Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Does r/Doom make you cringe as much as it makes me?

I mean it makes sense that the newer, more popular games are going to be the center of attention on that subreddit. But yeah I could do without Doomslayer memes basically being Chuck Norris Facts 2.0.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

BRO U JUST NEED TO RIP AND TEAE HAHA WOW BRO SO EPIC

I just saved everyone the pain of visiting not only the Doom reddit but also the Facebook page(s).

Thank you kind sir hahaha. I probably don't even want to take a peek, even out of morbid curiosity, namely as we all know subreddits are most of the time really cringy in general lol. 

I'd say the mainstream doom community as a whole is like what you're describing, the subreddit is just a reflection of that. Reducing doom to a simple power fantasy about RIPPING and TEARING and KEELING DEEMONS with LE BFG isn't really something new, but the new games and the immense popularity of brutal style mods really contribute to that. Shame, there's a lot of stuff most people don't even give a chance because it deviates too far from what they've come to expect from the doom series, but oh well. 

I don't feel the cringe, but is understable, as here there so much old people that like other type of community.

Rip 'n Tear!

image.png.9d4feec18862f1a9cdce88e7f85fa132.png

If you can't read the car, it says Daisy, but that isn't the dumbest thing about this post. No! This person just happens to have their DOOM-slayer right on them in the passengers seat! imagine driving around everywhere you go with a cosplay helmet on your seat! And I get that they were looking for this, but imagine they never found it? 

716765063_Screenshot2020-09-04at10_39_08PM.png.e0fe78e906e12031de10698c9d02582a.png

Wow! I really enjoy! That looks like it took between 1 maybe 2 minutes! I actually laughed out loud with this one! But the best part... THE BEST PART! Look at how many likes it has! 160 people enjoyed this! 

image.png.8368d8b768109b2a858a555825beaf59.png

okay. so? It really isn't that great. You just paused the game at a certain moment. 

Well, that about sums up r/doom for you. a shit place for shit people. 

image.png

Just now, DuckReconMajor said:

This thread is a retirement home van passing a Lil Pump concert

Hey, just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't fucks with Gucci Gang.

6 minutes ago, Endless said:

You kinda got a little bit triggered over there mate. Calling shit somebody for just sharing stuff they thought was funny/awesome, makes you look like... well...

Plus, that drawing, sure, is not a freaking art piece, but I'm pretty sure those upvotes made the guy feel better and encourege him to keep improving his drawing skills. I say this as someone that has a best friend that wants to become and artist and yet, despite her drawings or paintings not being the best, she enjoys every bit of support and good feedback.

PS: Reddit is as crap as you wish to look at it. Theres also good, really good stuff there. Like Doomworld, we also have some stinky stuff here.

Yeah, I mean I don't like Reddit either but it's not a good look to make fun of beginner art like that. Everyone has to start from simple things like that and practice, which is why positive encouragement is important. You wouldn't make fun of a new members first mapping effort here for example.

And that tattoo, It looks like its still a WIP. Tattoos that large are normally done over multiple sessions.

4 minutes ago, rampancy said:

lol im just happy the kids like doom. it means more doom for all of us. 

secondly, if theyre over there being loud and obnoxious, great. it means theyre not here being loud and obnoxious.

thirdly, this whole industry has always had its fair share of cringe. it is what it is. 

tbh i wish i could still get excited about a poorly drawn sword. something lost, something gained 😐

Thank you, for me this was a much needed dose of perspective.

29 minutes ago, lazy91geek said:

Pretty much every Reddit community is a giant circle jerk.

In the context of this thread this is a pretty ironic post. :P

Aside from my earlier complaint about the repetitive Doomslayer-as-super-macho-badass memes I don't really see what they've done to warrant such strong hatred. The egregious crime of (sometimes) being mildly annoying? Welcome to the Internet. There's some OK content, like some of the art is actually good, and there was a John Romero AMA recently. Also a lot of it is people asking innocent enough questions about setting up ports and WADs and whatnot. So it's not all bad.

i made that exhausting essay article post thing named "Doom 1 doesn't hold up anymore" and i posted it identically on doomworld and reddit.

its really amazing to me how the reactions on the forums here were really nuanced and interesting...like there were some people who took issue with my arguments but like i got the feeling that most people who were responding actually read my post. On reddit, almost none of the comments even made sense in relation to anything I actually wrote.

its absurd how dismissive people on reddit are... like they will see something that isnt the usual upvote-y reddit-fare and paradoxically be like "yeah yeah i've seen this all before" without even engaging with it properly, and just drop it out of hand. Meanwhile the reposts and circlejerky nonsense they literally inundate themselves with they treat as continually novel and interesting. It's insane 

34 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

In the context of this thread this is a pretty ironic post. :P

Aside from my earlier complaint about the repetitive Doomslayer-as-super-macho-badass memes I don't really see what they've done to warrant such strong hatred. The egregious crime of (sometimes) being mildly annoying? Welcome to the Internet. There's some OK content, like some of the art is actually good, and there was a John Romero AMA recently. Also a lot of it is people asking innocent enough questions about setting up ports and WADs and whatnot. So it's not all bad.

Annoying is an accurate word yes.  I think my issue with the Doom subreddit is that it is difficult to find the OK content you are talking about as the circlejerky memes tend to bottom it out and much of it never gets many upvotes.  I find you can get much better information on various source ports by looking around on these forums or other locations then on Reddit.  Honestly my biggest issue is that r/Doom is really more r/Doom2016+ and classic Doom doesn't factor as much into it.  That is understandable as I am sure the subreddit audience is generally younger and a bigger fan of the newer games and never really had much exposure to the old compared to forum goers here.  Honestly I don't mind a bit of circlejerking to some extent when it's in the right context but Reddit has no ability to segregate things into topics that would vastly help any sort of discovery/discussion on more serious points.  Would I call it all cringe? Honestly I have seen much worse and the term is overly used.  Sorry this was a bit long winded but I just felt I should throw in my more nuanced opinion despite my more aggressive comments in the past.

Yeah sure I'd be lying if I said the content of most subreddits didn't make me roll my eyes a little, but there's no reason for me to crap on other people's fun just because they don't enjoy something in the same way I do or for the same reasons. No need to gatekeep friggin' Doom.