Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Nick

The new steam update for doom 1 and 2 are bad

Oh, seems Bethy has pissed of so many players in the past...

I only learned about PC Unity port of Dwars video this year, and you know, actually bought it from Bethesda store and played some Plutonia split screen with my friend over Parsec, and it was fun. What I found was the port worked, you got patched Final Doom for free with both games and NRFTL with Doom 2, and by March patch (got my version in Summer) most annoying glitches were fixed. I didn't feel a bit bad, I could use community tools to extract wads for use with source port, didn't need to be online or even have the launcher once addons were downloaded. Heck, I found I could just put it on a pen drive and play on any of my PCs without any hassle.

Seeing the release notes for the September patch, I feel even more positive about the port.

I'm also feeel very positive about Bethy not having removed DOS versions from Steam, and having had waited until September patches before unleashing it on the Steam users. And damn, they are giving top class community wads to mobile and console players.

20 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

id Software aren't allowed to update their own game to run on modern platforms? (No, running inside an emulator is not running on modern platforms.)

@Quasar, @Kaiser and I updated Doom64 so it could run on PC at all and that was chucked on Steam; we aren't even part of id Software and it's being sold to you. Does that make us worse then Bethesda somehow?

You're a funny guy, I just love how you criticize everyone you don't agree with from your soap box of genius and get like 5 likes from all the creeps you always pal around with. This isn't the first time I've seen you do it, either.

Congratulations, your cronies agree with you. You're definitely better than Bethesda, you goddamned saint you.

My opinion isn't really that controversial. I'm just saying I don't like the unity port, in a thread about not liking the unity port. Is that wrong? Sometimes bitching is precisely what keeps us sane.

2 hours ago, Hellektronic said:

It offers pretty much no customization whatsoever... even though it could. It runs wads. Wow. It's a groundbreaking example of modern technology!

It supports 60 FPS refresh, and the new updates allows it to be user selectable up to 240 fps. It supports widescreen. It supports embedded dehacked lumps. It even supports sideloading on PC and Android.

What customization are you missing really? And if you are on Xbox One, what do you expect?

Because what you expect the game to do on XBO, do you also expect that of every other game on the platform?

No, it's severely unimpressive. Or maybe underwhelming is a better word. It's an attempt to commercialize the innovative sourceport work of others... to hide their shame that the original DOS games run on DOSbox, which is also non-commercial. Maybe they wanted to seem hip to the modding community?

The Unity framework that runs behind the original Doom engine (Which is unaltered afaik, so there is nothing commercial there) is their own work. So where is the commercialization step in this, or is this just a cheap ploy to insert some unfiltered assumption into the mix, like that they maybe wanted to be seen as hip to the community?

You could ask Sponge about any of these things since he is around. I am fairly certain that your assumptions will not have a basis in reality, however.

But I'd use DOSbox only because it's an authentic representation of DOS Doom to begin with. If I was serious about playing? I would probably use a sourceport, and applaud the work of these unpaid gents all the while.

You could just use Chocolate Doom for the exact same experience and more, but i take it you are a purist in your approach to Dooming? (There is nothing wrong with that, mind you)

2 hours ago, CyberDestroyer said:

Speaking of bootleg, ive played a shitty chromebook quake/doom clone

Any name that goes with that shitty clone? Cyboid, perhaps?

Well I'm speaking mostly from my experience with the console (Xbox One) version of this port... you can't do basic things the original DOS game allowed like resizing the screen or removing the HUD, that just made me cringe. I see a lot of people who appreciate being able to play these games on console, but eh... I'm spoiled by GZDoom. You can edit literally everything, and some wads require it just to run these days.

So basically you have a unrealistic expectation of the port and compare it to GZDoom and somehow expect that the Unity port does similar.
Not only that, you seem to dislike the Unity port not because of its qualitative merits, but because Bethesda treated other Doom ports wrongly when the Unity report replaced these, and calling the Unity port as a result crap (Which is not saying anything about its qualities).

How is that a fair assessment to the Unity port to you?

56 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It still amazes me how the very first thing the port shows you is the original title demo loop working 100% in sync, even in the addons, and yet there are still people insist that id Software (not Bethesda, the port is done by id themselves) must have changed something despite the explicit evidence to the contrary.

Life sure must be fascinating when you need to go out of your way to invent outright lies just so you have something seemingly to point out is wrong because you just refuse to allow something to be there. 

D6l8fu1.gif

(Its kind of worrysome how certain myths either still persist or get resurrected like a Arch-Vile on a bad day.)

33 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

DOSBox is a decent enough port of DOS, in my opinion...

Kind of ironic that you talk about the Unity port being crap and for computer illiterates, but do not know that DOSBOX is a emulator, not a port.

Just now, Hellektronic said:

You're a funny guy, I just love how you criticize everyone you don't agree with from your soap box of genius and get like 5 likes from all the creeps you always pal around with. This isn't the first time I've seen you do it, either.

Congratulations, your cronies agree with you. You're definitely better than Bethesda, you goddamned saint you.

My opinion isn't really that controversial. I'm just saying I don't like the unity port, in a thread about not liking the unity port.

You're talking about people who have done more for this community than you ever will. Delete your account and go somewhere else.

Just now, M_W said:

You're talking about people who have done more for this community than you ever will. Delete your account and go somewhere else.

I don't care what he's done, he was always a nasty person to me. *shrugs* I say I dislike something, jesus call the mods, we've got a traitor in our midsts.

I'm pretty blown away by how ungrateful some people can be. This port is fantastic for console gamers and is miles ahead of what was available on PC digital stores out of the box, defending BFG Editon or good lord even DOSBox has me fucking keking.

As someone who considers ZeniMax an unequivocally harmful influence on our culture, it seems to me that we're talking about 2020's equivalent of Doom95. It constitutes basic stewardship of the copyrighted product, gives everyone an easy way to obtain the game legally. I think it's a good thing, and it doesn't really need to be feature rich.

The bethesda.net login/advert is a bit worrying, but I think there are legitimate, non-intrusive reasons for it. As long as they allow access to the vanilla iwads I think we can call it a truce. I'm sure they'd like to turn the Doom community into a profitable walled garden under their complete control, but I think they realize that's impractical.

By comparison, could you imagine if the purchase of a Nintendo Switch port of an NES/SNES game came with a download link to a ROM file, which the user could legally use with whatever emulator they please? I'd be thrilled to pay for that. Never ever gonna happen though.

Just now, Lila Feuer said:

I'm pretty blown away by how ungrateful some people can be. This port is fantastic for console gamers and is miles ahead of what was available on PC digital stores out of the box, defending BFG Editon or good lord even DOSBox has me fucking keking.

Eh, it has qualities that are better than the BFG Edition. And obviously DOSBox. But hey, I'm not even saying I own this port on PC, I'm just bitching, hah. Stress manifests itself in mysterious ways.

I guess technically I do own it for Final Doom? If Final Doom got that update. I just bought it for the files once upon a time and deleted it soon after.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

The original game is still available and it can be played separately just fine, so the Unity version can be ignored altogether. This is why we can't have nice things, some people just don't deserve it.

I think a majority of the upsetness is two fold:

• The increase in size and the ads to Bethesda.net. The size increase is due to the ogg recording.
  • General disappointment against Bethesda for treating Doom poorly in the past.

The latter is used by to justify calling the Unity port crap, because Bethesda has had a hand in it. And was it not Bethesda who also treated the earlier Doom ports poorly?

Its judging the Unity port poorly by proxy. Not because the Unity port actually is crap, but because the publisher behind it did a stinky job with Doom in the past. That's all there is to it.

2 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

My opinion isn't really that controversial. I'm just saying I don't like the unity port, in a thread about not liking the unity port. Is that wrong? Sometimes bitching is precisely what keeps us sane.

Except you aren't saying that. You are being hyperbolic and calling it crap, using low-effort arguments to justify calling it as such.

There is a difference between rightful criticism and just being pedantic and gleefully obtuse.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Except you aren't saying that. You are being hyperbolic and calling it crap, using low-effort arguments to justify calling it as such.

There is a difference between rightful criticism and just being pedantic and gleefully obtuse.

Oh goodness, I over-stressed the harshness of "crap" and "junk". I'm a criminal. Clearly only a misanthropic animal would use such terms semi-seriously.

1 minute ago, Hellektronic said:

I don't care what he's done, he was always a nasty person to me. *shrugs* I say I dislike something, jesus call the mods, we've got a traitor in our midsts.

You aren't entitled to respect if you do not give it. He's probably been nasty to you because this is what you do whenever you show up.

I don't care that you don't like the Unity ports. I will never use them again after the five minutes I tested them. An hour ago, you were talking about how disrespectful the Unity port was to the people who have put work into the source ports, but now you're shitting on them because they don't share your childish, wacky, conspiracy-theory driven diatribe?

Never use a source port ever again.

4 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

I say I dislike something, jesus call the mods, we've got a traitor in our midsts.

It's your failure to step down from any of the objectively wrong reasonings you give for your opinions that make them a target, not the opinions themselves. Anybody can dislike something, but if you're going to sit here and expect us to nod in agreement while you rail on about "advertisements" and how DosBox is the most glorious and apparently only correct way to play Doom and all this other bullcrap, well, it isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, Quasar said:

It's your failure to step down from any of the objectively wrong reasonings you give for your opinions that make them a target, not the opinions themselves. Anybody can dislike something, but if you're going to sit here and expect us to nod in agreement while you rail on about "advertisements" and how DosBox is the most glorious and apparently only correct way to play Doom and all this other bullcrap, well, it isn't going to happen.

I didn't really suggest it was the best, did I? Jesus, I'm not good at this forum bullshit. You can't tell sarcasm from seriousness in text.

3 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Calm down, pal!
No body is at your neck.

To be clear, you don't said you don't like it.
You just say that it was crap, a mess and worse than BFG Edition.
Then started to say that they were tryiing to commercialize on community efforts and so.
A lot of things out of context and pretty much without knowledge.
And thats when people started to quote you.
Just accept that you let yourself go and say much of this things on ignorance and that it.

Its ok that you don't like it, we already understand that its not your taste.
But start saying that someone is nasty to you because he correct something that you say that is wrong in concept, not in nature, is just creeping.

5 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Nut that isn't what you said. If you had asserted that and that alone, you would maybe have had a point, however instead what you said was "it's even worse than the BFG Edition port.", "the new port is just a half-baked sourceport", "It's an attempt to commercialize the innovative sourceport work of others... to hide their shame that the original DOS games run on DOSbox, which is also non-commercial." (This one is just absurdist, the fact that a game they sold once isn't commercial but continuing to sell it now but with an updated port somehow magically is), and various other statements that breach beyond the concept of opinion, as well as insulting anybody who didn't agree with you right from the get go; "But I guess if you're a neophyte in the Doom religion, you can use this port if you don't understand computers,"

7 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Oh goodness, I over-stressed the harshness of "crap" and "junk". I'm a criminal. Clearly only a misanthropic animal would use such terms semi-seriously.

Its never too late to reflect upon your behavior in this thread and read the room that's present there.

If most disagree with your point of view and cite a near-universal reason as to why, perhaps there is more truth to it than you may now realize, as you are responding as fast as you possibly can right now.

5 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

I didn't really suggest it was the best, did I? Jesus, I'm not good at this forum bullshit. You can't tell sarcasm from seriousness.

If you were sarcastic, then sir: Nobody laughed. Injecting sarcasm amidst some rather hyperbolic conventions rarely gets picked upon in forums, just saying.*

*I wish i was sarcastic with this.

2 minutes ago, M_W said:

Can we lock this thread?

YES! OH MY GOD! I WANT IT TO END! CAN THE MODS DELETE IT FROM EXISTENCE? THIS IS JUST AWFUL! 

1 minute ago, M_W said:

Can we lock this thread?

Im with you, this thread had their fair share of discusion and it's going off the rails.

If there ever was any kind of discussion to be had on this topic in the first place, just like on the Steam forums and other places on the internet, solely for losers to bark at something they received for free.

4 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

As much as I don't agree with @Hellektronic's opinion of Bethesda ports, I'm very sad to see that much bashing towards a single person over such a trifle :(

Maybe that person should not have doubled down on his original smugness to start with.

There is plenty of criticism to dispense towards the Unity port, just like there is for any source port. But criticism should have nuance, and not be hyperbolic in nature.

4 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Just make it stop close it, dear god please, before someone gets me banned.

You can report your post and request a lock. I have now requested it for you.

1 minute ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

As much as I don't agree with @Hellektronic's opinion of Bethesda ports, I'm very sad to see that much bashing towards a single person over such a trifle :(

I'm used to it... but thanks for sympathizing with my plight.

28 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

My opinion isn't really that controversial.

Except the part where it is.

Disregarding the fact that you have fabricated problems that don't actually exist (like the dos version being replaced, despite still being there), the fact that you have formed an outspoken opinion on something you clearly know nothing about (for instance DosBox is an emulator for Dos, not a port like you seem to think it is) and the fact that you find a modern port ready to run out the door less convenient than emulation or a third party program like some contrarian shows us that you're either being purposefully ignorant of how ridiculous this is or are genuinely clueless.

EDIT: and you got it for free, I paid for mine.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

smugness

Smugness? You clearly don't seem to be reading the comments as intended, and maybe that's my fault... I'm willing to admit that. My words may've seem harsher than intended, fueling anger from people I don't even know, because I don't know you. I don't know Drew either. I don't know any of you. So why exactly do you feel the need to keep arguing over something so literally meaningless as the unity port coming to PC? I don't like it. I don't have to like it. And although my comments may come across as snide, that was (mostly) unintentional I think.

Let's call it day, folks.

10 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Just make it stop close it, dear god please, before someone gets me banned.

This is kind of point 2 of your problem in this thread. You came into this discussion already being insulting and dismissive, then you were insulting to anybody who called you out on it. Meanwhile you are apparently trying to criticise me for "being nasty" and then saying someone else is going to get you banned.

Your actions are your own, always have been, and you are getting out what you have put in yourself. You are putting on a surprise face when it was you and you alone were the one who instigated this discussion and dictated how it would inevitably go.