.  There is likely an issue with the audio of either your PlayStation or your SC-55 happening.

Here's the in-game music compared to another set of real SC-55 recordings (the ones by MusicallyInspired):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsds4kdlpjerub6/doom - e1m1 - real sc-55 comparison.wav?dl=0

One half of the file is MusicallyInspired's recording, which is how the SC-55 sounds.  The other half is the music from the Classic Unity release, which is also how the SC-55 sounds.  Can you tell which is which?  Aside from minor compression (and recording volume) differences, they should sound the same.

Yea, in my opinion, it's a decent source port, but a few things should be changed a bit:

- Default options are a joke (Mostly with the Randomized SFX, screw that.)
- Music looping should either be fixed or midi support should be added
- Running into objects doesn't stop momentum (I don't know if that's normal in DOSBox or unintended) but running into a dying monster with the solid flag still enabled with keep me running, which feels really off. Maybe that's just me, but idk.

2 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

- Running into objects doesn't stop momentum (I don't know if that's normal in DOSBox or unintended) but running into a dying monster with the solid flag still enabled with keep me running, which feels really off. Maybe that's just me, but idk.

It's just you. There is absolutely nothing different in the physics. After all, the 1.9 demos demonstrably work, if such a thing were different they would break immediately.

37 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It's just you. There is absolutely nothing different in the physics. After all, the 1.9 demos demonstrably work, if such a thing were different they would break immediately.

that's fair, guess newer ports have spoiled me :p

9 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Music looping should [...] be fixed

Sponge already responded to that; Unity doesn't natively support loop points.

9 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

midi support should be added

MIDI support is already there.  Add-ons use the default Gravis UltraSound patches for playing MIDIs as the Roland samples are copyrighted.  The base games use SC-55 recordings, which allows the music to sound as the composer intended while avoiding the need to include Roland's samples.

there's still no 16:10 ratio support, only 16:9 with 1920*1200 letterbox, otherwise a decent port, i also miss freelook

12 hours ago, st0jan said:

there's still no 16:10 ratio support, only 16:9 with 1920*1200 letterbox, otherwise a decent port, i also miss freelook

Freelook has never been a native feature to Doom and falls well outside the purview of this port.