Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Generic Doomer

Doom 2 Map Recreation Project Beta

So I've decided to combine my doom 2 recreation maps that've I've complete so far, just in case anything unexpected happens to them, and so people can enjoy playing through them without hassle.

So far, map 1, map 2, map 3, map 4, map 5, map 13, and map 30 are all done and part of this package.

I decided to replace the Icon Of Sin with something a bit more special, some of you may find it familiar.
(I included Credits in the WAD file.)

I also decided to replace waterfall fog with ZDoom's particle fountains for simplicity and for LZDoom concerns.

Requires GZDoom or LZDoom to play, and the maps are made in UDMF format.
Also Requires the Doom 2 IWad.

I'll keep updating this forum as I go along with the project.

Updates:

Update 1: Minor update, fixed a few bugs, improved maps in a few ways.
Update 2: Added "Dead Scientists" (Credits provided in WAD), fixed more bugs, more map improvements.
Update 3: Improved grass with sloping, fixed more bugs.
Update 4: Improved Map 13 roads, added a new secret with blue armor.
Update 5: Removed Map 01 hallway pillars.

Update 6: Remade Icon Of Sin Arena, Fixed bugs.

Update 7: Added Multiplayer support, Fixed bugs, Improved sloping, Added better water transparency.

Screenshot (419).png

Doom2MapRecreationBeta.zip

Edited by Generic Doomer : Fixed Bugs

Just rememeber you probably won't be able to upload it to the archives.

4 hours ago, DSC said:

Just rememeber you probably won't be able to upload it to the archives.

@DSC

why though? it's full on recreations of the maps, not edits of the originals like honte's remaster

1 minute ago, Generic Doomer said:

@dcs

why though? it's full on recreations of the maps, not edits of the originals like honte's remaster

Ah, ok, I got the wrong impression then.

Hey, nice stuff dude ! Just tested the first map and this recreation is really smooth, I mean, it recreat well the original maps with architecture/sector improvement without being too "big" and out of the Vanilla feeling, good job.

Just, you said "Requires GZDoom or LZDoom", I know I'm some kind of a noob about script, source port engine, and stuffs... But I tried to launch the map with Zandronum and it worked well ?

On 10/23/2020 at 5:02 AM, Briøche said:

Hey, nice stuff dude ! Just tested the first map and this recreation is really smooth, I mean, it recreat well the original maps with architecture/sector improvement without being too "big" and out of the Vanilla feeling, good job.

Just, you said "Requires GZDoom or LZDoom", I know I'm some kind of a noob about script, source port engine, and stuffs... But I tried to launch the map with Zandronum and it worked well ?

well you see zandronum as mainly just a multiplayer port, which is why i didn't really bother mentioning it

Just played, and I enjoyed the new details here and there a lot. The outdoors were really cool too. I would play the whole thing for sure!

You're putting out some good stuff here, Doomer. I particularly loved your remake of The Focus and how you really incorporated that level's theme of using darkness. I also appreciate your restraint in using 3D floors for the sake of additional details, like you tend to reserve them for things like pylons on the wall or stacked planks or whatnot.

My only major critique right now is that your use of slopes in outdoor areas is really excessive. I would reserve the Zdoom terrain trickery for either out-of-bounds spaces or just towards the corners, largely because it's very intrusive towards gameplay and how Doomguy slips and trips over himself whenever he has to deal with the edge of a slope. And also on a slightly more opinionated note, I think the amount of noise in the terrain looks really weird. It doesn't dip and spike nearly that much IRL, ironically making it look less natural than just flat ground.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:07 PM, HQDefault said:

You're putting out some good stuff here, Doomer. I particularly loved your remake of The Focus and how you really incorporated that level's theme of using darkness. I also appreciate your restraint in using 3D floors for the sake of additional details, like you tend to reserve them for things like pylons on the wall or stacked planks or whatnot.

My only major critique right now is that your use of slopes in outdoor areas is really excessive. I would reserve the Zdoom terrain trickery for either out-of-bounds spaces or just towards the corners, largely because it's very intrusive towards gameplay and how Doomguy slips and trips over himself whenever he has to deal with the edge of a slope. And also on a slightly more opinionated note, I think the amount of noise in the terrain looks really weird. It doesn't dip and spike nearly that much IRL, ironically making it look less natural than just flat ground.

@HQDefaultyeah, the slope thing was because i saw a bunch of other realistic map packs doing it and thought "hey, what if i includes this?"

i'll reduce the amount of sloping going on and make it less extreme 

An interesting project! I have started playing it and I enjoy the expanded levels and additional details.

I must report an issue on MAP01: it is possible to acquire the secret Rocket Launcher by just hugging the wall before you get it open.

Just now, Rudolph said:

An interesting project! I have started playing it and I enjoy the expanded levels and additional details.

I must report an issue on MAP01: it is possible to acquire the secret Rocket Launcher by just hugging the wall before you get it open.

thanks for reporting

If I have one big criticism of MAP01 so far, it is that it may have too many details: for example, all the added tree trunks in the secret courtyard make it impossible to use the rocket launcher against the group of Imps.

Also, I was unable to get all the secrets in MAP05: the third one - located behind the exit room - does not trigger when I got there.

Edited by Rudolph

20 hours ago, Rudolph said:

If I have one big criticism of MAP01 so far, it is that it may have too many details: for example, all the added tree trunks in the secret courtyard make it impossible to use the rocket launcher against the group of Imps.

Also, I was unable to get all the secrets in MAP05: the third one - located behind the exit room - does not trigger when I got there.

i guess now is a better time than ever to fix that since i'm already planning to add multiplayer support

Alright, I am done with the maps. Overall, my biggest gripe is that you seem to have made areas narrower for no good reason and you overdid it with the tree trunks in the outside areas; not only does it make using the rocket launcher too dangerous, but it makes navigation for both the player and the monsters more complicated than it should be. Like, in MAP03, Demons kept getting stuck in those tree trunks.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Rudolph said:

Alright, I am done with the maps. Overall, my biggest gripe is that you seem to have made areas narrower for no good reason and you overdid it with the tree trunks in the outside areas; not only does it make using the rocket launcher too dangerous, but it makes navigation for both the player and the monsters more complicated than it should be. Like, in MAP03, Demons kept getting stuck in those tree trunks.

i will fix this in the next update

this was the first WAD i have ever played, i remember booting it up in october of 2020

On 6/16/2022 at 3:36 PM, Ordon said:

this was the first WAD i have ever played, i remember booting it up in october of 2020

nice to know i introduced someone to the magic of doom mapping